Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowman_McK posted:

Why the gently caress are people here taking the side of management against labour? gently caress is wrong with you idiots.

MMA fans see Dana buying and bulldozing all the houses next to him so he can make his own private water park and go "Wow that's loving awesome!" instead of "How about sorting out people who are on 10/10 or who had their fight cancelled by your biggest star and now have a very sick newborn who need help" because people are traaaaaaaaash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Roncho posted:

BJ was stinking rich before he ever set foot in a cage.

No, his family was stinking rich. He personally became worth 30 million as a result of his career. He's probably been pretty smart with his money, but he's been extremely well paid for his work.

tesilential posted:

The frustrating thing as a fan is that, dude you have a nice contract and get paid well to fight nobodies, the one time we ask you to earn your salary and put on a fight we actually want to watch, you want triple. gently caress off

Yes, the time he's going to have a fight that will likely make his bosses more money, he also wants to make more money. Is this tricky for you?

I'm also unclear on how everyone has concluded that a fight with TJ is going to be some huge money maker. TJ isn't a needle mover either.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Memento posted:

MMA fans see Dana buying and bulldozing all the houses next to him so he can make his own private water park and go "Wow that's loving awesome!" instead of "How about sorting out people who are on 10/10 or who had their fight cancelled by your biggest star and now have a very sick newborn who need help" because people are traaaaaaaaash.

Well in this specific case I'm not sure the "Mighty Mouse is underpaid!" narrative works as well as it used to because he does get a six figure payout and the amount he's been making has been going up with every fight. That's an entirely different thing than undercard guys being unable to make ends meet or provide for their families with their salary from fighting.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Snowman_McK posted:

No, his family was stinking rich. He personally became worth 30 million as a result of his career. He's probably been pretty smart with his money, but he's been extremely well paid for his work.

Yes, the time he's going to have a fight that will likely make his bosses more money, he also wants to make more money. Is this tricky for you?

I'm also unclear on how everyone has concluded that a fight with TJ is going to be some huge money maker. TJ isn't a needle mover either.

it's the biggest fight they could make involving DJ right now, and kind of the rule of MMA match making is to make the biggest fight possible happen now, not later.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Late but Guida has always been one of my favorite fighters. I don’t care why. He puts me in a good mood.

i like him. he works hard

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, Mighty Mouse earns more today than a different fighter who hasn’t been relevant in a decade did when he was at his peak fifteen years ago and when the UFC was two steps above backyard wrestling, and top prospects were cashiering at the Piggly Wiggly to make ends meet. Also, back then, fighters could wear condom ads and industrial bolt manufacturer’s names on their shorts to effetively quadruple their earning potential, but none of those things count, because I’m going to say “six figures” a couple of times.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

Lol sure

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
A guy who was paid over a quarter million dollars to fight the 17 ranked guy in his dead division nobody watches is only the little guy in a physical sense.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You hate the poor

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I have a rose emoji by my twitter name so you’d better believe I’m going to side with the one rich guy who’s trying to hardball the more rich guy. Also, comic book movies are fairly freaking problematic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

it's the biggest fight they could make involving DJ right now, and kind of the rule of MMA match making is to make the biggest fight possible happen now, not later.

It's also the rule that if you want the guy to take the bigger, riskier, more profitable fight, you pay him more.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kilometers Davis posted:

Late but Guida has always been one of my favorite fighters. I don’t care why. He puts me in a good mood.

I got to meet him a few years ago at the UFC Fan Expo with my buddy who has trained with him for a while and he was a pretty chill cool guy.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

It's also the rule that if you want the guy to take the bigger, riskier, more profitable fight, you pay him more.

No it isn’t or they’d be renegotiating every single fight and it would go the other way as well lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It might mouse wants to get paid more maybe he should do something to draw attention to himself like, I dunno, throw a shopping cart through the windscreen of a small passenger airliner.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

No it isn’t or they’d be renegotiating every single fight and it would go the other way as well lol

Then why would any fighter ever take a risky fight that could make the company more money? Generosity to their employers? The abstract concept of the challenge? Do you think people get excited about fighting Brock or Conor because they're excited about how well the UFC is going to do?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Snowman_McK posted:

From like a year ago, which is how long DJ has been dragging his feet:

quote:

Besides, White said, he’s surprised Johnson – a fighter embraced by hardcore fans but yet to become a PPV draw – would turn down the opportunity to get a piece of PPV revenue for the first time in his dominant career.

“This is the first fight ever in D.J.’s history that he actually gets pay-per-view,” White said. “He gets pay-per-view on this one, and this is the first real fight that people will care about and want to see on pay-per-view, and he is refusing to fight T.J. Dillashaw.”

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I hope the russia card is like the brazilian cards or european cards where it is garbage nobody locals getting smashed by b league foreigners

Also i dont think mighty mouse is what i would call rich. But for sure he should fight tj/cody/dom instead of whoever, and if dana has to pay him more to make it happen then he should

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

david carmichael posted:

I hope the russia card is like the brazilian cards or european cards where it is garbage nobody locals getting smashed by b league foreigners

Also i dont think mighty mouse is what i would call rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeOUty4SWvI

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

From like a year ago, which is how long DJ has been dragging his feet:

Pretend I can find that long quote of Mighty Mouse explaining his side.

Also, pretend you only just realised the idea of taking Dana White at face value is absurd.

The whole saga is dumb as poo poo. At the time, Bisping was refusing to fight anyone, Woodley would not stop complaining, Conor wasn't even in the sport, Cyborg thought she wasn't being supported in a division they made for her, but somehow it's MM who gets thrown under the bus for ducking someone who's not even in his weight class.

david carmichael posted:

I remember UFC 134 was planned out to give the Brazilian fans lots of wins. And Luis Cane was the only Brazilian to lose to a foreigner on the whole card, and he did it in the most spectacularly embarrassing way, trying to climb the fence as he got knocked out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

david carmichael posted:

Also i dont think mighty mouse is what i would call rich. But for sure he should fight tj/cody/dom instead of whoever, and if dana has to pay him more to make it happen then he should

ya

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I don't know how mighty mouse is doing money wise exactly but my understanding from the film trailer is the conversion rate when you go through downsizing is fairly generous.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

MM gets X to fight contenders to his belt and when the contender is really lovely, they don’t pay less, they honor the contract. When MM finally has a challenge again he wants to hardball for a gigantic raise. If they were asking him to go up to BW, I’d say he deserves the 2 mil he wants, but he shouldn’t demand Conor’s opponent money to fight anyone with a name in his own weight class.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, pretend you only just realised the idea of taking Dana White at face value is absurd.

The whole saga is dumb as poo poo. At the time, Bisping was refusing to fight anyone, Woodley would not stop complaining, Conor wasn't even in the sport, Cyborg thought she wasn't being supported in a division they made for her, but somehow it's MM who gets thrown under the bus for ducking someone who's not even in his weight class.

I agree that the other champions are even worse lol

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I'll help you out. He doesn't deny the points part https://mmajunkie.com/2017/06/champ-company-man-demetrious-johnson-ufc-despicable-treatment

He is more worried that he won't make that much off of them, admittedly because he doesn't sell well. Also he was really concerned with breaking the record. He made a bunch of silly requests that we talked about when they came up, like getting TJ's full purse if he didn't make weight or something. Also I'm pretty sure we laughed at this part

quote:

UFC has failed to market and promote me appropriately. Prior to my last fight where I tied the record for the most consecutive successful title defenses, we waited to repost UFC’s social media posts about me from their Facebook page. There weren’t any posts until a few days into fight week, then, there were a total of 2 posts. In comparison to others who they promote across their social media platforms, they failed to do their job in promoting me and that monumental event.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Then why would any fighter ever take a risky fight that could make the company more money? Generosity to their employers? The abstract concept of the challenge? Do you think people get excited about fighting Brock or Conor because they're excited about how well the UFC is going to do?

Do you have Down syndrome ?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

i dont totally disagree with his sentiment that dana is crazy and fighters should make more money, but also you have to factor in that fighters are really stupid and only really know about fighting and i thought most people on this forum had that figured out by now

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

MM gets X to fight contenders to his belt and when the contender is really lovely, they don’t pay less, they honor the contract. When MM finally has a challenge again he wants to hardball for a gigantic raise. If they were asking him to go up to BW, I’d say he deserves the 2 mil he wants, but he shouldn’t demand Conor’s opponent money to fight anyone with a name in his own weight class.

Yeah. They don't pay less than the contract because that's a bad thing to do. Paying more is a good thing to do.

Again, you're arguing in favour of management over labour.

TJ isn't in his weight class and has never been in his weight class. He wrestled at 133 pounds 10 years ago.

He absolutely should demand more money to fight someone who's far more dangerous than anyone he's faced and, more importantly, would be a far easier fight to promote than any of his other fights that they refused to promote.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

like getting TJ's full purse if he didn't make weight or something.

I'm pretty sure that was something that TJ actually offered to do himself.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Also I'm pretty sure we laughed at this part

I don't know why you would. They don't promote him. That's something that's observably true. In fact, they don't promote him and publicly poo poo on his drawing ability, something that they can personally effect, in a 'we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas' type scenario.

Also, I only just realised the absurdity of White going 'he doesn't sell PPVs, he's really bad at it. Seriously, no one buys his PPVs. Also, we offered him PPV points and this didn't immediately break the negotiating deadlock, clearly it is him who is being insane.

Skip My Posts posted:

Do you have Down syndrome ?

No. Now answer my question.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 17, 2018

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What question lol. Everything you say is retarded and contradicts itself

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

What question lol. Everything you say is retarded and contradicts itself

Turn your monitor on.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
can you tell us more about your warhammer fan fiction

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

can you tell us more about your warhammer fan fiction

I wish. I got the title from, I think, D and D, in the Trump thread. But I don't know what it refers to. As far as I'm aware, I've not written any.

EDIT: I'm happy to drop the Mighty Mouse thing since we've done all this before and no one's moved.

What's the funniest UFC/MMA fight?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 17, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowman_McK posted:

Fedor/Hendo

Maybe Bisping/Rockhold II

edit: both of these are from the point of view of not just the fight but the fallout and fan reaction. You could grit every single road in the Pacific Northwest all winter with the salt from Fedor fans after Hendo dropped him on his head.

Also

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 17, 2018

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

Nate Quarry doing the running man at Kalib Starnes is the funniest UFC fight

The funniest fight ever is Kimbo and Dada falling over each other and having heart attacks despite not doing anything

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
ufc is maybe palelei vs krylov?

i really like this non-ufc fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDnxKRtb0s

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Snowman_McK posted:

the actual funniest fight is the mixed kickboxing / mma fight between Aoki and that cosplaying Japanese kickboxer

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

I wish. I got the title from, I think, D and D, in the Trump thread. But I don't know what it refers to. As far as I'm aware, I've not written any.

lol youre an embarrassment

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Keith Hackney punishing Joe Son's balls is pretty funny. The headlock is maybe not the greatest grappling move. Plus if I recall correctly Joe Son carries a cross to the ring.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Knife collection? Could it be....?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

ufc is maybe palelei vs krylov?

i really like this non-ufc fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDnxKRtb0s

This is a loving pro-click. I'd never seen any SFL before, but remembered their terrible theme song. That absolutely lived up to the theme song.

...and the pitch! posted:

Keith Hackney punishing Joe Son's balls is pretty funny. The headlock is maybe not the greatest grappling move. Plus if I recall correctly Joe Son carries a cross to the ring.

Kimo used to do it too, and Joe Son was his team mate in the early days.

Memento posted:

edit: both of these are from the point of view of not just the fight but the fallout and fan reaction. You could grit every single road in the Pacific Northwest all winter with the salt from Fedor fans after Hendo dropped him on his head.

The idea that it was stopped early set in really quickly, not helped by the fact that the camera cut back to Fedor after he'd more or less recovered, while someone's camera phone caught him struggling to his feet like a baby giraffe.

My submission is Overeem Browne. It's just such a perfect Overeem fight. He demonstrates how much better he is in the opening seconds while Browne just kind of spazzes out. Then he gasses, Browne keeps spazzing, throwing the Lisa Simpson kick, and finally gets it. Overeem just sits down with the acceptance of defeat we've come to expect from him, Browne runs in to finish him, but is so tall and unco that his head takes a moment to catch up with his legs. It's just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

chaleski posted:

The funniest fight ever is Kimbo and Dada falling over each other and having heart attacks despite not doing anything

It's this.

• Locked thread