Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There seems to have been a total miss on the editors side to show that Sea Bass was 100% with Dom/Wendall. The last couple weeks, it's just kind of came around that those 3 boys are 100% locked tight.

Yeah, the last few weeks there's just been a lot of little clues that Dom and Wendell have roped Sebastian in big. Kellyn was worried about that way back when Michael was still in the game and that they were trying to do it with him too. But like stuff like that "I like when they call me pirate" thing seem like such massive low key gameplay stuff that's either really hard to show or the editors missed the boat on.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Kim did not coast. Did you see the stable of buffoons she had to manage? It wasn't like Rob; they didn't quite go gracefully to slaughter. Sabrina got a few votes, didn't she?

Fair. I wasn't trying to shade her game. You play the cards you're dealt. But I don't think she had the common threat of coup that Dom and Wendell have managed to squash each week. But its been awhile since I watched the season.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I just remembered Donathan's paranoid theory that they were going to idol Kellyn. Haha

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, really seems like something just completely broke in Donathans head there tonight...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely agree that like he was feeling trapped with Dom, Wendell, and Laurel and it kind of broke him. And that was probably a buildup over the last few weeks where we saw him kind of act a little like this during last week's tribal. And then Dom and Wendell clearly played him with that bag thing and he took the bait.

But I contend Donathan's always kind of been a little flighty and he just finally broke because he finally really felt his back against the wall. He panicked a little and was all over the place the last time he was in danger too, but he had an idol then.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Donathan has been possessed by the entire world's frustration at how this season is playing out, and I for one can't blame him. I think he finally realized that Laurel is never, ever going to move against her benevolent overlords and that it's impossible for him to win at this point. If you're gonna lose anyway, you might as well lose dramatically and with gusto.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But again, while Laurel's hesitation is definitely past the point of defense its actually secondary to whether Kellyn, Sebastian, and Angela were willing to vote Dom/Wendell out. In fact, if the three of them were on board Donathan could have done it without Laurel.

Everyone hosed up.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There is zero chance that Angela is doing anything but voting the way her Naviti commanding officers tell her to, as she has the entire game. Laurel was the only hope of pulling anything off and she's happy with bronze, so gently caress everything basically.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Jeff did his best to wake this cast up by saying Domenick was being cryptic. "I was giving him something from my bag. Not an idol, just a cloth or a necklace." Oh good, you're not sure what you gave him but it's not an idol. Phew.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

are all these idiots playing for third place or

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Laurel said she thought they'd split votes and she'd pick up the Malolo ones. She literally said that. In this episode.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

curiousCat posted:

Laurel said she thought they'd split votes and she'd pick up the Malolo ones. She literally said that. In this episode.

And then she turned to the camera and winked and said "I said that so they wouldn't think I'll betray them,"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"I think that's what they're banking on, but I'm here to cut their throats." She literally said that. In this episode.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
She can be telling the truth both times?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Can’t discount Angela either. She fell right in line with Wendel/Dom’s plan.

Have we ever had a really strong twosome that didn’t obviously have a greater and lesser? I couldn’t tell you who wins between them.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 17, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

"I think that's what they're banking on, but I'm here to cut their throats." She literally said that. In this episode.

Laurel is bad. Moving on.

e: not only bad, she's weak.

Nobody knows whether or not she would have moved on Wendell save for the dumb challenge shenanigans, but the fact that that impacted her emotionally is just bad. I've disliked her since her pregame stuff, but honestly, pregame Laurel would be kicking the poo poo out out the Laurel who is letting this happen.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 17, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Haha, the recap going 'Kellyn with no allies' when Angela was still in the game. They're really burying Angela, aren't they.

Laurel got 'saved' by Donathan blowing up, since she's guaranteed a seat at FTC now; I feel like Dom or Wendell, should they win immunity, would definitely take her and leave the other to fight for fire.

That said, she's definitely playing for runner-up now. Her only shot is if they get one of Dom/Wendell out before F4 and the other loses fire (since they've both got idols). Even then I think she loses to Donathan (who at least tried to break up the pair), so her only realistic chance is a Laurel/Angela/Sebastian FTC.

Zesty posted:

Can’t discount Angela either. She fell right in line with Wendel/Dom’s plan.

Have we ever had a really strong twosome that didn’t obviously have a greater and lesser? I couldn’t tell you who wins between them.

J.T./Stephen were pretty even leading up to the finale and it was really up to the jury. J.T. had a much better social game in hindsight, but it would have been easy to argue that Stephen would have won if the jury rewarded strategy more.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
How do you see Donathan pulling out a win? Because I don't. If anything, Laurel needs him sitting next to her with Angela.

Which won't happen.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

How do you see Donathan pulling out a win? Because I don't. If anything, Laurel needs him sitting next to her with Angela.

Which won't happen.

Donathan would likely win some votes from the jury for trying to get out Dom/Wendell. Jenna and Michael might be harsh on him, but Laurel was the one who sunk the Malolo's chances of rebounding.

Laurel loses to Donathan if both Dom and Wendell are out; Sebastian and Angela are pretty much dead, so if Laurel finally pulls the plug on them, she needs Donathan gone as well.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Zesty posted:

Malcolm and Denise were pretty even.

Anyway, its a tough call, but I'd give the slight edge to Dom just in terms of outward confidence, which might be enough to tip the scales in his favor.

In general I don't think watching a steamrolling like this one makes for peak Survivor entertainment, but on the other hand Wendell and Dom both seem like stand-up dudes and its kind of cool to watch strong players work with rather than against one another so idk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vernacular posted:

Malcolm and Denise were pretty even.

I feel like going into the finale, many people would have picked Malcolm to win - he just had that 'golden boy' edit. It was just that apparently the jury was less dazzled than we thought.

Also, I think Dom would win, based on who I think they'd get:

Dom: Chris, Libby, Desiree, Chelsea, (Donathan), (Angela)
Wendell: Jenna, Michael, Kellyn, (Sebastian), (Laurel)

It's pretty even, but I think that as likable as Wendell is, Dom's had more time to make friends/earn respect.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Dom definitely has that "everyman" vibe to him which will likely play in his favor. The edit has really shown him to be one of the most socially savvy players we've had in awhile.

Wendell is obviously no slouch, but if I had to nitpick, I'd say that he's slightly condescending and just a little rougher around in the edges in his social interactions than Dom. One thing he does have going for him though is that he has gotten and survived more votes than Dom, which could be telling of his perceived threat level in the game, and be spun in service of an "I defeated more adversity than Dom" narrative.

For what its worth, I thought he handled the immunity challenge snafu pretty admirably. It should be pretty self-evident that you need to actually call Jeff over to complete your puzzle, so Laurel definitely had it, but he definitely could have handled it less gracefully.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

That said, she's definitely playing for runner-up now.
She could scam 2nd place and at this point that's probably better than trying to somehow get Angela and Sea Bass in the FTC.
Wendell is probably getting crushed in the vote but I'm hoping he knifes Dom. Donathan winning and not having such an obvious returnee/fish out of water/narrator edit would be fun.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like going into the finale, many people would have picked Malcolm to win - he just had that 'golden boy' edit. It was just that apparently the jury was less dazzled than we thought.
I thought Lisa was going to win. They gave her a strong late game edit and I took that bait.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At this point, the only way to redeem this season would be if Donathan went on an immunity run and ended up in the finals with Dom and Wendell, whereupon he pulls a Sandra and says "look, I tried to get rid of these guys but none of y'all dumbasses would help me" and beats them 4-3-2 because they actually do split votes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly? I don't mind the season. Yeah, it's a little lame watching Dom/Wendell be this seemingly unstoppable force while Laurel destroys everybody else's chances of winning, but nobody's hateable (at most, cringey), and a Dom/Wendell in the FTC would actually make the vote reveal exciting to watch. It's been a while since I've seen that happen.

When Ben won firemaking, it was a foregone conclusion.
When Cirie got advantaged out, there was nobody left I liked that I thought had a chance to win.
When David got voted out, I got bored since the person I liked (Ken) had no chance and I didn't like Adam.

That hasn't happened for me since Koah Rong where I'd gone into the finale being satisfied with multiple likely outcomes (Cydney/Aubry/Michele) winning. Sure they could screw it up along the way and have one of Dom/Wendell gone before FTC (at which point I'd just skip to the results since it'd be boring otherwise), but right now, even though my favourite (Michael) didn't make it to FTC, I'd be happy enough with either Dom or Wendell (or even a longshot of Donathan) winning.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I think they should've voted out Donathan because he is obviously going to cause drama. If anyone is a threat to Dom and Wendell it's him.

There's still 2 more tribals to get rid of one of them and then the final 4 you just take out the other one assuming they don't win immunity. Laurel can still pull it off but honestly I'd rather see a Dom/Wendell final.

Also it looked like Angela turned to Wendell on the revote as if to ask who to vote for and he just shrugged which was pretty funny.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CODChimera posted:

I think they should've voted out Donathan because he is obviously going to cause drama. If anyone is a threat to Dom and Wendell it's him.

There's still 2 more tribals to get rid of one of them and then the final 4 you just take out the other one assuming they don't win immunity. Laurel can still pull it off but honestly I'd rather see a Dom/Wendell final.

Also it looked like Angela turned to Wendell on the revote as if to ask who to vote for and he just shrugged which was pretty funny.

Final 4 is firemaking, so assuming no immunity, they have to guess around the idols the next two tribals.

Best they can do next tribal is to get Laurel on board and split the votes 2-2 between them. Unless they both play their idols, one of them is gone.

Alternatively, dump three votes on Laurel, hope the boys misplay their idols, and they have a 3-2 advantage going into F5.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

One drawback is that it's hard to really have a rooting interest between Dom and Wendell, because they've been side by side the whole game and neither is giving us brilliant confessionals or anything. They'd both be good winners, I just don't have a strong preference between them. And while they would be good winners, I'd really like to see them get challenged at least. I know they're not just laying back doing nothing, but they allied Donathan and Laurel almost right after the swap, and they've just been with Naviti and those two ever since with no changes. And they've had idols the whole time to boot.

Another weakness here is the editing though. Sebastian and Angela are complete nobodies entering the finale, when you'd think they could have at least been interesting from a character standpoint. That combined with the invisibility of Chelsea and Desiree have made this feel like a foregone conclusion and kind of a slog since Chris went home.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 17, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zesty posted:

Double down!
Heard last night's KIA yet? :lol:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, I think Dom would win, based on who I think they'd get:

Dom: Chris, Libby, Desiree, Chelsea, (Donathan), (Angela)
Wendell: Jenna, Michael, Kellyn, (Sebastian), (Laurel)

It's pretty even, but I think that as likable as Wendell is, Dom's had more time to make friends/earn respect.

There's no way Chris votes for Dom. They couldn't even agree on an easy target after the merge. And Chris is a dummy, but he didn't fall for Dom's idol nonsense.

It would actually be hilarious if Chris is why Dom loses the game.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The double cursed vote steal! :rolleyes:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's no way Chris votes for Dom. They couldn't even agree on an easy target after the merge. And Chris is a dummy, but he didn't fall for Dom's idol nonsense.

Well, there is still the evict a player from the Jury advantage...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well, there is still the evict a player from the Jury advantage...

that was used successfully, it wasn't cursed

the cursed meat that Joe ate, however....

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dugong posted:

The double cursed vote steal! :rolleyes:
I wish they would have used Fishbach's or Dan Foley's.

I think between Wendell and Domenick, Dom would win, because I just feel like he's more been the spokesperson of the duo, but I don't know how much people could potentially value Wendell's social game and camp contributions.

I feel like the bad f4 twist makes players play less, but it also means if Dom or Wendell want to be sure of eliminating the other, they need to do it at 5, and then they can't be voted out at 4 for being the biggest threat remaining. So something exciting could happen at 5 and firemaking at 4. Even 6 has the one in a million chance Seb wakes up and uses his advantage to 4-3 Laurel, Dom, and Wendell.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If nothing else, Wendell has been attracting more TC votes than Dom. I think that speaks to his perceived threat level. Chris notwithstanding, I still give Wendell the edge if both of them make it to the end. That said, of course, we've seen Dom considering when to take out Wendell but not vice versa (which doesn't mean he's not thinking about it, but it's a storytelling thing).

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Heard last night's KIA yet? :lol:
I hope Rob was doing comedy and not honestly struggling to defend a friend.

Dom is definitely the spokesman of the alliance. He could be the narrator and end up booted early but short of a meltdown I can't see him losing to Wendell at FTC.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The thing is that Dom has mismanaged social situations along the way. Sure, he's coming across as a type-A leader type, but Wendell is incredibly likeable and savvy. Recall that Yul beat Ozzy by one vote. Yul could run circles around Dom, and Wendell is much better than Ozzy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

He also had no hard feelings after being voted out. Honestly I think Chris is the kind who'd vote for Dom out of respect for their rivalry. Not to mention he's had about three weeks to sit on the jury and not go island crazy.

The thing is that Dom has mismanaged social situations along the way. Sure, he's coming across as a type-A leader type, but Wendell is incredibly likeable and savvy. Recall that Yul beat Ozzy by one vote. Yul could run circles around Dom, and Wendell is much better than Ozzy.

Dom's got some things that Ozzy doesn't have though. He's a family man, which would appeal to people like Kellyn and Angela. He's also generally better spoken than Ozzy.

Wendell is likable but I think that to some people he could be seen as arrogant (he got pretty dismissive of Donathan this episode, and I think it came off worse than Dom).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
We are clearly getting a weird edit because I don’t see how Kellyn could be perceived as a threat.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She was one of the more capable players out there, considering the dummies in this cast. She just also happened to be a whiny babby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's possible she's not a whiny baby on the island and only that way in the confessionals...

• Locked thread