Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM6mGy6TAC4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You can skip the recaps, you probably won’t notice because it says it on my text on white intro credits.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Also young Lucille and George stunk. I hope they've axed that.

They didn't.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tony hale is a delight

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Finished the remix, and...I liked the original cut a lot more. The remix was more even keeled across each episode. But there were a few payoffs in the original cut that made me laugh harder than anything from the Fox run, and they just didn’t work as well in this format.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm through four episodes, having not seen the original cut since the first run (which I liked, just not as much as the original show). It's still enjoyable, but I don't think putting it in this format really did it any favors, quality-wise. I do want to keep going, though.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Having finished the remix I also prefer the original cut. While the original cut had some of the lowest lows of the show of all time, it also had some of the highest highs and the greatest long term joke payoffs and that gets completely watered down and sometimes just straight ruined in this cut. It's the safer version, but the less interesting one. I also really liked the focus on individual characters and how they were growing as people separate from the family and that whole sense isn't there with the recut.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tristesse posted:

Having finished the remix I also prefer the original cut. While the original cut had some of the lowest lows of the show of all time, it also had some of the highest highs and the greatest long term joke payoffs and that gets completely watered down and sometimes just straight ruined in this cut. It's the safer version, but the less interesting one. I also really liked the focus on individual characters and how they were growing as people separate from the family and that whole sense isn't there with the recut.

Agreed completely. I think the seasons should be ranked 2, 1, 4, 3, but none of them are at all bad. All of them are some of the best TV ever produced.

The edit's biggest benefits come from watering down the slow George Sr. plot, introducing the new running Lady Allure joke (I want the full audio of Lady Allure), adding the explicit definition of "shoveling coal", and the dueling "Sound of Silence" bit.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Nichael posted:

Agreed completely. I think the seasons should be ranked 2, 1, 4, 3, but none of them are at all bad. All of them are some of the best TV ever produced.

Really? You put season 3 last? Mine would be 2, 3, 4, and 1

I was in tears when I first watched this part from season 3.

https://youtu.be/hk6EAfo2eyQ

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

The one that always sticks out for me is Tony Wonder in the background at GOB's wedding.

I finished the remix, which is also the first time I've seen S4 entirely in years. It's funny, maybe a tiny bit is the new narration, but the series seems a lot more 2018 than 2013 - the central plot about a right-wing politician running on a platform to build a wall with Mexico, Lindsey becoming a Hilary lookalike at the end, Jeffrey Tambor playing a guy who essentially transitions at the end (even if... whoops), the other big central plot about a Facebook-analog's privacy concerns, even noticing all the actors who went on to be in Veep stuck out to me... S4 may have been mixed, but it was prescient, I'll give it that.

I watched it for the first time recently and I had to keep reminding myself it wasnt actually referencing reality

like at first the wall jokes seemed in super poor taste to me until I remembered this was a show from loving 2013

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't seen 3 in years but I always thought it was pretty poor compared to the first two seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
3 is still great, but it suffers majorly from them getting their order cut by nine freaking episodes after they had already mapped out the whole Rita arc. The second half of the season is imo as good as ever.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Season 3 didn't hold up as well on the... third or fourth? rewatch. It got a little too goofy at times.

My opinion is somewhat shifting on the season 4 recut, although I'd need to rewatch the original cut again to really figure out a concrete opinion of it. From what I remember, the original cut started agonizingly slow and finally picked up about halfway through. The recut starts with much more momentum, but I'm in the middle of it right now and it feels like the momentum has never picked up, so it's faltering a little. And there are definitely too many recaps and too much narration. I'm not sure why they went for 22 episodes. They're needing to pad it too much.

But it's still hard to say which one is better. I don't think the individual character episodes worked, even when you started to see the crossovers happening in the background. I like subtle comedy, but I'm still not a fan of watching 6 episodes of a comedy where nothing funny happens just to finally get to a punchline in episode 7. (I know I'm exaggerating here and probably forgetting some stuff.)

The "perfect" version of season 4 is somewhere directly in the middle of these two cuts. Although even then, it would probably still be the worst or second-worst season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't believe there's people that actually think season 3 is worse than season 4.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, they left in the "Buster... No, Gob" *Suddenly ostrich* "It was Lindsay" gag. Seems a bit pointless.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't believe there's people that actually think season 3 is worse than season 4.

:same:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So I made a quick little video about how the remix of season four is a cool but really weird exercise in editing that I think ultimately fails to achieve the goals it set out to achieve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HX84BMe_qI

Essentially, mangling the season into something it wasn't originally designed to be simply doesn't work. They don't have the footage they need to form a traditional narrative so you end up with episodes with an overabundance of narration trying to connect vaguely related scenes and episodes that are downright plotless, serving only to link other episodes to one another.

I can understand the desire on the creatives' part to attempt this re-edit, however I'd much rather have a complete if imperfect season four than a frankensteinian one cobbled together years later, the narrative equivalent of forcing a square block into a round hole.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 22, 2018

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I rescind my opinion on the remix. I switched back to the original and binged it in one day. It's been long enough that the difference in 4 from 1/2/3 doesn't affect me, and it was a smooth watch aside from the Swappigans scenes.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think I like the remix more than the original season 4, but it's definitely not perfect and I can see where people are coming from when they say they like the original more.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'll hate-watch this new season but without the least bit of enthusiasm.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
AC Club review of the new season.
https://tv.avclub.com/arrested-development-feels-like-its-old-self-again-1826205971

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Watching the Season 4 remix, I spotted something familiar. It's hard to be self-effacing when you're a perfect specimen of rugged manlessness.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm halfway through the season 4 remix and... the edit is not working, at all. It's still not properly chronological because it has to keep doubling back and recapping. The narration has to work so hard to be the connective tissue between scenes that are utterly disconnected. If the purpose was to express the overarching story more clearly, it's a failure, and the individual episodes are now much less focused as well.

A lot of the jokes are falling much flatter than I remember, and it makes me wonder if it's the new edit that's doing a worse job selling them or if I had just forgotten how bad they were.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The extra "Sounds of Silence" gags are great, but them losing GOB's reaction to Tony Wonder's voicemail at the end of the season is such a big mistake. That was, by far, my favorite moment of GOB's the entire season.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Since the original season 4 came out and now being halfway through the remix I've had 2 kids. I'm not too ashamed to admit that I'm liking the remix more cause it's just easier then constantly working for all those jokes that might span several episodes for the payoff.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Was the Tobias and Gob "offset double Sound of Silence"-gag added in the remix? That was amazing.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

Since the original season 4 came out and now being halfway through the remix I've had 2 kids. I'm not too ashamed to admit that I'm liking the remix more cause it's just easier then constantly working for all those jokes that might span several episodes for the payoff.

I agree. The remix was tighter, but I have a feeling it wouldn't have worked as well for me had I not seen the original Season 4.

Also, rewatching season 4 made me realize was an empty, useless character Rebel Alley is. When you have such fun "love interest" characters like Maggie and Rita (and Kitty, sort of) it just seems like a waste. Although the Depardieu backstory made me laugh, but that isn't even really about her character.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think I like the remix more than the original season 4, but it's definitely not perfect and I can see where people are coming from when they say they like the original more.
I'm sorry. I'm gonna' need you to take a hard-line stance and say anybody who doesn't take the same one is a loving idiot because the whiplash of somebody being nuanced on the internet is just too much.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I thought it was funny that Howard was cool with them clowning on his conception-middle naming scheme and his wife's last name. And then LEM Depardieu. Lol how did he even fit in that spaceship

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Only half of the episodes come out next week?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yeah, Netflix is starting to split their seasons for some reason. Kimmy Schmidt is going to be that way too.

(Maybe they're tired of people signing up to binge watch one thing, then cancelling. This way the people will have to sign up twice.)

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

The split is more for Emmy consideration.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ingmar terdman posted:

I thought it was funny that Howard was cool with them clowning on his conception-middle naming scheme and his wife's last name. And then LEM Depardieu. Lol how did he even fit in that spaceship

What?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ingmar terdman posted:

Ohhhh, I get it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the remix makes it more easily digestible but that's about the only positive. They don't feel like episodes at all, it feels like random vignette scenes are being thrown at you as the narration desperately tries to over-compensate and tie them together. That YouTube video sums it up quite well. I was never a huge fan of the original cut but I'm surprised they've made this the default way of viewing season 4.

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I gotta ask, did you watch season 3 while it was airing? Season 3 is great, but them having to rush to fit in as much of the plot as possible with only half the episodes was very apparent. Especially coming off season 2, it was bitter-sweet. I remember being happy the show wasn't canceled outright, but feeling cheated that what we got wasn't the original vision.

I guess the opposite could be true of season 4. It was unbelievable that we were getting more of this amazing show after so long, that I may have had more patience with the slow burn. Plus the payoff was so worth it. Having haven't seen it since one rewatch about four years ago, watching the remix is nice, but just like season 3 feels a bit forced and inorganic. I think season 4 was meant to binge and then rewatch, because you are seeing jokes you weren't aware of at that point.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I just recently rewatched the whole series for the first time in about five years, and I noticed that it seems like they squeezed an extra episode worth of plot into the recap at the beginning of the second episode of season 3. I still like season 3 just as much as 1 and 2, but there are definitely times where you can tell they were expecting a longer season.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

The Nastier Nate posted:

netflix business model is based on binge watching, sucks because that means people who have finished uni and work 40 hours are already aging out of their market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

I just recently rewatched the whole series for the first time in about five years, and I noticed that it seems like they squeezed an extra episode worth of plot into the recap at the beginning of the second episode of season 3. I still like season 3 just as much as 1 and 2, but there are definitely times where you can tell they were expecting a longer season.

That was them making up for the lost four episodes of season two after their order was cut.

• Locked thread