Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Xae posted:

That really is the worst part.

The cosmology and afterlife is known at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Smith Comma John posted:

Is there a one-hander with a good enough on-crit effect to make one-handed style worthwhile?

Yeah, there's quite a bit of stuff to make one-handed style worthwhile.

You can buy some gloves that give a 50% chance to knock down on crit in Queen's Birth. I can't remember where I go the rest, but there's another pair of gloves that do some AoE lightning damage on crit. There's a saber that does random afflictions on crit and another one that heals you for 10 on each crit. There's also a war hammer that does random mind affliction on crits 50% of the time.

My character was a Devoted/Paladin single wielding Modwyr and led overall damage in my PotD run. I used the knockdown gloves and it was some nice extra control. They also proc on things like charge, so I'd just jump spell casters and they'd never get anything off.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Welp, I just cheated away my Shady 2 rep to see if I could get Maia to stick around if I went with the Valians. Any guesses what happened? She still left, because I had a Diplomatic rep, which means I ‘didnt Know how to get things done.’ So yeah, even if they fix reps building up too fast you’ll still need to cheat or at least meta game like a mofo in order to get Maia (and presumably Pallegina, once she gets fixed) to go along with you on their not-preferred ending. Meanwhile, Serafen is down for whatever as long as it doesn’t involve slavery, so I think we know who the best faction companion is. Edit: Forgot about Tekehu, I didn’t use him but he seemed pretty chill, when I killed the Queen his breakup letter was more ‘I can’t be a part of this, but good luck’ than ‘FUUUUCCCKKK YOOOUUU’, so that already makes him better then Maia and Pally.
i've tried to get maia to betray rautai as well but have had little luck so far. it helps that i've gradually come to find maia absolutely repellent. she spends most of her time with you either bragging about taking notes of your other faction convos and/or throwing down cynical real politik. she has misgivings about being a mindless political tool but lacks the courage of her convictions.

on the bright side: when maia rejects the huana arc the queen calls her a squalid and hateful little creature or something. and as far as i'm concerned this is another instance of the queen's good judgment. :colbert:

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 17, 2018

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Wait, I think the PotD +15 defense is being applied to the player, too. I was just checking my stats out for that last post and noticed when I hovered over my defenses that it included "+15 Path of the Damned" on all four. Is this a known bug?

Edit: On further inspection, that seems to only happen when you are boarded on your ship. It doesn't appear to happen on land or in battle, so it shouldn't be affecting gameplay.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 17, 2018

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the more i read about the factions in this game, the more i am convinced my decision to become the pirate king was the only moral choice

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

This, and put Tekehu in your party with you in order to get max approval at the same time. A friend mentioned he did it with Xoti, but I couldn't get any rep changes with her to show up.

This is the way to do it and it's literally 10 minutes outside of tutorial island.

Mission accomplished. It took 55 minutes from creating a new character to getting both achievements.

Tekehu tried to gently caress me like, when we first met, and another time after we first got to that shrine. Dude I've known you for 5 minutes and all we did was walk to 2 places.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pmchem posted:

Mission accomplished. It took 55 minutes from creating a new character to getting both achievements.

Tekehu tried to gently caress me like, when we first met, and another time after we first got to that shrine. Dude I've known you for 5 minutes and all we did was walk to 2 places.

Don't kinkshame

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Basic Chunnel posted:

How do you cheat your disposition ranks down? My dude is NOT benevolent

I had a conversation where I was praised for being shady, then immediately admonished for being too honest...

pmchem posted:

Tekehu and Maia both tried to proposition and dump their entire life story on me a few minutes after they got recruited.

The next big patch seriously needs to revamp the reputation thresholds and whatever is wrong with companion conversation timers.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, I did it, I beat the game.
And I can't lie, in the end it felt like a mercy killing more than anything else.

The game started really strong, opened up soon, writing was mostly very good and, narration sequences aside, always to the point. I liked the companions, really liked the side quests and most faction quests, and will forever love Modwyr.
But as the game went on the combat just got very stale due to the total lack of balance and, in most fights, challenge. Also, I still think that every class that isn't a formerly Vancian caster needs more active ability picks, because most builds are pretty limited in what they can actually do. There were also a lot of smaller annoyances that, in combination, ended up dragging the game down. Everything involving the ship is boring and shallow. Every decent weapon you find is a sword or a saber. And the bugs don't help either, of course.

So ultimately I decided to finish the game quickly just to get it done, with half of the map unexplored and Maia not even recruited. (The game also forgot that I had recruited Pallegina at some point but that's probably for the best; there's no way she would have gotten a good ending.)
So, after a couple of in-game weeks of just loving around, I got back to the main quest. And that ended up being very disappointing.
I realize that I'm a Watcher, so I guess it's to be expected that I'm doing a lot of passive observing, but it would have been nice to have an active role in the story. Or a purpose.
Close to the end Berath or some other god told me that I'm the only one Eothas would listen to. I don't know why he would, but of course he did. Then Eothas told me that many leaders would come to me asking for guidance in the future. They have no reason to. The game told me that, after everything was done, the enormity of what I had accomplished sunk in. I didn't do poo poo. I suggested something to Eothas and then I watched his story end after watching it unfold throughout the game.

I expect a lot of the problems I have with the game to just go away over time considering all the attention PoE1 got after release. And I'm looking forward to a second playthrough, once the difficulty is fixed at least. There are lots of islands I left unexplored and side quests I left unfinished that I'm excited to see. But the main story is just a huge letdown.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't kinkshame

Yeah, I think that's Tekehu working as intended. If you hang out with him it's clear he will attempt to gently caress anything within a few minutes of meeting it. There are a lot of people you'll meet who will react to him with "you hosed me / you made an earnest attempt to gently caress me but were rebuffed."

I half-heartedly romanced Maia but I got really annoyed at her getting pissy whenever I showed Huana even the slightest amount of kindness, respect, or even basic politeness.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 17, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hm. Apparently when looting after sinking a vessel, you can still be attacked, and if anything was left in the loot window it's gone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't wait for the disposition bug fix. I was going to wait to play through until the Veteran/PotD rebalance but honestly as long as the disposition/companion rep bug gets fixed sooner I'll jump in then.

I've really enjoyed what I played so far so I'm excited to really dig in.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wizard Styles posted:

And I can't lie, in the end it felt like a mercy killing more than anything else.

The game started really strong, opened up soon, writing was mostly very good and, narration sequences aside, always to the point. I liked the companions, really liked the side quests and most faction quests, and will forever love Modwyr.
But as the game went on the combat just got very stale due to the total lack of balance and, in most fights, challenge. Also, I still think that every class that isn't a formerly Vancian caster needs more active ability picks, because most builds are pretty limited in what they can actually do. There were also a lot of smaller annoyances that, in combination, ended up dragging the game down. Everything involving the ship is boring and shallow. Every decent weapon you find is a sword or a saber. And the bugs don't help either, of course.

So ultimately I decided to finish the game quickly just to get it done, with half of the map unexplored and Maia not even recruited. (The game also forgot that I had recruited Pallegina at some point but that's probably for the best; there's no way she would have gotten a good ending.)
So, after a couple of in-game weeks of just loving around, I got back to the main quest. And that ended up being very disappointing.
I realize that I'm a Watcher, so I guess it's to be expected that I'm doing a lot of passive observing, but it would have been nice to have an active role in the story. Or a purpose.
Close to the end Berath or some other god told me that I'm the only one Eothas would listen to. I don't know why he would, but of course he did. Then Eothas told me that many leaders would come to me asking for guidance in the future. They have no reason to. The game told me that, after everything was done, the enormity of what I had accomplished sunk in. I didn't do poo poo. I suggested something to Eothas and then I watched his story end after watching it unfold throughout the game.

I expect a lot of the problems I have with the game to just go away over time considering all the attention PoE1 got after release. And I'm looking forward to a second playthrough, once the difficulty is fixed at least. There are lots of islands I left unexplored and side quests I left unfinished that I'm excited to see. But the main story is just a huge letdown.

the real plot is what happens to deadfire and the lost city, imo. almost all of the ending screens are about that, rather than the wheel, and eothas is gonna do what he's gonna do regardless. I agree that they might as well just not have included him, like, just have the watcher get visions of the city and maybe something there will end the world or kill him if they don't shut it off... but where is it? and who can get us there? and then you get the same stuff without this weird pointless god plot which I don't care about

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 17, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Playing the first game. gently caress these shades, holy poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You're the most important figure in kith history and you interacted with [Often murdered] more powerful beings than anything else that's ever existed. You've also, you know, died and come back to life and are the chosen instrument of at least one god that everyone knows about. The last figure in a similar position to you lead a nation on similar credentials, and a god needed to intervene to strike him down.

And yet you are shocked people might find you influential?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mulva posted:

You're the most important figure in kith history and you interacted with [Often murdered] more powerful beings than anything else that's ever existed. You've also, you know, died and come back to life and are the chosen instrument of at least one god that everyone knows about. The last figure in a similar position to you lead a nation on similar credentials, and a god needed to intervene to strike him down.

And yet you are shocked people might find you influential?

I'm not shocked by that, especially since you're responsible for whatever faction getting control of the region; it's true, though, that the "main plot" of a big god statue has, like, three events tied to it and then results in a three button ending. It'd be better off without it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harrow posted:

I can't wait for the disposition bug fix. I was going to wait to play through until the Veteran/PotD rebalance but honestly as long as the disposition/companion rep bug gets fixed sooner I'll jump in then.

I've really enjoyed what I played so far so I'm excited to really dig in.

Yeah I'm basically waiting for the companion rep bug to play "for real" except. . well poo poo I've gotten 25 achievements and 47 Berath Points, I kinda AM playing "for real"

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

So I had Pellagina go Palladin/Chanter but I can't actually change any to her A or B chants. I have to edit her C chant because it's the only usable one.

Is bug?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

corn in the bible posted:

ropekid please release a blood pool dlc

You don't need a DLC, there's a hidden blood pool near where you find Rekke.

Speaking of: what the gently caress, Rekke develops a relatively big conversation tree and you can ask him about every party member including the other sidekicks! He has at least as much dialogue as Modwyr!
He even translated that Strange Tablet I bought in Port Maje and have had in my stash the entire game.
:psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I'm basically waiting for the companion rep bug to play "for real" except. . well poo poo I've gotten 25 achievements and 47 Berath Points, I kinda AM playing "for real"

I got up to 36 Berath Bucks and decided I should probably stop now or I'll burn myself out on the early game. I might make a bunch of burner characters to screw around with the low levels of various classes and multiclass combos, maybe, if the patch still isn't here after I come back from the trip I'm going on this weekend.

Still probably going single-class Shattered Pillar Monk but there are a bunch of multiclass combos that just look really drat fun so I should probably at least take those for a spin.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bewilderment posted:

He even translated that Strange Tablet I bought in Port Maje and have had in my stash the entire game.
:psyduck:

aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

frajaq posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa

Go talk to him after Hasongo.
Translating that tablet sure is worth it.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thinking about my soulscientist / pro-animist / anti-gods party for my "real playthrough:"

pc - fighter-devoted/ranger-sharpshooter w/ arquebus
rekke - fighter (s+s tank?)
pallegina - paladin/chanter (s+s, healing chants)
ydwin - cipher
fassina - wizard/chanter (dps chants)

Thoughts? Suggestions on how to build each of them? Is fighter/ranger the best choice for max non-magic damage at range?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

bewilderment posted:

Go talk to him after Hasongo.
Translating that tablet sure is worth it.

Holy cow.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm enjoying the story/characters but the lack of combat challenge is definitely a bit of a drag at the moment. I've had like 3-4 challenging fights on POTD but I'm mostly on auto pilot.

2nd playthrough once Obsidian revamps POTD should be good. The game is in a much more polished state than Poe1 was at release so if they can tweak the combat and some of the other stuff I think there's a very good game waiting just like there was with Poe1 after the fixes/expansions.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Wrong animal, but close.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Just finished the game and wow, what a blast. Pillars 2 seemed to fix or address all of the problems I had with the first game. Obsidian did a great job with the game and I'm definitely looking forward to the DLC.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Adnor posted:

So in the end, when are they going to fix the math with the blunted crits? I've read that they do less damage than normal hits and my main character crits all the goddamn time with guns

Reposting the quick fix for this you can do yourself if you're so inclined:

Oh hey, I dunno if you remember, I was asking about how these work a little before release? If you want to manually fix it in your game it's a very easy tweak. Go the game folder/PillarsofeternityII_Data/exported/design/gamedata. Open the file statuseffects.gamedatabundle, preferably in a good text editor like notepad++. Search for "BluntedCrit". A little ways after it you'll see a value called "basevalue". Change that to 0.80 for the intended effect (crits do the same damage as hits). Personally I have mine at 0.85 for crits that are still nerfed, but a little better than just hitting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bewilderment posted:

You don't need a DLC, there's a hidden blood pool near where you find Rekke.

where exactly?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lol what's the crit bug?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

StashAugustine posted:

Lol what's the crit bug?

The "blunted criticals" effect on guns and arbalests makes them do slightly less damage on a crit than they do on a normal hit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StashAugustine posted:

Lol what's the crit bug?

If you're using a gun or arbalest, you do less damage on a critical hit than on a normal hit, due to an apparent error in how "blunted criticals" is calculated.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

StashAugustine posted:

Lol what's the crit bug?

Criticals are a 1.25 damage multiplier. Guns have a "blunted criticals" damage multiplier of 0.75 which is intended to make crits equal damage to hits ... but in fact means that a critical with those weapons does 0.75 * 1.25 = 93.75% of the damage of a normal hit.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I have no clue, it popped up somewhere in the east on an island, showed up as a Bog or Trail I think?

--

I have no idea where I picked up this Ordinary Sword but I'm glad I examined it before I sold it off. Huh.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
(Aloth's companion quest)

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah I think it's bugged. I had no option to do it in dialogue. Probably the quest doesn't expect you to do the slaver island quests before you get there. I fixed the bug by depopulating the village.

I did do the slaver island quests before I got there, actually, but doing so did cause some weirdness in the dialogue tree so I'm not surprised if it broke for you somehow.

(in particular, the option I mentioned didn't show up the first time I spoke to the NPC, for some reason I had to do it twice).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Is there any point in getting Spiritual Weapon for Xoti? It's literally what she's already using.

I haven't played far into the game because I keep restarting, but just from a little time using the spell and reading the descriptions, yes, there's a point. The items granted by the spell are different in three ways:

First, they scale with character level, but xotis weapons can only be upgraded to fine (I think).

Second, they don't get the enchantment upgrades her actual stuff can get (I think).

Third, the summoned sickle gets 50% multiplicative bonus slash damage, which combined with its base enchants and the scaling property makes it a very good weapon.

On a somewhat related note, people are knocking on her contemplative choice a lot, and I thought it was really bad at first too, but thinking about it, it's better than it seems. There's still a lot of really good stuff at low levels in monk, and at level 10, so still not too late, you'll get devotions for the faithful, which is one of the best abilities of any power level in the game and maybe of the only major reasons to bring a priest in the first place.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone found any unique wizard robes or failing that a set of heavy plate that would work well with a fighter/wizard dual class? I've kept every unique item I've picked up and the only robes I've found are Effigy's Husk and I guess Arkhemyr's Robes but they have no enchantment on them.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has anyone found any unique wizard robes or failing that a set of heavy plate that would work well with a fighter/wizard dual class? I've kept every unique item I've picked up and the only robes I've found are Effigy's Husk and I guess Arkhemyr's Robes but they have no enchantment on them.
Devil of Caroc Breastplate (shop in Periki) has effective ~9% slower action speed, similarly Miscreant's Leather (killing Benwick) has effective ~2%

In terms of robes, the ones I've found are Humility (location forgotten) and Effigy's Husk (location also forgotten)

Not sure if there's more.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 17, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Priest summon weapon owns. Playing a Berath Shieldbearer Templar. I get three options for weapons for 3 different situations. Dual pistol to provide range backup and initiate while my tougher characters enage, then mace+board if I am being overwhelmed or just need to get close to bless my dudes. Or I can summon Beraths sword of +1Fuckoffery to just annihilate enemies even at 9 might.

Also, I must say I kind of like Templar for easy role-play. My character is defined and I have to follow that. And it's easy to pick up after messing around with other character starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

Sorry :(

Doesn't someone mention that Roparu being reborn as higher castes is completely unproven? I don't think the existence you lead in a previous life has any impact on how you're reincarnated, it's random and the rewarding nature of reincarnation is just a local religious belief.

Isn't it actually the case that they look at your past life and assign you your caste on that? So you're basically locked into the same caste unless you really gently caress up enough that they demote you next time round? I know Tikawahara sorta mentions they at least do that.