Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

In Universal Attractor, things sure slow down when you hit about 30-50 neutron stars. The next upgrade is at 200 NS. Luckily there's a bug in the game where you can just prestige^3 (the final 'super nova' prestige that gives you a neutron star) and it doesn't check if you actually can, which means pasting a few lines of JS into the console gives you infinite NS. :v:

The 200 NS upgrade unlocked challenges, so at least now the game is interesting again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I'm stalling out at like e160 mysteries in Idle Wizard. The next milestone is 200 and it feels like I have to start doing ridiculously long exiles to even go up by one.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
nooooo, a new zone

don't think I'll finish my no equipment challenges by then. Why am I doing them, you ask? AP and completing numbers! (I like completing numbers.)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

RG update just hit. It's pretty big and almost everything is A2 content I think. :dance:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Buzkashi posted:

I'm stalling out at like e160 mysteries in Idle Wizard. The next milestone is 200 and it feels like I have to start doing ridiculously long exiles to even go up by one.
How's your equipment? Have you hoovered up all the easy secret achievements?

Beyond that, Umbramancer is pretty dumb and with even a single day run I was getting multiple orders of magnitude. Once you can get to Alchemist, switch to that, but I know that's a while from now.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Hey somethingggg, is the 'droop' goblin a reference to the mines of phandelver DnD module or just a huge coincidince? You fukkin nerd. :allears:

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 16, 2018

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Yeah, in my Dnd group Droop has turned into much more. A friend has played him through several campaigns and Droop has become a time and dimension-travelling goblin that affects a lot of major plot points without realizing. Kind of like a goblin version of Forrest Gump.

He always announced himself as Droop the 2nd, son of Droop the 1st, son of Uug the Unmentionable. That's where the Titan comes from.

Dropping some deep NGU lore on yall.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm running phandelver atm and I'm having fun treating Droop as a goblin ramora who has latched onto the party and refuses to be abandoned to the point where he stalks along after them at night the one time they left him behind. He's a real fun character. I'm going to be running SKT with the same group on the heels of this campaign and I'm hoping droop ends up getting dragged along.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016
NGU

Can someone explain the math behind the Beard permanent "ticks"?

I thought it was sqrt(level) * (1/3) * hours played

so it should be +1 at level 9, +2 at level 36, +3 at level 81, +4 at level 144

but I just checked and you get +1 at level 4, and +2 at level 20...

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Numberwang posted:

NGU

if it’s anything like exp calculations, it’ll round up to the next whole value, and then calculate growth from that value, meaning actual scaling ends up being considerably faster than the formula. at least, that’s the only guess i’ve got as to why 2% exp bonuses are so impactful

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How's your equipment? Have you hoovered up all the easy secret achievements?

Beyond that, Umbramancer is pretty dumb and with even a single day run I was getting multiple orders of magnitude. Once you can get to Alchemist, switch to that, but I know that's a while from now.

My equipment is pretty garbo and I'm working on that now, but just hanging out with the upgraded Homun to get slightly more crafting mats is such a slog. I'm working with the empowered head and shoulders, ribcage chest, netherloop ring, legacy boots, and umbral coil waist. It's just a mishmash of what the RNG gods have graced me with, and I have three empty slots I haven't been lucky enough to get any items for, meanwhile I'm sitting on like six helms.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Buzkashi posted:

My equipment is pretty garbo and I'm working on that now, but just hanging out with the upgraded Homun to get slightly more crafting mats is such a slog. I'm working with the empowered head and shoulders, ribcage chest, netherloop ring, legacy boots, and umbral coil waist. It's just a mishmash of what the RNG gods have graced me with, and I have three empty slots I haven't been lucky enough to get any items for, meanwhile I'm sitting on like six helms.
Yeah, that's probably part of your roadblock. Upgrade the stupid Artificer's Shoulders first once you've got everything you can craft, because +25% crafting resources is stupid and they should take it out of the game.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Numberwang posted:

NGU

There's also a cap for very early on that the number of "permanent levels" a beard can gain is capped by the temp level. This only kicks in for maybe the first couple times you do a beard shave cycle,when you don't make many beard levels. it prevents you from gaining say 1 beard level, going for 24 hours, and then gaining what would be 8 perm levels according to the formula i have set up.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Is the eternity section of antimatter just slow as balls? I feel like I went from first eternity to extremely fast ones in the blink of an eye, but rolling up on the time theorem upgrade right before EC1 and I typically get 1 order of magnitude more EP overnight and then a long eternity gets me maybe 2-3 theorems from am/ip. Am I just in a slog before the challenges blow my production up? Upgrades and theorems are so far apart and the scaling on all the EP purchases seems really puffed up.

Maybe I'm just bad and dumb and have my auto-eternity/crunch set up bad, but the guides don't seem to cover this far in and with so many knobs to twist it's hard to tell if I'm doing minor optimizations to a bad setup because a good one is so different from how I'm running.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Eldercain posted:

Is the eternity section of antimatter just slow as balls? I feel like I went from first eternity to extremely fast ones in the blink of an eye, but rolling up on the time theorem upgrade right before EC1 and I typically get 1 order of magnitude more EP overnight and then a long eternity gets me maybe 2-3 theorems from am/ip. Am I just in a slog before the challenges blow my production up? Upgrades and theorems are so far apart and the scaling on all the EP purchases seems really puffed up.

Maybe I'm just bad and dumb and have my auto-eternity/crunch set up bad, but the guides don't seem to cover this far in and with so many knobs to twist it's hard to tell if I'm doing minor optimizations to a bad setup because a good one is so different from how I'm running.

There's a discord (that's extremely memey in the worst sort of way) but you can pop in and they'll be able to give you tips. It's linked on the game page.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Teddybear posted:

There's a discord (that's extremely memey in the worst sort of way) but you can pop in and they'll be able to give you tips. It's linked on the game page.

If it's a bunch of people who think the achievements are funny, I think I'll probably just struggle instead. Cheers, tho.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Eldercain posted:

If it's a bunch of people who think the achievements are funny, I think I'll probably just struggle instead. Cheers, tho.
every so often I'm really glad goons have good taste, this is one such time

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
nvm

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Eldercain posted:

Yeah, but if you hop on and get the tips then get out it'll be fine. I just mute the server and everything except the channel for the IP/EP level I'm in.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Teddybear posted:

I had some trouble with Universal Attractor last week so I hopped on their Discord server, but the last message posted there in any channel was a week ago. :(

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I recently started Swarm Simulator on iOS, are there any must knows or good tips that will give me a good head start?

Just ascended for the first time and went with the larvae and energy generation. Not sure if that's the best combo, bus seems like it since I was always short on larvae and it took forever to get the required rocket fuel for my first ascension.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

I recently started Swarm Simulator on iOS, are there any must knows or good tips that will give me a good head start?

Just ascended for the first time and went with the larvae and energy generation. Not sure if that's the best combo, bus seems like it since I was always short on larvae and it took forever to get the required rocket fuel for my first ascension.

The wiki on the subreddit has a build to use for your first ascension. IIRC it's meat + lepidoptera early then free respec to bat + swarm warp once you get your nexus built up then when you get your ascension cost down to ~70k stop buying hatcheries til you have a dozen+ of them and swap to frequency + meta to finish out. Only spend about 10% of your mutagen at the start of the run, unspent mutagen will dwarf your normal larvae production for most of each ascension.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its ridiculous how good unspent mutagen really is for production. I had so much larva that I can get to arch minds within a couple hours now and that's not really active play.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Merijn posted:

I had some trouble with Universal Attractor last week so I hopped on their Discord server, but the last message posted there in any channel was a week ago. :(

That's likely because the dev has patched basically every bug currently in the game but only applied it to "test" but if you aren't a tester and go to play on test he bans you from discord and you are "banned from playing the game at all". He's pretty crazy and has no intention of patching live until "test" is ready even though the way he used it on github it'd be trivial to push the bug fixes to live.

After being on UA's discord I stopped playing after a few days because of how much of a dick the dev was.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
NGU

Hey something, can you do something about performance?

The game is using ridiculous amounts of CPU and it is particularly bothersome because offline only has limited progression.

Option to limit framerate could help?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Banemaster posted:

NGU

Hey something, can you do something about performance?

The game is using ridiculous amounts of CPU and it is particularly bothersome because offline only has limited progression.

Option to limit framerate could help?

I wasn't going to say anything because I don't have exactly a high-end computer, but yea, it takes like 15-20% of my CPU sometimes and it's a bit of a chore.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Apparently a few people had issues with the last update with performance, but it might have been something on unity's side? Webgl is rear end when it comes to performance in general.

I've routinely been adding in optimizations wherever I can, but i can only go so far with it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

that's what made me mention the other day i'd like a standalone client. my chrome tab with the game open has been taking 25-30% cpu pretty consistently, not sure how recently it started though.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I do plan to head to Steam eventually, and I know that that version will be way less harsh on your CPU.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

something posted:

I do plan to head to Steam eventually, and I know that that version will be way less harsh on your CPU.

Any chance of a fully standalone client until then? People would have to export their save and load it on Kong to buy AP but that's the only issue with releasing a windows native EXE. I guess it wouldn't be too much more complicated to just add the steam API and run a green light campaign or however you get a game on steam these days.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I think it's just a "pay 100$" thingnow. But, I would have to imagine with the numbers NGU pulls that Steam wouldn't say no. I hope?

Anyways, that's a ways off for now. I could maybe see about reviving the standalone, it's been many many many builds since I last made one of those.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The Infinity Cube is brilliant, something. I appreciate having a place to use the scads of power/toughness boosts instead of strictly filtering them out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

something posted:

I don't play Idle games on Steam because I don't want my most played game to be a 3000 hours clicker :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samuringa posted:

I don't play Idle games on Steam because I don't want my most played game to be a 3000 hours clicker :(

You can hide that, now. :razz:

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I ran a Big Scan and it says that NGU is secretly mining something called BitGroin and that's why my computer is exploding. I'd provide more proof but the scanner exe.vbs says it needs $200 to work again, so while my western unions go through I just hope everyone stays safe out there.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sage Grimm posted:

The Infinity Cube is brilliant, something. I appreciate having a place to use the scads of power/toughness boosts instead of strictly filtering them out.

This and the beards have me high as gently caress about the game. I just love poo poo with permanance that I can gradually beef up.

It's also the best game because there's just so much math going on and so many avenues of progression that unlike most idle games, there are no strict guides to optimization. It feels like such a better game knowing I'm forging my own awkward math path rather than just following a guide and sutopiloting my way to bigger numbers.

Just realized I had a bunch of stupid GameStop points that I covered in to the 4th accessory slot. It being on sale pushed me towards doing so, so keep doing thay, I guess. I can see dropping another five bucks when beard slots go on sale!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

pixaal posted:

That's likely because the dev has patched basically every bug currently in the game but only applied it to "test" but if you aren't a tester and go to play on test he bans you from discord and you are "banned from playing the game at all". He's pretty crazy and has no intention of patching live until "test" is ready even though the way he used it on github it'd be trivial to push the bug fixes to live.

After being on UA's discord I stopped playing after a few days because of how much of a dick the dev was.

Yeah I saw lots of warnings on the Discord server about playing the test version if you aren't a tester. I don't care about being banned from his Discord server, but how does he expect to ban people from a website game?

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018

Merijn posted:

Yeah I saw lots of warnings on the Discord server about playing the test version if you aren't a tester. I don't care about being banned from his Discord server, but how does he expect to ban people from a website game?

Well, I guess he could ban an ip address from accessing the website, but since most people don't have static ip addresses on their home networks, I don't see how that would work.

That kind of dick move though makes me not want to play the game.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So I also had performance dip a bit with the latest NGU update.

Possibly related: when I'm not in idle mode, skills that are ready continue to pulse as if they're undimming constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
A few people have mentioned that issue, and it might just be unity being unity? I think pixaal knew of something that might help.

Yo pixaal where you at homie