Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
No show or movie or whatever is perfect (lol the guy's name is Holden I think he's kind of supposed to suck? I haven't read the books) but I really liked The Expanse and I think a lot of other people do too. If this really is it's last season then at least it's getting a proper ending, no endless cliffhanger bullshit. At it's core though, it's about people trying to do the right thing in the face of overwhelming bullshit and as "gritty and dark" as it is I think that aspect shines through and makes it feel overall less oppressive to me than say, BSG.

I guess my original point was that after all these years I've learned that the basic Star Trek formula can still actually work if the people doing it are at least somewhat talented and totally earnest about what they want to do, and I shouldn't really be surprised that works better than fleeing from the whole idea while winking at it as hard as you can like some other shows do cough cough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

Kelly gets best actress? She's just as mediocre as Seth. If anyone deserves it, Alara does.

Comedy option: Norm Macdonald gets both best actor and best actress because his character is genderless.

yeah alara and bortus are the clear nominees really

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tighclops posted:

If this really is it's last season then at least it's getting a proper ending, no endless cliffhanger bullshit.

Where in the world did you get that idea? It's based on a series of books that is still going and from what I understand the 2nd book is wrapping up with the mid-season episode tonight. It's absolutely going to end the season in a cliffhanger with numerous ongoing threads that aren't even introduced yet.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

accord posted:

I like expanse just enough to care it got cancelled, but lol @ the first season for thinking I care about the goody two shoes bland dude with the cult birth bg when really I wanted husky voice lady and the pretty Southern boy brute

While Baltimore is technically in the south, don't get caught saying that in Charm City.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Measly Twerp posted:

The Expanse got cancelled because it was so boring that nobody watched it yet still obscenely expensive. The main cast were entirely forgettable for the first season except for that Indian lady with the husky voice who's name I can't even remember.

Look, I don't want to hate on something you enjoy just because I didn't personally like it, but lets not pretend that The Expanse didn't have problems.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Expanse is one of those shows that you check the DVR to see how much time is left and let out a groan no matter where it is on the timeline.

And I like the show, but holy hell it drags. Also the biggest actor is the Punisher and he's dead. Otherwise it's the husky voiced Indian lady and the guy who looks like the actor on The Tick but who isn't.

accord posted:

I like expanse just enough to care it got cancelled, but lol @ the first season for thinking I care about the goody two shoes bland dude with the cult birth bg when really I wanted husky voice lady and the pretty Southern boy brute

Holy poo poo I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was almost embarrassed to say I was bored by it. It's a show I wanted to like so bad, and it was kinda interesting, but never really hooked me. There are some shows that are just drat compelling from the get go, and this was not one of them. I guess I'll get to it someday, I mean it's on Netflix now, but it's not a show I look forward to, compared to Orville or even DISCO especially the 2nd half of the season.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Where in the world did you get that idea? It's based on a series of books that is still going and from what I understand the 2nd book is wrapping up with the mid-season episode tonight. It's absolutely going to end the season in a cliffhanger with numerous ongoing threads that aren't even introduced yet.

One of the show's producers said something to that effect on twitter

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they said this season of The Expanse ends without a cliffhanger.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn’t get the expanse first time around, I just stuck to it for a few eps because all my friends told me it’s amazing. But then the space battle episode came and then I watched it all and also read the books (they’re perfect material for intercontinental flights).

It’s good to have (had) both it and The Orville.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My friends were all like, "it's so awesome, it's realistic space battles" and realistic space battles are boring.

I really don't care why an Tie Fighter that can fly in both space and in atmosphere has wings that serve no purpose in either. It's fun to watch them fly around. It's not as much fun watching a prototype Mars warship spend several minutes using it's stabilizer jets to get into position for attack.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well now, that's ... an opinion. The space combat is fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

My friends were all like, "it's so awesome, it's realistic space battles" and realistic space battles are boring.

I really don't care why an Tie Fighter that can fly in both space and in atmosphere has wings that serve no purpose in either. It's fun to watch them fly around. It's not as much fun watching a prototype Mars warship spend several minutes using it's stabilizer jets to get into position for attack.

Babylon 5 had the best TV space battles.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'd say "The Expanse's realistic space battles are actually very tense and enjoyable", but you actually admit to liking Star Wars

The Donnager battle in Expanse is very interesting in a similar way as Balance of Power/Wrath of Khan are.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've never seen The Expanse, and if they try for ~~realism~~ but the characters have gravity and aren't just floating around and peeing in spacecondoms I never will.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've never seen The Expanse, and if they try for ~~realism~~ but the characters have gravity and aren't just floating around and peeing in spacecondoms I never will.

They don't have gravity. Space stations have spin and they even show different effects depending on how far from the center you are.

Ships only have 'gravity' while under thrust. Otherwise, they are only walking around by using magnetic boots. Ships are explicitly designed as a tower so that the floors are perpendicular to the axis of thrust.

About the only scifi contrivance they have with respect to gravity (outside of what the proto-molecule can do) is they apparently have a drug cocktail that helps with high-g effects.

They actually have different color coding for the pages of the script depending on the level of gravity in the scene.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

I'd say "The Expanse's realistic space battles are actually very tense and enjoyable", but you actually admit to liking Star Wars

The Donnager battle in Expanse is very interesting in a similar way as Balance of Power/Wrath of Khan are.

I will admit the space battles are a highlight of the show, but it still feels like a chore watching them. I do like how they handle depressurization, although it seems like they spend a lot of time shooting at non-critical parts of the ships in hopes of hitting something important. You'd think targeting systems could have advanced to the point where they'd just shoot out half the booster jets and let the enemy ship spin helplessly in circles like an one-armed guy in a canoe.

Don't get me wrong, I liked The Expanse and I wish it was continuing, even if I haven't gotten around to watching any of this season's episodes on my DVR. I'm not surprised it's going away though.

They spend a lot of time dealing with gravity or the lack thereof.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Krispy Wafer posted:

You'd think targeting systems could have advanced to the point where they'd just shoot out half the booster jets

But what about when...

quote:

even if I haven't gotten around to watching any of this season's episodes on my DVR.

Oh.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
The Expanse and The Orville are both good shows that scratch completely different sci-fi itches for me, and I'm sad the former is ending and happy that the latter is returning. Well, those are my scorchingly hot takes, thanks for listening. :tipshat:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bull3964 posted:

They don't have gravity. Space stations have spin and they even show different effects depending on how far from the center you are.

Ships only have 'gravity' while under thrust. Otherwise, they are only walking around by using magnetic boots. Ships are explicitly designed as a tower so that the floors are perpendicular to the axis of thrust.

About the only scifi contrivance they have with respect to gravity (outside of what the proto-molecule can do) is they apparently have a drug cocktail that helps with high-g effects.

They actually have different color coding for the pages of the script depending on the level of gravity in the scene.

That sounds expensive! No wonder it was cancelled

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Faithfulness to the books be damned. I am glad to hear they're going to try ending it properly, because I haven't watched it yet and a non-ending would discourage me from getting around to it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I found it really hard to watch the expanse because I had to super strain to understand what the characters were saying and subtitles on Netflix are poo poo and enormous.
I'm not sure what it is about them - but there's a person in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix who is watching over Harry at the start of the film and her voice has the same effect on me. No matter how loud it is I've got to try so hard that I just can't be bothered with it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

I found it really hard to watch the expanse because I had to super strain to understand what the characters were saying and subtitles on Netflix are poo poo and enormous.
I'm not sure what it is about them - but there's a person in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix who is watching over Harry at the start of the film and her voice has the same effect on me. No matter how loud it is I've got to try so hard that I just can't be bothered with it.

That was Laurel

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Cingulate posted:

"Punch it BB-8!" beats "surprise rear end in a top hat" every time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

That was Laurel

Or possibly Yanny.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Taear posted:

The show has awful sound mastering and no understanding of the importance of establishing shots; I've read the first two books and still got lost trying to follow what was going on.

It's a great show if you care about the general idea of being someone who people refer to as "really smart" or if you get mad bone ons for Accuracy over Storytelling but it isn't really good if you like entertainment designed to entertain or tell stories.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the expanse and I don't care what you think about it or about me

I enjoyed it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope Ed and Kelly are back together again when the show comes back. Probably the best written couple on television.

e: I'm only sort of trolling. I think there's potential for something really good there.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 18, 2018

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Whalley posted:

The show has awful sound mastering and no understanding of the importance of establishing shots; I've read the first two books and still got lost trying to follow what was going on.

It's a great show if you care about the general idea of being someone who people refer to as "really smart" or if you get mad bone ons for Accuracy over Storytelling but it isn't really good if you like entertainment designed to entertain or tell stories.
I think it's very entertaining, past the first few episodes.

I agree it's confusingly filmed at times.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Expanse and The Orville are both good shows that scratch completely different sci-fi itches for me, and I'm sad the former is ending and happy that the latter is returning. Well, those are my scorchingly hot takes, thanks for listening. :tipshat:
Yes, the two are very complimentary.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's infinitely better when a show ends on it's own terms with a written and planned ending. Otherwise it just up and ends after a cliffhanger. Or they pull a castle and end with a cliffhanger followed by a thirty second clip of the main couple surrounded by their children.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Expanse is really good and has a bunch of really strong actors in it. It's a drat shame that none of them happen to be the lead though.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Didnt the expanse get picked up by amazon since bezos has a major stiffy for it?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Didnt the expanse get picked up by amazon since bezos has a major stiffy for it?

The deal isn't finalized but it's probably happening.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Seth MacFarlane has publicly slammed Fox:

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/1008078997429710848

And he followed it up with a $2 million donation to National Public Radio and another $500K to his local public radio affiliate, presumably to help counteract Fox News:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/seth-macfarlane-npr-fox-news-1202851215

No word on how mad Fox is about all this. I wouldn't expect them to cancel his show out of spite, but you never know...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Well its also going to be seperated and sold off to either Disney or Comcast soon. Fox Entertainment has always been treated separately than Fox News and now they are going to be owned by different people, so this is about as safe a time as any for the Entertainment people to slam the News division.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Powered Descent posted:

Seth MacFarlane has publicly slammed Fox:

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/1008078997429710848

And he followed it up with a $2 million donation to National Public Radio and another $500K to his local public radio affiliate, presumably to help counteract Fox News:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/seth-macfarlane-npr-fox-news-1202851215

No word on how mad Fox is about all this. I wouldn't expect them to cancel his show out of spite, but you never know...

I try to separate actors's craftwork and performance from their views on politics, but when they chose to run their asinine tantrums in public, it makes it difficult to isolate the former mentioned qualities. Please shut up Seth and do the show you've worked so hard to get on screen. Don't ruin this.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

R-Type posted:

I try to separate actors's craftwork and performance from their views on politics, but when they chose to run their asinine tantrums in public, it makes it difficult to isolate the former mentioned qualities. Please shut up Seth and do the show you've worked so hard to get on screen. Don't ruin this.

I kind of feel like standing up for your principals even if it might hurt you is the type of lesson Seth would have learned from the things that inspired his TV show, so

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

swickles posted:

Well its also going to be seperated and sold off to either Disney or Comcast soon. Fox Entertainment has always been treated separately than Fox News and now they are going to be owned by different people, so this is about as safe a time as any for the Entertainment people to slam the News division.

Also, no amount of calling Fox News poo poo is really all that asinine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

R-Type posted:

telling people not to listen only to fox news is an asinine tantrum...?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

R-Type posted:

You realize that Seth is saying it's wrong to tell people not to critically think, to a official statement from Fox News that was basically telling people not to look into what other stations were reporting on because they were all reporting on the fact that the Trump Administration was separating undocumented workers from their children and putting the children in camps where they were forced to live in tents by themselves without heating or Cooling and on bare minimum of food and water. I mean, when the government is literally doing concentration camps and you're telling people not to listen to the news reporting on that, I think it's a good thing to call bullshit and tell people they should look into the matter because the fact we have literal concentration camps for children is hosed up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seth MacFarlane is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

Seth MacFarlane is right.

hosed up if but true