Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cheston posted:

I've got some custom AI sets I really like. They go in the CustomAIBehaviors folder in the directory where your saves are kept. (On windows, that's <username>\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity II\CustomAIBehaviors.)

Eder - Swashbuckler
This set keeps Disciplined/Tactical Barrage up, pulls in nearby enemies, and tosses out Blinding/Confounding Strike every so often on the biggest bad. Here's how Into the Fray is scripted: If there's at least 1 enemy already in melee range, AND there's a target not in melee range, Eder will pull them in. (If there are multiple possible targets, he'll target the enemy with the lowest Reflex.) He usually ends up with a nice circle of enemies around him. If you'd like, you can set the "At least 2/3/5 Guile/Discipline" toggles higher, leaving Eder with some resources in the bank for oh-poo poo moments. (I'm probably going to do this for the higher-level Fighter defensive abilities.)

Aloth - Wizard
Mostly a starter set, because Wizard has so many spells. This keeps Arcane Veil and Llengrath's Safeguard up without redundantly casting them. (Repeat the pattern for any other defensive abilities you want Aloth to have.) Otherwise, in order of priority, it's AOE foe-only debuffs, Tayn's Chaotic Orb (I love that loving spell), keeping Kalakoth's Minor Blights summoned, summoning Maura's Writhing Tentacles on the biggest bad, Ninagauth's Killing Bolt when it has a chance to kill, and casting single-target or foe-only damage spells. Add whatever spells in each category you want him casting regularly- by the end of every encounter he should be out of spell slots. If you want him to keep a spell slot handy, either add a very long cooldown to spells from that tier, or just don't let him cast from that tier at all.

Tekehu - Druid / Theurge
I don't script Chanter invocations at all (I like being able to just click on Tekehu and pop one off whenever), so this works for him as a Druid or as a multiclass. This set tries to cast Nature's Balm immediately when a fight starts, usually hitting most of the party due to the fast cast time. (I tend to manually control Eder until he's positioned correctly, so I keep him from running off until it's cast.) After that, it's spiritshifting and Relentless/Returning storm if enemies are in melee, Chill Fog (or if out of spell slots, another foe-only Watershaper aoe) on the greatest number of enemies, Moonwell/The Moon's Light on the greatest number of allies possible when one is hurt, and summoning Ondra's Whip near the most enemies possible. IIRC he tends to use up all the lower spell slots, but I might be missing a tier.

Quoting this post so I can remember to try these out later. I generally script Into the Fray to grab the *farthest* enemies, because those are generally the ones most worth grabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

(...) I want to do a psychopathic nihilist battlemage or psyblade for my next playthrough (...)
Nihilist you say? You might find interesting that supposedly it is possible to talk Eothas into destroying all Eora in the end.

Edit:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Where them swords come from

Min's Fortune is in Old City in Nekataka, one the corpse that triggers giant undead ambush.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
Any way to replace main theme, in game music, and any and all sound effects with sea shanties?

pls answer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Oblivious posted:

Where them swords come from

Mins Fortune is from the Old City. Not sure on the Aldris Blade. You could substitute a number of other weapons with good on crit effects though (Beza's Toothed Blade, Last Word).

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Harrow posted:

That's a combo that would be pretty fun on a Skald I bet. Extra crits, cool effects on crit, and you're getting phrases on crit so you get to spam invocations even more.

The only problem with Skald is the casting/recovery time for doing invocations. It'd work better on a class that's all about attacking instead of mixing it up with spells.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

I did this except I had the gauntlets that do shock damage on a crit on him instead. That said, even with dirty fighting, conqueror's stance, and zealous aura, he wasn't critting at near the rate PoE1 characters would. It didn't end up being as impressive as it seemed like it would be. My main character scored significantly more crits by using a single one handed weapon. Also, I don't think sabers are all that great tbh. There's just too many enemies with high slashing armor.

It was still a decent set up, but he was a fairly distant third in overall damage output for my team. I specced him for DPS over survivability, too.

If you're playing below PotD it's probably better.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Ravenfood posted:

You've got one more than me, actually. Where'd you find the zombie

I assume it is the guy from the small undead island in the southeast, after you defeat the boss and end the curse he offers to give you a helmet, you can decline and ask he join your crew.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Harrow posted:

People with endgame Monks: are you staying mostly unarmed, or do endgame unique weapons start to outstrip fists? Dual sabres is looking especially great.

Mostly fists, unless I'm not penning. That's rare, though- crush is a pretty good damage type, and you get a lot of pen on those fists.

Though this might have been a case were I was playing suboptimally and it just didn't matter because the game is so easy. Compare/contrast:

Fists:

Dual swords I kept as backup:

There are a lot of great abilities on those swords (though, raw damage probably isn't as good in Deadfire as it was in 1), and the damage/pen difference isn't that great- though, note that these swords are both fully upgraded. That costs- I spent 99% of the game using Fine or Exceptional equipment, maybe the occasional Superb. Fists are free. Also, fists benefit from empower, I am almost certain, and Prestige, if you feel like taking it.

e: I ended the game having done 160k damage and being responsible for fully half of the party's kills, almost entirely with fists.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 17, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Akong posted:

Any way to replace main theme, in game music, and any and all sound effects with sea shanties?

pls answer

The knowledge that, in tyool 2017-18, somewhere a bunch of lads and lasses piled into a sound studio and banged out some originally written sea shanties for a professional project leaves a warm fuzzy feeling deep down in me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I have like 20 hours into this game according to Steam and I haven't left tutorial island. I just keep rerolling dudes, meeting Berath, and killing skeletons in a cave. I left the beach and made it to Port Whatever for the first time last night. The character creation system is really great but I fear I will never find out if the game is actually any good

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The Aldris saber is in Ashen Maw, in the same room as the dragon .

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

FunkMonkey posted:

The knowledge that, in tyool 2017-18, somewhere a bunch of lads and lasses piled into a sound studio and banged out some originally written sea shanties for a professional project leaves a warm fuzzy feeling deep down in me.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag did this too. It was great then and it's great now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ravenfood posted:

You've got one more than me, actually. Where'd you find the zombie

That's Copperhead, from the Splintered Reef in the southeast corner of the world map. He'll hang around the Boathouse after you meet him, and can be recruited once you complete the dungeon.

bewilderment posted:

Is how I choose to resolve stuff at Poko Kahara a hard split between supporting the RDC or VTC, or is there more stuff after that?

I've found the factions to be fairly forgiving. I ended up going against each fashion's wishes at least once, and they let me keep working for them after a dialogue check. There is a point of no return, but it comes much later.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What backup weapon do y'all give to Maia ? Quarterstaff? Or bow?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ANOTHER arquebus

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I just put a war bow on her, reload bonus be damned.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Man, can I ever not decide on a build. I'm sure this has been posted countless times over the 135 pages but y'all know what's next

So... what do you guys think of Barbarian/Soul Blade? I really want to get soul blade in there somewhere. I was thinking assassin/SB but seems too squishy to me, then thought about stalker/SB but I feel like stalker probably doesn't have enough melee damage capability to make SB worthwhile.
Super pumped to play when I get back from work, assuming I can settle.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Backup weapon... Maia?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Walrus Pete posted:

Backup weapon... Maia?

Probably a third of the maps have piercing immune, slashing-resistant enemies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I made her a Geomancer so she just casts spells then

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Quoting this post so I can remember to try these out later. I generally script Into the Fray to grab the *farthest* enemies, because those are generally the ones most worth grabbing.

Oh, good idea! I saw Eder whiff a few times early on, so I went with lowest reflex, but that might not be as much of an issue later.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zore posted:

This seems to be the pro move for her as the soulbound gun gives a better bonus for wizards than rangers too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh man, you know what really fucks me off?

Sigils.

Sigils that are specifically immune to any weapon that could hit them outside of their "gently caress you here's a non-expiring debuff" radius. Sigils of Death in particular.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Ok yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. Arquebus, bow backup for slashing damage, geomancer spells for last backup.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Autonomous Monster posted:

Sigils.

Sigils that are specifically immune to any weapon that could hit them outside of their "gently caress you here's a non-expiring debuff" radius. Sigils of Death in particular.

Almost every map with sigils has a wardstone somewhere on the map. You can also buy wardstones from . . I think a vendor in brass citadel.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Deketh posted:

Man, can I ever not decide on a build. I'm sure this has been posted countless times over the 135 pages but y'all know what's next

So... what do you guys think of Barbarian/Soul Blade? I really want to get soul blade in there somewhere. I was thinking assassin/SB but seems too squishy to me, then thought about stalker/SB but I feel like stalker probably doesn't have enough melee damage capability to make SB worthwhile.
Super pumped to play when I get back from work, assuming I can settle.

I tried Soul Blade with pretty much everything and I think Fighter/SB is among the most fun. Soul Annhilation tends to get killing blows, which pairs very well with Cleave Stance. Rogue also works very well. Barbarian is very fun, but you don't get focus from Carnage and they have their own abilities for getting killing blows, so it's not quite ~~optimal~~.

One of my runs is probably gonna be a Black Jacket psyblade, switching between four weapon sets' worth of per-encounter abilities.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Just use any combination of the 3 unique war bows and spam accurate wounding shots. All 3 of those are insane in late game (or with any kind of setup like petrify), even if Maia can't get swift flurry.

Sigils.

Use scepters.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 17, 2018

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zore posted:

My biggest regret so far is making her a pure ranger.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Harrow posted:

People with endgame Monks: are you staying mostly unarmed, or do endgame unique weapons start to outstrip fists? Dual sabres is looking especially great.

Probably it really depends on a whole lot of things, mostly the AR of the things you're fighting. I did a bunch of number crunching (that might well have mistakes) and came out that using just the spear stalker's patience in one hand with swift flurry probably works out to about the same damage as fists with lightning strikes, maybe a little less. Once you get heartbeat drumming, it should outpace your fists. Note, that item has a wounding property that I didn't take into account, since I assume you'll kill everything before it matters, but that's a significant dps increase if fights drag on.

Another point in favor of that weapon is that it resets your recovery instantly on 1/3 of criticals. With swift flurry and heartbeat drumming significantly increasing your total number of hits, when you use whispers of the wind, because you hit a whole bunch of times at once, as long as your accuracy is significantly above your enemies' deflection, you should have a high chance to just be able to instantly use whispers of the wind again.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Malek Deneith posted:

Nihilist you say? You might find interesting that supposedly it is possible to talk Eothas into destroying all Eora in the end.
You can absolutely get him to do it accidentally. Serial-killer Xoti is totally into it. There are two dialogue options that are unlockable too to get it, but I didn't check what the requirements are, and one where you just say "Eh, entropy's on its way anyway, may as well get on with it." The ending's hilariously bleak though. It's basically just "Whelp, the crops failed and everybody died. Eora becomes a barren rock with a halo of essence."

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Almost every map with sigils has a wardstone somewhere on the map. You can also buy wardstones from . . I think a vendor in brass citadel.

I think I ended up with an appropriate wardstone in my inventory... maybe half the time? I did not go out of my way to stock up on them, to be fair, though I also didn't clock that there were vendors who would reliably stock them.

Eraflure posted:

Use scepters.

Tried it, not enough range.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I have like 20 hours into this game according to Steam and I haven't left tutorial island. I just keep rerolling dudes, meeting Berath, and killing skeletons in a cave. I left the beach and made it to Port Whatever for the first time last night. The character creation system is really great but I fear I will never find out if the game is actually any good

The good news is, thanks to patches, the longer you take the better the game will be

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I hate to say this, but I think Tekehaku is not a very useful companion. Druid spells in general just aren't cutting it, and his chants, while useful, are nothing compared to Pallegina's double heal aura combined with fresh fruit. I think I'm gonna drop him and put Maia in instead, and was planning on giving her Frostseeker for now. Should I multiclass her to Geomancer, or let her just straight hunter? I plan on using her as a ranged damage dealer along with my Monk.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think I ended up with an appropriate wardstone in my inventory... maybe half the time? I did not go out of my way to stock up on them, to be fair, though I also didn't clock that there were vendors who would reliably stock them.

Tried it, not enough range.

Tell Xoti to summon holy fire upon them, once you've lured the enemies away and already dealt with them.

User0015 posted:

I hate to say this, but I think Tekehaku is not a very useful companion. Druid spells in general just aren't cutting it, and his chants, while useful, are nothing compared to Pallegina's double heal aura combined with fresh fruit. I think I'm gonna drop him and put Maia in instead, and was planning on giving her Frostseeker for now. Should I multiclass her to Geomancer, or let her just straight hunter? I plan on using her as a ranged damage dealer along with my Monk.

There's not much to recommend straight Ranger - I tried it myself but the top level abilities are really pet focused and meh. Scout is probably the way to go.

Tekehu is great as a Druid if you don't multiclass him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

User0015 posted:

The propick seems to be geomancer for her, mostly because the soulbound arquebus has a better bonus if you can bind it to her "wizard" class rather than to her "ranger" class. Plus, in most people's lineups she'll probably be replacing Aloth as backline ranged damage.

User0015 posted:

I suspect that Tekehu is probably "best" as a pure druid, non-multiclassed. Not sure who he replaces then, maybe Xoti. His starting gear seems to imply he's a back row caster like Aloth, but druids are natural melee due to the sharkforms.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 17, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Question: in the Old City I fought the giant grub (i appreciated Pallegina asking how it got so big when grubs are meant to turn into beetles or something) but in the room that got unlocked afterwards my Mechanics wasn't high enough to disarm the trap or unlock any containers. I'm planning to take my high Mechanics party member back there, but since I turned in the quest will the containers still be available?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

User0015 posted:

I found him pretty useful, but I have him as a pure Druid.

Moonwell is still a really nice spell.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The one thing these kind of games never get right for me (at least since BG2) is that devs don't seem to want to make evil or at least amoral party members. I want to do a psychopathic nihilist battlemage or psyblade for my next playthrough and while the dialogue options are there for it on my end there's no supporting cast of villains to compliment it. Maybe Serafin, kinda.
You’re in a minority insofar as most gamers seem to claim (*claim*) they want more ambiguity, not less.

Also you need to think on the Deadfire party members a little deeper. Deadfire is a story about empire, which is to say it’s a story about systems, and as such you’re meant to judge characters by what they’re complicit in as much or more than by what they personally do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Harrow posted:

Yikes.

That's a combo that would be pretty fun on a Skald I bet. Extra crits, cool effects on crit, and you're getting phrases on crit so you get to spam invocations even more.

Wait, phrases on crit? Suddenly barbarian skald sounds really really good, because I poo poo crits like I've been eating Taco Bell 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

User0015 posted:

Ranger/rogue is optimal for straight damage, geomancer might be fun to play or even useful if there was any reason to use crowd control past level 8 or so.