Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They gotta make some money out of those piles of hastily reshelled MX300s, to the point of sanding down the warranty to c'est la vie levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Would make a great media drive or Time Machine backup

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’m strongly considering it for a NAS / virtualization server that’s lightly loaded but needs to somewhat quickly unpack 15 - 30 GB at a time, and while my trusty 1 TB WD Black hard drive has worked since 2009 it’s likely worth getting an SSD to avoid jamming older SSDs (I have an M4 Crucial and Mushkin that are like 8 years old now that spank hard drives) into the tiny case with so little airflow. So with a 240 GB boot and VM SSD and 1 TB scratch disk a 2 TB SSD would work nicely.

Gosh, I guess my drives are living longer than ever. Most of the boot storage drives I have in my servers have been running since 2011 or 2010 so I guess I’m due for some upgrades. I got that dumb 1 TB NVMe drive that’s doing nothing but I’m not buying a whole new machine over it either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Build a backblaze pod out of those Micron 2TB drives

90TB raw storage for $12,060

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Bob Morales posted:

Finally enough storage for pictures of ur mom

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Those ruler form factor SSDs can pack 256 TB into a 2U

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

e: nvm

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Armacham posted:

Finally enough storage for pictures of ur mom

https://twitter.com/FOX26Houston/status/996838789451427840

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Holy poo poo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nielsm posted:

What the gently caress is going on with those graphs

Can I bring this back up?

What the gently caress is this?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

dogstile posted:

Abstract expressionism.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

dogstile posted:

I dunno but they go totally goes against what I learnt in high school for math functions

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dogstile posted:

Toyota Supra dyno graphs

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Bob Morales posted:

Toyota Supra dyno graphs

1200 HP @ 100000 RPM because somebody put the tach on the turbine and not the crank

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Is there any good way to consolidate a 2TB primary OS drive into a 500GB SSD? I'm already banking on a fresh Windows install but just wondering if there might be a good method to transfer over programs from what is going to become the secondary drive. I'd imagine that copy and pasting the folder from one Program Files into another is going to cause all sorts of issues.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Is there any good way to consolidate a 2TB primary OS drive into a 500GB SSD? I'm already banking on a fresh Windows install but just wondering if there might be a good method to transfer over programs from what is going to become the secondary drive. I'd imagine that copy and pasting the folder from one Program Files into another is going to cause all sorts of issues.

Just fresh install it

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

There are some partition tools that can do it, and I did it myself a while back, but generally gotta agree with Malcom and say just fresh install it.

Once youve got your OS on the SSD, you can look over at the old drives program files and such and see what you actually want to reinstall, and copy pover any media you want on the SSD. You can also set Steam to look a the old drive's Steam folder, so you don't have to redownload anything (assuming u game bro)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Make enough space so your OS fits and use Acronis free version. Easy, it will shrink the partition to fit.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Cygni posted:

There are some partition tools that can do it, and I did it myself a while back, but generally gotta agree with Malcom and say just fresh install it.

Once youve got your OS on the SSD, you can look over at the old drives program files and such and see what you actually want to reinstall, and copy pover any media you want on the SSD. You can also set Steam to look a the old drive's Steam folder, so you don't have to redownload anything (assuming u game bro)

I already figured my games library would be good because Steam has all those options for multi-drive installations. Since I'm an old fart metaphorically speaking when it comes to this kind of stuff, I went and saved a Belarc Advisor report with all my installed programs and serials so I can check them off by hand as I install them fresh.

Plus, I guess that's the best way to divy up which programs are gonna go to the SSD and which can just be installed right back to the mechanical.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Quick question: I know 850 Evo's are a good reccommendation, but is there any reason why I wouldn't want an 860 if it was cheaper than an 850?

I ask because my computer is somewhat aging....H77 chipset with SATA 6gb support.

For that matter, does it even deal with M.2 drives?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jaxyon posted:

Quick question: I know 850 Evo's are a good reccommendation, but is there any reason why I wouldn't want an 860 if it was cheaper than an 850?

I ask because my computer is somewhat aging....H77 chipset with SATA 6gb support.

Your motherboard doesn't have a slot for M.2 drives so that's a thing to keep in mind. If the 860 evo is cheaper than the 850 evo there's really no reason not to get it? They're pretty much the same thing just the 860 Evo has more write endurance or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

The 860 won't really be any faster (SATA is becoming a bottleneck) but it will have better write endurance. I'd go with the newer drive.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
As the last of the 5x PNY XLR8 we bought in 2014 fails, taking data with it, I would put PNY to "avoid"-list.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think Cryorig just set the bar with regards to insane M.2 cooling, and yeah, I'm aware there's one with a waterblock:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^ lol what a useless piece of trash

I'm sure it will separate some fools from their money though

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Dual heatpipe... for your 70W M.2 drive? How much power is that port even allowed to provide?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No LEDs, what are they even thinking.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think Cryorig just set the bar with regards to insane M.2 cooling, and yeah, I'm aware there's one with a waterblock:

I had some DDR2-1066 from OCZ with tiny little heatpipes on it. It was stupid, I'm not sure if they were actually heatpipes or decoration.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The additional thermal inertia provided by the heat capacity of the foot of that cooler probably does more good than the additional radiator.

There are circumstances in enterprise where you do legitimately need a radiator and the airflow from system fans, but they're more "caching tier of storage array backing your HPC or professional video editors."

For a cooler to make any sense, you have to actually need the performance that lies beyond the 7-8 second window of max I/O before throttling that most naked m.2 drives seem to have.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Dual heatpipe... for your 70W M.2 drive? How much power is that port even allowed to provide?

I think 10W is the max, with most drives using about 5-6W in practice. Certainly not enough power to justify that... thing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So, I have a couple of recently retired 256GB 840 Pro drives with fairly low usage. How dumb would it be to run them on RAID0 so I could get a 512GB boot drive that's faster? Am I right in assuming that the big downside here is reduced reliability in the event a drive fails? I would plan on doing nightly backups to a spinning drive.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think you have it about right.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Is there some detailed database of SSDs that lists specs? I'm mainly looking for an easy way to determine if a given SSD has DRAM or not, and I usually have to search for that info on a drive-by-drive basis. Often reviews and product listings don't mention DRAM status or list the controller, even if it's a drive that does have DRAM; a good example is the HP S700 Pro which does have DRAM (as opposed to the non-Pro version) but as you can see HP's listing is lacking in details. I'm not looking for SSD recommendations, I'm just trying to find an easy way to determine DRAM status in particular when deals on cheap SSDs show up.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So, I have a couple of recently retired 256GB 840 Pro drives with fairly low usage. How dumb would it be to run them on RAID0 so I could get a 512GB boot drive that's faster? Am I right in assuming that the big downside here is reduced reliability in the event a drive fails? I would plan on doing nightly backups to a spinning drive.

If there ever was an ssd to do RAID0 I''d say the 840 or 850 pro would be the ones to go with. The endurance and reliability on those things is amazing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Atomizer posted:

Is there some detailed database of SSDs that lists specs? I'm mainly looking for an easy way to determine if a given SSD has DRAM or not, and I usually have to search for that info on a drive-by-drive basis. Often reviews and product listings don't mention DRAM status or list the controller, even if it's a drive that does have DRAM; a good example is the HP S700 Pro which does have DRAM (as opposed to the non-Pro version) but as you can see HP's listing is lacking in details. I'm not looking for SSD recommendations, I'm just trying to find an easy way to determine DRAM status in particular when deals on cheap SSDs show up.

You might try checking storagereview.com, either their articles or forums might have this info.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is there any way to migrate Windows 10 from a 1TB SSD to a 500GB M.2 SSD? I can't just do a clone because the current drive is larger. I also don't want to migrate everything, just the OS, a few apps, and some code.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Is there any way to migrate Windows 10 from a 1TB SSD to a 500GB M.2 SSD? I can't just do a clone because the current drive is larger. I also don't want to migrate everything, just the OS, a few apps, and some code.

If you clear enough space on the 1TB such that the total contents of the main partition on the drive are smaller, you can then image it while also shrinking the partition with something like Macrium Reflect Free. I don't think there's any way to selectively choose items to image or clone except manually like that. So your options are that or a fresh install and then reinstall programs on the smaller SSD.

I moved a laptop to from a 480GB SSD to a 128GB M.2 NVMe drive using the aforementioned method and it worked well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Silicon Motion targeting the 970 Pro with a drop-in replacement for their mainstream controller. Looks pretty impressive.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12928/smi-eyes-samsungs-performance-crown-with-sm2262en-controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

If it's just the OSD, a few apps, and some code then just do a clean image. A reimage does a computer good every now and again, it's comparable in time to a migration accounting for research and troubleshooting, and depending on your apps and code...

In any event if you want to migrate than just shrink the partition down to under 500gb and use clonezilla or acronis