Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

332 victims. they got off cheap. Also, this doesn't absolve the Karolyis, US Olympics team, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's an average of 1.5m per victim :stare: Good. Sorry about your tuition hikes, future Spartans.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The most recent number of Sandusky victims getting settlements I could find was "over 30". THREE HUNDRED THIRTY TWO?!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

The most recent number of Sandusky victims getting settlements I could find was "over 30". THREE HUNDRED THIRTY TWO?!

And there may still be more to come out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah it's a hell of a lot easier to sexually assault people when you're a medical doctor and thus touching your victims is assumed to be 'just part of the examination'. And also when you strategically arrange your office so that you can assault them without the parents knowing.

e: and when you're moving around the nation as opposed to just staying in Happy Vally, PA.

I feel gross even typing that :smith:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah it's a hell of a lot easier to sexually assault people when you're a medical doctor and thus touching your victims is assumed to be 'just part of the examination'. And also when you strategically arrange your office so that you can assault them without the parents knowing.

e: and when you're moving around the nation as opposed to just staying in Happy Vally, PA.

I feel gross even typing that :smith:

Also, when major institutions are referring patients to you, specifying penalties towards the patients if they see any other doctors.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/espn/status/996775202422915072

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And since it was reached so quickly one has to think that half a billion was on the low end of what the university could have been liable for in damages.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

So...$100,000 and $500,000 in/out of state tuition for the 2018-2019 school year?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sparty very likely has some manner of liability insurance at the school for legal settlements like these, so that's going to defray at least some costs. It'll also depend on how the settlements pay out, but yeah there's basically no way this doesn't raise tuition to some degree

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The institutions... will burn themselves down?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spartys insurance policy will likely only cover a small portion of the payouts so now the school has to get creative

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DJExile posted:

Sparty very likely has some manner of liability insurance at the school for legal settlements like these, so that's going to defray at least some costs. It'll also depend on how the settlements pay out, but yeah there's basically no way this doesn't raise tuition to some degree

Can't the insurance companies fight that? If I remember correctly, the insurer at Penn State had a legal battle with the school over paying out claims.

Edit: Beaten

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Depends on the policy and what it allows payment for. That can really vary

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Statement from the interim president to students (and staff?):

quote:

To the MSU campus community:

This has been an important week for our Michigan State community.

The damage done over a period of years by one evil doctor harmed hundreds of girls and young women, including 31 who were MSU students. The assaults by Larry Nassar shocked our campus and the nation. The testimony of so many survivors and their families touched the hearts of Spartan nation. Our university has apologized, expressed regret, and pledged to act so that such abuse could never happen again.

The changes made to assure patient safety on our campus are numerous and significant. (Read about them in the “Safer Campus” PDF.) However, we have known that for the healing process to really begin, it would require more than apologies and reforms in our clinics. For the survivors and their families and for the university to truly move forward, we would have to resolve the litigation that resulted from the Nassar crimes. We would need to achieve a fair and equitable outcome. I felt that a settlement among the parties would be the best answer, and that could only come through mediation. Since I arrived on campus, completing a prompt and successful mediation of the Nassar litigation has been a top priority for the university and for me.

That is why we were pleased yesterday to announce that attorneys representing 332 survivors in lawsuits against MSU and attorneys for the university reached an agreement in principle to a $500 million global settlement. The Board of Trustees agreed to the settlement in principle during a May 15 conference call.

You can read about details of the global settlement in the attorneys’ joint announcement and the statement from Board of Trustees Chairperson Brian Breslin.

You should be aware that all of MSU’s insurance carriers participated in the mediation and that we expect all of them to fulfill their contractual obligations. In addition, since a $500 million settlement is substantial, I will be working with the Board of Trustees in the days ahead to develop a strategy to carry out our responsibilities required by the settlement.

The early and successful conclusion of mediation will be beneficial to those who have suffered at the hands of Nassar, and their families, by avoiding years of litigation and allowing them to begin the recovery and healing they seek. It also allows MSU to continue making important change to prevent sexual misconduct and assaults on and off our campus while creating a safer and more respectful community for all who attend, work at, or visit MSU.

These changes include increased staffing for sexual assault prevention, reporting, and counseling offices, new awareness training for students and employees, and stronger oversight of campus youth programs. I’ve asked supervisors to be more diligent in recording concerns about employees’ behavior. We are taking steps to more fully engage the entire campus community in awareness and prevention activities and to improve communication across the board. We are putting special emphasis on our record class of new students coming to campus for orientation in preparation for freshman year in the fall.

A fuller description of our actions is detailed on the Our Commitment website, or in downloadable form in the “Safer Campus” working document. I encourage you to access them, and if you think anything has been overlooked, please send us your ideas for improving campus using the suggestion forms. We will continue to review policies and procedures over the summer and, in some cases, reporting and organizational responsibilities.

The settlement announcement is important for the healing process, not only for the survivors, but also for the university community. I want to thank all who have supported and worked so hard to get to this fair and equitable outcome for the survivors.

Like you, I deeply regret the injury done to so many girls and young women, and to their families, by a physician operating under the aegis of this university. For that, I, and every leader on this campus, apologize, but more important, we offer the comprehensive actions being taken as proof we are serious about changing MSU. I’m proud of how Spartans have been working together in support of these changes to foster a safer campus.

Finally, I want to personally thank the MSU community for its support, advice, and encouragement to me. My appointment generated controversy, but I accepted the challenge because I love MSU and know our best days are ahead. We will move forward through this difficult period, and I know we will emerge stronger.

Sincerely,
John Engler
Interim President

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

quote:

In addition, since a $500 million settlement is substantial, I will be working with the Board of Trustees in the days ahead to develop a strategy to carry out our responsibilities required by the settlement.

Yeah, either programs are getting cut or tuition is seeing a massive hike.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, either programs are getting cut or tuition is seeing a massive hike.

I could definitely see the former. The latter's gonna be tough because Michigan's laws are such that state funding to a school starts to recede if they raise tuition past a certain point.

This basically becomes a game of "beg, borrow, and steal". I'd imagine some of their deeper-pocketed alumni will put together a rather quiet foundation to help defray some of it. They can also ask state funding to help with the payments, likely with state oversight on how they're fixing their own rules and procedures to prevent this from happening again.

Basically there isn't gonna be one single source to all of it, nor could there really be even if they wanted. I'm sure more is going to come out in the coming days and weeks as the details of the settlement structure are hammered out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DJExile posted:

I could definitely see the former. The latter's gonna be tough because Michigan's laws are such that state funding to a school starts to recede if they raise tuition past a certain point.

This basically becomes a game of "beg, borrow, and steal". I'd imagine some of their deeper-pocketed alumni will put together a rather quiet foundation to help defray some of it. They can also ask state funding to help with the payments, likely with state oversight on how they're fixing their own rules and procedures to prevent this from happening again.

Basically there isn't gonna be one single source to all of it, nor could there really be even if they wanted. I'm sure more is going to come out in the coming days and weeks as the details of the settlement structure are hammered out.

It won't be quiet, it will be intentionally mislabeled as some charity to help victims of sexual abuse. Alumni and others will be donating to it thinking its to help with therapy and giving resources to vistims of sexual assault, except its going to go straight into the settlement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The alumni foundation is going to start the mother of all "MSU is in trouble, please help" fundraising campaigns.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

It won't be quiet, it will be intentionally mislabeled as some charity to help victims of sexual abuse. Alumni and others will be donating to it thinking its to help with therapy and giving resources to vistims of sexual assault, except its going to go straight into the settlement.

Timby posted:

The alumni foundation is going to start the mother of all "MSU is in trouble, please help" fundraising campaigns.

yeah, both of these are far more likely, now that I think about it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Timby posted:

Tom Izzo can't get out of the NCAA tournament's first weekend, and only your pledge can help him move on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

There will be some eye rolling hashtag too like #MSUcares

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
#MSUSTRONGONCRIME

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

There will be some eye rolling hashtag too like #MSUcares

Yeah as an alumnus I'm expecting some extremely tone-deaf poo poo like this to find its way into my inbox in the coming months.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:cripes:
https://twitter.com/dhmontgomery/status/997540598805618689

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DJExile posted:

Depends on the policy and what it allows payment for. That can really vary

Given that Michigan State more or less admitted to gross negligence I'm guessing that the vast, vast majority of that settlement isn't being paid by insurance.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grack posted:

Given that Michigan State more or less admitted to gross negligence I'm guessing that the vast, vast majority of that settlement isn't being paid by insurance.

Oh no it's not. MLive said at very most the policy will cover around $34 million.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What a bunch of disgusting human beings.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Niwrad posted:

What a bunch of disgusting human beings.

quote:

Engler: Maybe "leprechaun" will pay for MSU settlement
Updated: May 17, 2018 07:16 PM EDT

LANSING - The president of Michigan State University says he’ll get whatever help he can find to pay a $500 million dollar legal settlement with more than 300 women abused by a Spartan doctor.

The university announced on Wednesday it had reached a tentative settlement with the survivors of Dr. Larry Nassar. The former MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor abused patients for years under the guise of treatment.

That’s despite women who say they reported the abuse to university officials and a Title IX investigation into Nassar.

Now the question is where MSU will get the money to pay the settlement. Insurance companies will contribute some of the money, but the university appears to be on the hook for most of it.

Asked if he planned to raise tuition to make the payment, Engler replied “Actually, what we're hoping to do is find a leprechaun,” he joked. “No, I mean seriously, we have not made those decisions."

6 News was the only station to catch up with Engler, a former governor, at the Capitol on Thursday as he briefed lawmakers on the settlement.

http://www.wlns.com/news/engler-maybe-leprechaun-will-pay-for-msu-settlement/1185829421

Yeah.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

swickles posted:

Is that really mislabeling it? If donations go into the settlement, that's a direct conveyance of resources to victims of sexual assault.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Is John Engler the worst Interim College President in history?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

runoverbobby posted:

Is that really mislabeling it? If donations go into the settlement, that's a direct conveyance of resources to victims of sexual assault.

There is a difference between charity and a legally enforced payment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

When you're looking at having to pony up half a billion, I'm not sure what else you can say

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
They're probably going to end up killing or severely paring down departments. Usually, thanks to tenure, you can't just get rid of faculty, but there's usually a clause allowing it in the case of fiscal emergencies—so expect the administration to seize this chance to get rid of professors they don't like, especially ones who have regularly called them on their bullshit.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Engler is such a belligerently stupid rear end in a top hat.
https://twitter.com/brown_e_points/status/998577935543128064

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

elentar posted:

I hope Engler personally costs Michigan State $1 billion or more, just because he's a stupid rear end in a top hat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

elentar posted:

hoooooly hell :stare:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

What the gently caress is that last paragraph supposed to mean?!?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mdemone posted:

What the gently caress is that last paragraph supposed to mean?!?

He's basically trying to keep the blame focused on Nassar as opposed to Michigan State. It's the "nobody told us it was happening, what were we supposed to do?" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DJExile posted:

He's basically trying to keep the blame focused on Nassar as opposed to Michigan State. It's the "nobody told us it was happening, what were we supposed to do?" thing.

I guess so, but that phrasing really smelled like "nobody reported it from 1997 to 2016 but now we've got 332 complaints over the last two years, hmmm isn't that funny..."