Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I want to know more about the DNA Lock door handles on the secret labs and why totally random people like Bernard and Elsie have access. I guess in Bernard's case Ford rigged something so he could get a control unit, but Elsie being green-lit when she touches the door was odd since she was "the only person in the park without an agenda". If anyone can open the doors was there any reason for Hale to mention it.

Also how much time has passed since the start of the show? Guests are limited to a month, right? Since William and that Guest Couple are still there, has it only been 2-3 weeks from the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
William could probably stay as long as he wants.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Acacia REI posted:

This is what I've thought since that scene. Not only is Maeve the most woke, I think she may even be fully in control of her thoughts at this point. I don't know, maybe not. I want to believe that she is or soon will be, anyway, because it could potentially make her a wildcard in Ford's plan if she behaves differently than he thought she would.

There is no reason for any host to know what is "mainland" and they are in a giant island. That's why people assume "infiltrate mainland" was a given task. Also why would she use the word infiltrate anyway, did she take a Spying 101 selective or something.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Lab grown meat is something we can already do sort of. The picante is definitely from NEW YORK CITY.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Lab grown meat is something we can already do sort of. The picante is definitely from NEW YORK CITY.

Get a rope.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I think the whole free will thing hasn’t happened yet and whatever ford has planned to kickstart it involves wyat and William to keep down there current path. I’m not sure if Maeve is part of the plan or not yet.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The park logistic detail that always bugged me is how they actually keep the family-friendly stuff separate from the "do as thou wilt" stuff given that people can just randomly execute hosts in a semi-public building in the starter town. Yeah, OK, families on vacation likely wouldn't be going into the Mariposa but they probably don't want their kids hearing gunshots within 100 yards of the train stop.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

The park logistic detail that always bugged me is how they actually keep the family-friendly stuff separate from the "do as thou wilt" stuff given that people can just randomly execute hosts in a semi-public building in the starter town. Yeah, OK, families on vacation likely wouldn't be going into the Mariposa but they probably don't want their kids hearing gunshots within 100 yards of the train stop.

The whorehouse is also right by the train stop.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The second time we see Delos in the last episode he's dancing to a tune called "Do The Strand" by the band Roxy Music. The B-Side to that single is a song called "Editions of You." Whoever is picking the music for this show is on the loving ball.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The whorehouse is also right by the train stop.

This just makes the idea of any visit to Westworld being anything less than PG-13 way more complicated and unlikely. They'd need a separate park or something.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It's a different version of parents taking their kids to an R-rated movie.

But they've established that the homesteading area is the kid-friendly place. There might even be a separate entrance.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Or there’s a stop before that to a tamer area.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

But they've established that the homesteading area is the kid-friendly place. There might even be a separate entrance.

Well, then the MIB shows up and slaughters all the hosts on a lark. Guess mission control can divert all the guests before he shows up?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

or the upper classes in westworld have some hosed up ideas about parenting.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

GunnerJ posted:

Well, then the MIB shows up and slaughters all the hosts on a lark. Guess mission control can divert all the guests before he shows up?

one of the most delicate parts of the job at control was keeping everyone's narratives separate when the MiB went on griefing streaks in the newbie zone

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

They would probably have a strict NDA as part of the ticket to avoid people being able to read detailed guides about finding places and quests with the penalty being a park ban. I’d imagine if you could afford to go there getting banned would be a big deterrent after experiencing it firsthand.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love the chintzy gaming metaphor of the dad who's super obsessed with / has explored every inch of the original but by now hokey old park, versus the daughter who's gone out and explored all the new content while after she outgrew her dad's obsession playground

her appearing all cleaned up, with fresh clothes and full saddlebags on a new horse, after all those carefully placed close-ups of her bedraggled in captivity, was great

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The train station with the whorehouse is for european parents, the slaughterhouse is for american parents..

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

zeal posted:

her appearing all cleaned up, with fresh clothes and full saddlebags on a new horse, after all those carefully placed close-ups of her bedraggled in captivity, was great

7 timelines.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

whatever7 posted:

The train station with the whorehouse is for european parents, the slaughterhouse is for american parents..
Pariah is the European starting zone.

Creativeforce56
May 26, 2016
So the Indian tribe is the emergency human protection squad right? That's why they wanted to get the narrative designer from Maeve and just take stray guests to safe quadrants? Also 'the first one' is the bot who pitched the park to Devos Jr right? Was he really the first bot? I thought Dolores was first.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dolores was first and Bill-from-cold-storage second, according to testimonies from Ford and Stubbs.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Did they call him "the first" or "the first of us"? He could just be the first of the native hosts.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
It's just nice to see Mathias get some good work after Longmire :shobon:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Creativeforce56 posted:

So the Indian tribe is the emergency human protection squad right? That's why they wanted to get the narrative designer from Maeve and just take stray guests to safe quadrants? Also 'the first one' is the bot who pitched the park to Devos Jr right? Was he really the first bot? I thought Dolores was first.
I thought first in this case meant "First woke Ghost Nation member". We're told guests don't interact with them much, so it might have taken them a while, but any of them becoming woke would have an easier time flying under the radar because their religion is essentially true, so they wouldn't get flagged as acting weird, and guests would just assume any weirdness was just native mumbo jumbo/wisdom/fourth wall breaking easter eggs.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i wonder if the ghost nation is used kind of like random encounters with the other hosts. if there are hosts not getting used ford could have had the ghost nation programmed to go kill them in some horrible way to help the evolutionary process.

unless maeve was with a guest living in a cabin with a daughter, why would the ghosts attack her? i just imagine ford having background interactions just to up the level of terror a few percentage points way down the line.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Sweetwater is mostly a safe place, but every Friday it gets heated when the local gang tries to pull a heist.

Maybe the homesteading area gets attacked by the ghost nation every once in a while too. Maybe they are normally super easy to kill for teens to have a cowboy vs. indian encounter without having to go into the adult areas.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ptkfvk posted:

unless maeve was with a guest living in a cabin with a daughter, why would the ghosts attack her? i just imagine ford having background interactions just to up the level of terror a few percentage points way down the line.

The host's stories continue to play out even when the guests aren't present (e.g. Delores' dad always gets killed unless a guest chooses to intervene).

Before Maeve was the Sweetwater Madam, her loop had her play a homesteader who eventually died at the hands of Ghost Nation raiders (back in Season 1 we see versions of this encounter play out with and without William present).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The ghost nation was clearly bringing the gift of consciousness to the other hosts through the liberal use of scalping.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

whatever7 posted:

Yes, I would like to lodge a complaint. I took my 6 year old son, Jeremy, to the slaughterhouse so we could see how the meat is made. Due to the lax standards and low morals of your horrific park, my son saw a cow's penis. I am appalled at this satanic park you run here. In compensation, I would like another day for me and my son so we can do the "murder natives" narrative. And they better be clothed!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Come to think of it, before the safeguards were lifted the natives were a lot more dangerous to guests than any cowboy, since their weapons could actually hurt people, unlike the guns

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I wonder if the Woke Nation is a tool created by Ford/Arnold to create the necessary suffering for wokeness in the other hosts? Maeve was certainly affected quite strongly. I forget if Dolores had any run-Ins with them that were traumatizing? Other than the general fear all the hosts have of them.

Or they could be a fail safe to protect humies if the ride breaks. Maybe they’re just out in the hinterlands capturing wayward guests and returning them to a spawn point? Like when Logan gets set adrift. They find his naked rear end on a horse, give him a loincloth and a spear, pat him on the rear end, and turn him loose near Sweetwater or whatever saying “Better luck this time”.

I don’t think the file in Abernathy is a person’s brain download like Delos, too obvious. I don’t think it came from one of the secret lab areas or their activities, because that seems to be Delos poo poo that’s not the same programming as Ford’s work. Delos is trying to sneak it out, so it’s probably not their own work. I think it’s maybe Ford’s source code or research and maybe some of Arnold’s poo poo and possibly the trick to making the human Xeroxes not poo poo the bed. And maybe a bunch of history on them succeeding where William failed, it seems like it was trivial for Ford to set the difficulty to Nightmare so who is to say he hasn’t been experimenting and sending his fun copies out to do weird poo poo. For example, Teresa was a human, and he had Bernard murder her. Maybe she was his copy? He he replaced her with a copy on the mainland?

The red ball seems to be intended to represent a human xerox, it’s weird to worry about contamination in the field and poo poo but then Bernard just pockets it with no case. I doubt it’s Ford, although I think it may turn out he’s in the cloud, loving with William. William’s brain is my best guess, and one of the hosts is his copy, likely Teddy. But maybe Ford’s trick to them not breaking a la Delos is the memories and personality of the human are in there, but there’s no direct access. More like it sets the personality sliders on regular hosts, but perhaps much more lifelike? Would explain why Teddy is good guy (young William copy) and then real William turned into a dick over the years.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Big Taint posted:

The red ball seems to be intended to represent a human xerox, it’s weird to worry about contamination in the field and poo poo but then Bernard just pockets it with no case. I doubt it’s Ford, although I think it may turn out he’s in the cloud, loving with William. William’s brain is my best guess, and one of the hosts is his copy, likely Teddy.
Please attribute this theory to the original genius behind it; me.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
New theory: Maeve is a successful version of what they were trying to do with James Delos. Her memories of her child are from when she was an actual visitor to the park. Give me a couple of days to cherry pick supporting evidence while ignoring contradicting bits.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Big Taint posted:

The red ball seems to be intended to represent a human xerox, it’s weird to worry about contamination in the field and poo poo but then Bernard just pockets it with no case.

The tech could simply have been worrying about his own health, giving that we know diseases can incubate in host meat and he was about to perform surgery on one without any medical precautions.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Come to think of it, before the safeguards were lifted the natives were a lot more dangerous to guests than any cowboy, since their weapons could actually hurt people, unlike the guns

They were probably limited to melee only with guests.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The tech could simply have been worrying about his own health, giving that we know diseases can incubate in host meat and he was about to perform surgery on one without any medical precautions.

that or he's a stickler for rules and not used to an environment without the best and greatest gear at hand.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

As others have said I think the red ball is William as he was before the game got real. An unrepentant rear end in a top hat who delighted in mowing down hosts. After going through this narrative that Ford has cooked up he will have to face his old self.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Gangringo posted:

As others have said I think the red ball is William as he was before the game got real. An unrepentant rear end in a top hat who delighted in mowing down hosts. After going through this narrative that Ford has cooked up he will have to face his old self.

*Extremely Lebowski voice*

That's interesting man, that's loving interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*Extremely Lebowski voice*

That's interesting man, that's loving interesting

This is a very complicated show, Intel&Sebastian. Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what have you’s