Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Despite seemingly positive economic signs, the ALICE data shows that financial hardship is still a pervasive problem," said Stephanie Hoopes, the project's director.

Many of these folks are the nation's child care workers, home health aides, office assistants and store clerks, who work low-paying jobs and have little savings, the study noted. Some 66% of jobs in the US pay less than $20 an hour.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/economy/us-middle-class-basics-study/index.html

I guess its not really news. But for whatever reason this really bothers me. One of the richest nations on earth and people struggle to pay rent while working themselves to the bone. I sent my kids to a daycare center where women are busting their humps for peanuts while I sit and get paid for my computer jockey gig. And people want to argue about wars and poo poo when we aren't doing a good job taking care of each other here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

America is great, because America is good

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

This never would have happened if those jobs that pay less than 20$ an hour had guns.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Jobs, JOBS, JOBS!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

This never would have happened if those jobs that pay less than 20$ an hour had guns.

They can't afford guns.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
eat the goddamn rich

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Everyone is employed.... at 10 bucks an hour for 30 hours max a week

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I’m glad of it

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
death to America for reals

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
USA :patriot:

USA :911:

USA :2bong:

USA :dukedoge:

USA :tif:

USA :capitalism:

USA :chaostrump:

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For real though I don't want death to America, I want to see Americans start taking care of each other. I swear to God I've seen it happen before!

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
lol when u see this graph

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

For real though I don't want death to America, I want to see Americans start taking care of each other. I swear to God I've seen it happen before!

drat you must be old as poo poo

america sucks now, everyone's just trying to get rich. its all we know

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
It's like if you give megacorps infinite resources and allow them to use money as speech in government so they can fund race to the bottom policy while demonizing workers and spitting on unions bad stuff happens to actual human people who arent corporate entitities.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sounds to me like there bootstraps aren't big enough.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RaySmuckles posted:

drat you must be old as poo poo

america sucks now, everyone's just trying to get rich. its all we know

30 but I grew up in a conservative city

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bag em and tag em posted:

It's like if you give megacorps infinite resources and allow them to use money as speech in government so they can fund race to the bottom policy while demonizing workers and spitting on unions bad stuff happens to actual human people who arent corporate entitities.

I can't imagine the echo chamber of self-hatred you have to live in to be a lobbyist or a spineless politician or a corporate exec for a company that you know hires people that still need food stamps as they work for you

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bag em and tag em posted:

Even better, allow them to except themselves from tax law by declaring their "primary" place of business as a small factory in a known tax haven.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

really queer Christmas posted:

America is great, because America is good

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

maybe they should stop bankrupting themselves for avacados🤣 and buy off-brand tide pods instead😂
it's not capitalisms fault they are too lazy to get a better job 😂

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Weird, why don't they just get a $400 million investment and start a successful multinational business? :confused:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't see why they can't inherit a few hundred million dollars, goodness gracious what plebes :monocle:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

maybe they should stop bankrupting themselves for avacados🤣 and buy off-brand tide pods instead😂
it's not capitalisms fault they are too lazy to get a better job 😂

The literal lines of 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 are easily the most annoying part of reading anything on Twitter.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
why dint they just sleep on their friends couch and rent out their parents condo??????

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jimmyjams posted:

lol when u see this graph

Wow wtf happened late 1960s early 70s

:thunk:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

1redflag posted:

The literal lines of 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 are easily the most annoying part of reading anything on Twitter.

thats the point, idiot

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs

Split Pea Superman posted:

Wow wtf happened late 1960s early 70s

:thunk:

nah that aint it you retard

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

People in the US don't know what real poverty is!

I guess children going to bed hungry doesn't count.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Throughout most of human history these people would have just died off via natural selection. Now they get to not only live, but enjoy steam sales and legal weed. A little more gratitude would be nice sometimes.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Mitt Romney suggested people get a small few hundred thousand dollar loan from their parents and leverage those resources into a profitable enterprise. This isn’t rocket science! :smuggo:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
its more like capitalists have busted unions and repressed wages for decades and now almost all workers are basically making a third of what they should really be being paid

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

...and the pitch! posted:

the UN said my state is like a third world country :saddowns:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jimmyjams posted:

its more like capitalists have busted unions and repressed wages for decades and now almost all workers are basically making a third of what they should really be being paid

Tell me more about how you bust unions and repress wages.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Careful Drums posted:

Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food

If half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food, then where are they living and what are they eating? And why are we all so fat?

Either the U.S. has turned into some sort of apocalyptic dystopia without me noticing, or there's some serious exaggerating going on here.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
The only real skill you need in a capitalist society is the ability to eat your bosses rear end and climb that ladder up to middle management. Eat rear end.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

jimmyjams posted:

nah that aint it you retard

yep, it was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU20t964wCc

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

...and the pitch! posted:

High sugar diets tend to stimulate hunger.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Sunshine posted:

If half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food, then where are they living and what are they eating? And why are we all so fat?

Either the U.S. has turned into some sort of apocalyptic dystopia without me noticing, or there's some serious exaggerating going on here.

welfare programs?

i mean it's cool that you personally haven't run in to it but even years ago when riding the bus kids were living in houses that looked like they were about to collapse

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

welfare programs?

america needs guillotines

welfare program

america needs guillotines

welfare program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015