Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

exquisite tea posted:

About 75% done with the story. Now would probably be the ideal time to do all the side content since everything is now accessible.

Oh wow, that's more than I expected. Time for side missions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's way better, thanks

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Neat thing I noticed on replay: Kratos explains port and starboard to Atreus as they're rowing around the lake, then later on, when you're on the ship in Helheim, Atreus will call out which side the enemies are showing up on, putting to use the lessons he learned from Dad.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/996809899391664128

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I had no idea that a dodge maintains your combo string.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

acksplode posted:

I had no idea that a dodge maintains your combo string.

holy poo poo!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The combat designer guy even calls it "dodge offset" in that writeup. I love that they're students of Platinum.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Dodge maintains it, roll does not

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm what are the iframes like on the dodge

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone have a video or gif of Kratos nearly losing his poo poo at Atreus early on?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
What rune attack is your boy using? Mine is using the crows, and they own so hard. They stun a ton of enemies for a long time.
I just found a squirrel that digs up a consumable item or something? And I'm wondering why you'd ever use that :confused:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

shut up blegum posted:

What rune attack is your boy using? Mine is using the crows, and they own so hard. They stun a ton of enemies for a long time.
I just found a squirrel that digs up a consumable item or something? And I'm wondering why you'd ever use that :confused:

He can basically give you an entire bar of rage if you activate him with shock arrows equipped. Pretty useful really since you regen in rage and also poo poo damage harder than the crows.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

JBP posted:

He can basically give you an entire bar of rage if you activate him with shock arrows equipped. Pretty useful really since you regen in rage and also poo poo damage harder than the crows.

:aaaaa: didn't think about that. Time to bring a squirrel to the battlefield I guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

shut up blegum posted:

:aaaaa: didn't think about that. Time to bring a squirrel to the battlefield I guess.

It's on a super long cooldown, but in a tough fight being able to rage twice is very nice. Just be careful trying to dodge through traffic to get the pick ups lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The squirrel is really good for that 100 enemy arena challenge where you have no other form of passive regen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

honestly squirrel or gtfo

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

honestly squirrel or gtfo

exquisite tea posted:

The squirrel is really good for that 100 enemy arena challenge where you have no other form of passive regen.

Guess who had to beat this challenge before he found that fking squirrel

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
maybe you should learn to not get hit, fuckos

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phobophilia posted:

maybe you should learn to not get hit, fuckos

2x Spartan rage HP regen is just a bonus. You can also punch the cripes out of nerds for free and have tours cooldowns back after most likely.

E: I prefer boar rush because it's fuckin piggy time at the ranch cowboy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wow, these tips show that even before you get any upgrades there's a lot more to the combat than the game really tells you about. I found the dodge offset by accident and I've used it a ton ever since.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JBP posted:

2x Spartan rage HP regen is just a bonus. You can also punch the cripes out of nerds for free and have tours cooldowns back after most likely.

E: I prefer boar rush because it's fuckin piggy time at the ranch cowboy.

Boar Charge is so good. Lightning boars with a couple Boy arrows are usually enough to trap a valkyrie in a full duration frost giant frenzy.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Whatever that two handed overhead nuclear slam with the blades of chaos is the best ability for me. You end up jumping over a lot of attacks with it.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 17, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Whatever that two handed overhead nuclear slam with the blades of chaos is the best ability for me. You end up jumping over a lot of attacks with it.

With the loving WHAAAAAT!?

said a goon who just bought this game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I wonder just how long that spoiler would last. When the sequel starts to roll around there's no way it doesn't factor into the marketing heavily.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SettingSun posted:

I wonder just how long that spoiler would last. When the sequel starts to roll around there's no way it doesn't factor into the marketing heavily.

Yeah sure but I think for at least four months out from launch its worth letting people discover

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Should I spoiler it out? It was all over the internet. I saw it in reviews.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I haven't seen anything like that but I read reviews on launch week so idk

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

JBP posted:

I haven't seen anything like that but I read reviews on launch week so idk

Well now you just have the best thing in the world to look forward to. It comes way too late in the game IMO. Rather than being spoiled, just imagine it's Christmas Eve and you know you've got a present to look forward to.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm really not sure what else kratos could have done here

Just rip his arms off and cauterize the wounds with the blades of chaos?

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

exquisite tea posted:

there's a thing you can put on or in the axe that gives a decent chance to heal on kill and it makes the arena trivial

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The squirrel is almost game breaking since you can just heal up between fights, tbh

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

shut up blegum posted:

I use the wolves by default, and either boars or crows for valks. Crows have a very long cooldown, so I'm usually a bit hesitant to use them. Wolves have decent cooldown, are great at locking down crowds, and do decent damage.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Where is the squirrel?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Where is the squirrel?

I think it's a treasure cache on something storeroom island in the main lake after the water lowers the second time

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Where is the squirrel?

Top of the Light Elf Outpost in Lake of the Nine.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Woah gently caress that boss after all the arena challenges. Probably the hardest thing I've done in a game. I was only level 5 though so thats probably my fault.

lol at getting an upgrade for the blades of chaos I didn't know it was in the game yet.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Woah gently caress that boss after all the arena challenges. Probably the hardest thing I've done in a game. I was only level 5 though so thats probably my fault.

lol at getting an upgrade for the blades of chaos I didn't know it was in the game yet.

lmao

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I'm pretty sure the description for the Raging Inferno doesn't betray its purpose and you don't even get the option to turn it in until the post game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

That last part definitely isn't true because I did 100% of the side stuff before the end of the game including upgrading my weps all the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I didn't finish that quest until post game myself so I guess my info is flawed. I'm replaying the game so this warrants some testing.