Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'd say I used to fill out the list, but these days I just overwrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm more of an overwriter OP, though I often keep 2-3 saves and cycle through overwriting them, like I'll make a save before entering a dungeon, save separately within the dungeon and then overwrite the original save when I clear it.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
overwrite with 1 or 2 backups. saved my rear end in persona 4 once when a power outage hit my ps2 midsave.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

for real old crpgs like gold box or wizardry or ultima or old adventure games i'd make a bunch of saves with the date and maybe location in the dungeon becasue it was sometimes possible to go deep enuff into a dungeon but not be able to get out or have an unwinnable state so it was nice ot have an earlier save. but nowadays games are too easy so just overwrite, except the crash bandicoot remaster on ps4 and switch [seriously harder than dark souls d00ds]

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

for real old crpgs like gold box or wizardry or ultima or old adventure games i'd make a bunch of saves with the date and maybe location in the dungeon becasue it was sometimes possible to go deep enuff into a dungeon but not be able to get out or have an unwinnable state so it was nice ot have an earlier save. but nowadays games are too easy so just overwrite, except the crash bandicoot remaster on ps4 and switch [seriously harder than dark souls d00ds]

Win.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I always overwrite which has definitely bit me in the rear end in the past but I like to live dangerously.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Two save files, alternating. An old habit from back in the three-save-slot days.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I always overwrite which has definitely bit me in the rear end in the past but I like to live dangerously.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Two slots, one main save and one “I want to see what happens if I do this” save

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I main slot 3.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm watching someone play Quake 2 and she filled out the list and then started maining the last slot... Interesting technique...

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
slot 1 is for story progress slot 2 is for in dungeon slot 3 is wildcard

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I overwrite but start a new save slot every couple hours of game time just in case something gets corrupted or I hit an impossible wall

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'll create an infinite amount of saves, if the game will let me

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I prefer a single save but if the game defaults to a new file every time I'll use multiple cos it's easier/faster, and I'll make backups if I think a point of no return is about to hit

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

After unwittingly deleting all of my PS1 saves for other games because of how Final Fantasy VII's saving worked, I've been a lifelong overwriter and only in the past year have cautiously dipped my toes into alternating overwrites between two slots

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
overwrite. life is for the living

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
tfw you find the 700mb of Fallout 3 autosaves taking up precious space on your tiny xbox360 HDD.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Squeezy Farm posted:

tfw you find the 700mb of Fallout 3 autosaves taking up precious space on your tiny xbox360 HDD.

same but FF13 on ps3. I remember having to clear out saves to make room a lot because almost every ps3 save took several seconds and defaulted to a new file

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
my style has always been fill the list and all the names are "asdfl;jgn;'oigjo" and "fartfrtfartfart"

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The epic quake speed runner file name convention of wwwdada ddddwad dddads.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Two slots, alternately overwriting each one. I used to use just one that I’d repeatedly overwrite but then a corrupted save lost me like 6 hours of progress once.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

now that autosaves are a thing I mostly just overwrite

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HolePisser1982 posted:

my style has always been fill the list and all the names are "asdfl;jgn;'oigjo" and "fartfrtfartfart"

whenever i play something that requires you to name them, i usually start with good intentions, and then end with completely oblique poo poo like "Int 1 no pot"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

overwrite but if i feel like some major story choice is about to happen ill make a backup

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
One million saves named fhdksehfnxosj1 or 2 lol. Impossible to keep track or what happened where

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
the extreme joy in feeding the bratty part of your brain and just creating a big mess, raking your fingers across the keyboard or slapping it, lol

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

HolePisser1982 posted:

the extreme joy in feeding the bratty part of your brain and just creating a big mess, raking your fingers across the keyboard or slapping it, lol

Lmfao

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Depends on the game and my mood

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Overwrite unless the game is prone to save bugs.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Almost all of mine are "new7" or "test3" or whatever and if I start a new run it goes immediately to "test4"

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Overwrite so there's one continuous reality to my playthrough.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the overwriter is being introduced as the next marvel super villain

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

whenever i have to name a save i just call it k

ive been doing that as long as i can remember

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Im a habitual quicksaver and I prefer games that let me set my own quicksave slot so i can switch it around

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TFW you forgot to make a second save slot on Riovanes castle...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m a one or two backup gamer. However when I played final fantasy 7 for the first time I didn’t have a memory card and I tried beating it without saving. The furthest I got was Rocket Town.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
one save file for me op

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’m a one or two backup gamer. However when I played final fantasy 7 for the first time I didn’t have a memory card and I tried beating it without saving. The furthest I got was Rocket Town.

I played Driver 2 without a memory card on Ps2 for 4 years because I didn’t ever have a PS1 and I wasn’t allowed to play GTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Buying a Gamecube without a memory card and trying to beat Luigi's Mansion in one go but dying to Bowser ftl

• Locked thread