Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

I'm torn between Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors..if I end up enjoying the basic gameplay loop of HW then I think it's the clear champion..but what if I hate it? Obviously I buy my games digitally because no impulse control so I'll be stuck with what I'll be stuck.

Could always buy the physical version and if you hate it, trade it in to Gamestop and use the credit towards Tropical Freeze. You'll lose a little bit of money that way but not as much if you buy it digitally and dislike it.

...wish I'd used that strategy with a few 3DS games (stares directly at the Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam icon permanently stuck on his 3DS' homescreen).

[Edit: Also I bought Paper Jam AFTER I bought and hated Dream Team, so I'm a double idiot really. Fricking Dream Team is the only game I've ever hateplayed through to the end out of pure spite.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

sweet, can finally trade in my book version.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

KingSlime posted:

But enough about Pokemon

I haven't treated myself to a full proper release in a while and am craving a treat for the weekend to celebrate my new job (I start a tech writer role with a big company in 2 weeks!!)

I'm torn between Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors..if I end up enjoying the basic gameplay loop of HW then I think it's the clear champion..but what if I hate it? Obviously I buy my games digitally because no impulse control so I'll be stuck with what I get. I haven't ever really played a warriors game and hate repetitive gameplay. That is unless it has a satisfying reward loop and is decently entertaining on its own

On the other hand TF seems like a safer, if potentially less exciting choice. I like platformers and all but have never been huge into DK

If you consider two ports a full proper release ... Wahaha!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's ok I'm not new to the Nintendo, I'm used to the hurt

Funnily enough the other major release I'm looking forward to is...a port of dark souls, a seven year old game

Switch ownz my homeward bonez

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KingSlime posted:

But enough about Pokemon

I haven't treated myself to a full proper release in a while and am craving a treat for the weekend to celebrate my new job (I start a tech writer role with a big company in 2 weeks!!)

I'm torn between Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors..if I end up enjoying the basic gameplay loop of HW then I think it's the clear champion..but what if I hate it? Obviously I buy my games digitally because no impulse control so I'll be stuck with what I get. I haven't ever really played a warriors game and hate repetitive gameplay. That is unless it has a satisfying reward loop and is decently entertaining on its own

On the other hand TF seems like a safer, if potentially less exciting choice. I like platformers and all but have never been huge into DK

There's a trick to buying games when you're on the fence, and it's drinking a whole bunch beforehand.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Code of Princess looks pretty cool. It has fighting skeletons in a graveyard, so I'm happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5OBungK6UY

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There's a trick to buying games when you're on the fence, and it's drinking a whole bunch beforehand.

That's how I got stuck with an icon of XB2 on my homescreen :sigh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wanna get Hyrule Warriors but that feels like a time pit game and I have so many other time pit games to play already.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Fetus posted:

Pirate's Curse is good. The rest are either mediocre to bad.

Yeah the switch to a mega man style level design in 1/2gh detracts from the game for me and rr is too primative feeling these days

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

KingSlime posted:

It's ok I'm not new to the Nintendo, I'm used to the hurt

Funnily enough the other major release I'm looking forward to is...a port of dark souls, a seven year old game

Switch ownz my homeward bonez

me too and i dont even like hyrule warriors and have no interest in dankey kong so your life is measurably richer than mine

e: and they delayed it...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

I wanna get Hyrule Warriors but that feels like a time pit game and I have so many other time pit games to play already.

Its a "do exactly the same thing for as long as you can stand to play it" game. So dont feel bad

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Its a "do exactly the same thing for as long as you can stand to play it" game. So dont feel bad

Yikes maybe I should roll the dice on TF then

I wish I had more exciting options available right this moment!!! Meh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

at least I have hollow knight to tide me over after the darksouls delay

*screams into pillow*

fake edit: *actually just goes to play my third yakuza game in a row, hell yeah*

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm getting Hyrule Warriors more as a play in the mood game not as a fresh grind.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HW may be repetitive, but it's motivated by a very fun gear/character grinding system. Also fairies but that part's lame.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Yikes maybe I should roll the dice on TF then

I wish I had more exciting options available right this moment!!! Meh

I personally didnt like tf either but do what you do my friend

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
If you've already played Hyrule Warriors to death on 3DS & WiiU and you need that musou fix...

Might I suggest One Piece Pirate Warriors 3? Its super dope. Also, only 40$.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

HW may be repetitive, but it's motivated by a very fun gear/character grinding system. Also fairies but that part's lame.

Also a lot of the weapons are just a joy to play. Especially the Ball and Chain, the Wind Waker, Pegasus Boots, and Wizzro's bullethell madness :allears:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hyrule Warriors is really fun once you start thinking of it as a puzzle game where you're trying to figure out the strategy that will get you through in time to make an A-rank.

(Although I really hope Hyrule Warriors 2 does away with the no-damage requirement to get A-rank, because it limits your playstyle.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I thought the switch version is more lenient on damage

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rand Brittain posted:

Hyrule Warriors is really fun once you start thinking of it as a puzzle game where you're trying to figure out the strategy that will get you through in time to make an A-rank.

(Although I really hope Hyrule Warriors 2 does away with the no-damage requirement to get A-rank, because it limits your playstyle.)

Hyrule Warriors Switch does the damage formula they use in Fire Emblem Warriors which is basically worth the cost by itself imo.

Also A rank let you take up to 4 hearts of damage. Which was just comically tiny in the original

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I personally didnt like tf either but do what you do my friend

Fine I'll just save my money instead like some sort of animal!

Nah I have a wishlist I can tap into if neither game pulls me by Friday..or I could get around to finally trying out nier automata on pc

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

This is actually my problem with it :negative: I'm super duper bad at strategy. The game has so many things yelling at you at once and my lizard brain just shuts down. How am I supposed to defend all of these forts, keep all of these idiots alive, defeat baddies and probably 8 other things all at once? :negative:

I'm so aggressively bad at the games that I can't chill out and play them, which is all I want to do. Like an enormous idiot I bought it for both the Wii U and the 3ds and part of me wants to give it a third attempt on the Switch...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Spreaking of Warriors games, the controls in One Piece Pirate Warriors is kinda frustrating to me after coming from Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors. As it is, it's definitely enjoyable, but I would peg it as worse than the Nintendo franchise Warriors games.

(I do like that the final boss from the game's side mode is playable from the beginning in this version though, having someone I can use as a "gently caress this" button from the start helps with the grinding.)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked HW but never bought any DLC or Legends so I'll prob pick up definitive at some point.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Spreaking of Warriors games, the controls in One Piece Pirate Warriors is kinda frustrating to me after coming from Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors. As it is, it's definitely enjoyable, but I would peg it as worse than the Nintendo franchise Warriors games.

(I do like that the final boss from the game's side mode is playable from the beginning in this version though, having someone I can use as a "gently caress this" button from the start helps with the grinding.)

yeah something about the joint attack system and controls always threw me too. that and the plot being completely incomprehensible and annoying not knowing the anime at all

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Zore posted:

Second, easily.

What would you put above it besides Morrowind? Oblivion was 'Skyrim but worse' and most of the earlier games are just incredibly janky in bad ways and very hard to go back to

And the MMO is a loving MMO and lol if you would put it anywhere but last
Skyrim's quests all seem like they need you to go to a dungeon while Oblivion felt a little bit more dynamic in that regards. Also the guild quest lines in Oblivion were better.

Also from what I played of it last year the Elder Scrolls MMO is actually very good and can be played as a single player experience. It's writing is better than anything post Morrowind and the always persistent world makes stuff like stealing items or pissing off guards feel waaaaaaaaay heavier. The only downside is that it lacks the physics engine.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 17, 2018

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
dp

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I hope there's an evil team of eight you have to go up against.

Trevor
Riolde
Annabelle
Veneleth
Ellinus
Levine
Enzo
Regina

Well, the established antagonist for Olberic's path seems to be a guy named Erhardt, so there's a chance....

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So now that I've beaten two of the Bsides in celeste, grabbing the strawberries is laughably easy. It's crazy how much this game trains you.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Saw some sales figures for DKCTF in Japan on Twitter and I think this might be related to Nintendo's choice to charge full price for it:

https://twitter.com/GameDataLibrary/status/996963704964112384

The Switch userbase really is a lot bigger than the Wii U's was so it makes sense that they'd do this with ports since those games are effectively new to anyone who doesn't have a Wii U.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Them dev motherfuckers better start porting some of the other Wii U only games ASAP.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Them dev motherfuckers better start porting some of the other Wii U only games ASAP.

We're down to not a ton of great ones.

I know I want Xenoblade Chronicles X, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World and.... that's about it. They already ported/sequel all the other games I loved (Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Smash???, Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta and Lego City undercover_

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You might just get XCX out of all those!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want the FE mashup. That's it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

But enough about Pokemon

Tropical Freeze is a much better game. Get Hyrule Warriors later.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
They will probably sell Mario Maker with a stylus for about $45.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zore posted:

We're down to not a ton of great ones.

I know I want Xenoblade Chronicles X, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World and.... that's about it. They already ported/sequel all the other games I loved (Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Smash???, Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta and Lego City undercover_

Gimme NSMBU too. (Preferably a new super Mario all Stars but lol they'll never give us more than one game again). Mario Maker I want a sequel. And to those who say you couldn't do it cause you'd have to switch between docked and touchscreen... Just use buttons. Buttons are fine. It's a grid.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mario Maker Switch, but it requires a companion smartphone app to create the levels.

....ok that started as a joke but I bet people would LOVE to create levels on the go on their phone. Testing on the phone would be a pain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Policenaut posted:

You might just get XCX out of all those!

maybe they'll release it as a finished game this time

• Locked thread