Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Well that is a disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does this movie treat the Millennium Falcon as a spiritual event for nerds in their mid-40s?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
loving kill the millenium falcon

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Wait wait Darth Maul is in this movie?

Does that mean Disney are actually acknowledging the prequels exist???

Wait so how much loving older is Han Solo than Luke if Darth Maul is around in this movie???

How can Han not believe in the force if he's old enough to live in a world with a loving jedi council and Darth Maul???

VVV: Yeah he says that in a hushed voice and very quickly moves on so the audience doesn't spend too much time remembering the prequels

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 17, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Calico Heart posted:

In TLJ Luke talked about Darth Sidious and how the Jedi of the prequel era failed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
disney seems like they're acknowledging the prequels exist but in such a way that doesn't prevent them from leaving the door open to doing new ones

for example, saying in vague terms 'sidious arose and the jedi failed to stop him' and not so much 'anakin's fall happened as demonstrated on-screen and he was played by hayden christensen'

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

Wait so how much loving older is Han Solo than Luke if Darth Maul is around in this movie???

How can Han not believe in the force if he's old enough to live in a world with a loving jedi council and Darth Maul???

VVV: Yeah he says that in a hushed voice and very quickly moves on so the audience doesn't spend too much time remembering the prequels

It's set about 10 years after Revenge of the Sith, it's just that Darth Maul is still alive. He has robo-legs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

disney seems like they're acknowledging the prequels exist but in such a way that doesn't prevent them from leaving the door open to doing new ones

for example, saying in vague terms 'sidious arose and the jedi failed to stop him' and not so much 'anakin's fall happened as demonstrated on-screen and he was played by hayden christensen'

lol no

They aren't going to loving remake the prequels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Calico Heart posted:

Maul is in this movie for a brief cameo via hologram, and Han doesn't see it. Han and Maul do not interact at all. The timeline of this movie is unclear at this moment, but Han has always been around 10 years older than Luke. Han would have been around 10 when the Jedi Council fell.

Han not believing in the Force even though he was alive when they were around has come up in the main thread a lot, but first off, not everyone would have met a Jedi. In a literal galaxy's worth of people, there were a pretty small number of Jedi, so it's perfectly believable plenty of people would have never come across one. And hearing that there are these monk cops running around who can perform weird "magic" tricks doesn't mean you suddenly believe in their religion. Knowing about these monk cops when you're a kid might seem "hokey" when you look back on it as an adult.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

kidkissinger posted:

I bet they eventually make a "young darth vader" movie showing his early years as vader if they keep making these movies and I bet there is potential they summarize his origin story with a refilmed set of flashbacks.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

kidkissinger posted:

lol no

I dunno. They introduced time travel into the series with Rebels and a large plot point was Palpatine wanting to gently caress with the timeline. It's Chekov's Gun, whether we like it or not it's in their back pocket for a reason. Disney isn't very original. I could totally see Darth Badius deciding to gently caress with the timeline and now everything is "different".

People would revolt. But fans are revolting anyway tbh.

Edit: According to the totally canon Super Star Wars on SNES, Luke is 19 and Han is 31 by ANH.

Edit 2: Han not believing in Jedi makes sense. Look at all the people who either fall for fake news or claim everything they hear is the same. Han's seen some poo poo, but never encountered these space wizards. Maybe he just assumed claims of their existence was war time propaganda and political fuckery. For all he knows, Jedi are just super rich guys who rub elbows with the elite, influence politics, and take photos after battles to put a sell-able "face" on the carnage.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 17, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dishwasher posted:

Edit: According to the totally canon Super Star Wars on SNES, Luke is 19 and Han is 31 by ANH.

It's funny, that's where I learned Chewie was 198 years old.

But apparently new canon has now established Han was born 29 years before ANH, thanks to the book I didn't read, "A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There were 10,000 or so Jedi (I think it was in an episode of the Rebels cartoon) for the entire galaxy which probably had about [whatever the next -illion after trillion] people in it, so they were pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

[whatever the next -illion after trillion]

Quadrillion! :science:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I don't think it'll happen because unlike the PT, the movies so far have had some great characters and they're at least well-acted. Just lol when you compare Kylo Ren or Rey to Anakin from the PT. He was supposed to be the backbone of the prequels. Half the time he opened his mouth you just want to say "just shut up" out loud.

For no apparent reason I decided to rewatch the prequels for the first time in at least 10+ years, and most of the performances from the primary cast is borderline painful. When they were still 'new,' I didn't really pay as close attention. But I heard Ian McDiarmid speak at a con last year and what he described makes so much more sense now. He talked about how they acted in front of a green screen the entire time and it was really difficult to emote and react appropriately. He said the stuff that always stood out the most was whenever anyone is under attack by droids, Lucas would never tell them whether there was 1 or 1000 of them coming at them, so the danger they were in had no weight. He was really coy about speaking candidly on Hayden Christensen.

Anyway, you're right, the acting in the current movies compared to the PT is night and day. Incomparable for the most part aside from maybe Ewan McGregor and McDiarmid.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Han not believing in the Force even though he was alive when they were around has come up in the main thread a lot, but first off, not everyone would have met a Jedi. In a literal galaxy's worth of people, there were a pretty small number of Jedi, so it's perfectly believable plenty of people would have never come across one. And hearing that there are these monk cops running around who can perform weird "magic" tricks doesn't mean you suddenly believe in their religion. Knowing about these monk cops when you're a kid might seem "hokey" when you look back on it as an adult.

Does TV not exist in the star wars universe? Or cameras? Or any kind of recorded history? Like I've never seen a lot of things in person but I know they exist. Also there's gotta be a ton more force users out there than just Jedi since the Jedi themselves straight up admit once you're past a certain age they just don't care about bringing you into the fold. The idea that Han never saw TMZ footage of a Jedi slicing off a dude's head on space tv is kinda dumb

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Does TV not exist in the star wars universe? Or cameras? Or any kind of recorded history? Like I've never seen a lot of things in person but I know they exist. Also there's gotta be a ton more force users out there than just Jedi since the Jedi themselves straight up admit once you're past a certain age they just don't care about bringing you into the fold. The idea that Han never saw TMZ footage of a Jedi slicing off a dude's head on space tv is kinda dumb

If he did see that, why would that make him believe "there’s one all-powerful Force controlling everything", which is what he said he doesn't believe. He never said Jedi didn't exist, just that "no mystical energy field controls my destiny". If he saw a Jedi do something weird, why would he suddenly believe they had the right view about their religion? And not just that it was "all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

That would be a interesting way of showing just how alien a world the Star Wars universe is. They have advanced technology, but outside of novelty chess sets, they don't have visual entertainment as a thing. Basically the 19th century, but with droids.

The Holiday Special argues against this, but take it for what it is.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

If he did see that, why would that make him believe "there’s one all-powerful Force controlling everything", which is what he said he doesn't believe. He never said Jedi didn't exist, just that "no mystical energy field controls my destiny". If he saw a Jedi do something weird, why would he suddenly believe they had the right view about their religion? And not just that it was "all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

He literally lives with a guy who fought alongside one of the most powerful force users ever. This isnt the Loch Ness monster, everyone around the galaxy knows about the force.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

He literally lives with a guy who fought alongside one of the most powerful force users ever. This isnt the Loch Ness monster, everyone around the galaxy knows about the force.

Luke: “The Force?”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kidkissinger posted:

lol no

let's not say things we can't take back

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

regardless of how many jedi there were you'd think that people would have heard that the loving space council that runs the galaxy is headed by literal wizards and a literal evil wizard took it over

all I'm saying is: You'd think ***wizards run the universe*** would get around. It makes Han sound like a conspiracy theorist.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calico Heart posted:

regardless of how many jedi there were you'd think that people would have heard that the loving space council that runs the galaxy is headed by literal wizards and a literal evil wizard took it over

all I'm saying is: You'd think ***wizards run the universe*** would get around. It makes Han sound like a conspiracy theorist.

People don’t know Palpatine is a wizard. That is not common knowledge. They think he wears the robes now because he was scarred by the Jedi.

Also, again, just because there are people running around with weird powers does not mean they’re right about there being an all powerful Force binding the universe together, which is what Han was skeptical about. They could just have weird mutant powers. Or it could all be tricks and smoke screens.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 17, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The RotS novel talks about Anakin and Obi-Wan’s clone war adventures being broadcast all over in what I assume to be space ww2 news reels. Idk if that’s canon now though.

It’s almost as if this was not all planned out in before ‘77.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Does TV not exist in the star wars universe? Or cameras? Or any kind of recorded history?
The movies are (intentionally or not), pretty consistent about not having this. Other than R2 using text displays in starfighters, written communication seems nonexistent. Even when Obi-Wan goes to an actual library, he can't actually find out any information until the librarian is free to talk to him. Even the idea of books took decades to be introduced, and are almost immediately dismissed as worthless.
The series is presented as a fairy tale, and all the characters seem to rely exclusively on oral storytelling to find anything out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

stop

maul time

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

For all the shameless fan pandering nu Star Wars has given us couldn’t we at least had a scene with Luke and Han together?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Luke: “The Force?”

It's almost as if his uncle keeping him away from such things was a conscience effort.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I just can’t get over this Maul thing. It’s the dumbest thing in these Disney SW movies.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m glad that the guy that got chopped in half survived and is a crime lord now (lol not)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cross-Section posted:

stop

maul time

PLEASE MAULER

DON’T HURT EM

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

I’m glad that the guy that got chopped in half survived and is a crime lord now (lol not)

You’re mocking me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Breaking news: Lando is pansexual.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

Breaking news: Lando is pansexual.

Wow, what a deep and meaningful expansion on a character's backstory that doesn't ever have reason to come up in the movies themselves and is stated by the writers after the movie is out

It's just like Holdo being Force-sensitive

ie, "That's nice. NEXT!"

What's next, Han tried a relationship with L3-37 and got snubbed, hence his dismissive attitude towards droids in general?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fits with the character :shrug:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Does that mean it will be lando who will gently caress the giant weasel in the new canon

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cross-Section posted:

Fits with the character :shrug:

Then they should allude to this in the actual text, not say it on Twitter to get hits.

Lando being pansexual would be great. PUT IN THE MOVIE

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wild Horses posted:

loving kill the millenium falcon

If you meet the Falcon on the Kessel Run, dismantle it

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

stop

maul time

dont post small maul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kidkissinger posted:

Then they should allude to this in the actual text, not say it on Twitter to get hits.

Lando being pansexual would be great. PUT IN THE MOVIE

Stick around for the after credits scene. Let's just say Lando and Han dump some spice..together.