Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Goo posted:

Probably technically feasible but to be perfectly honest the number of people who would actually use that feature on gaming mice is probably not enough to offset the development cost. I'll ask the team to keep it in mind for the future but it's likely a long way off, if at all.

The MX Anywhere counts as a gaming mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Anyone have the experience of buying a new G502 and finding the firmware is already up to date? I think I may have been sold an opened box as new from Amazon.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My trackball arrived. It's awesome, I'm surprised how natural it feels trackballing left-handed because mousing left-handed never felt good. I am very likely to pick up a nicer wireless one in the future though. I feel what you were saying before about the scroll wheel SymmetryrtemmyS, it is a very convenient place for a scroll ring but this one is janky as hell.

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 16, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Careful Drums posted:

My trackball arrived. It's awesome, I'm surprised how natural it feels trackballing left-handed because mousing left-handed never felt good. I am very likely to pick up a nicer wireless one in the future though. I feel what you were saying before about the scroll wheel SymmetryrtemmyS, it is a very convenient place for a scroll ring but this one is janky as hell.

You can slightly improve it: https://web.archive.org/web/20100620203512/http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:9303

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My g500 is very rapidly dying. I'll be using it and it will randomly disconnect and reconnect like 5 seconds later. Is this something that I could realistically fix? I've tried several different USB ports on my pc with the same result.

I'm looking at getting a replacement and I'm afraid to spend money on a mouse that I hate. The g500 has by far been my favorite mouse but I've had a few (subjectively) bad experiences with the g9x and some steel series mouse my friend gave me back in the day.

I'm looking for a modern day replacement to the g500 in terms of 'feel in hand' and track-wheel. I mostly use the mouse for office work and I love how my hand 'arches' over it. I've read on some other forums that the g502 is good but it's pretty expensive from what I've seen.

Is the 403 a similar mouse?

edit: Does the steelseries Rival 110 have a similar grip to the g500? It's on amazon for like $25.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 17, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I haven't seen it with a mouse, but my Filco keyboard and audio interface used to do that for a bit. I think it was my PSU that wasn't able to power the components anymore, and after I replaced it, the issue seemed to go away.

Just make sure it actually is your mouse and not something else; try to test it on a laptop maybe.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ufarn posted:

I haven't seen it with a mouse, but my Filco keyboard and audio interface used to do that for a bit. I think it was my PSU that wasn't able to power the components anymore, and after I replaced it, the issue seemed to go away.

Just make sure it actually is your mouse and not something else; try to test it on a laptop maybe.

That is a possibility considering my keyboard was doing something similar this morning.

My power supply is 7 years old so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll mess around with it and see if I can figure it out.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Having read that all I want to do now is get a trackball that I can stick an 8ball into.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Careful Drums posted:

Having read that all I want to do now is get a trackball that I can stick an 8ball into.

CST L-Trac, friend. You can also plug in two additional buttons of your own design, or they sell add on buttons.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

CST L-Trac, friend. You can also plug in two additional buttons of your own design, or they sell add on buttons.

Glad I started with a cheaper trackball because I'm very likely to buy one of those in the future. I have an answer to the thread title: "Yes, but only if its a trackball"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

That is a possibility considering my keyboard was doing something similar this morning.

My power supply is 7 years old so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll mess around with it and see if I can figure it out.
Seven years was about the age of mine. There's a big derail about PSUs in the GPU thread during the downtime until the Turing announcement if you wanna take a look there.

You'll probably want to replace your PSU either way, so definitely do that before replacing your mouse.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

64bit_Dophins posted:

My g500 is very rapidly dying. I'll be using it and it will randomly disconnect and reconnect like 5 seconds later. Is this something that I could realistically fix? I've tried several different USB ports on my pc with the same result.

I'm looking at getting a replacement and I'm afraid to spend money on a mouse that I hate. The g500 has by far been my favorite mouse but I've had a few (subjectively) bad experiences with the g9x and some steel series mouse my friend gave me back in the day.

I'm looking for a modern day replacement to the g500 in terms of 'feel in hand' and track-wheel. I mostly use the mouse for office work and I love how my hand 'arches' over it. I've read on some other forums that the g502 is good but it's pretty expensive from what I've seen.

Is the 403 a similar mouse?

edit: Does the steelseries Rival 110 have a similar grip to the g500? It's on amazon for like $25.

Your mouse cord most likely has some broken conductors and it's periodically losing power or data as you move it around. It will then reconnect when it gets some more contact on the broken conductors. If that's the case, you can fix it with a new cable or by cutting off the bad section, although it may require soldering the cut cable ends back together. I'd suggest moving up to a G502 or maybe even an MX Master if you do a lot of office work. I have all three on my desk right now and they feel pretty similar in general shape.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ufarn posted:

Seven years was about the age of mine. There's a big derail about PSUs in the GPU thread during the downtime until the Turing announcement if you wanna take a look there.

You'll probably want to replace your PSU either way, so definitely do that before replacing your mouse.

I'm about to buy a 1060 used from one of my friends who barely used it so I was going to get a new case to fit it in anyways. I'll just look for a case PSU bundle that's decent and on sale.

Rexxed posted:

Your mouse cord most likely has some broken conductors and it's periodically losing power or data as you move it around. It will then reconnect when it gets some more contact on the broken conductors. If that's the case, you can fix it with a new cable or by cutting off the bad section, although it may require soldering the cut cable ends back together. I'd suggest moving up to a G502 or maybe even an MX Master if you do a lot of office work. I have all three on my desk right now and they feel pretty similar in general shape.

Would you recommend the SteelSeries Rival 110? I'm about to pull the trigger on it because it's more in line with my current budget.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm about to buy a 1060 used from one of my friends who barely used it so I was going to get a new case to fit it in anyways. I'll just look for a case PSU bundle that's decent and on sale.

Would you recommend the SteelSeries Rival 110? I'm about to pull the trigger on it because it's more in line with my current budget.

It looks pretty solid to me, and is corroborated by reviews. http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/02/steelseries-rival-110-gaming-mouse-review

Trackball day 3 trip report: I really enjoy using this thing! I was kind of expecting to get tired of it by day 3.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Careful Drums posted:

It looks pretty solid to me, and is corroborated by reviews. http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/02/steelseries-rival-110-gaming-mouse-review

Trackball day 3 trip report: I really enjoy using this thing! I was kind of expecting to get tired of it by day 3.

It'll only get better from here. Welcome to the club.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Careful Drums posted:

Oh yeah once you go trackball using a regular mouse never really feels the same. I switch between my Kensington trackball and my intellimouse at the office all the time.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

64bit_Dophins posted:

That seems good, but the Nixeus Revel and DM S1 Pro are the same price for what's likely a better mouse if you like the sensei shape.

Here's a review for the rival: http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/steelseries-rival-110-review/, and FWIW it's in his top category: http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/top-40/ (albeit a bit below the revel and DM, but not by much and if having software is a feature for you then steelseries is way better)

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Ynglaur posted:

The MX Anywhere counts as a gaming mouse?

What I'm saying is that it's one thing to have that feature on an MX Anywhere, it's a different thing to have that feature on a gaming mouse. Different receivers/firmware/etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Goo posted:

What I'm saying is that it's one thing to have that feature on an MX Anywhere, it's a different thing to have that feature on a gaming mouse. Different receivers/firmware/etc.

Makes sense. I use an MX Anywhere 2S. FWIW, I would buy a "3S" in a heartbeat if it could switch between receivers.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Pottsdam posted:

Anyone have the experience of buying a new G502 and finding the firmware is already up to date? I think I may have been sold an opened box as new from Amazon.

New firmwares are put into production at the factory in addition to being provided as a download.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I finally got my Steelseries Rival 110 and I'm pretty impressed considering it was only $28 shipped.

The buttons feel great and are very clicky but compared to the g500 the scroll wheel sucks. Does logitech still do that thing with their mice where you can click that button on the top for infinite scrolling? I got so used to that this just doesn't feel right.

That said this thing is great for gaming if you like a claw grip mouse.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hi mouseketeers, so my MX518 finally committed hara kiri and I ended up getting a Logitech G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM RGB MLG420xXxXxXSmOkeWe3dpr0 mouse, and I'm liking it a lot so far. Mini trip report coming up.

The endless mousewheel is really nice, and while the MX518 had DPI adjustment, having the LED indicator is actually proving to be quite useful.

It's a bit heavy but not hard to get used to coming from an MX518, so if anybody else was making that leap, it's okay.

I downloaded the logitech software which means I can set this mouse up to 12k dpi, which compared to the MX518's 800dpi optical sensor, is a little :eek:.

More programmable buttons is obviously a good thing.

The faux-rubber grip feels really nice.

The braided cable is super premium-feeling and makes me irrationally happier with the product than I know I should be.

Scored this for around 50USD on a sale which I'm not too fussed about, as where I live it'll retail for closer to 80.

One thing I don't like is that wheel-click (middle mouse / mouse 3) lacks feedback. In fact, that's something that's going to take time to get used to, unfortunately. The MX518 had a really nice feedback click for the middle mouse click.

Wanted to ask the thread, with regard to FPS gaming, is it better to set a high DPI and lower in-game sensitivity, or is it better to have a low DPI and raise in-game sensitivity?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Wanted to ask the thread, with regard to FPS gaming, is it better to set a high DPI and lower in-game sensitivity, or is it better to have a low DPI and raise in-game sensitivity?

I tend to lower the games adjustment, though not usually to the lowest setting, as some games behave strangely. I then use the mouse software to set up some DPI profiles for the game, and adjust them (and the in game setting) until I'm happy. This lets me toggle the mouse speed using buttons on the mouse, depending on game needs, with low DPI for in game, and higher DPI for menus, etc.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

I tend to lower the games adjustment, though not usually to the lowest setting, as some games behave strangely. I then use the mouse software to set up some DPI profiles for the game, and adjust them (and the in game setting) until I'm happy. This lets me toggle the mouse speed using buttons on the mouse, depending on game needs, with low DPI for in game, and higher DPI for menus, etc.

Right, so I've started out doing high DPI for the mouse, and low sensitivity in-game because I'm guessing that this should give me the best accuracy. But a side-effect I didn't anticipate was menus being basically impossible because of the super-high sensitivity, which means of the 5 DPI adjustment levels I always need one or two around 800 to 1000, versus the 12k,10k,8k settings on the other 3.

Does the DPI 'amount' actually correlate to accuracy? Is sensitivity, as adjusted in game, just a software approximation?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Right, so I've started out doing high DPI for the mouse, and low sensitivity in-game because I'm guessing that this should give me the best accuracy. But a side-effect I didn't anticipate was menus being basically impossible because of the super-high sensitivity, which means of the 5 DPI adjustment levels I always need one or two around 800 to 1000, versus the 12k,10k,8k settings on the other 3.

Does the DPI 'amount' actually correlate to accuracy? Is sensitivity, as adjusted in game, just a software approximation?
Mouse movement is discretized into events on the x and y axes. DPI is supposed to say "If I move the mouse 1 inch, how many mouse motion events get reported?" Or take its reciprocal: how much do I have to move my mouse to make 1 mouse event? If your sensor is high quality it can be accurate over its whole range of DPI, accuracy simply meaning that the number of events generated by a mouse motion corresponds closely to the stated DPI.

Sensitivity, at least in Quake-like games, is a relationship between mouse events and turning in game. Each mouse event corresponds to a rotation of about 4/3 of an arcminute times your sensitivity (I'm using CS/quake values because I remember what they mean). So with sensitivity of 1 you need 16,200 mouse events to perform a 360, sensitivity of 2 would be half that (8,100), etc. If the game you're playing has a flexible enough sensitivity model you can play with high DPI by turning your in-game sensitivity down, or low DPI and turning sensitivity up, and hardly notice it. It's useful to have a DPI-independent metric of sensitivity, and people sometimes state their sensitivity in "360 distance" which takes DPI and sensitivity into account to just say how far they have to physically move their mouse to turn all the way around in-game.

In a FPS, DPI only matters if you're trying to do minute adjustments, when you start flicking and dragging your DPI matters less and less. You basically have to do experiments with small mouse motions to tell whether your DPI is high or low, if your 360 distance is kept the same. If you're trying to line up a shot exactly on a particular part of a texture low DPI will help you make those fine adjustments without requiring an extremely fine mouse motion. Over long mouse motions the difference becomes negligible.

DPI matters more on the desktop where 800DPI on a 4K screen with acceleration off makes every click of the start menu a 8" round trip. So mostly you should pick a DPI to suit your desktop resolution and preference, and find the in-game sensitivity that lets you keep your DPI at a level that's comfortable for desktop use without having to switch modes. If that's not possible (some engines have a hard minimum sensitivity) or you really want low DPI for those fine grained motions in-game by all means tweak away.

tl;dr the difference between high and low DPI that can't be eliminated by adjusting your sensitivity is the precision you, the person holding the mouse, need to have to make a minute turn in-game; low DPI requires less precision, because the physical distance between mouse events is higher so you have more wiggle room on the mouse pad. Optimize to this exactly according to your preferences and no further.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I’ve just been allocated the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S at work. Is there seriously no way to make the scroll wheel, which clicks when you push down on it, the middle click button?

The Logitech software lets me change the button just behind it (which is placed at such an awkward angle that my finger will probably drop off trying to use it), and lets me change the sideways action of the scroll wheel, but not the vertical click action, which does nothing despite actually clicking down. Is this seriously the case or am I completely stupid and missing something obvious?

I’m just about ready to throw this mouse through my office window in frustration.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

I’ve just been allocated the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S at work. Is there seriously no way to make the scroll wheel, which clicks when you push down on it, the middle click button?

The Logitech software lets me change the button just behind it (which is placed at such an awkward angle that my finger will probably drop off trying to use it), and lets me change the sideways action of the scroll wheel, but not the vertical click action, which does nothing despite actually clicking down. Is this seriously the case or am I completely stupid and missing something obvious?

I’m just about ready to throw this mouse through my office window in frustration.

I returned the G602 for the opposite reason. The scrollwheel middle-clicked and tilt-clicked. Except the tilts couldn't be mapped to anything but middle-click.

Why Logitech? Why does it tilt but do nothing? Who thought that was a good idea?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I returned the G602 for the opposite reason. The scrollwheel middle-clicked and tilt-clicked. Except the tilts couldn't be mapped to anything but middle-click.

Why Logitech? Why does it tilt but do nothing? Who thought that was a good idea?

My G602 doesn't tilt click. Maybe yours was broken

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

My G602 doesn't tilt click. Maybe yours was broken

I only used it for about an hour before I packed it back up but I could have sworn it tilted. And I'm 90% sure that resulted in a middle-click.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah it's broken - the 602 never had a tilt wheel

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

kaschei posted:

Mouse movement is discretized into events on the x and y axes. ...

This was interesting + helpful, ty!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

Yeah: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&pagenumber=220&perpage=40#post478685252

Unfortunately, the MX Anywhere and a few other Logitech mice (IIRC) have their wheel mode switch (which is a physical switch, not a button you can reassign in software) built into the wheel, you'll need to assign "middle click" to one of the mouse buttons if you need it. The first MX Anywhere had it on the small button behind the wheel by default, apparently the MX Anywhere 2 doesn't.

And yeah it sucks for users who use middle click way more than switching the scroll wheel mode.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Nam Taf posted:

You can set the small button below the scroll wheel to be the middle button. This works well for me, though I have small hands.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Thanks, peeps. I just ended up returning it to the IT team and told them that I'll go back to my wired thing. They went with this because of our fancy new hotdesking office, but I have a fat workstation so I don't even move, so it makes no difference to me to just use the ol' faithful dell 5-button wired mouse.

The little button behind the scroll wheel is way too awkward for my hand, especially in the 2S. I could go a bigger one but I don't see why it's worth bothering when I can just stick with a wired solution I'm perfectly satisfied with.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Luddite. :colbert:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Feeling like my replacement M500 is getting pretty jerky when it comes to cursor movement. Messing with sensitivity settings and trying new (steelseries) mousepads really hasn't helped.

What mouse can I get to replace it that will soothe my OCD? I do photoshop work that sometimes requires more precise mouse movements and when I'm going real slow with the cursor having it jerk around can be insanely frustrating. Not sure what I need to be looking for in a mouse to address this.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

iSheep posted:

Feeling like my replacement M500 is getting pretty jerky when it comes to cursor movement. Messing with sensitivity settings and trying new (steelseries) mousepads really hasn't helped.

What mouse can I get to replace it that will soothe my OCD? I do photoshop work that sometimes requires more precise mouse movements and when I'm going real slow with the cursor having it jerk around can be insanely frustrating. Not sure what I need to be looking for in a mouse to address this.

The mouse movement shouldn't degrade unless maybe there's dust or hair under the sensor window. You can try changing the DPI and mouse movement in windows to try and get things smoother. A lot of FPS game mouse configurations are meant for the smoothest possible movement for high accuracy head clicking. I believe (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) you want 6/11 on the Pointer Options for Motion. Turn off "Enhance pointer precision." You can then use the mouse control panel to set your DPI steps. It's usually suggested that they be an even division of the sensor's max DPI. So if it's a 12,000 DPI max mouse you might try 2400, 1200 or 600.

Some of this may be old advice that is no longer considered important but I'd give it a shot before replacing the mouse if it used to work better.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Has Logitech quality gone down lately? First my Anywhere 2S won't charge. So I buy a new one, and that one won't pair with a Unifying Receiver (either the new receiver, or the old).

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I'm looking for a deathadder replacement, starting to get double click issues on this mouse and it's barely a year old :/ not sure how to remedy, will try cleaning it but I have around $100 in amazon credit and wouldn't mind treating myself.

I really really really like the shape of this mouse but I do not want to get another one if it's going to have the same issues a few months down the line, any recommendations? I'm looking at the G502 but it doesn't look anything like the deathadder in terms of grip or comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Fano posted:

I'm looking for a deathadder replacement, starting to get double click issues on this mouse and it's barely a year old :/ not sure how to remedy, will try cleaning it but I have around $100 in amazon credit and wouldn't mind treating myself.

I really really really like the shape of this mouse but I do not want to get another one if it's going to have the same issues a few months down the line, any recommendations? I'm looking at the G502 but it doesn't look anything like the deathadder in terms of grip or comfort.

I went from a death adder to a steel series rival 310. Could not be more pleased.