Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Feedback for new apps:

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Name: Aden Flint

Backstory: Seems ok, as long as you’re aware that ODIN much like the Men Who Stare at Goats is gonna be a total farce.

Mundane Qualities
[+2] Tough as Nails: Seems fine.

[+2] Paranoid: I’m not super clear that this a quality and not a drawback. Can you give me some examples of how you would use it in an action.

[+2] Smash and Grab: Seems fine.

Super Quality

[+2] Psychokinesis: Seems fine.

Drawbacks

[-2] Volatile: So wait, I’m confused. Is this about how he’s volatile and tends to fly off the handle or that his power is volatile and subject to crapping out.

[-2] Punk Kid: Seems fine.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Origin Story: Ok, as long as you’re ok with the fact that the shootout would have happened hours or maybe a day at most before the start of the game. Since the general idea is that the game picks up right after people develop their powers.

Super Ability
Telepathy [+2]:
Seems fine.

Mundane Qualities
Police Detective [+4]: Seems fine.
Local Celebrity [+2]: Fine as long as you’re ok with the fact that this will fade with time.

Drawbacks
Greedy [-2]: Pretty classic villain trait.
Dino Mazzanati [-2]: You’re gonna need to be a bit more clear on how this is a drawback.

Quornes posted:

Origin Story: Seems fine.

Mundane Qualities
Wolf of Wall Street [+2]: Seems fine.

Golden Gloves[+2]: Seems fine.

Upper Management [+2]: Seems fine.

Super-Ability
Hyper Intuition [+2]: Seems fine as long as you’re aware that this doesn’t actually change your physical body so you may not have the physical talents necessary to make the most of your analysis. Ex. A martial arts master would still wipe the floor with you in close combat because being able to read his moves doesn’t mean much if he’s covered all your alternatives.

Drawbacks
Snow Blower [-2]: While very on-theme, I’m a bit concerned this could become tired in fairly short order.

Arrogant [-2]: Seems fine.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Diplomatic Special Agent Krix-Narr

Ya, this is too far out. No aliens, ghosts, or any other background that requires you to have been supernatural prior to the start of the game.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Valhawk posted:

Backstory: Seems ok, as long as you’re aware that ODIN much like the Men Who Stare at Goats is gonna be a total farce.[/list]
Yeah, definitely what I had in mind actually, thus the use of "indigo children" and the like, entirely misguided. A huge boondoggle that lucked into having an actual metahuman event at the end of it. Thematically I was thinking of like the Clockworks mental hospital from the TV show Legion, with its slightly sinister undertone but ultimately just being completely out of their depth. Aden's near pathological paranoia however spins it to a completely all-powerful conspiracy with limitless resources, and provides sometimes a flimsy excuse for his villainy, and he's very prone to being very credulous of other people's conspiracy theories about other sources of authority.

Valhawk posted:

[+2] Paranoid: I’m not super clear that this a quality and not a drawback. Can you give me some examples of how you would use it in an action.
I wanted to focus on the idea that he would use the quality when reading through people's real intentions, but I think that I didn't really word it right. I have replaced it with the following:

[+2] Nobody's Fool: Though his grief and paranoia can be easily redirected by someone's manipulations, it's actually very hard to fool Aden for long. His tenacity and suspicious nature outside of his own delusions means he'll pick apart and barrel through traps made for him, so he is highly unpredictable to those who rely on use of misdirection or cleverness. He'll usually get trapped or tripped up the first time by someone, but once he's been betrayed or tricked once, he adapts quickly and he never forgets a slight, even when he decides he has to go back to working together.

Valhawk posted:

[-2] Volatile: So wait, I’m confused. Is this about how he’s volatile and tends to fly off the handle or that his power is volatile and subject to crapping out.

It was intended as both, but I think the distinction obviously wasn't clear so I reworked it, along with the feedback under Paranoid, to transplant that as a drawback, as I think Volatile just describes his state of being and isn't an easily actionable drawback, so this will be a bit clearer how it can be used by you and other players:

[-2] Paranoid: To say Aden has trust issues is an understatement. He assumes the worst in everyone and is constantly looking for an excuse to believe that he has been betrayed. He is liable to assume that someone is working to betray him, so he'll start immediately figuring out the best way to do it before he gets hit, often ruining a working relationship. Even those who are attempting to understand him and reach out find only open hostility and the most intense suspicion of all, and he surprisingly works best with people that do little to try and be friendly with him, and that means he often trusts exactly the wrong kind of people despite his paranoia.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 16, 2018

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Valhawk posted:

Super-Ability
Hyper Intuition [+2]: Seems fine as long as you’re aware that this doesn’t actually change your physical body so you may not have the physical talents necessary to make the most of your analysis. Ex. A martial arts master would still wipe the floor with you in close combat because being able to read his moves doesn’t mean much if he’s covered all your alternatives.

That's fine. It just lets him ready his opponents moves in combat. He already has some boxing training and good cardio from Golden Gloves. He'd probably lose against a master in a fight, but can at least hold his own against people lower than that.

Valhawk posted:

Drawbacks
Snow Blower [-2]: While very on-theme, I’m a bit concerned this could become tired in fairly short order.

I changed this to

quote:

Infamously Blacklisted [-2]: Nicolas is like a nuclear hot potato in the legit business world. As much as he is free to dally in the black market, establishing legitimate ties or covers will be hard. The grey market is more receptive but any buyer/seller will be wary of him.

Let me know what you think of that.

I also renamed, after discord feedback, Wolf of Wall Street [+2] to The Fox of Fence Ave [+2], since this is an alternative world after all. Changed his prospective villain name to, "The Fox" Added a bit to Upper Management [+2], and came up with a name for his possible future arms dealing organisation. Research and Ordnance Solution Experts, aka ROSE. "A ROSE by any other name can't beat our quality or pricing!"

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Valhawk posted:

Origin Story: Ok, as long as you’re ok with the fact that the shootout would have happened hours or maybe a day at most before the start of the game. Since the general idea is that the game picks up right after people develop their powers.

Sounds good.

Valhawk posted:

Mundane Qualities
Police Detective [+4]:
Seems fine.
Local Celebrity [+2]: Fine as long as you’re ok with the fact that this will fade with time.

I think it'll be fun. My plan is to have him keep "solving crimes." Or at least to start getting some flashy press releases that cover up for all the robbery, bribery, and extortion.

Valhawk posted:

Drawbacks
Greedy [-2]:
Pretty classic villain trait.
Dino Mazzanati [-2]: You’re gonna need to be a bit more clear on how this is a drawback.

Dino Mazzanati [-2]: Sharpe’s partner and best friend. He's the one who knows where all the bodies are buried (sometimes literally). And he's the one that Sharpe truly trusts. The only one. If there is honor amongst thieves, this is where you could find it. And if you need a way to get to Sharpe, this is where you could go.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Sheet completed.

Edit: don't forget to click on my pictures!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 16, 2018

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Captain Desdemona Kilgore

Villain name: Queen of Swords.

War destroys nations, minds, lives. No one is enriched beyond distant contractors and established interests, and no one enjoys it, other than, of course, the goddamn sociopaths.

The Cosmos decided to balance out Desdemona's towering height, intimidating intellect, frightening physical prowess, and feral beauty with a huge, gaping hole where her soul should've been. The second of three siblings in an upper middle class household of grasping, yuppie scum, her childhood had been spent in sports and supplemental after-hours schooling, and endless criticism of her grades, performance and appearance to maximize her educational and earning potential. She graduated early and at 16 managed a full ride to an elite north eastern Atlantican university where she majored in economics and business. To her parents' horror, she also enlisted in ROTC and upon graduation was among the first female recruits into the Atlantican ground forces elite light infantry. Assigned to one of the innumerable bush wars conducted to prop up the Atlantican Federation's fading global hegemony, Desdemona did her best to make a good impression on her men even though she silently seethed with contempt at their weakness when one broke down crying or was otherwise devastated by the stress of endless insurgent warfare. She had been a keen student of psychology, both at university and in the service, but her perspective of human emotions was like a weather satellite watching a hurricane, able to pinpoint the exact wind-speed and trajectory, and oblivious to the carnage on the ground except in numbers and statistics.

Although originally planning on using her contacts in the service to move to a more traditional desk-bound member of the military-industrial complex, what really caught her eye was the growing use of contractors, both to provide support to the Atlantican troops and also as shooters themselves. Uninhibited by rules of engagement and paid several times what the standard grunts earned, this life appealed to Desdemona's sense of avarice, and also the fact she really enjoyed hurting people and getting away with it. She turned down a reenlistment offer with a pathetic offer for a huge signing bonus with Gethsemane Global Operations ("The Ultimate Solution to your security needs.") Led by the legendary Asmodeus Gethsemane, whose professional strikebreakers put down a massive general strike across the Atlantican continent 30 years ago, the company had been steadily chugging along since, sucking up influence and contracts as Atlantican job creators increasingly found they could abandon all pretense of a social contract with impunity.

Social adeptness had never been her strongest suit; most human emotions being a handicap she had never been saddled with. It had all changed during a dreary, insufferable meeting with some suited toad trying to convince them that a pay cut was in their best interests. Desdemona took to looking at the little man like a prey creature. As he rambled on she could feel his fear, his weaknesses, his basic human failures pour out as he talked at length how a 20% pay cut was going to make them all richer. She countered, as polite and straightforward as possible, making a few cruel but socially acceptable jokes about his job, his appearance, his social standing. Some faux-concern about how his wife had just left him topped it off, and he left the room in a hurry, eyes red, weeping, and sweating.

Desdemona barely registered the news the man had hung himself later that evening. She was reveling in her new-found ability; finally, all the little details of humanity were opening themselves up to her; she had a read on every single human she encountered as if it were a customized intelligence brief. She could push and press buttons in their soul, prodding them to whatever she wanted; all that was left was to apply it to the real world.

Quadrupling her salary with the stroke of a pen, Desdemona operated in places most Atlanticans would be unable to pronounce due the failing state of their educational system, and now, increasingly on Atlantican soil itself. Gethsemane Global Operations is diversifying, from private police forces to securing no-questions-asked economically priced labor from across the world to private prisons to construction-security specializing in walling off ghettos from the nice part of town. Between that and her newfound ability, the future is looking bright indeed.

Mundane Qualities

Right to Bare Arms+4 Rated in the top .1% of female applicants in physical and combat ability, Desdemona is physically superior to all but the most elite combatants. Some are intimidated, some are repulsed, she enjoys squicking them out and sneering at them. A natural inclination for violence combined with a progressive Atlantican society that deems that all people, regardless of race, creed, gender, or origin can be raving, violent shitheads has stood her well.

Merchant of Menace+2 With her contacts throughout the world of grey and black weapons markets, PMCs, and a sizable nest egg put away, Desdemona is well equipped to remind the proles of their natural state at the bottom of a boot heel.

Super-Ability

Super-Charisma+2: Desdemona has found herself with speaking abilities part none, and communication skills that need no words. Able to strut into a room and have every eye upon her, she now finds little difficulty speaking to any audience, from any back ground or context, and convincing them of whatever she's selling that day.

Drawbacks

Aura of Menace [-2]: Being alone in a room with Desdemona is like being a mouse in a cage with a well fed snake. Yes, its just sitting there, eyeing you. Yes, its not moving. Yes, its asking about your family and what you want to do on the weekends, this is not a guarantee of future peace and co-existence.

Never good enough [-2]: Deep down, Desdemona is that scared little girl at social functions where her parents were humiliated for being pretend-rich in the presence of actual-rich. This wasn't even old money, but being humiliated as upper middle class living-beyond-their-means in the presence of the nouveau riche. She desires wealth, power, and influence to prove to herself, to her parents, to the invisible voice in her head, that she's good enough, finally.

What do you want out of the game? The rivers run red, the bank accounts keep acquiring new leading digits, possibly some kind of brain injury halfway through where she forcibly acquires a conscience, somehow.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 18, 2018

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Valhawk posted:

Feedback for character's posted since my last round. I'll get around to responding to the 1st round responses in a bit.

Sweet, thanks for the feedback.

Regarding Genetic Genius [+2], I figured I could still have Komodo work on means to ply a trade, not unlike Lizard or Bane to still make a drug analogue or to maintain their horrendous physiques. I suppose I could just nix the Quality altogether so it's still A Thing that Komodo does, but, well, cannot quite push to an advantage. Of course, that leaves me to ponder on whether to replace it with another Quality altogether, or to bump up Cunning or Brute. Maybe something aquatic and swimming - not like Godzilla isn't known for traversing long stretches of water. Or Killer Croc. Or Orca.

I agree, I doubt Monstrous Size [+2] will increase much, but I do fully intend for him to outgrow (hah) his need for further genetic tampering - either by becoming lost to its effects, or by losing his skills, spiteful star shining bright in his thick skull notwithstanding.

Tricky Dick Nixon put it perfectly well, btw, with regards wanting to play a (powerful) mook. You're part of a crew, you're helping out someone that needs your skills or sheer raw strength, you're building narrative together. That, and being a potential disruptive force (with a little back and forth between the involved players, of course!) should the deal turn sour or one party tries to gain too much leverage over the other party.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
No alien stuff this time.

Edward Crane
Villain name: Virtuoso

Edward does not like to remember his past. He was born in a wealthy and renowned family in the Royal Isles, to a life of privlege and opportunity. Celebrity culture ensured he was famous before saying his first word. Every one of his failures was immediately excused, and victories were handed to him.

It drove him up the wall. Nothing he could ever do would be his achievement alone. Sure, everyone else would ooh and aaah, but he'd know that he did not have to work as hard as others. First he pursued a career in sports, but even once becoming an olympic level competition shooter he felt empty. He saw no poor people. Poor people could not afford to dedicate hours to something so frivolous. Could not afford equipment, could not afford tutors. It was a rich man's game through and through.

Almost everyone he knew disgusted him. These were people who, if they really wanted to, had the means to solve so many of the world's issues. But they did not care. They were cold, short sighted, stupid. Some took on popular causes as PR stunts. Some believed in them, until they inevitably got bored. All their gestures were empty. They could give passionate speeches, but were deathly afraid of disturbing the status quo or of having to forgo purchasing another mansion.

He was desperate to leave his own mark, his own legacy. So desperate that an insane idea came to him. He would throw it all away and start anew in a very different career. He emptied his accounts, donated the majority to climate research organisations and made his way to the Atlantican Federation under a false name.

He learned the criminal trade, and then started putting his own spin on it. He wasn't simple muscle. He had flair, and skills to back it up. Now it was time for the first of HIS heists. A secret weapon development and testing facility. A real strike at Atlantican imperialism. There, he found his prize. In a test chamber, a strange looking suit of armour. It called to him. He did not even notice the biohazard warnings as he worked his way through the airlock. And with the first touch, everything changed.

Mortal qualities:

[+4]Modern gunslinger- quickness and accuracy make a deadly combination
[+2]Social grace - Born near the top, Edward knows how to navigate high society

Super ability:

[+2]Living weapon - The result of years of cutting-edge supersoldier resarch and billions of dollars, Edward's suit is a biomechanical symbiote integrated into his very body. They are one organism. The outer armored layer can be taken off, but when put on is an extension of his body. For now the main function is protection, but as Edward learns to control it and his new form evolves additional functions will come online, for example subdermal plating, venom snacks, the ability to project weapons etc. We'll see where it goes.

Drawbacks:

[-2]Imperfect union - The symbiote is not sentient, but it is alive. It comes with instincts and hormones. Edward's personality is currently in the process of being altered, his values beliefs and thoughts are no longer entirely his own. Edward finds it fascinating and seductive rather than terrifying, but it is a very traumatic and volatile process. Glitches, losses of focus or conflicts of reactions occur.

[-2]Desperate for recognition - Edward must leave his mark. He must show the world he is the best at what he does. This can be used to manipulate him, and he is prone to taking risks in order to show off.

What I want out of the game
I'm fine being more of a henchman/mercenary than mastermind. I want fights, excitement and some body horror.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 18, 2018

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Ronwayne posted:

Captain Desdemona Kilgore

Backstory: Seems fine.

Mundane Qualities

Right to Bare Arms+4 Seems fine.

Merchant of Menace+2 Seems fine.

Super-Ability

Serpent's Mind+2: I’m a bit confused on what this is. You seem to flip back and forth between it being about reading people and influencing them beyond what would be normal, so I’m not sure if this is meant to be super-intuition or super-persuasion. The JFK/Jim Jones example isn’t really helping me understand the intent since their charisma would be a Mundane Quality and would actually probably be underpowered for a Super-Ability. Can you clarify this a bit and maybe give me some examples of how you see it being used?

Drawbacks

Aura of Menace [-2]: So this is why the ambiguity in your power is bad because depending on what it is this drawback is either fine, potentially interesting, or a huge thematic clash.

If it's super-intuition this is probably fine, though it'd get in the way of making use of the info you get.

If your power is super-manipulation (which is my best guess atm), this is a big thematic clash with your super-ability. Constantly giving off that predator vibe would seem to pretty drastically limit your range of options for manipulation, as it’s difficult to play for sympathy or convince people you’re on their side if they’re constantly being struck with a low-level feeling like your an instant away from throttling them.

If your power is super-charisma than this is interesting because while most people will will rationalize away the feeling or it’d become part of your mystique for them, there's potential for it to be a sour note in the harmony and cause some people to be less susceptible to you. Though it’d still potentially interfere from time to time.

I would circle back around to this after you clarify your power.

Never good enough [-2]: Seems fine.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Edward Crane

Backstory: Seems fine.

Mortal qualities:
[+4]Modern gunslinger- Seems fine.
[+2]Social grace - Seems fine.

Super ability:
[+2]Living weapon - Seems fine for the most part.

Drawbacks:
[-2]Personality rewrite - So I’m a bit confused on this one. Is this meant to be the symbiote altering his personality? How do you see this playing out?

[-2]Desperate for recognition - Seems fine.

Rhjamiz posted:

Origin Story: Seems fine.

Mundane Qualities
Blue-Collar Criminal [+2]: - Seems fine.
Fit [+2]: - Seems fine.
Underworld Contacts [+2]: - Seems fine.

Super-Ability
Illusions [+2]: Seems fine. Just an FYI, as Vince is generating the illusions he won’t be able to create believable illusions about things he doesn’t know about. So while he can do stuff he has experience with just fine, the more outside his wheelhouse what he’s generating becomes the easier it will be for people to realize that something is up. Ex. Creating the illusion of some chemicals in a lab, the chemicals won’t behave believably if Vince doesn’t know what they do.

Drawbacks
Drug Addict [-2]: - Fine for the most part, but has the potential to become tedious if overused.
Not So Ex-Con [-2]: Seems fine.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 17, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Valhawk posted:

Super-Ability
Illusions [+2]: Seems fine. Just an FYI, as Vince is generating the illusions he won’t be able to create believable illusions about things he doesn’t know about. So while he can do stuff he has experience with just fine, the more outside his wheelhouse what he’s generating becomes the easier it will be for people to realize that something is up. Ex. Creating the illusion of some chemicals in a lab, the chemicals won’t behave believably if Vince doesn’t know what they do.

That was actually in the first version of the power that I lost to a computer restart. We're on the same page.

quote:

Drawbacks
Drug Addict [-2]: - Fine for the most part, but has the potential to become tedious if overused.
Edited; In Debt to the Mob is the new flaw.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 17, 2018

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

I did kind of have to write that hastily because my laptop battery was running out. :v:

The symbiote wasn't sentient like Venom or whatever, but when Edward showed up it gained a sort of consciousness - but only in the context of merging with him, not separately. Something about his precise state of body chemistry at that exact moment was the trigger for it awakening.

They are merging into one being. Edward's personality, memories, reflexes, everything of the sort is changing. He sees it as evolving into something more, something better than a human, so he is fairly happy to go along with it - it's just a very difficult process and a traumatic experience for both him and the symbiote. There's glitches, there's confusion, there's compulsions he doesn't fully understand. Maybe a voice in his head. Gameplay wise it can be a distraction in an important situation, a way of forcing a less than optimal decision, and a need to search for ways of resolving differences and issues. For example, the symbiote could be afraid of some stimulus and Edward would have to spend time to teach it it's okay - and in the meantime or in a fight it would be a problem. Or the symbiote's feelings about it would be stronger and he'd become afraid of that.

This would change with time as they make progress integrating.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Villain name: Louisa Ferre

The picture of Olivia that hangs in her law firm's offices.

Origin Story:

Olivia was the only daughter of two grifters, they worked jobs together - always pulling the kind of gigs where you need two to tango. They taught her the game, and soon she was playing along. Any scam gets 50% more profitable when you add a crying kid, that's a scientific fact. Most of her childhood was spent bouncing from small town to small town, living under a dozen different assumed names. Olivia never really minded, she enjoyed meeting new people, seeing new places, and school always came easily to her.

Her parents realized early she had a gift, and did their best to help her along - save up a nest egg to send her to college. It wasn't much, but it helped - along with the grades and a few really tall stories she told in her entrance essays. Ironically, she found herself drawn to the law - maybe it was her own background as a grifter, maybe it was the fact she had a natural gift for it. It came easily to her, and she managed to claw her way into a good law school.

It become the foundation of her life, the connections she made there would introduce her to her wife, get her into an up and coming law firm and help pay off her debt so she could follow her dream. Her own practice in criminal law. It was her favorite type of law, maybe it was her past, maybe it was having the deck stacked in the prosecution's favor making it such a fun challenge, but it's an environment where her small but respected law firm thrived in. Somewhere around this time she noticed her gift developing, for some reason her word, her handshake, her penstroke could produce magically binding contracts. Soon, Olivia Cuvier was the go-to gal for every kind of scum. It helped that she didn't insist on payment in money. There were plenty of other ways to pay...

Super-Ability

Devil's Tongue[+2]: Olivia's expansive understanding of criminal law is bolstered by her ability to make and seal supernaturally-binding contracts with mutual consent via methods accepted by both parties (a handshake, someone's word, a signed paper contract) anyone who violates their contract have horrific runs of bad luck, and legal systems become remarkably hostile to them.

Mundane Qualities

Good Looks[+2]: Olivia's knife-gray eyes, red hair, and smooth, deep voice combined with years of conjobs just to get by has given her a gift making a good first impression and a certain social grace.

Quid Pro Quo [+2]: Being a criminal defense lawyer means you bump into all kinds; White-collar criminals who got caught with their hand in the jar, street-level drug dealers, even a few elected officials in compromising positions. She has contracts with all sorts of people, and is never afraid to call them in.

Stacks Of Cash[+2]: Olivia has worked hard to build a life for her and her wife. They live in the shadowland between being "upper class" and "noveau rich", and cash has a way of helping with all of life's little problems. (Except PTA and HOA meetings)

Drawbacks

The White Picket Fence[-2]: Olivia has the middle class dream, a wife, two daughters (six and eight, she'll show you pictures and talk your ear off), and a nice house in a good neighborhood. It also happens to be a drat lot of work to keep that dream alive, from dreaded PTA meetings to hiring goons to beat the snot out of anyone that thinks her wife and kids are an easy target to get leverage on her. No matter what, her family always comes first. It's slowed down her career and meant she's had let some major opportunities go, but it's worth it.

Paranoid[-2]: Olivia came from nothing, and only got this far through dumb luck, good lies, and determination. Combined with her childhood it's brewed into a toxic mixture where Olivia is both paranoid about the life she's built falling apart and constantly on-guard against getting scammed herself.

What do you want out of the game?

Lawful Evil. You're a supervillain, your ambitions run afoul of the law, it happens. When the cops got you in cuffs you shut the gently caress up and Call Cuvier first chance you get. Olivia is a fixer who gets paid in favors to clean up messes using money, her demonic intelligence, and connections, both legal and extralegal while she quietly builds her own law firm and tries to balance all this with having a family/a life beyond crime. The Saul Goodman to their shenanigans. Less outright evil and more joyfully amoral.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 18, 2018

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Ok, last round of feedback for new apps.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Origin Story: Passable except for the supernatural heritage thing. The central conceit of the game's setting is that prior to the PCs getting their powers the world was essentially mundane and normal. Being the child of a literal demon from literal hell flies pretty squarely in the face of that. So this needs a rewrite.

Super-Ability

Devil's Tongue[+2]: So basically magical contracts?

Mundane Qualities

Good Looks[+2]: Seems fine.

Quid Pro Quo [+2]: Seems fine.

Stacks Of Cash[+2]: Seems fine.

Drawbacks

The White Picket Fence[-2]: Seems fine.

Demonic Heritage[-2]: See my backstory feedback above.

:siren::siren:Reminder: Deadline for apps is 11:59pm EDT on Friday (aka aproximately 26 hours from now). So make sure your character sheets have any changes you made edited into them since I'll be using the sheet itself when making picks.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Okay I decided to change the multilingual trait anyway, and I have given what I hope is a good hook to start off the game should I be picked.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yes, magical contracts and an expansive understanding of the law. All required changes made. She's the daughter of two professional scam artists now, and her second flaw has been changed to Paranoid [-2].

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Updated my super power per our discord convo.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Is my updated sheet okay? I didn't see any feedback on that.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Edited my power to make it clearer what Ivar looks like when transformed.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
:siren::siren::siren: Apps are closed. Picks will be made by Monday. :siren::siren::siren:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I know the anticipation is killing you. Why don't you go ahead and vote for who you think will get in?

Click here to vote.

EDIT: Voting is over

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 20, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I object;

Vince stopped being a conman in the first draft. He's a heister.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
I also object as I bowed out since I didn't catch the core premise.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Ok, taking their first steps in the career in supervillainy will be:

Theantero playing Anton McCormick,
LupusAlter playing Ivar Iverson,
Dinictus playing Franklin Rynn,
Ronwayne playing Desdemona Kilgore,
Iamcommunist playing Robert Kurth,
Shogeton playing Merryl Dawson, and
HiKaizer playing Allen Cornell.

If all accepted players can give me a little blurb on where you want to be at the start of the game I'd appreciate it. Assuming everyone gets their blurb posted, I'll try and have the game thread up sometime tomorrow evening.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I figure a good place to start is with Merryl, along with the few people that followed her from the cult she grew up in, making her way to some city in mid West Atlantica, where she's hoping to find faithful among the desperate and forlorn, get her cult set up, and starting to start some small fires here and there as she's getting used to her position.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Robert can be in anytown, Atlantica and living back in his parent's place post incident. Trying out and flexing his newfound powers in secret. His first headache coming on when he upped the frequency and intensity...

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Desdemona is taking time off to visit the folks and family back home, not out of anything resembling love or familial devotion, but to show off her paycheck and sneer at how much better she is than all her classmates who did lame stuff like be a doctor or lawyer and not a blood money contractor superstar.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Ivar is in his apartment near campus, trying to piece together information that could lead him to similar artifacts.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Anton is in his room at the campus of some prestigious university that he won a stipend to attend, likely experimenting with/documenting his powers.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Allen went to the junk yard, or wherever he can find a bunch of old machinery and electronics, to play with his power. Probably at night time so he does not get spotted (he hopes).

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Rynn probably has just made his way, or is making his way towards either underground sewers or an out-of-town bayou, depending on where you want to set the Komodo development lab, shortly after his escape.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
With over 60% of the popular vote, the completely meaningless People's Champion is...

:siren: O L I V I A C U V I E R :siren:

Congratulations to the Unlife Aquatic. You might not have made the final cut but you wrote a character that people thought was dope.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Gamethread is up.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
So I went ahead and made a bunch of headers. Hope these are to everyone's liking. Feel free to offer critiques or go 'I have a better image for this format,' since I mostly went with what you guys had submitted as art anyway.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 23, 2018

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Dinictus posted:

So I went ahead and made a bunch of headers. Hope these are to everyone's liking. Feel free to offer critiques or go 'I have a better image for this format,' since I mostly went with what you guys had submitted as art anyway.

This is hella nice! Thanks Dinictus

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Thanks a lot, but I have to point out that Ivar's surname is Isaakson.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

LupusAter posted:

Thanks a lot, but I have to point out that Ivar's surname is Isaakson.
gently caress, and here I thought I had double-checked. Apparently I haven't. I'll change that in a jiffy then.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 23, 2018

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Go with the live thread, Isaksson is correct.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Thanks for the headers. I'm amused Alan apparently is too good to look at anyone else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I'll be out of town this weekend, so next update will probably be about a week from now.

• Locked thread