Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

There are so many fights I would have loved to see Fedor in. I guess we’re getting Mir vs Fedor even if it is 15 years late. Couture and Barnett are the top of my wishlist for guys he should have fought but never did.

Fedor vs. Mir is going to be hysterical and awesome to see what part of their degraded toolkit gets used.

I think Mir is going to get hosed, though. I like Mir but his chin won't hold up to Fedor's fat man baseball punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
fedor had a huge entourage with magic people

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Fedor can't handle the combo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fedor is going to get beat by Chael Sonnen.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Garry Tonon making his MMA debut on one right now, livestream on Twitter

https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/977514141962321920

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'll reply in the B-league thread.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fedor is going to get beat by Chael Sonnen.

If Chael somehow bumblefucked his way into winning it would be the most Chael thing ever.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Captain Log posted:

If Chael somehow bumblefucked his way into winning it would be the most Chael thing ever.

IF chael unexpectedly ground Fedor into the mat for two rounds and then got viciously knocked out by a dumb loopy punch it would be both the most Charl and the most Fedor thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Does it really matter if Chael loses, since a year from now he'll be cutting promos about how he defeated Fedor regardless?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Jerusalem posted:

Does it really matter if Chael loses, since a year from now he'll be cutting promos about how he defeated Fedor regardless?

Chael always gets his heat back even after a loss, brother

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is Combat Challenge North East? It says they’re based out of England and looks like there are children matches which doesn’t seem legal

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kids matches are allowed in some places. Most places allow 16+ in some amateur fights. Depends entirely on the rules in the local jurisdiction.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

What the hell is Combat Challenge North East? It says they’re based out of England and looks like there are children matches which doesn’t seem legal

they're probably local to me. i doubt they're breaking any laws, you can fight at 16 (in boxing for sure, dunno about mma) and maybe younger with safety considerations. honestly i wouldnt look down on it anyway, council estate kids in the north east badly need something worthwhile to do with their time

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I've mentioned this before but I have seen literal children (like 8 year olds), fight with full pass and like hockey helmets with face shields.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I saw some little kids doing muay thai. They looked like miniature Michelin men going out there. It was pretty hilarious.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

vainman posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone use a cross guard with their lead hand above their rear hand before like Romero and I wonder if anyone here has and knows why he does that

Ran into this at random:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRPjJEuOOC0
Looks like most of the time, Gene Fullmer put the lead arm over the rear arm when going cross arm, though a couple of times he does it the usual way.
Norton's blending of the cross arm with blading his lead shoulder forward and using the rear hand to cover either side of the head is pretty nice.
And of course Moore is the undisputed master of turtling and picking off shots on his forearms.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
That's pretty rad, thanks for sharing that

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

fatherdog posted:

Ronda would probably beat the 5-10 male bantamweights but Mighty Mouse is a bad example because he would probably beat the 2-10 male bantamweights and possibly #1 as well.

I just clicked on this thread for the first time since 2015 and this was the first post that loaded for me. LOL

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Five Cent Deposit posted:

I just clicked on this thread for the first time since 2015 and this was the first post that loaded for me. LOL

This reminds me that I heard people genuinely saying a few years ago saying that Ronda could beat Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match :psyduck:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me that I heard people genuinely saying a few years ago saying that Ronda could beat Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match :psyduck:

it happened in here all the time until ronda lost to holm, people were just getting carried away cos she looked strong in her fights. kinda funny to see fatherdog saying it though since hes a bjj black belt and stuff

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

it happened in here all the time until ronda lost to holm, people were just getting carried away cos she looked strong in her fights. kinda funny to see fatherdog saying it though since hes a bjj black belt and stuff

I could imagine him saying she could beat him in an MMA match.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

kimbo305 posted:

Because she would. In an MMA match.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
[said to a youtube doubler of the benny hill theme and ronda running hysterically toward holly with her chin out while holly easilly keeps her at the end of her punches until ronda is brutally knocked out, and then the farce reverses and ronda is getting bashed up as holly chases her around]

Captain Log posted:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

all that kind of stuff is basically the same thing. theres some sports where i believe women can be superior to men at the top level such as ultramarathons but fighting isnt one of them and nobody should ever try to find out either

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I.N.R.I posted:

and nobody should ever try to find out either

this really can't be emphasised enough. the disparity is so huge and glaring that retarded people will cite it as evidence that god wills it that women can't possibly be ceo at a fortune 500. i'd rather a billion people think like fatherdog than have the entire planet find out unequivocally that a 135lb cm punk would bash ronda up badly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The funniest thing about people proclaiming Ronda as some kind of invincible destroyer is that they immediately decided that she was always terrible and started talking about Holm in the exact same way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember Holm's coaches getting high praise after she defeated Ronda, because they had apparently trained her specifically with Ronda as an opponent in mind.

Shame about all those other non-Ronda opponents Holm has faced since then :laugh:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
youd think people would have remembered the time top kickboxer lucia rijker got knocked out by some alleged australian muay thai champ and figured that no, a woman likely isnt beating a dude in a fist fight

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I think it was more that people just hate Floyd that much, and that people have trouble grasping abstract concepts like "feminism" and just felt like if they could see a woman they like punch a guy they don't like then that would solve gender inequality once and for all. The number of casual fans with no real sports knowledge who had strong opinions on Ronda was astronomical.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I'm just defending fatherdog's intellect by questioning that he ever said she could beat Floyd in a boxing match.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
You were a sexist if you thought money Floyd would brutally ko rowdy rhonda

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not going to break up Oildome chat in the UFC thread to ask this (seriously read the last few pages) but I have two questions:

Who was the first MMA fighter to earn a million dollars or more from a fight?

Which fight best shows off Vitor Belfort in all of his pure-horsemeat special-sauce glory?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

which fight was it where Vitor Belfort wrote jiu jitsu on his body and spent the fight beating the poo poo out of the guy with hia fists and then chanted jiu jitsu after

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

Which fight best shows off Vitor Belfort in all of his pure-horsemeat special-sauce glory?

Any of the fights between losing to Anderson Silva and losing to Chris Weidman, including losing to Jon Jones.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Memento posted:

Including sponsorships and points?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kimbo305 posted:

Including sponsorships and points?

Maybe not sponsorship, but like from the promoter, paycheque + points adding up to more than a million.

Listening to Big John McCarthy on Rogan's podcast he was saying that Lorenzo Fertitta told him once "I'm going to be the first MMA promoter to pay a fighter a million dollars for one fight" and I'm wondering when that milestone was passed.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Conor is the first UFC fighter to get paid $1 million in regular, disclosed pay. I wouldn't be surprised if Brock Lesnar or GSP cleared a million on payout+points for UFC 100, since they both pulled in $400k disclosed and it did a monstrous buyrate. When you factor in sponsorships and UFC under-the-table money there's probably a handful of Liddell/Couture/Tito-tier guys who made it at least once, but precise numbers are basically impossible to get.

I'm pretty sure Pride reported Fedor got $1 million in direct payouts at least once, and K-1 probably funneled dumptrucks of drug money into Bob Sapp's pockets.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

which fight was it where Vitor Belfort wrote jiu jitsu on his body and spent the fight beating the poo poo out of the guy with hia fists and then chanted jiu jitsu after

Bisping and rockhold

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Memento posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

I'm not going to break up Oildome chat in the UFC thread to ask this (seriously read the last few pages) but I have two questions:

Chuck would have been the first in UFC.

Did PRIDE pay out that much to Rickson?