Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

more like interviewing and recruiting: the turd💩

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Quite literally.

Four loving days, not even enough time to get my bearings, and I get this poo poo.

:^|

Here's to hoping I don't ride a motorcycle across a few states to a loving couch in SF or something.

How am I supposed to loving automagically know, immediately, how a project I am touching for the first time hosed up script inclusions for datepicker :psyduck:
Why did you tell me to ask questions and collaborate?

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 18, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

you worked for four days before signing an offer?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Corla Plankun posted:

you worked for four days before signing an offer?

I wasn't given a fully written one no. And it was contract to hire (cth) anyway.

because AWWA (the non profit) has lovely hiring practices :q:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it was a non-profit? i would have guessed startup from that description

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
also: don't you have a phd? go work for google or facebook or something, make $$$

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
ROFL no. I have an AA. At the end of my BSc I got a "mom got terminal cancer" dropout and just started working full time so she'd die slightly less miserably since medicare doesn't cover the poo poo that makes chemo not kill you, just chemo.

I have almost 6 years of experience :shrug:

Also this is the "offer letter"

What can I do?

Also yes their address is literally "6666"

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 18, 2018

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

just went to a happy hour for one of the places I’m interviewing and god drat it was super super nice. like might’ve just jumped to the top of my list nice.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

EVGA Longoria posted:

just went to a happy hour for one of the places I’m interviewing and god drat it was super super nice. like might’ve just jumped to the top of my list nice.

They like .NET guys?

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i am sorry for your lost but on the bright side at least they didn't wait a few months before showing you the door

also im in the drop everything for family bullshit boat but was able to finish my bs cs before having to do so
but go figure, customer service/sales/tech support experience dont mean poo poo when looking for junior software toucher positions

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Shaman Linavi posted:

i am sorry for your lost but on the bright side at least they didn't wait a few months before showing you the door

also im in the drop everything for family bullshit boat but was able to finish my bs cs before having to do so
but go figure, customer service/sales/tech support experience dont mean poo poo when looking for junior software toucher positions

Well since UI takes a while to come back if you take a job, even if it's 4 days, uhh, this could get me a bit evicted :smith:

I really don't need that following me around for years or stopping me from getting work because "background check"

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Space Whale posted:

Well since UI takes a while to come back if you take a job, even if it's 4 days, uhh, this could get me a bit evicted :smith:

I really don't need that following me around for years or stopping me from getting work because "background check"

can you apply for a line of credit or a personal loan to pay your necessary expenses while you wait for your UI check/find a job?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

meatpotato posted:

can you apply for a line of credit or a personal loan to pay your necessary expenses while you wait for your UI check/find a job?

lol nope, and no savings

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

What kind of software do you want to touch, maybe I can get you a Bay Area job...

Oh, C#, sorry, we don’t do windows :rolleyes:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Space Whale posted:

They like .NET guys?

don't think so, sorry. I do know there's plenty of places in atlanta that do, but it's not usually the cool places. I've heard about a few if you're in the area

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

DELETE CASCADE posted:

What kind of software do you want to touch, maybe I can get you a Bay Area job...

Oh, C#, sorry, we don’t do windows :rolleyes:

Considering I could squint and do Java, does that really matter? I guess learning Java build poo poo and the stream api vs .net build poo poo and linq might make someone wrinkle a nose?

I wouldn't mind python if I have to plang it up. Technically I've used node for automated JS web stuff so I've "done node,". Golang would be the bees knees. I also have a weird affection for C.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

EVGA Longoria posted:

don't think so, sorry. I do know there's plenty of places in atlanta that do, but it's not usually the cool places. I've heard about a few if you're in the area

I'm in Denver but hardly attached to this drat place.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

idk, maybe make a profile on StackOverflow if you don't have one yet. i've actually had pretty positive responses from mine (but no offers lol) and there seem to be a decent number of jobs in Denver on there

edit: also lying through your teeth about having family in the area works, thanks for the advice

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 18, 2018

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Shaman Linavi posted:

idk, maybe make a profile on StackOverflow if you don't have one yet. i've actually had pretty positive responses from mine (but no offers lol) and there seem to be a decent number of jobs in Denver on there

edit: also lying through your teeth about having family in the area works, thanks for the advice

BTDT

I actually do have fam out west in SD. Well, through my s/o.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

trip report on my take-home crypto challenge
7 hours later and i decrypted a few dank memes
i feel so insulted i don't even want to submit my code

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

post the memes

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Space Whale posted:

BTDT

I actually do have fam out west in SD. Well, through my s/o.

i dont know anything about anything, but isnt the first word in "cth" pretty important? what are the terms of your contract?

i guess its probably at-will "lol we dont need a reason; get hosed" language

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PokeJoe posted:

post the memes

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Raluek posted:

its at-will "get hosed"

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

PokeJoe posted:

post the memes

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

sry but i will respect the integrity of the challenge and instead post of a meme of similar quality

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaman Linavi posted:

sry but i will respect the integrity of the challenge and instead post of a meme of similar quality

:chloe:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaman Linavi posted:

you suck at making sandwiches?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it was a non-profit? i would have guessed startup from that description
most startups are, ultimately :v:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

how long do y’all wait between when someone was supposed to get back to you and a follow up? recruiter was supposed to get back to me Friday with some details she didn’t have at the time but nothing. don’t want to just immediately harass, but I kinda need to know the answers.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EVGA Longoria posted:

how long do y’all wait between when someone was supposed to get back to you and a follow up? recruiter was supposed to get back to me Friday with some details she didn’t have at the time but nothing. don’t want to just immediately harass, but I kinda need to know the answers.

in this scenario i’d maybe send an email at eod monday? if you need the info you need the info. everyone can get a little behind but if you had time to catch up on stuff over the weekend and it still didnt get done first thing monday, i am gonna poke you. thats my general feeling and not just with recruiters tho.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
recruiter asked me what it would take for me to take a role. the answer is obviously $$$, but is there a way to phrase that more professionally?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ploft-shell crab posted:

recruiter asked me what it would take for me to take a role. the answer is obviously $$$, but is there a way to phrase that more professionally?

"Opportunities for career growth"?

E: Oh, it's a recruiter? Tell them money.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Space Whale posted:

"Sorry, we forgot to realize you told us you're rusty on poo poo you haven't done in years, so bye"

The gently caress

sometimes I think companies are too big for their britches. they think they’re hot poo poo who only want to hire the best but really, by and large they’re useless gits who can’t tell their rear end from a home in the ground

and then they turn around and get mad when they can’t find a “perfect pick” and the closest ones to that are missing X technology or have Y-2 years of experience

it’d be a seller’s market if companies weren’t rip-poo poo stupid, as it is now we have to beg for table scraps from idiot startups who barely make enough to cover the electric bills

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pollyanna posted:

sometimes I think companies are too big for their britches. they think they’re hot poo poo who only want to hire the best but really, by and large they’re useless gits who can’t tell their rear end from a home in the ground

and then they turn around and get mad when they can’t find a “perfect pick” and the closest ones to that are missing X technology or have Y-2 years of experience

it’d be a seller’s market if companies weren’t rip-poo poo stupid, as it is now we have to beg for table scraps from idiot startups who barely make enough to cover the electric bills

Also they can literally import indentured servants from India. Gotta smash the proles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

full communism now cocksuckers

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pollyanna posted:

Full welfare state and thorough regulation of those means of production deemed not in need of nationalization under a Social Democratic ageis now cocksuckers

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Full Communism-but-I-still-get-paid-too-much-for-touching-computer Now Cocksuckers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pollyanna posted:

full communism and just retribution against all privileged computermen now cocksuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

wrong account stymie