Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Hey thread.

I aint had much chance to draw since my malcolm X picture I did. Sadly real life has gotten in the way of my progression! But I managed to finally pick up a stylus today and do some sketching!

Not to bad for like a month break. I like how somewere along the way I picked up an angular sketching style that now comes naturally to me.

EDIT:

I did some painting onto it and feel like it's finished now.

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Futzing around in illustrator

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Not sure how to feel about this piece. Usually I either like or hate my art but I feel more puzzled by this and I don't know why. Its weird to finish drawing something and not even know what to think about it.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Turns out drawing at 8 'o clock is a much better idea after all, so I did some more short hair practise on stream.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/996498770568339456

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF6Bq4NczcQ

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/996823002040979459

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

loving :laffo: at this goblin and its googly eyes. It's great!

My efforts today: Shampire

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
one of my friends said mystyle is starting to look like drawings of wood-cuttings.

So I automatically went "Well I gotta draw Groot."

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Dropped acid yesterday. Was much needed. Feel so much sharper and clear-headed currently. Used my newfound clarity to draw.

Inked my linework.

Mama cheeseburger tending to the burger nest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gay Bean Boy

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Dope concept. The innards/inside face/green portion of the cape are lacking volume though.

Edit: contour lines are gonna be the solution here

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 17, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Internet Kraken posted:

Not sure how to feel about this piece. Usually I either like or hate my art but I feel more puzzled by this and I don't know why. Its weird to finish drawing something and not even know what to think about it.

Well I like it. It's fun.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Double post

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I'm honestly not sure where I was going with this.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I've been trying to sketch out a little comic the past few days.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Don't try drawing old beardy men when you hate drawing hair.

gently caress you Marx.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dog nougat posted:

Dope concept. The innards/inside face/green portion of the cape are lacking volume though.

Edit: contour lines are gonna be the solution here

As per usual, its not my concept since its just fanart. The Mario & Luigi games have really good character designs.

Thanks for the feedback about the cape. I've wanted to try implementing hatching in more of my art but don't have much experience with using it to a notable extent. Also I may or may not have forgotten thje cape originally and ended up half-assing it because it was like 2 am :regd09:

The Dregs posted:

Well I like it. It's fun.

Thanks! :)

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm honestly not sure where I was going with this.

It makes me think of some mythical animal that judges your actions in life after death (spoilers: its always very disappointed in you)

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I drew a dinosaur!

Every once in a while I re-discover pencils... and then remember they're a pain in the rear end to scan (at least with my El Cheapo scanner). Thankfully Photoshop managed to bring this to a somewhat acceptable level.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

d3c0y2 posted:

Don't try drawing old beardy men when you hate drawing hair.

gently caress you Marx.

This is actually pretty solid. You have a solid foundation and good volume overall. The moustache bit is a bit flat, but it's not super noticeable.

Colored my mama cheeseburger.

Here's my pallet for anyone interested.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

dog nougat posted:

This is actually pretty solid. You have a solid foundation and good volume overall. The moustache bit is a bit flat, but it's not super noticeable.

Colored my mama cheeseburger.

Here's my pallet for anyone interested.

I love this cheeseburger.

I really, really like the way you've created the curve of the bun by using different perspective drops on the eyes.

And thank you regarding the hair. I'm making a concentrated effort to improve on it - but I dont think I'm ever going to "enjoy" it in the way I enjoy drawing faces. Creating the sort of wispish effect of hair seems at odds with my love of hard straight lines where possible.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/997538692758753286
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/997538860874780672

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Obligatory #MerMay, first test print. First time using quality wood, would wood again

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

This skull could be from a mermaid I guess?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I quite like this one, good job.

One more short hair practise sheet from me.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/997600313736654848

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Slug Witch WIP

Using a barrel sponge as a cauldron would be terrible in practice but I liked the idea too much not to draw it.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Pentaro posted:

I drew a dinosaur!

Every once in a while I re-discover pencils... and then remember they're a pain in the rear end to scan (at least with my El Cheapo scanner). Thankfully Photoshop managed to bring this to a somewhat acceptable level.

Yesssss chickins!
There was a hint posted upthread about watercolours scanning better if you scan it, turn it upside-down, then scan it again. Then you do a digital turnaround on the upside-down one and layer the two on top of each other and lower the opacity of whichever layer is on top to 50%. That's supposed to mitigate the blotchiness from the paper texture that gets picked up when scanning because the light hitting the "bumps" from the scanner has a direction, and the two scans are lighted in opposite directions and cancel each other out. I don't know if it would work for pencils, but might be worth a shot?

dupersaurus posted:

Obligatory #MerMay, first test print. First time using quality wood, would wood again

What makes a carving wood good? I've only tried carving the lithoboards a couple of times ages ago.
It's a shame the print didn't pick up the slight smile, do you plan on doing any on coloured paper? I think the carving suits your style really well!

I have joined the mermay.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sharpest Crayon posted:

What makes a carving wood good? I've only tried carving the lithoboards a couple of times ages ago.
It's a shame the print didn't pick up the slight smile, do you plan on doing any on coloured paper? I think the carving suits your style really well!

It’s all about the grain and how well it holds together. This is basswood so it’s about the consistency of lino, but good carving basswood instead of lovely Michaels basswood. You can go up to harder woods like cherry or maple which are harder to cut, but hold fine lines better and last for more presses than lino.

I want to get some cream or off white paper, but probably no real colors.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i dont even know

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Did some more work on that sketch.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

id actually like some critique on this (i realozed while typing this the reflection isnt properly mirrored)

Al! fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 20, 2018

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Really fun life drawing today (I exaggerated her legs in the bottom one)

Another painting

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Al! posted:

id actually like some critique on this (i realozed while typing this the reflection isnt properly mirrored)

Aside from the reflection error you mentioned, the window appears to lack depth. She's supposed to be sitting on the window sill but aside from her shadow its all one solid grey mass. So it looks like a flat design surrounding the window rather than a physical space she could be occupying. Just slightly changing the shading on the window sill would prevent that but I'm sure you already know that and just overlooked it.

Its still cool though.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
The gnome sisters in my D&D campaign fought the Necrodancer last night. He has jazz hands. I can't figure out how to make the camers not wash the colors out. it is so much nicer in person.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
This is what I worked on this week while I was out of town for a death in the family.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 20, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

I've only got a few minor notes: that the windowsill looks 2d because her head should be resting against it, currently her hair rests over it, "in front" of the space she's lounging in. Also, the foot on the bent leg is a bit bigger than on the straightened one.
You could maybe give her skin a bit of a highlight, like you've done with her pants to define her resting arm shape a bit more, or just to outline her silhouette? It's currently so similar to the background that it gets a bit lost.
Compositionally, I think I'd add a small animated spot on the left side of the pic as well. The pic's horizontally pretty long, and at least my eyes travel easily first over from right to left and then finds no point to bounce back to the busier part from. I'm not sure if this is true for others.
Other than that, good job on improving with figures, this feels natural and looks good!

dupersaurus posted:

It’s all about the grain and how well it holds together. This is basswood so it’s about the consistency of lino, but good carving basswood instead of lovely Michaels basswood. You can go up to harder woods like cherry or maple which are harder to cut, but hold fine lines better and last for more presses than lino.

I want to get some cream or off white paper, but probably no real colors.

Cheers on the info! I was already thinking that you'd defo dig out turquoise paper to do gold-coloured presses on.

JoshTheStampede posted:

This is what I worked on this week while I was out of town for a death in the family.

I love the colours in this one, the bit of yellowish green shining through the hair and the red shining in the skinshadows.

I returned to the previous theme with a reference pic this time and I still can't quite get it the way I want it. This time of the year, when walking out at night, the sky varies in colour from underwater turquoise to deep dark blue and the yellow streetlights make the bright green new leaves on the trees just glow with energy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i dunno it captures that feeling pretty excellent for me, if i had to nitpick however it seems like the lamplight is travelling a little far for that time of day, and there might be a little more reflection from the dimming sky

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I really liked working on this. Lots of fun colors.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I started school so my free time disappeared overnight but heh....

..........like that'd stop me from drawing dogs........

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/998410985835778048
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/998651133819260928
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/998651214710624256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I don't know poo poo about poo poo, especially lighting, and man that made this frustrating. Gave up after two hours.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/998656856850665472

Sure wish drawing didn't have the ability to make me depressed so quickly.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 21, 2018