Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blacknose posted:

This picture is loving great.

Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, WHATSUP MOTHERFUCKERS LETS PARTY

Seriously, everything about that is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
This thread is amazing and has me wishing I had a garage instead of a car port full of not-cool cars and a not-cool motorcycle. :(

Thrasher, if you were to decide that you want to make it a hopper one day, aside from boxing the frame/reinforcing/praying to the car gods for safe jumping, do you need to upgrade the hydraulics? It looked like your setup is pretty drat big for the car, but what do I know?

Sometimes I wonder about the engineering and thought that goes into hopping a low rider and I imagine it’s probably twice as complicated as I think it is.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Ripoff posted:

This thread is amazing and has me wishing I had a garage instead of a car port full of not-cool cars and a not-cool motorcycle. :(

Thrasher, if you were to decide that you want to make it a hopper one day, aside from boxing the frame/reinforcing/praying to the car gods for safe jumping, do you need to upgrade the hydraulics? It looked like your setup is pretty drat big for the car, but what do I know?

Sometimes I wonder about the engineering and thought that goes into hopping a low rider and I imagine it’s probably twice as complicated as I think it is.

Not a lot more I'd need to do actually and it's not too complicated. It's just physics and how much power you need to throw at it.

I have 8" cylinders in the front and this is plenty.. with all 6 batteries in series @ 72V the front pump will lift the car off the ground in a couple of well timed hits of the switch. If I want to get any decent height I'd really need more batteries to run the front pump faster, maybe a 2nd pump for up front. The rear bumper will hit the ground first though, so I'd need longer rear cylinders. And yes, definitely frame reinforcement. (You can also get fat cylinders that can handle more stress.. I think that’s extreme though)

With 10" cylinders in the rear its enough for me right now.. I may want to upgrade to 12" or 14" so that I can do a mean 3 wheel.. but I don't want to lose my rear shocks and I think 12" is my max for this.

In the future I plan to take the whole car apart and wrap the frame in 3/16 steel, add a 3rd pump etc. we'll see where it goes.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 17, 2018

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Blacknose posted:

This picture is loving great.

Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, WHATSUP MOTHERFUCKERS LETS PARTY

Yeah, It's weekly Exotic car show held minutes from the Microsoft campus in Redmond, Wa. in the summer. I showed up late, but they let me in anyway (Cut off it at 9A, I showed up at like 10:30A), The classics section was full, so they found space in the Ferrari section. The Ferrari guys were getting pissed, people were walking right past the Ferraris to my car, lol.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
And why wouldn't they? Who gives a poo poo about an old Ferrari compared to that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

In my head you just rolled in driving a nicely minty old Chevy and then when parked up started hitting switches at which point the purists rolled their eyes.

Ferraris are undeniably nice cars but that thing is cooler than cool.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Some parts arrived and I was able to fix a few things..

Took off the old water thermometer housing that was causing a clearance issue for the Dakoka Digital sender. Cleaned up the area and noticed the mechanical thermostat valve itself was in upside down (spring on top)?? I also noticed the top few threads in the manifold were stripped for one side of the housing. I needed a longer bolt

Noticed the vacuum plugs on the carburetor were cracking so I replaced those too..

New housing in place now, much better. No longer pushes against the digital sender.

Also the petcock for the radiator was leaking so ripped that out and replaced it with a new one.

Then it was time to fix the speedometer pulse generator. The new extension cable is about 7" long.. added a tiny bit of graphite for inside the cable and attached the pulse generator.

Had to remove one linkage rod to get at the speedometer gear bullet.

New extension in place and tied down the sender and electrical cables.

I can tell how fast I'm driving now.. this completes the dash cluster.

Hold on though.... something I noticed while under the car..

Looks like we have a leak on the passenger side rear cylinder. :(

I was going to tackle a parking brake solution next but probably now need to find the source of this leak.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Leaking hydraulic suspension? Welcome to my world, friend!

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Leaking hydraulic suspension? Welcome to my world, friend!

Turns out a jic fitting was not tight enough.. cranked that up right. No more leaks.

Needed a pipe wrench on the hose side so the swivel connector would slip, else the tension on the hose would just loosen the jic fitting over time.

I also managed to get to a local cruise night and attempted to pull a Budget Monty ‘what’s up motherfuckers!’.. there were no Ferraris and I can’t 3-wheel yet, so.. at least I gave it what I got!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hell yeah :rock:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That looks perfect :)

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Still mulling over the parking brake setup.. so I decide to replace the grille in the mean time.

Old and dinged up, flaking paint, damaged trim, etc.

Took forever to get off with a ton of bolts in many difficult places. Probably would have been easier to remove the bumpers first.

I found that the lower grille lip plate above the bumper was only fastened in on the drivers side of the car... the passenger side left loose to rattle around?

I took the time to remove rust spots from the light eyelids and did some detail cleanup on the chevy grille badge. Silvo metal polish and a dremel buffing wheel, plus some new black paint for contrast.

Brand new OER grille and all new trim in original style. Most 64' lowriders I've seen have the grille fully polished or chromed out and I wanted to keep the original look. I did however paint the mounting brackets that are on either end of the grille gloss black.

Finished with the headlight bezels.

.. part of me wants to paint the headlight bezels gloss black as well .. not sure about that yet.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 11, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thrasher posted:

.. part of me wants to paint the headlight bezels gloss black as well .. not sure about that yet.

You can do no wrong given what we've seen so far. Looks awesome!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That number plate still making me laugh... So good.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Looks great, totally love your car. Makes me consider bagging my truck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

shy boy from chess club posted:

Looks great, totally love your car. Makes me consider bagging my truck.

I'd normally say do it, but old trucks look so much better just static dropped.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

I'd normally say do it, but old trucks look so much better just static dropped.

Thats the current plan, low as I can where I wont have to notch the frame in the back.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Thats the current plan, low as I can where I wont have to notch the frame in the back.

But still high enough to clear speed bumps and raised intersections..

A guy at the cruise night I met here had a dropped 50’s Chevy truck and he mentioned he always hit the ground.. really wished he had bagged it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

You can do wjat, like a 6/8 on those without a notch?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

You can do wjat, like a 6/8 on those without a notch?

If he's talking the C10, 4" is about max without a notch. It's what I'm at and I honestly wish I had a notch, there's gently caress-all travel on the rear suspension right now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bags mean you can go anywhere, I don't see why you wouldn't go that direction if you could. Drive wherever, drop in whenever you like...

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

drat right you should bag it if you’re able.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
lmao that is so good

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Thread update time!

Ok so this post may cause some lowrider aficionados to scoff but I really want my car to be fully compliant with Ontario safety standards and this means having front shocks. If I don't have them and get into an accident my insurance would find some way to deem the car unfit and void any claim etc... or maybe some cop is having a bad day and wants to cause some stress and force an inspection.. anyways less headaches, and a smoother ride too.

So I purchased some brackets and some KYB shocks w/ mounting hardware. These brackets are designed to mount the shock behind the lower control arm.

Here is a problem tho, I'm going to have to re-route the brake lines:

Also this fun mangled bracket for the clutch z-bar which I guess the previous owner needed to fix somehow.. time to get rid of that:

Cleaned up the area and clamped the bracket on for a test fitting:

One end of the clutch z-bar mounts into the engine block and the other end has a bolt that has flat sides which would fit in the original frame bracket:

I decided i would augment the shock bracket to accept this bolt in a slot for ease of removing the z-bar when needed. Doing so would place the shock bracket in the way of the existing z-bar arm that attaches to the clutch pedal rod through the firewall.. so we needed to move those. Dad helps with this job:

Adding the slot to the shock bracket:

Since we cut into the bracket I decided to add some reinforcement steel. The hydraulics will put some decent force on these shocks so I didn't want the brackets to fatigue with the slot added.

Testing the shock placement before welding things on the frame:

Welded on the bracket and control arm bolt for the shock.. and painted things black to stop any rust:

Almost forgot about the brake lines.. I went out and bought a flange tool, bender, brake line, and brake fluid:

Time to put it all together now.. Shock is mounted and brake line back in:

z-bar back in place with the new mount and augmented bracket for the pedal rod through the firewall.. just clears the top of the shock mount itself:

And well.. the other side needed to be done too:

REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR WORKSPACE TIDY:

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 23, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

How have I missed this thread? I love lowriders. I missed someone ditching an early '70s Cadillac that was all ate up with pumps and switches by a half hour and I was gutted.

All the 5s and love for this thread.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

One key thing that needed to be done and was bothering me was replace the headers. The full length headers would touch the ground at the collector when the car was lowered.

So let’s rip all that out!

I ripped out the headers, the mufflers, and the starter.

I had bought new set of hedman shortys / block huggers with a 2.5” collector. Also bought a set of glasspacks and a flowmaster stainless steel exhaust kit.

A stainless exhaust needs stainless welding wire and tri-mix gas.. I didn’t want the welds to rust and look like poo poo over time. I bought a spool of wire on amazon and ordered a 75cf tank of He/Ar/Co2.

Putting the new headers on was relatively easy, just needed to remove the clutch z-bar again, the alternator and it’s mount, and the starter for the passenger side which I already pulled. I also pulled out the spark plugs and bought new ones.

The glasspacks I bought to match the new exhaust pipe with a 2.5” inlet and outlet. I wasn’t going to replace all the rear exhaust just yet and the existing rear pipe was 2.25” so I needed to weld on an adapter.

I used stainless band clamps to mount the glasspacks in and then fitted some of the flowmaster pipe in place and marked it for various cuts.. I only had to use 4 pieces of the kit.. one ‘S’ bend per side and another 45 deg bend per side.

The rest of the fitting would need some tighter bends so I went with pie slices

Welded things up and then used a wire wheel with the angle grinder to make things clean. Not exactly the stack-of-dimes clean beads with the mig but I think I did OK.

Dad helps weld the other side.. this one I added in a bend to clear the starter.

All back in and when fully lowered nothing hits the ground. Lowest point on the car is the frame itself with 1/2” clearance.

Dex approves!

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 24, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's legit but I have one question. HOW DOES IT SOUND?

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's legit but I have one question. HOW DOES IT SOUND?

WHAT??! :)

Sounds mean as hell. Great low end rumble and when you hammer the gas it’s like a straight pipe chopper bike opening up. Lots of punch and not thin or tinny at all.

The neighbors are going to hate me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well before they do, get us some audio please!

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufQzwdqw1Kg

My 71 yr old father cant resist hitting the switches.. he's like a kid in a candy store.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can't blame him honestly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thrasher posted:

My 71 yr old father cant resist hitting the switches.. he's like a kid in a candy store.

Everything about this car man, it's perfect. :allears:

and your dad is cool af.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

and your dad is cool af.

drat straight.. I mean how cool is this for style?

Canadian tire shaded goggles, 80’s leather jacket, yellow gardening gloves, some old bathing suit, and a pair of loving crocs with socks on. Totally safe welding apparel. :colbert:

On another note.. here is the comparison of original starter to mini starter I had to swap in for the exhaust clearance.

This item arrived late so I swapped it in today.. The original one did barely fit but the exhaust pipe was right up against it.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 28, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That exhaust note is perfect.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Thrasher posted:

Heyyyy that car is fuckin dope. Way to go!!!

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Mcqueen posted:

Heyyyy that car is fuckin dope. Way to go!!!

:hfive: thanks man!

A boat load of parts just arrived at the border for the next few projects.. but the car will need to go to storage for the winter before any of that happens.

What does everyone think of halo headlights? I was looking at the dapper lighting kits as they sell a drop in kit for the 64.. e.g:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

oh poo poo that looks gnarly

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, with the warm halo's it looks good. If it would be a cooler light I would strongly vote no.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bajaha posted:

Yeah, with the warm halo's it looks good. If it would be a cooler light I would strongly vote no.

That was going to be my comment. No white LEDs, but the look on that car with dimmer warm halos would be fantastically aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Thrasher posted:

What does everyone think of halo headlights?
No, no, no, no, no, absolutely loving not! Why would you ruin such a beautiful vehicle in such a stupid wa-

I am extremely erect.