Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Xander77 posted:

Time to delete literally everything.

Or at least burn down the Alpha Protocol page and start from scratch.

Can i interest you in doing a restructure for Arcanum, too, please? Both read like poo poo in the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xander77 posted:

the true spirit of this thread

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

OutofSight posted:

Can i interest you in doing a restructure for Arcanum, too, please? Both read like poo poo in the moment.
I actually gave up on that one and wrote my own. It's not that much better, but at least it has subsections.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xander77 posted:

Did the same thing for the Persona 3/4 and FFTactics pages. :respek:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
With all the hype going around Pillars of Eternity 2, I wanted to give the first one another try. Is the page on the wiki still current for Pillars of Eternity 1? Because I think I remember some big rebalancing patch happening somewhat later in the game's lifetime.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

When does the DLC for SteamWorld Heist become available? Does it take place after the main game? Or is it integrated into the campaign?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Fully integrated into the campaign; I got the disc version, and didn't realize it was DLC until I had just about beaten the game.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Xander77 posted:

I actually gave up on that one and wrote my own. It's not that much better, but at least it has subsections.

I've not played this game but edit the wiki frequently, but your poo poo seems considerably more readable, while being more comprehensive. Straight up replacing the wiki page with what you've written doesn't seem like a mistake. But, if you don't want to do that, I'd strongly suggest at least putting a link to your guide on the wiki. I'd do it but it feels weird to do such a thing without permission.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
PMush Perfect is right, the FFT page ( http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_Tactics ) is a bit of a mess and doesn't touch on some of the big PSP changes. That game can get pretty drat deep but there's a lot of fluff/repeated info in there or stuff that is very niche. These can be removed imo and I included some comments:

Early battles, much like Deus Ex, will be boring! This is because your characters just can't do much other than use items and hit stuff. Hold out! As your characters start advancing in other jobs, the strategic options will open up.
(^^^ Pointless)

There is no benefit to mastering a job. If you ever feel you have all the worthwhile abilities for a job, move on to another one.
(^^^ The only way to unlock Dark Knight is by mastering Knight and Black Mage, PSP version only)

The more advanced classes gain more stats per level and the Mime has the best growth.
(^^^ Not true. Even focusing on a Mime isn't that big of a deal. Speed is the only unique stat to worry about when it comes to leveling jobs)

Summons will only target enemies or allies, never both. So you can target an ally who will move before the summon goes off and march them up into a group of enemies for some nice damage.
(^^^ Repeated on the wiki)

Never use flails or axes, their damage is too random.
(^^^ These use a damage range, just an odd entry)

Spam Accumulate/buffs to build 10 experience.
(^^^ Wiki has too much poo poo on it already)

The Monk/Ninja stuff could probably be condensed as there's numerous mentions of their mechanics, same with CT/AI management, and ingame trappings can even be its own category with how much is in the wiki (Ramza's build, gear to buy, multiple saves etc). I wrote up some of the PSP changes a while back, but the page is too drat busy as it is.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xythe posted:

I'd do it but it feels weird to do such a thing without permission.
Go ahead, if you want. I really don't think "this guide is too cluttered and hard to read - here's a link to a better guide instead" is the right solution though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im planning to play Monster Hunter World with my friend who has played the game for couple hundred hours.

What are some good tips when starting the game? I like the look of Gunlance and Charge Blade so Ill probably try these two first

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Turn off auto-sheathe and set radial menu to R3 click.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Any help for Starbound? My grown son and I are going to play it today for Mother's day (we always do a multiplay of some game so he doesn't have to spend money on me) and I'd like to at least have some idea of what to do.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lorini posted:

Any help for Starbound? My grown son and I are going to play it today for Mother's day (we always do a multiplay of some game so he doesn't have to spend money on me) and I'd like to at least have some idea of what to do.

I have no tips, but this is sweet as hell

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Well, at least everything is in separate categories, instead of one big mess?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Alpha_Protocol

I tried not to delete anything I didn't contribute myself / wasn't an obvious repeat, but yeah... some cleansing fire might be required.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

WaltherFeng posted:

Im planning to play Monster Hunter World with my friend who has played the game for couple hundred hours.

What are some good tips when starting the game? I like the look of Gunlance and Charge Blade so Ill probably try these two first

The wiki has some decent tips. http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Monster_Hunter:_World

-Every weapon plays differently and the game doesn't tell you all of their moves. Look up videos and try everything in the training arena. You can load into the training area from the housekeeper in your room or from the zoomed out world map. Also, ammo is unlimited in there, so craft (and keep) one of everything for the bows and bowguns.

-Pick a main weapon and a backup weapon. It's good to have a ranged option for certain monsters.

-Hitting and running is a valid strategy, especially if you've never fought a monster before and don't know how big of an opening there is to attack.

-One of the most important moves in this game involves sheathing your weapon and dodging away from a monster. Normally you roll, but in this case you will do a superman dive that makes you invincible for a few seconds.

exquisite tea posted:

Turn off auto-sheathe and set radial menu to R3 click.

Wait, how do you pin things on the map then?

I should add that you can change the camera setting from locked to target. The default can make people feel sick.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Lorini posted:

it's a p chill game and a good choice for this. basically the tech gates are obvious and tied to quests in the quest book so it's kinda hard to ever not know what you should be doing.

Growing stuff to get food and plant fibers seems like a bigger deal at first than it winds up being in the longrun, just cuz it's so easy to make some p bombass food off poo poo you forage alone once you're enough of a hardass to just clean out the surface of a new planet.

So like as far as planets go, the skinny's this:

more dangerous planets have better poo poo (important for the tech gating bit) but are tougher. In general there's effectively unlimited of all kinds of planets and stripping the surface/raiding settlements is an easy way to get stuff fast. Also while for the most part settlements are there for you to loot and murder, trading with some of em can get you poo poo you want/need. Some dudes are just straight up hostile no matter what though so be prepared to kill anyone you meet.

The whole build-your-own-settlement mechanic doesn't do anything really worthwhile enough to recommend it but is a fun enough diversion since it's not like it's hard either.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Couple wrong game titles:

Mario Galaxy -> Super Mario Galaxy

Fallout: Tactics -> Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

chairface posted:

it's a p chill game and a good choice for this. basically the tech gates are obvious and tied to quests in the quest book so it's kinda hard to ever not know what you should be doing.

Growing stuff to get food and plant fibers seems like a bigger deal at first than it winds up being in the longrun, just cuz it's so easy to make some p bombass food off poo poo you forage alone once you're enough of a hardass to just clean out the surface of a new planet.

So like as far as planets go, the skinny's this:

more dangerous planets have better poo poo (important for the tech gating bit) but are tougher. In general there's effectively unlimited of all kinds of planets and stripping the surface/raiding settlements is an easy way to get stuff fast. Also while for the most part settlements are there for you to loot and murder, trading with some of em can get you poo poo you want/need. Some dudes are just straight up hostile no matter what though so be prepared to kill anyone you meet.

The whole build-your-own-settlement mechanic doesn't do anything really worthwhile enough to recommend it but is a fun enough diversion since it's not like it's hard either.

Thanks!

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

PRL412 posted:

The wiki has some decent tips. http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Monster_Hunter:_World

-Every weapon plays differently and the game doesn't tell you all of their moves. Look up videos and try everything in the training arena. You can load into the training area from the housekeeper in your room or from the zoomed out world map. Also, ammo is unlimited in there, so craft (and keep) one of everything for the bows and bowguns.

-Pick a main weapon and a backup weapon. It's good to have a ranged option for certain monsters.

-Hitting and running is a valid strategy, especially if you've never fought a monster before and don't know how big of an opening there is to attack.

-One of the most important moves in this game involves sheathing your weapon and dodging away from a monster. Normally you roll, but in this case you will do a superman dive that makes you invincible for a few seconds.

- Try out weapon moves in the training area but actually try them in combat in the actual arena. Not only do you have more carts (8 I think) but your inventory is not used as well.

- Sometimes it is more efficient to craft on the fly. Flash pods have a Max carry of 3, but only require 1 flashbug to craft, and they have a Max carry of 10. Sticking the flash pods on your radial menu will allow you to craft it before equipping.

- since your friends are hundreds of hours ahead of you it might be nice to ask them to gear down so your hunts are not a total cakewalk.

PRL412 posted:

Wait, how do you pin things on the map then?
The adjustment means you select the radial item by hitting R3 instead of just letting go of the r stick.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Any general tips for the Civilization 6?

I just upgraded to a rig that can actually run it, and on my first test run on warlord level I stumbled onto the cultural victory when I was era ahead of everyone else and was sort of just trying poo poo out.

I used to play single player SM-BERT on the higher difficulty settings, but was somehow completely lost at some of the finer points of this game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Pillars of Eternity that's not on the wiki?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Couple wrong game titles:

Mario Galaxy -> Super Mario Galaxy

Fallout: Tactics -> Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

Thank you! I've moved these pages.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Hyrule Warriors? The Switch version comes out on Friday.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RatHat posted:

Anything for Hyrule Warriors? The Switch version comes out on Friday.

:same:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The story mode is kind of short, but fun. The meat of the game is in the adventure mode and all the different levels in there.

Being a Dynasty Warriors game, It's nothing too difficult, except the adventure mode levels sometimes have really difficult requirements. They also force you into playing as different characters, so try keeping everyone upgraded, and with the strongest weapons you can.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there any mods I need to make the original Witcher playable? I want to finally get around to it but no buttons worked after the awesome opening movie and I know it was playable at one point because I have a save I can't access.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any mods I need to make the original Witcher playable? I want to finally get around to it but no buttons worked after the awesome opening movie and I know it was playable at one point because I have a save I can't access.

I hate suggesting this, but honestly you'd be better off skipping it and moving straight to 2. Witcher 1 is an exercise in frustration; read a story summary and move on to the much better sequel (and the MUCH better trilogy cap).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I hate suggesting this, but honestly you'd be better off skipping it and moving straight to 2. Witcher 1 is an exercise in frustration; read a story summary and move on to the much better sequel (and the MUCH better trilogy cap).

That said, if you truly want to play W1 it should still function, I know some mad bastards who played it recently and had it run fine. I think it might be less of a mod thing and maybe something with your computer

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Witcher 1 is amazing there we just had the argument that always happens here

Edit: Its combos are rhythm-based and I never felt like an utter failure at life as a result unlike in 2 where everyone dies in the tutorial. But I am sure 2 is still a great game and maybe some day I will actually not give up in frustration after the tutorial

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
No mods should be needed just to make it work. The only similar issue on the PC gaming wiki concerns the mouse cursor not being visible in the main menu, fixed by pressing shift.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Witcher 1 is amazing there we just had the argument that always happens here

Edit: Its combos are rhythm-based and I never felt like an utter failure at life as a result unlike in 2 where everyone dies in the tutorial. But I am sure 2 is still a great game and maybe some day I will actually not give up in frustration after the tutorial

Yeah it's not bad, my only argument was against putting in effort to get it working of it wasn't.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Kanfy posted:

No mods should be needed just to make it work. The only similar issue on the PC gaming wiki concerns the mouse cursor not being visible in the main menu, fixed by pressing shift.

I'll have to try that later. Edit: That worked. I wish every gaming issue was that easy to solve.

I forgot to ask earlier is there anything important to know about Subnautica now that it's been updated a bunch and I think actually released? I loaded it up earlier and was extremely happy to see it now tells you what you need to make things. I can't remember if it did before but if not it's a very welcome change.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 18, 2018

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

juliuspringle posted:

I installed a mod that increased your base running speed. There's so much back-and-forth running, especially at the start of the game, that it gets really tedious. The game's totally playable otherwise, but for the sake of expediency, I'd strongly recommend it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Even if you enjoy difficult games, just suck it up and play the early Witchers on Easy. I've tried multiple times to mod the combat into something more fun but each time has resulted in total failure that ultimately ended in me dropping the game due to frustrating combat.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Even if you enjoy difficult games, just suck it up and play the early Witchers on Easy. I've tried multiple times to mod the combat into something more fun but each time has resulted in total failure that ultimately ended in me dropping the game due to frustrating combat.
I. Um. What?

You can say that the combat in TW1 is simplistic, but there's nothing complicated or difficult about it. Just use the appropriate potions and fighting style. As someone with incredibly bad reflexes, I played through TW1 on Hard, and died less than a dozen times total, including the infamously unfair boss fights.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 18, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I. Um. What?

You can say that the combat in TW1 is simplistic, but there's nothing complicated or difficult about it. Just use the appropriate potions and fighting style. As someone with incredibly bad reflexes, I played through TW1 on Hard, die less than a dozen times total, including the infamously unfair boss fights.

And then in Witcher 2, the combat is rolling around like a maniac to avoid getting hit once and losing 75% of your health, while having to hit the enemy 32 times to kill it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

juliuspringle posted:

I'll have to try that later. Edit: That worked. I wish every gaming issue was that easy to solve.

I forgot to ask earlier is there anything important to know about Subnautica now that it's been updated a bunch and I think actually released? I loaded it up earlier and was extremely happy to see it now tells you what you need to make things. I can't remember if it did before but if not it's a very welcome change.

I've encountered a lot of glitches involving the duffel bags sometimes found in wreckages, so don't pick those up. Or do if you want to gently caress stuff up.

Minor tech-tree spoilers:
I placed one in my Cyclops, because I like role-playing and decorating in these kinds of games, and it made it freak out, clip through my base, and make the inside of my base fill with water.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xander77 posted:

I. Um. What?

You can say that the combat in TW1 is simplistic, but there's nothing complicated or difficult about it. Just use the appropriate potions and fighting style. As someone with incredibly bad reflexes, I played through TW1 on Hard, and died less than a dozen times total, including the infamously unfair boss fights.

I wasn't trying to say that it was too hard, just that it wasn't fun. I feel like the less time you spend doing the combat, the more time you can spend doing the fun things. I guess that's a pretty subjective opinion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I picked up Witcher 1 a month ago and gave up after two hours. Am I all thumbs or is the combat really that bad?