Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

algebra testes posted:

Av club mentioned they interupt someone getting sexually assaulted and its played for laughs which considering that the screeners were three episodes means it has to be this week.

I like my idea better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Couldn't stand Noircher, glad that they switched courses for something more entertaining this season. Also they've already had more laughs in the first two eps than all of last season combined.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

algebra testes posted:

Av club mentioned

Ha. Of course it was the AV Club. Let's all get in our safe spaces and drink our hot chocolate and prepare for this awful storm.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's the only way. If they don't do it, this show is absolutely dead to me.

Last season was the first one I couldn't finish. I just do not give a single solitary gently caress about Archer's coma dreams. Literally nothing of any importance or note is happening in these seasons. It's not even recognizably the same goddamn characters other than Archer himself. There is nothing for me in these stupid goddamn loving coma-dream seasons and I just want them to end so this show can get one last season of poo poo I slightly care about. But I have a feeling that's too much to ask, and it's just going to be more stupid loving coma bullshit in the last season.

I stopped watching Archer when they suddenly started talking about feelings all the time and trying to inject actual relationship drama. Too much loving talking about serious emotional poo poo. This show was only good when Archer was an unrepentant rear end in a top hat and all his co-workers assholes, idiots, or the occasional competent person stuck with them.

Also Archer Vice annoyed me because they lost the balls to show them successfully selling cocaine. Frisky Dingo would have sold the cocaine and then half the characters would have OD'd on it. The edge got real lost from the start of the show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

algebra testes posted:

problematic joke

I think everyone that legitimately uses the term "problematic joke" should be thrown in the volcano

ED: Maybe just anyone who says problematic, it's a meme for morons in 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Please don't trigger me while I watch my show about awful people doing awful things!
I'd like to enjoy my dead hooker jokes in a safe space.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mulderman posted:

Please don't trigger me while I watch my show about awful people doing awful things!
I'd like to enjoy my dead hooker jokes in a safe space.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you only call them hookers when they're dead, right? (It's been a while since I watched that episode.)

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

An exceptionally well-made bit of fun, like Archer always is.

They've got a ten season run, this is how they want to do it. Relax and enjoy it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Last season was a slog and this season seems like the same, sadly

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

tarlibone posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you only call them hookers when they're dead, right? (It's been a while since I watched that episode.)

I believe so. Avoid all the ambiguity and just sexually assault a gyro.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My friend told me that the first episode of Danger Island was like the first one from last season, which was just setting it up for the season-long arc. Problem is, it's clear that Archer can't tell a season-long story worth a drat. Archer Vice was godawful and Dreamland was underwhelming and short on laughs. Season 7 was the last decent one. So I suppose I'll pass on this one. We'll always have Season 2, which is the strongest non-Simpsons season of a television comedy I've ever seen.

Speaking of, is anyone ITT watching this just because they think they're in too deep, a la Walking Dead? I just don't get that feeling with shows I was loyal to at one point. I dropped the latest season of Broad City midway through.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Ha. Of course it was the AV Club. Let's all get in our safe spaces and drink our hot chocolate and prepare for this awful storm.
It's amazing how terrible they got once Univision took them over. They went from enjoying pop culture for what it is to just another site that gives a political litmus test to everything. And half the time it's either sponsored content or not even about the subject they're ostensibly about- so just another Gawker spinoff site.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Danger Island may have an arc but it's a lot funnier than Dreamland was.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had problems with Vice but it was still a lot funnier to me than Dreamland was. This show is not built for season-long storytelling (particularly one where the story doesn't matter because we know it's a dream).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Speaking of, is anyone ITT watching this just because they think they're in too deep, a la Walking Dead? I just don't get that feeling with shows I was loyal to at one point. I dropped the latest season of Broad City midway through.

Yes :(

Also the episodes are criminally short. But it's at the bottom of my priority list of shows to watch. The last two episodes I watched right after watching Bob's Burgers which was a trip. The one thing I do like about this season so far is the close friendship with Archer and Buff Pam. Oh, and Lucille Goosille or whatever the full name of the plane was.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm giving it two more episodes and if by then it hasn't improved, I'm bailing. It's kinda dull right now. Funnier than last season, but not sufficiently so.

double nine fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 9, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like it so far but the episodes are so short I'm not convinced it will last. The complete runtime of the season is going to be around two hours, it doesn't take much (a dud episode or two or an unfunny arc) to squander the premise yet again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vice will always be good, if only for the extended Jeep crash.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The ridiculously short episodes are an FXX thing, not an Archer exclusive thing. They did the same thing with Always Sunny.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Chinchilladas was a great bit.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Krieger/Crackers is by far the best part of this season so far.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Small White Dragon posted:

Krieger/Crackers is by far the best part of this season so far.

And he hates Plan B.

As soon as I heard it happening, though, I thought it was hilarious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

IT IS NOT A GOLD MONKEY.

(That gag must have been written just for me)

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Davros1 posted:

IT IS NOT A GOLD MONKEY.

(That gag must have been written just for me)

Why do you think Pam was looking right at you?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tales of the Gold Monkey (Wikipedia)

Not really spoilers

Set in 1938 in the South Pacific, the series is about an ex-Flying Tigers pilot (an anachronism, since the Flying Tigers operated from 1941–1942) named Jake Cutter (Stephen Collins). Now the operator of an air cargo delivery service based on the fictional South Seas island Bora Gora, he flies a red and white Grumman Goose called Cutter's Goose. Jake's best friend is his mechanic Corky (Jeff MacKay), a good-hearted alcoholic with a memory hazy from heavy drinking. However, a one-eyed Jack Russell terrier named Jack, which barks once for "no" and twice for "yes" (or the opposite if it suits him) would dispute just who Jake's best friend really is. Jack wears an eye patch, but used to have a false eye made of opal with a star sapphire center that Jake lost in a poker game—and refuses to let Jake forget it.

Well, I guess we’ve found the inspiration for this series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red Oktober posted:

Tales of the Gold Monkey (Wikipedia)

Not really spoilers

Set in 1938 in the South Pacific, the series is about an ex-Flying Tigers pilot (an anachronism, since the Flying Tigers operated from 1941–1942) named Jake Cutter (Stephen Collins). Now the operator of an air cargo delivery service based on the fictional South Seas island Bora Gora, he flies a red and white Grumman Goose called Cutter's Goose. Jake's best friend is his mechanic Corky (Jeff MacKay), a good-hearted alcoholic with a memory hazy from heavy drinking. However, a one-eyed Jack Russell terrier named Jack, which barks once for "no" and twice for "yes" (or the opposite if it suits him) would dispute just who Jake's best friend really is. Jack wears an eye patch, but used to have a false eye made of opal with a star sapphire center that Jake lost in a poker game—and refuses to let Jake forget it.

Well, I guess we’ve found the inspiration for this series.

If you were aware of the show, then yeah, you knew exactly what Archer was parodying

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Davros1 posted:

If you were aware of the show, then yeah, you knew exactly what Archer was parodying parroting

:colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That episode was actually pretty good.

what were those planes anyway

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 17, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

That episode was actually pretty good.

what were those planes anyway

Spanish civil war era biplane, not sure which. Could have been a Russian plane. I-15 maybe.

Early model pre wing gun 109, but the gun blisters on the cowling was wrong, they came much later.
Ju-87 Stuka sea plane
Ju-52 sea plane, transport.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That was a good episode. And the post above was correct that was most definately an I-15.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I miss my flight sim rig

I used to skin for IL2, such a nerd.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

I miss my flight sim rig

I used to skin for IL2, such a nerd.

Same. I was like "i am 90 percent sure I flew in those in the great goon il2 1946 sessions."

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Apparently unpopular opinion; I’m really enjoying this season all around.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Moose-Alini posted:

Apparently unpopular opinion; I’m really enjoying this season all around.

it's all because of Crackers

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't seen the latest episode yet but so far this is pretty fun. As much as I like noir, Dreamland was kind of boring so this is way better perhaps because it doesn't feel so serious. Still, I feel like more episodic approach would work way better for this show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m just having a hard time getting invested in it because archer is just going to wake up and nothing will have mattered.

e: it’s still a fun show to watch every week, but it’s just that in the back of my mind none of this matters so I just don’t care about any of the characters.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m just having a hard time getting invested in it because archer is just going to wake up and nothing will have mattered.

e: it’s still a fun show to watch every week, but it’s just that in the back of my mind none of this matters so I just don’t care about any of the characters.

I get what you mean, but on the other hand, it’s a cartoon and none of it ever mattered?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Moose-Alini posted:

I get what you mean, but on the other hand, it’s a cartoon and none of it ever mattered?

Which is true of every piece of fictional media ever produced.

"I was really invested in the main characters growth and journey, whi..."
"YEAH, WELL MICHAEL CORLEONE DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXIST SO WHO GIVES A gently caress."

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Or more even watching something you know the ending of, or one of those movies where the climax is the opening.

It seems to me that it’s just the same ol’ suspension of disbelief, but I’ve heard a lot of people say that about these seasons.

Idunno but it would suck to be one of those people who can’t suspend disbelief, and only sees writers and actors and edits (not anyone in this thread, just that’d suck)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Troy Queef posted:

it's all because of Crackers

I hope after this season there is a supercut of everyone saying SHUT UP, BIRD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fishing with the fam posted:

Which is true of every piece of fictional media ever produced.

"I was really invested in the main characters growth and journey, whi..."
"YEAH, WELL MICHAEL CORLEONE DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXIST SO WHO GIVES A gently caress."
It's not though. Some media is about a continuing story. Archer isn't and never has been. Nothing has ever mattered in this show. It's all been a series of excuses to get these characters into new, funny situations right from the beginning. This season is no different, because Archer has never cared about continuity or character development.

If there'd been a dramatic shift in tone, or if the show had gone from serialised to episodic, then you might have a point. But it didn't. Remember how one time they went to space? Remember how another time it was suddenly revealed that Cheryl was super rich and cared a lot about trains? Remember how most of the characters were completely different people in season one?

The only thing that's changed is the excuse. Previously when they wanted Archer to become a pirate king they worked it (loosely) into the spy agency backstory. Then they realised that they didn't actually need to do that because the spy agency was only ever an excuse to put these characters into different scenarios every week.