Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I recently remembered and re-read some of the Authority series from the early 2000s. I know that Midnighter and Apollo have become somewhat integrated into the main dc stuff but has the rest of team appeared recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ellis is using Authority characters in his Wild Storm series, but that's a spin off of the main DC universe (DC characters appear in the Michael Cray title, but, er, they're not the same).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Grifter had a solo title in the New 52 and was last seen in Future's End. He hasn't been around since, presumably because no one gave a poo poo about any of that.

edit: oh never mind, you said recent. Ignore me then.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What's the deal with Longshot in the 90s? His storyarc of him over throwing Mojoworld from Mojo 2 is super confusing. I'm not following it at all

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What's the deal with Longshot in the 90s? His storyarc of him over throwing Mojoworld from Mojo 2 is super confusing. I'm not following it at all

Impossible to follow storylines are kind of the standard for x-characters in the 90s.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Not sure how to word this.

It seems like comic characters immediately relevant continuity goes back maybe a few years usually. What are some examples of characters referencing that it hasn't been that long in their world since the 70s, 80s, or 90s? Like Spider-Man right now will be like "Doc Ock! You took over my brain!" like it just happened, but if he were like "Doc Ock, the man who tried to marry my aunt and also hijacked that plane one time and tore my mask off in front of J Jonah Jameson!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unmature posted:

It seems like comic characters immediately relevant continuity goes back maybe a few years usually. What are some examples of characters referencing that it hasn't been that long in their world since the 70s, 80s, or 90s? Like Spider-Man right now will be like "Doc Ock! You took over my brain!" like it just happened, but if he were like "Doc Ock, the man who tried to marry my aunt and also hijacked that plane one time and tore my mask off in front of J Jonah Jameson!"

Any time Gwen is brought up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

The current Rogue Gambit series had them dealing with baggage from when they first met, which is almost 30 years ago.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unmature posted:

It's something that comes up in background all the time and people always shift the scale around. In the early 80's, Chris Claremont made a point of giving the X-Men a Christmas story every two years, his way of saying Marvel time was twice as fast as real time. Of course, that was when they only had twenty years of continuity to patch over.

I've got two fun examples of someone laying down a hard time scale and weirdly enough they both revolve around Ben Grimm. In Dan Slott's Thing series, it turns out that Ben never got a Bah Mitzvah. But he's reconnecting with his roots and a rabbi suggests that it's coming up on the thirteenth anniversary of the rocket flight so he could have one then.

The other interesting one is a Fantastic Four annual from the late 90's where the story was that Ben gets teleported to an alternate earth where Reed Richards built and launched his rocket in 1961. So Ben gets to see a FF that's got over twenty years on his timeline.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In the current Batman series, Bruce and Selina (Catwoman) argue about their first meeting. One references Batman #1, and the other, Frank Miller's Year One.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

It's something that comes up in background all the time and people always shift the scale around. In the early 80's, Chris Claremont made a point of giving the X-Men a Christmas story every two years, his way of saying Marvel time was twice as fast as real time. Of course, that was when they only had twenty years of continuity to patch over.

That's the time where Marvel time starts to get weird. Kitty ages in real time for a while in his run while other characters don't really. There are pretty oblique references in 60s Marvel to time moving normally until a couple years in when they start to slow it down.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unmature posted:

That's the time where Marvel time starts to get weird. Kitty ages in real time for a while in his run while other characters don't really. There are pretty oblique references in 60s Marvel to time moving normally until a couple years in when they start to slow it down.

I think the time in the Marvel universe was a 1:1 ratio until Stan Lee stepped down as editor. Then in the seventies some people try to make it work (Roy Thomas in particular seems to have gone that way) but it isn't that long until the time scale becomes a problem and people just start to gently gloss over things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Nah, Franklin never really aged in real time, and he's a Lee/Kirby creation.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Did Spider-Man still go on Conan when he first got his powers? I was pretty excited when they bumped that one up. I guess now he would've gone on the TBS show or maybe even The Tonight Show :ohdear:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unmature posted:

Did Spider-Man still go on Conan when he first got his powers? I was pretty excited when they bumped that one up. I guess now he would've gone on the TBS show or maybe even The Tonight Show :ohdear:

He goes on Kimmel (it's an ABC show) while over on The Tonight Show on the same night Norman Osborn gets his weird hair touched by Fallon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's interesting that Claremont got Professor X and Magneto into much younger bodies relatively early, I guess he saw the problem relatively early.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lobok posted:

He goes on Kimmel (it's an ABC show) while over on The Tonight Show on the same night Norman Osborn gets his weird hair touched by Fallon.

And Corden has Dazzler on Carpool Karaoke

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Weird comic book time is why I love Legion so much. What time period does it take place in? Who knows?! Who cares?! Just go with it!!

Edit:. The show. I'm not feeling this newest mini series, especially after how his last series ended.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There's something really nice about those 80s Claremont comics where continuity is only slightly squashed and time seems to actually be passing. Kitty aging in real time is genuinely refreshing to read if you're used to the eternal stasis of modern comics. Rogue ages, too - she starts off as a teenager not much older than Kitty.

This isn't something anyone can do a lot about though, it's just a consequence of the age of the medium. You can't really get that dynamic back when you're working with 60 years of continuity to squash as opposed to 20.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kitty is 13 when she is introduced in 1980 (?) as I recall, then she seems to age in real time throughout the 80s until she's maybe 18 by the end of the decade, but then one of the last Claremont issues of Excalibur from around 1991 portrays her fifteenth birthday.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I also think it's really interesting, as others have pointed out, how much the dynamic of Captain America has changed since the 60s. When he was re-introduced he was constantly mingling with people who knew him 20 years ago and were still basically in the prime of their life after fighting in the war. With each passing decade he became less a hero of a recent conflict and more a revenant from an ancient time. You can actually watch the age of the war veteran side characters he interacts with gradually wiggle up while the age of all the other characters he interacts with stays peacefully static.

And now, of course, we're in the era where someone can't be like, "Cap, I fought with you back in WW2!" unless they drank a wizard's potion or underwent gene conditioning or whatever. It's a huge change from what a lot of his classic stories were about.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Unmature posted:

And Corden has Dazzler on Carpool Karaoke

Dazzler falls in love with Harvey Weinstein.

Man, gently caress that graphic novel. Seriously disturbing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Android Blues posted:

I also think it's really interesting, as others have pointed out, how much the dynamic of Captain America has changed since the 60s. When he was re-introduced he was constantly mingling with people who knew him 20 years ago and were still basically in the prime of their life after fighting in the war. With each passing decade he became less a hero of a recent conflict and more a revenant from an ancient time. You can actually watch the age of the war veteran side characters he interacts with gradually wiggle up while the age of all the other characters he interacts with stays peacefully static.

And now, of course, we're in the era where someone can't be like, "Cap, I fought with you back in WW2!" unless they drank a wizard's potion or underwent gene conditioning or whatever. It's a huge change from what a lot of his classic stories were about.
Amen. I miss Arnie Roth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Android Blues posted:

To be fair 20 years was still a big loving chunk of time for him to have lost back then and there was still a lot of "man out of time" stuff, it just wasn't quite so severe.

Halloween Jack posted:

Amen. I miss Arnie Roth.

It's funny how they basically took Arnie Roth's backstory for movie Bucky.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

To be fair 20 years was still a big loving chunk of time for him to have lost back then and there was still a lot of "man out of time" stuff, it just wasn't quite so severe.

It's funny how they basically took Arnie Roth's backstory for movie Bucky.

I don't know, once you explain 9/11 and smart phones I don't think someone frozen in their early twenties would have a hard time adjusting from 1998 to 2018. Hell, you just need to show them the clip from the terminator tv show and you're halfway there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

I don't know, once you explain 9/11 and smart phones I don't think someone frozen in their early twenties would have a hard time adjusting from 1998 to 2018. Hell, you just need to show them the clip from the terminator tv show and you're halfway there.

The amount of change we experience is hard to see when you’re experiencing it daily.

It would be a massive change.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unmature posted:

The one that stands out to me is from a Spider-Man storyline from 1982 called "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut." Spider-Man fights Juggernaut and ends up beating him by dropping him into a bunch of cement. Good times.

Then in 2010 there's a storyline called "Something Can Stop the Juggernaut" about a guy who gets the Captain Universe powers and uses them to get revenge on Juggernaut because a Juggernaut rampage from that previous story cost him his job or whatever. In the end, Juggernaut becomes Captain Universe in order to prevent an earthquake that's about to tear apart NYC. The earthquake is apparently caused from the damage Juggernaut did escaping that cement prison... from several months ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gavok posted:

The one that stands out to me is from a Spider-Man storyline from 1982 called "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut." Spider-Man fights Juggernaut and ends up beating him by dropping him into a bunch of cement. Good times.

Then in 2010 there's a storyline called "Something Can Stop the Juggernaut" about a guy who gets the Captain Universe powers and uses them to get revenge on Juggernaut because a Juggernaut rampage from that previous story cost him his job or whatever. In the end, Juggernaut becomes Captain Universe in order to prevent an earthquake that's about to tear apart NYC. The earthquake is apparently caused from the damage Juggernaut did escaping that cement prison... from several months ago.

Even assuming that Spider-Man's days are VERY BUSY, there would be enough visual and textual references to time passing that this is impossible.

Kraven's Last Hunt alone has Spider-Man out of the picture for two weeks.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lobok posted:

Even assuming that Spider-Man's days are VERY BUSY, there would be enough visual and textual references to time passing that this is impossible.

Kraven's Last Hunt alone has Spider-Man out of the picture for two weeks.

Hell, we saw when Juggy broke out, and it was in the late 100s of Uncanny X-Men.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So does Electro still have an utterly stupid costume? (assuming he's still around)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's somehow gotten even stupider.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

The amount of change we experience is hard to see when you’re experiencing it daily.

It would be a massive change.

From 1998? I don't think it's as dramatic as you're implying. I was already an adult in 1998 and the world isn't all *that* different today than it was then. There have been a lot of advancements but the early stages of those advances were already present then. Cell phones were already becoming ubiquitous. The dotcom boom was gearing up. Computers were already in a ton of houses. There's some amount of culture shock, but it's not that drastic. Now, if you want to back that up 10 years to 1988 - I think you've got a point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was also an adult in the late 90s and I think the culture shock would be insane. Like, sure cellphones were everywhere and almost everyone had a computer, but not everybody had a computer on them at all times connected to the internet where they uploaded all of their photos and kept in contact with everyone all the time - but also that's just technology. An entire xenophobic culture has germinated and spored across Western civilisation since the late 90s; the concept of privacy is basically reducible to the word 'no'; and there's an entire form of communication that is literally nothing but references to pop culture. And that's barely scratching the surface.

Like, Steve Rogers probably felt out of time because the social mores of his age had largely been moved past in the wake of the trauma of the war and there were no more nazis to punch. From the 90s to now there's been a radical change in social consciousness and social expression, on top of a bunch of political change brought in by the trauma of 9/11, and it turns out the nazis are now in every single country instead of just Germany.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look, at least he can punch Nazis again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghostlight posted:

I was also an adult in the late 90s and I think the culture shock would be insane. Like, sure cellphones were everywhere and almost everyone had a computer, but not everybody had a computer on them at all times connected to the internet where they uploaded all of their photos and kept in contact with everyone all the time - but also that's just technology. An entire xenophobic culture has germinated and spored across Western civilisation since the late 90s; the concept of privacy is basically reducible to the word 'no'; and there's an entire form of communication that is literally nothing but references to pop culture. And that's barely scratching the surface.

Like, Steve Rogers probably felt out of time because the social mores of his age had largely been moved past in the wake of the trauma of the war and there were no more nazis to punch. From the 90s to now there's been a radical change in social consciousness and social expression, on top of a bunch of political change brought in by the trauma of 9/11, and it turns out the nazis are now in every single country instead of just Germany.
Europe and the US aren't more racist than they were in 1998. It was just impossible for you to film a cop shooting you.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Synthbuttrange posted:

Look, at least he can punch Nazis again.

Except whoops Captain America is the nazis. I'd read a comic that was Steve punching himself in the face repeatedly but idk if anyone else would.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jedi posted:

From 1998? I don't think it's as dramatic as you're implying. I was already an adult in 1998 and the world isn't all *that* different today than it was then. There have been a lot of advancements but the early stages of those advances were already present then. Cell phones were already becoming ubiquitous. The dotcom boom was gearing up. Computers were already in a ton of houses. There's some amount of culture shock, but it's not that drastic. Now, if you want to back that up 10 years to 1988 - I think you've got a point.

What Ghostlight said, basically. You’re underplaying the scope of the change. The technology is one thing, but the changes culturally as a result of that technology are as drastic as the changes caused by television, radio, and the printing press, compressed into a couple decades. Our relationship with information is fundamentally different than it was twenty years ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The development of computerized internet based social media alone within the last ten years is a game changer

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

The development of computerized internet based social media alone within the last ten years is a game changer

[edited for brevity]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Android Blues posted:

Cap's great because unlike Punisher, The Flash, or Spider-Man, nobody will ever have the need to revamp his origin. It only gets better the further out we get from WWII.