Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You won’t regret it, I love it. It’s louder than a “normal” keyboard, but it’s not super loud and if you get used to not bottoming out the keys and just pushing down until you feel it actuate it gets a lot quieter.

I have not come close to that point yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
As long as it's a step-up from my Logitech K120 which I've had for a few years and it's starting to wear out. Even Logitech's cheap stuff holds up pretty good for a while but the wasd keys and space-bar on it are pretty much hosed. This Velocifire TKL01 will be my first "gaming" keyboard in several years because my last one (I think it was a Saitek) I spent ~$100 on it and then spilled a drink on it about a year after I bought it. So if I spill a drink on this one or break it some other way accidentally I'll only be out of $34 instead of ~$100.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Last week I had a $40 budget to buy a basic, non-clicky keyboard for office use and took a chance on this one from Tecware despite it having no reviews at the time (hey, it wasn't my money and even a bad mechanical is way better than rubber dome mush). Unfortunately it's up to $50 now, but I must say, I am very pleasantly surprised by it. It's Oetemu browns, which are what they are, but this thing is heavy and very solidly built. It also comes with a keycap puller and several extra switches (which makes me wonder how long they expect the switches to last, but we'll see). Not a common thing with cheap keyboards so a nice little bonus, especially for a Babby's First Mechanical. It also has a couple dozen different backlight patterns and like 7 colors to pick from, which I don't give a drat about but if you like fancy backlights, it's there.

The only downside, totally expected from a cheap keyboard, is the keycaps suck and are ugly. They're standard size though so once they've started to wear down (figure about 6 weeks) I'll switch 'em out for good ones. All in all it's a surprisingly good board for the price.

(I went with this one over the Velocifire because I like free floating keys.)

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Posting from my Velocifire TKL01. I'm really liking it so far and I noticed it is a bit noisier than a standard keyboard with a duller sounding "Clack" noise instead of the higher sounding (and more annoying) "Click" noise. Typing on it feels really good but gaming on it is taking some getting used to because of the taller keys. Not bad for a $34 mechanical keyboard despite it using the cheap Outemu brown switches.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 16, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, it’s definitely an interesting change in feeling on the keys. Especially once you’re playing something that involves a lot of rapidly changing the keys you’re hitting. You really start to notice that.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Just got the NovelKeys Royals in and I did a switch mod for the first time!

So, for fun, I just swapped the mount in a royal and navy box switch and they both turned into the heavy burnt orange in terms of bump. The royal navy (royal with navy mount) felt a bit smoother, and the navy royal (navy with royal mount) is technically the quietest clicky switch :v:

I like the royals a great deal, and they feel like a less resistant speed heavy burnt orange with a more defined bump. I definitely can't wait to try out some royals and navies with heavier springs, whenever those become available.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Just added some Maxkey Portland caps to my K-Type, and am almost in love. Is there a good way to add tactile bumps to the F and J keys that's not lovely? I see adhesive bumps being sold, but am open to better solutions if they exist.

mewse
May 2, 2006

OpaqueEcho posted:

Just added some Maxkey Portland caps to my K-Type, and am almost in love. Is there a good way to add tactile bumps to the F and J keys that's not lovely? I see adhesive bumps being sold, but am open to better solutions if they exist.

F and J are slightly dished out but I can't really feel that either

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

OpaqueEcho posted:

Is there a good way to add tactile bumps to the F and J keys that's not lovely? I see adhesive bumps being sold, but am open to better solutions if they exist.

I've seen some people drill a tiny hole and embed a BB in it.

edit: https://imgur.com/gallery/qMgWr

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

mewse posted:

F and J are slightly dished out but I can't really feel that either

I didn't know this, thanks! I can feel it, now that I know what I'm looking for.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Now I am suddenly curious to try Topre- or Topre-clone-switched boards. Here is my totally irrational wishlist:
  • Standard 104/108-key ANSI layout
  • Compatible with Cherry MX-style keycaps
  • RGB backlighting
  • If clone, then not sucky clones (an extremely subjective wishlist item, I realize)

Other than the Topre Realforce RGB or ABKO Hacker K985P, are there any other contenders out there?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Now I am suddenly curious to try Topre- or Topre-clone-switched boards. Here is my totally irrational wishlist:
  • RGB backlighting
  • If clone, then not sucky clones (an extremely subjective wishlist item, I realize)

Other than the Topre Realforce RGB or ABKO Hacker K985P, are there any other contenders out there?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nop...2039433313.html

buy my realforce rgb

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
So my MAX KEYS Miami SA doubleshot ABS set came in today and it feels great! Really happy with it on my poker 3 with clears. So thanks for the help guys, you were right and these key caps don't feel cheap at all.

I also bought KBDFans 63 switch tester and it's loving awesome. The Kailh BOX clicky switches all feel pretty amazing, especially the novel key ones.

ugh i'm going to be so poor because of this loving hobby weird obsession

Edit: here's a picture

Brownie fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 18, 2018

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Brownie posted:

So my MAX KEYS Miami SA doubleshot ABS set came in today and it feels great! Really happy with it on my poker 3 with clears. So thanks for the help guys, you were right and these key caps don't feel cheap at all.

I also bought KBDFans 63 switch tester and it's loving awesome. The Kailh BOX clicky switches all feel pretty amazing, especially the novel key ones.

drat those are some handsome keycaps.

Would you like your keyboard in the OP?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brownie posted:

Aw man that's the new miami nights isn't it. I'm trying not to spend more money :sigh:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

drat those are some handsome keycaps.

Would you like your keyboard in the OP?

Sure! That'd be great.

mewse posted:

Aw man that's the new miami nights isn't it. I'm trying not to spend more money :sigh:

It is! They feel and sound great.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brownie posted:

It is! They feel and sound great.

You've got the new legends from the new maxkey molds. You have BACKSPACE instead of BACK SPACE and a bunch of other tweaks like ESC instead of ESCAPE (I think).

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

mewse posted:

You've got the new legends from the new maxkey molds. You have BACKSPACE instead of BACK SPACE and a bunch of other tweaks like ESC instead of ESCAPE (I think).

I know that the original run also had problems with certain legends having the wrong weight as well, like "O" was way thinner. This set doesn't have this problem!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Brownie posted:

Throw some accents on there! Here's mine from the original run for comparison:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

• RGB backlighting

Topre are just glorified rubber domes :colbert:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Square up boy

mewse
May 2, 2006

kbdfans has some white POM topre caps in stock right now and it's the only reason I would want a topre board

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No poo poo. Straight triggered here

mewse posted:

kbdfans has some white POM topre caps in stock right now and it's the only reason I would want a topre board

quote:

Blank print

Made in Cina
.... Ok.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
I have a Plum 87 and it feels like the switch/stabilizer positions are slightly off from the Cherry layout; I can fit a Tai-Hao PBT spacebar but it sticks down when pressed. The same spacebar works fine on a regular Cherry switch/stab setup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CyberPingu posted:

Topre are just glorified rubber domes :colbert:

I'll be your tag team partner on this one, let's throw down.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Will kbdfans have slightly cheaper box royals or are they novelkeys exclusive?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

mewse posted:

Will kbdfans have slightly cheaper box royals or are they novelkeys exclusive?

This doesn't answer your question, but weren't the box navies supposed to be NovelKeys exclusive too? I was surprised to see them on kbdfans as well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brownie posted:

This doesn't answer your question, but weren't the box navies supposed to be NovelKeys exclusive too? I was surprised to see them on kbdfans as well.

Yeah, I got my box navies from kbdfans and I'm asking because I'm considering ordering the maxkey miami nights w/new molds but will hold off if I can get box royals in the same shipment

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I got my shipment of navy box switches last night. Two weeks from order to East coast. People at work do not approve. I re did my Halo True switched K-Type that had a GMK set with the boxes and matt3o MT3 /Dev/tty.

Edit: from kbdfan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I got a red dragon kumara and drat, once you go clack you cant go back

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Speaking of clack, my box navy Tada68 kit showed up yesterday and with the aluminum case this is true endgame for me. There's really nothing I can say about these switches that hasn't been said already - they're monstrously tactile with a super sharp and satisfying click, there's none of that rattly effect you get from click jacket switches. As a bonus they click twice per keystroke so you can be extra annoying if you share space with anyone. The stock keycaps are actually really nice too, they're relatively thick dye sub PBT but I might get an SA set at some point if I find one I like. The case is basically a solid brick of aluminum, it weighs over 3 pounds so it won't slide around on you. The web interface for reprogramming the keyboard is very easy to use, I was able to change caps lock into the function key to keep with my Poker 2 muscle memory. Overall 10/10 would recommend, if you go with a plastic case it's a great value for a fully programmable keyboard.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You can also use the layer tap function in QMK so that on tap, it does caps lock, on hold, it goes to layer 1. You should be able to find the LT function on the online configurator and set it to LT(1,KC_CAPS).

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Apparently I still haven't learned my lesson after joining the current 7bit group buy (before the last one even finished shipping, iirc), and now I'm considering buying a keyboard from Gmarket. Any of you fine fellow masochists have any experience with that? Specifically I'm thinking about getting an ABKO Hacker K945P for a TKL keycap set that hasn't even shipped yet.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard because I have started to do a lot more typing than I used to and, well, mechanical keyboards are really neat. I've had a decent amount of time at one point using a Corsair keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches but I wanted to check out alternatives as well, especially since I've read that the tactile switches can be better for typing.

I was considering the KBTalking keyboards in the OP but I was hoping I could try out the switches. OP says that KBTalking's switches are Cherry MX clones - could I safely try the switches on the Cherry 6-key tester and be reasonably assured that I'll be getting the same or almost the same switches when I buy the KBTalking equivalent?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I do not have experience with any KBTalking switches, but I would assume that no, a Cherry MX switch tester will not give you a similar feel to the KBT switches. Even though they are clones, their switches would not necessarily replicate the same feel of the genuine Cherry MX switches. For example, Gateron Brown switches are clones of the Cherry MX Brown, but they definitely feel different. On top of that, the Gateron Brown has a significantly lower actuation point than the Cherry MX Brown for some reason.

Maybe someone else in the thread has experience with the KBT switches and can give a more informed opinion.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I just switched from a Logitech G810 to a Vortex Vibe because I wanted more desk space and really couldn't make the jump to live without a number pad OR the navigation keys. This pretty much fills my needs perfectly.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I never realized the Vibe came with SA profile caps stock, that's pretty awesome.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I may be crazy but for some reason I have been looking at left side only ergodox game pads.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

sensy v2.0 posted:

I just switched from a Logitech G810 to a Vortex Vibe because I wanted more desk space and really couldn't make the jump to live without a number pad OR the navigation keys. This pretty much fills my needs perfectly.

Small keyboards best keyboards, how are you enjoying the experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

I may be crazy but for some reason I have been looking at left side only ergodox game pads.

You're not crazy. Its part of why I want an ErgoDox