Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The MSJ posted:

Welp, time to argue witch which sister is hotter again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loWpbevW9xg

all incredibly not hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They all look like kids.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/GameDesignDan/status/996759701445595136

https://twitter.com/mediavandal/status/996855810926915585

https://twitter.com/KevinSenzaki/status/996887261122711552

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They all look like kids.

Due to America's endless media obsession with youth I propose that the entire nation of 350mil+ be referred to from here on out as one collective pedophile.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

all incredibly not hot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They all look like kids.

well which is it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ruddiger posted:

The Captain (Germany, 2017 dir: Robert Schwentke)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YxgjASgOGQ

Looking forward to this. The real story is messed up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Unironic :same:

I don't know what it is about that shot, but it's my favorite moment in both trailers. He looks brutal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Agreed, I loving love that setup. Cavill is so cool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

I don't know what it is about that shot, but it's my favorite moment in both trailers. He looks brutal.

It's such a good moment. It should be stupid and cheesy, but there's probably only a few men who could pull it off. His hair/facial hair/body build all just sort of lend to it looking badass. The slight camera push in, editing and pacing. That whole fight looks fun.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
are there any pics of him rocking that stache in the superman tights

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Clipperton posted:

are there any pics of him rocking that stache in the superman tights

You might be able to find the illustrated version in a book of Tom of Finland art.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eks8LG72uo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Just came here to post that. Very red-band FYI!

Looks funny. Shallow concept, but I'm in. Although the end of the trailer ruins what could be a good joke so I'd stop early if you're already in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FoneBone posted:

[The Happytime Murders]

Holy poo poo it's finally happening!!! It was originally announced for January 2011 and there's old trailers online with "Coming Summer 2013."

Did anyone else think that the puppeteering didn't look all that great in the trailer or is it just me?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Happytime Murders looks dreadful. Nothing there is working at all.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo it's finally happening!!! It was originally announced for January 2011 and there's old trailers online with "Coming Summer 2013."

Did anyone else think that the puppeteering didn't look all that great in the trailer or is it just me?

It looked like pretty standard puppeteering to me. Maybe since the puppets are more interactive and out in the open (to sell the gag) they can't use a lot of the visual tricks they normally use?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to understand why Brian Henson couldn't get funding for it for, like, 25 years.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

feedmyleg posted:

There's one joke (the incongruent pairing of Henson puppets and R-rated raunch), and I have no idea how that can sustain an entire film.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I think that would have worked much better if it was grittier. A dark comedy with the muppets could have been pretty neat, but some dude jizzing everywhere doesn't really work as a joke for me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BonoMan posted:

It looked like pretty standard puppeteering to me. Maybe since the puppets are more interactive and out in the open (to sell the gag) they can't use a lot of the visual tricks they normally use?

The Muppet Movie came out 39 years ago and that was all interactive puppets out in the open and it looked WAY better.

A lot of these puppets seem to move reeeally stiffly, there's several shots where a character turns around and they just rotate on the spot like they're on a swivel. The puppeteering just felt ... unexpressive to me.

Eezee posted:

I think that would have worked much better if it was grittier. A dark comedy with the muppets could have been pretty neat, but some dude jizzing everywhere doesn't really work as a joke for me.
See if this works any better for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPvXaj0HZgg

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Muppet Movie came out 39 years ago and that was all interactive puppets out in the open and it looked WAY better.

A lot of these puppets seem to move reeeally stiffly, there's several shots where a character turns around and they just rotate on the spot like they're on a swivel. The puppeteering just felt ... unexpressive to me.

See if this works any better for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPvXaj0HZgg

Well given the content, maybe they had second rate puppeteers and puppet makers?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BonoMan posted:

Well given the content, maybe they had second rate puppeteers and puppet makers?

The weird thing is that it was directed by Brian Henson, co-produced by the Jim Henson Company and the puppets were made in the Jim Henson's Creature Shop so everything should have been top of the line. The lead puppet character also looks a lot more generic and cheaper than the version used in the old trailer I posted so maybe their budget was slashed?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vintersorg posted:

Agreed, I loving love that setup. Cavill is so cool.

Over in the action thread we've been talking about how actors with real acting backgrounds make certain scenes crackle with their physical facial acting and I absolutely think that Cavill's face is doing a lot of work here. He looks like he's gonna murder that dude.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm here to support Ben Browder.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Yes, that looks a lot more fun to me. I think this style of crime movie with comedic elements works a lot better for something as absurdist as a Muppets movie than a Melissa McCarthy buddy cop vehicle.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm sure I saw a muppets-as-homicide-detectives short film like 10+ years ago, maybe on ifilm or something?

That trailer is real bad.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Not great, but better.

The other trailer is dire. Everything about it—from the stiff puppetry to the over-the-top raunchy humor—just looks off.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Clipperton posted:

well which is it

Teenification.

thrawn527 posted:

Villain Cavill looks so cool.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

I'm sure I saw a muppets-as-homicide-detectives short film like 10+ years ago, maybe on ifilm or something?

That trailer is real bad.

Are you perhaps remembering Puppet Rapist?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ALFbrot posted:

Are you perhaps remembering Puppet Rapist?

:aaaaa: i had no idea that was waverly

yes, yes i am

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Deadpool just broke the box office record for an R-rated movie on a Thursday (It had the record).

Expecting a sweet bonus!!

:geno:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oh i got one of those too at the double feature screening lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shameful

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

thrawn527 posted:

It's weird, when googling for some good biopics, there are movies that, I guess, are technically biopics, but I don't seem them as ones. Like Goodfellas. And Wolf of Wall Street. And Schindler's List, I guess? So I'm not sure what the difference is in what I consider a biopic and what I don't.

I know here we're just talking about musician biopics. But still.

*notices a shining beacon in the sky, retreats from my haunted mansion and appears in your bedroom while you sleep*

The best biopic is Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters.

*vanishes as quickly as I arrived*

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

FoneBone posted:

There's one joke (the incongruent pairing of Henson puppets and R-rated raunch), and I have no idea how that can sustain an entire film.

Peter Jackson made Meet The Feebles back in 1989, and even then at just 90-odd minutes, it felt like the idea was stretched to breaking point.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Haven’t seen MI in theatres since 3 but might have to check this one out. Those punches look beefy as gently caress

The Avenue Q play was ok for a saucy puppet show

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah if the movie was two hours of him priming those punches I'd be happy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
MI tends to kill their villains...but, assuming Cavill can live up to that trailer scene, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the sequels. Hopefully they won't throw him off a cliff.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Why does everyone think Cavill is the villian? Granted, I haven't read poo poo about the plot, but even though that bathroom scene is cut to look like it's him and Hunt fighting, if you watch close they're actually beating up a bunch of Asian dudes. Feels to me like they're pulling the same schtick they did with Renner's character and he's going to be part of the team next movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Cavill's character is a CIA guy who's sent to track Hunt down when he goes rogue. He seems like a villain based on the trailers, but who knows, maybe he'll do a face turn.