Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lote posted:

Yeah. Bryan and College Station can be it’s own thing. Like Montenegro or San Marino.
I was thinking North Korea. An isolated, nuclear-armed enclave that worships giant statues of football players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I was thinking North Korea. An isolated, nuclear-armed enclave that worships giant statues of football players.

Fallout: College Station.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It would be perfect for a Fallout game. I took a trip there once and was impressed by the gigantism of the A&M campus and the student troops marching around.

If a totalitarian regime were to take over Texas, it would mold it in the image of A&M.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You could make a pretty good Fallout: Texas. They usually compress their space, like Fallout 3 crammed a lot of the farflung DC metro area into a much smaller space. Just take the next step and put all of Texas in one.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It even comes preloaded with its own cult, saving us from Bethesda's writing.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

An Aggie myself, I can't honestly dispute any of this.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dameius posted:

It even comes preloaded with its own cult, saving us from Bethesda's writing.

maybe we should try for Far Cry: College Station too then?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This thread has made me realize Fallout College Station would own.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

maybe we should try for Far Cry: College Station too then?

I just finished FC5 and it could with minimal effort be in CS instead of Montana.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but Malcolm Gladwell's podcast did a thing recently on the possibility of Texas dividing itself. How when Texas was admitted to the Union, it was given permission to subdivide, and that congressional permission still legally stands. All it would take is action from the Texas legislature.

I can see them drawing gerrymandered lines encircling the border lands, SA, Austin, and Houston and making that one big super liberal state and then dividing the rest into several red wastelands who would each send two Ted Cruzes to the Senate.

edit:
https://overcast.fm/+NG9L1B8JM

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

duodenum posted:

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but Malcolm Gladwell's podcast did a thing recently on the possibility of Texas dividing itself. How when Texas was admitted to the Union, it was given permission to subdivide, and that congressional permission still legally stands. All it would take is action from the Texas legislature.

I can see them drawing gerrymandered lines encircling the border lands, SA, Austin, and Houston and making that one big super liberal state and then dividing the rest into several red wastelands who would each send two Ted Cruzes to the Senate.

edit:
https://overcast.fm/+NG9L1B8JM

That would also have the effect of seceding the House permanently to Democrats

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
This will never happens, the US Constitution article IV, section 3 addresses how states enter the union.

quote:

New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea all the "TEXAS WAS SO BADASS IT WAS GRANTED SPECIAL PERMISSION" stuff is 100% bullshit. The constitution is super crystal clear that when you join the union you don't get to just divide yourself up without federal approval.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

You could make a pretty good Fallout: Texas. They usually compress their space, like Fallout 3 crammed a lot of the farflung DC metro area into a much smaller space. Just take the next step and put all of Texas in one.

Only if Obsidian makes it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea all the "TEXAS WAS SO BADASS IT WAS GRANTED SPECIAL PERMISSION" stuff is 100% bullshit. The constitution is super crystal clear that when you join the union you don't get to just divide yourself up without federal approval.

But my elementary school teacher said the flag was special!!!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Despite it being in the constitution, it is not without prescident. Virgina split into 2 states when Virginia joined the union and West Virginia told them to gently caress off and joined the union as a seperate state. In theory, Texas could leave the US, split itself into multiple states and then the individual states rejoin the union. :eng101:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dameius posted:

Fallout: College Station.

I'd play it.

And also a computer game set here.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AP/status/997481601922629633

Santa Fe HS near Galveston. It's over, and remember to treat everything you hear reported over the next 24 hours skeptically.

https://twitter.com/ScottMcGrew/status/997484633695469570

Good god

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 18, 2018

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I think a San Antonio council member had also boosted the Bandidos at one point, but yeah, bad timing considering that last year the Fort Worth Bandidos leader got 45 years for murder.

Meanwhile in DFW news there's a corruption scandal in Richardson over real estate:

Oh my.

What always bugs me is what happens to the developments/contracts/public-private parnerships that are caught up in the scandal? Like, why aren't they seized and auctioned, or taken over by the city as part of the city?

It's like how some contracts are established with bribery, and yet once established are honored no matter what comes out of the woodwork with respect to the getting them in place.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This will never happens, the US Constitution article IV, section 3 addresses how states enter the union.

sexpig by night posted:

Federal approval was granted, apparently, when Texas was admitted to the union (which I mentioned in my post). The podcast goes over what semicolons mean, the words "but," "nor," and other legal details. According to the podcast, Texas was offered the opportunity to subdivide because of the whole slave state/free state conflict leading up to the Civil War.

It was just a fun diversion, don't get too worked up about it.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Houston Chronicle is reporting 8 deaths so far:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Shots-fired-at-Santa-Fe-High-School-12925050.php

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/997481601922629633

Santa Fe HS near Galveston. It's over, and remember to treat everything you hear reported over the next 24 hours skeptically.

https://twitter.com/ScottMcGrew/status/997484633695469570

Good god

How broken does your brain have to be not only to head over to a school shooting situation that may not be over, brandishing a gun, but that the first thing you think when you hear about a mass school shooting is “dammit they gonna try to grab ma gunz again” rather than be concerned and horrified?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is he the good guy with a gun

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shear Modulus posted:

is he the good guy with a gun

We can confirm two out of those three things.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

duodenum posted:

Federal approval was granted, apparently, when Texas was admitted to the union (which I mentioned in my post). The podcast goes over what semicolons mean, the words "but," "nor," and other legal details. According to the podcast, Texas was offered the opportunity to subdivide because of the whole slave state/free state conflict leading up to the Civil War.

It was just a fun diversion, don't get too worked up about it.

Yeah, I agree that it’s a fun thought experiment but it’s also one of those totally bogus Texas myths that really should be put to bed.

Maybe it was authorized 170 years ago, but Texas isn’t splitting into five states now or any time in the near future of the United States.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zwabu posted:

How broken does your brain have to be not only to head over to a school shooting situation that may not be over, brandishing a gun, but that the first thing you think when you hear about a mass school shooting is “dammit they gonna try to grab ma gunz again” rather than be concerned and horrified?

They prioritize their toys over other people.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Yeah, I agree that it’s a fun thought experiment but it’s also one of those totally bogus Texas myths that really should be put to bed.

Maybe it was authorized 170 years ago, but Texas isn’t splitting into five states now or any time in the near future of the United States.

Plus there was that brief period where they left and came back that might have changed their entry concessions a little bit.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

I don't think that was his intention, but putting myself into the head of the exurban Texan magaman, he sees guns as tools that solve problems. More guns = fewer problems. And since he is a man with a gun, he is a problem solver.

Also reminds me of that poker playing celebrity during the Vegas shooting who was livestreaming himself while asking a cop to hand him a weapon while bullets were flying around, and the cop was like "wtf no. I don't know you. Get away from me"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/997557776850268162

I'm so sick of this loving poo poo, that the only thing that doesn't cause these constant mass shootings is the availability of guns. Fewer loving doors, my god

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We need door control. The wide availability of doors cannot continue.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

zoux posted:

I'm so sick of this loving poo poo, that the only thing that doesn't cause these constant mass shootings is the availability of guns. Fewer loving doors, my god

That sounds like an Onion headline. "In a stunning move, Texas okays universal background checks for door transactions, limits the amount of doors that may be owned and bans automatic and semi-automatic doors. Door-rights advocates outraged."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

We need door control. The wide availability of doors cannot continue.
As a shut-in -- I agree!

Patrick doesn't go far enough in my view, though. Like a Texan Enver Hoxha, I believe we also need fewer windows and more bunkers.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 19, 2018

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

duz posted:

They prioritize their toys over other people.

Plus there was that brief period where they left and came back that might have changed their entry concessions a little bit.

Well, in the spirit of this thought experiment, that's one of the arguments for - the Supreme Court has held that Texas never left the Union, it was just in rebellion. "When Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation. All the obligations of perpetual union, and all the guaranties of republican government in the Union, attached at once to the State" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._White).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

lmao

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
That's right up there with sea levels rising because of too many rocks. There is a specific kind of foolish reductiveness that some never grow out of.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

Wow, just wow.

Of course what are the kids supposed to do during a fire? All file out through the single point of entry/exit?

Also if the school needed to evacuate and the shooter knows everyone comes out of one single door, wouldn't that just mean the new method of doing one of these shootings would be to pull the fire alarm and wait outside for everyone to be in a huge group?

I now realize I have put more effort into thinking about this problem then Dan Patrick has.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

See the problem is that you have to start from step one of "you can't regulate guns in any way" and then try to come up with a solution.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Zil posted:

Wow, just wow.

Of course what are the kids supposed to do during a fire? All file out through the single point of entry/exit?

Clearly the answer to kids dying in fires is more fires, don't you see how this works. "Fight fire with fire" my pa always said.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It's gonna be cool next session when they pass a school door bill and nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

It's gonna be cool next session when they pass a school door bill and nothing else

Arm the teachers! But don't let them strike!

I'm dreading the next university shooting, when we'll start forcing professors to carry guns too.