Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You can definitely finish Muspelheim any time you want, it's just really hard to do at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

SettingSun posted:

I didn't finish that quest until post game myself so I guess my info is flawed. I'm replaying the game so this warrants some testing.

They patched it recently. When I beat the game the first time I couldn’t upgrade it all the way until after the credits. Now you can do it before the endgame sequence.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol i was imitating ratatoskr in my prev post

anyway having also played binary domain recently, ive really gained an appreciation for exploiting shin-shots to crowd control the gently caress out of enemies

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

precision posted:

You can definitely finish Muspelheim any time you want, it's just really hard to do at that level.

The 100 enemies at once was the one that made me decide to leave and return later. I stubbornly tried to kill the Valkyrie because I didn't want to go through two loading screens for nothing.

Felt like she'd just brush off any stagger and do some twirly move even when getting combo'd by electric wolves and rage attacks. Sometimes it'd work other times I'd die.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The 100 enemies at once was the one that made me decide to leave and return later. I stubbornly tried to kill the Valkyrie because I didn't want to go through two loading screens for nothing.

Felt like she'd just brush off any stagger and do some twirly move even when getting combo'd by electric wolves and rage attacks. Sometimes it'd work other times I'd die.

Valhalla!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game is a 11 out of 10 in all categories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLg9a08b3WU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I turned the Valkyrie battle on the top of muspelheim down to easy and I still died twice.

Not proud of it.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Yeah I spent way too long trying to take her down yesterday and got her down to like 20% and then decided to call it. Dodging her spear attack is what's been doing me in. I was hoping to finish all the sidequests before wrapping up the game but maybe the remaining Valkyries can wait

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Game is a 11 out of 10 in all categories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLg9a08b3WU

I love just how much sheer effort Youtube has been putting into spoiling this game since even before it launched

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I just tried GMGOW difficulty for the first time last night.

I’d like to say this. I have beaten quite a few reasonably difficult games recently (every Dark Souls, Celeste, got every moon in SMO, etc) and older titles like Contra and Mike Tyson‘s Punch Out to name a few. I would just like to say that this difficulty mode is not a good example of fun difficulty. It is an exercise in complete frustration. The combat system, while extremely fun in other modes, clearly shows itself to not be well-designed enough to hold up well in a difficulty mode like this. Basically, I’m convinced that anybody who plays this mode is goddamn masochist.

To get past the first fight of the game alone took me almost an hour. A loving hour. It is not fun, and really highlights the flaws of the combat system. Parrying is a total crapshoot, for example. Sometimes it will work if you press the button right as a weapon strikes you, sometimes the game will completely ignore the input even if you press the button half a second before the strike. Even if you use all the tricks available to you, like constantly keeping dudes frozen, kicking them into other dudes and walls, juggling guys, cheeseing axe throwing and hiding behind your shield for 15-20 seconds at a time while three mooks deliver closely timed attacks against you, leaving you with no window to counter attack and relying on an unreliable parry system, it feels like total random luck to win the fight. But hey, I did beat the two wolves right after that on the first try with no deaths, so that’s something, right?

I do feel like the mode would be a lot more fun if you could take more than three hits before having to start over. If I could play GMGOW difficulty with 3-4 times the health, I think it would be pretty fun. As it is though? gently caress that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 18, 2018

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

JBP posted:

It's on a super long cooldown, but in a tough fight being able to rage twice is very nice. Just be careful trying to dodge through traffic to get the pick ups lol
Because of the cooldown, always use it out of combat to fill up health or rage if it’s available. I pretty much always had a full rage meter before enemy encounters and another rat ready to go if needed.

And since it’s the only one that really makes sense out of combat, you could certainly switch back to something else for harder encounters.

Edit: important note though, the rat goes to a spot that is about 10 feet in front of Kratos at the moment you activate it. Be careful not to stupidly have him drop rage in inaccessible places, like behind chests.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 18, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GreatGreen posted:

I’d like to say this. I have beaten quite a few reasonably difficult games recently (every Dark Souls, Celeste, got every moon in SMO, etc) and older titles like Contra and Mike Tyson‘s Punch Out to name a few. I would just like to say that this difficulty mode is not a good example of fun difficulty. It is an exercise in complete frustration. The combat system, while extremely fun in other modes, clearly shows itself to not be well-designed enough to hold up well in a difficulty mode like this.

Nah you kind of tipped us when you said you had to "hide behind your shield"

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/05/16/16-tips-to-conquer-the-give-me-god-of-war-difficulty-mode/

Brawlers are their own thing, beating a Super Mario doesn't mean much. High level brawlers require very tight timing and reactions.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nah you kind of tipped us when you said you had to "hide behind your shield"

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/05/16/16-tips-to-conquer-the-give-me-god-of-war-difficulty-mode/

Brawlers are their own thing, beating a Super Mario doesn't mean much. High level brawlers require very tight timing and reactions.

I read that blog post already. The one thing I did learn from it was that dodging does not disrupt combos. And I didn’t just say I beat that Mario game, which was stupid easy, I said I got every moon, which is difficult. The point is that I’ve been playing video games at all difficulty levels my whole life, I’m not some inexperienced grandma when it comes to these things.

And like I said, I was hiding behind my shield because the parry system is outright unreliable and inconsistent. Sometimes it works quite well, other times it doesn’t trigger at all, and I can’t make heads or tails of how the game decides this.

Anyway, I’m not saying the mode is impossible, it’s very possible. I’m saying it’s incredibly tedious and not fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GMGOW isn't fun and I don't think it will ever be no matter how good the combat system is. It just continues a very long tradition of unfairly tough difficulty levels. I still think about GoW II's Titan difficulty get upset.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The issue with GOW is that the lock on is hard as hell to shake off unlike Bloodborne for example and the game should just have a roll that doesn't disrupt combos, not a mostly useless sidestep.

Also the camera should have a zoomed out mode.

Basically it just needs a Bloodborne mode but they went really heavy on making the game designed around the axe throws.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 18, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

GreatGreen posted:

I read that blog post already. The one thing I did learn from it was that dodging does not disrupt combos. And I didn’t just say I beat that Mario game, which was stupid easy, I said I got every moon, which is difficult.

The skills you earn there don't transfer. If you haven't played Bayonetta or other technical brawlers at a high level you're at the same level of base skill as everyone else. Again, saying "I beat Super Mario" doesn't help you when you're playing high level FPS games. Different skillset.

Want to know what really helps with high difficulty brawlers? Playing fighting games, you'll get the tight timings down easier.

If I can be bothered I'll upload a video of me parrying 40 attacks in a row because it's total bogus to say it's inconsistent, it's actually pretty loose compared to many games. The problem is that the yellow warning indicator vs. attack time is variable. Which I actually have a problem with.

I actually don't think GMGoW is fun, btw, the same way I didn't think Bayonetta Infinite Climax is very fun either.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The issue with GOW is that the lock on is hard as hell to shake off unlike Bloodborne for example and the game should just have a roll that doesn't disrupt combos, not a mostly useless sidestep.

The sidestep is incredibly useful, it just requires very tight timing. Here's what I'm talking about - GMGoW totally de-emphasizes the roll, which is the easier and safer dodge, it forces you to get really tight with your dodges and timings, because if you roll you break your combo and the enemies are constantly attacking you won't ever get to the back half of the combo where the damage is.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 18, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

haveblue posted:

I love just how much sheer effort Youtube has been putting into spoiling this game since even before it launched
There's a special place in Hel(l) for the people who decided to SEO game YouTube with their titles, too. I wish it were easy to block those folks.

I just decided to avoid all Internet until I completed the game. Literally the only way to - maybe - avoid it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm sure the difficulty is frontloaded, just like on the difficulty below it, and they didn't bother designing a smooth difficulty curve rather than turning some numbers up and calling it good. I don't know if that's enough to make it fun but it will probably get more fun.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does wall-pinning work at all on GMGOW? It can be tricky to get to work, and it only works on certain enemies and certain surfaces, but it is an instant kill that means you won't have to work your way through their whole health bar. Chaining together the running R2 (once you have it) can also be a good way to force ringouts for similar purposes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Paracelsus posted:

Does wall-pinning work at all on GMGOW? It can be tricky to get to work, and it only works on certain enemies and certain surfaces, but it is an instant kill that means you won't have to work your way through their whole health bar. Chaining together the running R2 (once you have it) can also be a good way to force ringouts for similar purposes.

Only if you launch them first.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

There's that ability wwhere you throw your axe a million miles away as a straight laser beam that seems like the most consistent way to knock enemies off cliffs into lava etc.

It was the best way I found at least

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I started playing this, and I was wondering if the game ever explains exactly what transpires between the end of the original God of War series and the beginning of this game? I watched some youtube video summarizing the plot of the original games, and it doesn't seem to give any info explained how Kratos ended up with this kid up in (presumably) Scandinavia. I'm guessing it gradually reveals this stuff in flashbacks or dialogue?

I'm really enjoying it so far, despite being pretty bad (I had to resort to repeatedly throwing my axe at the first troll boss, after repeatedly trying and failing to avoid its attacks in melee range). I actually did pretty well against the second boss (bald beard guy), though; managed to beat him with my first attempt, I think because I could block most of his attacks with my shield and it was easy to dodge the ones I couldn't. That fight totally owned, by the way; I loved the whole shock wave whenever he'd hit your shield, and how if you time it right you smash him back into the wall.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ytlaya posted:

So I started playing this, and I was wondering if the game ever explains exactly what transpires between the end of the original God of War series and the beginning of this game? I watched some youtube video summarizing the plot of the original games, and it doesn't seem to give any info explained how Kratos ended up with this kid up in (presumably) Scandinavia. I'm guessing it gradually reveals this stuff in flashbacks or dialogue?

I'm really enjoying it so far, despite being pretty bad (I had to resort to repeatedly throwing my axe at the first troll boss, after repeatedly trying and failing to avoid its attacks in melee range). I actually did pretty well against the second boss (bald beard guy), though; managed to beat him with my first attempt, I think because I could block most of his attacks with my shield and it was easy to dodge the ones I couldn't. That fight totally owned, by the way; I loved the whole shock wave whenever he'd hit your shield, and how if you time it right you smash him back into the wall.

The game mostly focuses on the relationship between Kratos and Boi; there are a few surprises but don't expect much resolution of the details of past plot arcs. That's all I will say.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Everything you learn about the interim between III and this one is told second hand by Kratos in real time, and it isn't that much. There isn't really that much tell regardless.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

I think Fenrir is mentioned at some point as being how Odin dies but I'm not 100% sure.

They got that part right atleast, calling Frigg a Vanir on the other hand...

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dollas posted:

there's a thing you can put on or in the axe that gives a decent chance to heal on kill and it makes the arena trivial

Whoa, where?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's only trivial if you have Ratutaskor. It helps but the 100 enemy challenge is still tough

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The 100 enemy thing was a lot easier to me than the "Don't Get Hit" ones because it's not hard to avoid getting hit, but it is super boring

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the 100 enemy challenge isn't hard but it's way longer than it needs to be imo. mostly ended up stunlocking everything with the blue arrows so I could throw all the high health enemies off the cliff

of course all these challenges will be hard if you go in under equipped

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I got tired of the 2nd round of impossible challenges so I just turned it back down to easy.

I think the main game is well balanced but Muspelheim, Neflheim, and the Valkyries (past what the main game requires) are just a little too hard.

Edit: I'm on NG+2 in Bloodborne right now and I don't think that the grind or the challenges in the endgame here are particularly fair or rewarding

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 19, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I started my Hard playthrough over and you can now Quick Turn before the game tells you that you can.

Still can't sprint until the game lets you though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The skills you earn there don't transfer. If you haven't played Bayonetta or other technical brawlers at a high level you're at the same level of base skill as everyone else. Again, saying "I beat Super Mario" doesn't help you when you're playing high level FPS games. Different skillset.

I think you're missing the point, although he wasn't doing the best job of articulating it. He's not saying that his Mario/Dark Souls/celeste skills should transfer over to GMGOW. He's saying that he's not adverse to or inexperienced with challenging games, but GMGOW is hard in a way that sucks and isn't fun. Which I think most people including yourself seem to agree with.

I played it for a bit and it really feels like a drat miserable slog. It's like everything I don't like in a hard mode.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
GMGOW requires you to completely rethink the way you play the game and rely more heavily on frost/freeze, environment kills and stun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

GMGOW requires you to completely rethink the way you play the game and rely more heavily on frost/freeze, environment kills and stun.

Hard does this too. GMGOW doesn't look fun to me but I'm loving the way I feel like I'm playing a whole new game on Hard. I've discovered so many combos/moves I didn't even know existed.

e: I kinda feel like barehanded fighting should build the stun meter a bit quicker than it currently does on Hard and higher. Not a whole lot, just a bit.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
The last Valkyrie battle can go gently caress itself.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

AutomaticPrince posted:

Welcome friend. All of us are not worthy.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sefal posted:

Valhalla!

What was more annoying was when it didn't say it and just leapt into the air with no warning.

Do the Valkyries get any harder than the one at muselpheim?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm worthy

She should specifically call you out if you fight her on easy though

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

MechaSeinfeld posted:

What was more annoying was when it didn't say it and just leapt into the air with no warning.

Do the Valkyries get any harder than the one at muselpheim?

AutomaticPrince posted:

Ice Fist posted:

Welcome friend. All of us are not worthy.

Yes. You are not worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'm gonna find it and punch it in the face