Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Honestly the Angels should only be giving Ohtani a rest the day after his starts at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

ozymandius1024 posted:

So happy for J Dingers :shobon:

I wish he was still in Detroit though.

If you go back to 2011, it's amazing the talent they had on those Detroit teams. I wish they could have won just one World Series.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Cubs@Braves rescheduled for Aug. 30; glancing at the schedule that means the Cubs are playing like 20+ days without a break in that stretch.

They really need to shorten the season at least 12 days. I recently read an article about changing a few things in baseball and the comment section was insane. Sometimes the internet gives voice almost exclusively to stubborn, backwards thinking morons. Change is good people, wake up!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Honestly the Angels should only be giving Ohtani a rest the day after his starts at this point.

Also not even the day after, I need more Ohtani.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Rays are good again! The Rays are good ag—

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/997512847998402560

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I don't hate this but it's extremely weird. Should be fun to see

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea that rules. Should be fun to watch.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I think they're resting him to keep him healthy through the whole year not because they're necessarily worried about it affecting his pitching. I have to imagine he plays close to every game if they're in a tight stretch run or in the playoffs.

Did Ohtani field another position in Japan?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Accident Underwater posted:

He used to play RF.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I'm going to the game tomorrow so I agree.

Accident Underwater posted:

I think they're resting him to keep him healthy through the whole year not because they're necessarily worried about it affecting his pitching. I have to imagine he plays close to every game if they're in a tight stretch run or in the playoffs.

Pretty much just his rookie year as an 18 year old. He appeared in 54 games in the outfield that year, mostly in RF, then 8 games the following year and none thereafter. He also only made 11 starts and threw 61.2 IP that season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

He used to play RF.

This was the reason NL teams thought they had a shot, yeah. IIRC though he has a minor/partial tear in his UCL and was worried playing a position on top of pitching might push it into full blown TJS territory.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

This was the reason NL teams thought they had a shot, yeah. IIRC though he has a minor/partial tear in his UCL and was worried playing a position on top of pitching might push it into full blown TJS territory.

It's only a matter of time before he has TJS anyways since he plays for the Angels. Speaking of which, closer Keynan Middleton is having it now and will be gone for a long time.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Johnny Bravo posted:

It's only a matter of time before he has TJS anyways since he is a 23 year old pitcher.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

GalacticAcid posted:

Thank you everyone for the insider tips.

I will gladly reciprocate if life brings you to New York or Pittsburgh.

Seconding the recommendation for the city museum, you will enjoy it more than the baseball game. Make sure you plan on a half day at least there.

Some great Italian joints on ‘The Hill’ as well. I think Favazzas was my favorite.

Pi pizza is kind of a unique pizza place, deep dish with corn meal crust I think. Always super packed though.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sounds great.

We did Toronto last year and I went to AGO first thing in the morning and spent a few hours there before walking to an afternoon game, was really a pleasant trip.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Poque posted:

I don't hate this but it's extremely weird. Should be fun to see

I know “start game with a good reliever, then put in the starter” is a theory people have suggested for a while. Might as well give it a shot when they have like 2 starters and a good bullpen.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Italian neighborhood rules in St. Louis. Definitely plan a meal there. Also recommending Pappy's, it's really good. Go there for lunch so everything is stocked on the menu. If you are into zoos, the St. Louis Zoo is free and a very good zoo in my opinion. They are trying to make a little "village" around the stadium, so there is a bunch of construction right now. But they have about half of it done and it's kind of a cool atmosphere. They have a Cardinals HoF & Museum right there and I thought it was totally worth the $12 to get in. They have a lot of really cool old-timey baseball stuff in there.

I enjoy the downtown area around the stadium and the arch. Lacledes landing is meh, but a lot of people go there to drink. The Washington Ave. area is another popular stretch for bars/food downtown.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Pork roll.

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/997514399156879360

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Taylor Ham.

There's a mascot.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That hat is great.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/997559128598990849

mets

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What in the world? Even if they had to cut his toe off I'd assume he'd still be able to play this year at some point.

How can if be that messed up?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

What in the world? Even if they had to cut his toe off I'd assume he'd still be able to play this year at some point.

Travis Wood account spotted

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Popete posted:

The New York Mets.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is Joe Maddon also shadow managing the Rays?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dear Joe please let Baez start one of the double header gamea. tia.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Max Fried sent back down after the game he was called up for gets rained out. Would've been Newcomb's start but he's being pushed back a day and Matt Wisler is coming up for tonight. Maybe that makes some sense, don't know how many days rest he was going on last night vs. Fried but kinda seems like AA is getting a little cute with these moves.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/997567322335346695

Well that's loving awful. Now DeJong.

At least we get to see more of O'Neill I guess.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Max Fried sent back down after the game he was called up for gets rained out. Would've been Newcomb's start but he's being pushed back a day and Matt Wisler is coming up for tonight. Maybe that makes some sense, don't know how many days rest he was going on last night vs. Fried but kinda seems like AA is getting a little cute with these moves.

What? Dammit I wanted to see Newcomb pitch

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Undercover Yankee fan on the way to Fenway at the moment. What’s the best food in the place?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

What? Dammit I wanted to see Newcomb pitch

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

chilihead posted:

If you go back to 2011, it's amazing the talent they had on those Detroit teams. I wish they could have won just one World Series.

Dave Dombrowski's inability to build just one league average bullpen cost the Tigers multiple World Series titles.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I think Trevor Bauer is still salty. Indians play the Astros this weekend.

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/997522397300494336

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Another rainout tonight. Nats haven’t completed a game since SUNDAY

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Ungratek posted:

Another rainout tonight. Nats haven’t completed a game since SUNDAY

It's better than snow outs I guess.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Popete posted:

The thing is, they did cut the toe off.

But they had the wrong foot

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sucks for Juan, but silver lining is that at least it gets Nimmo more playing time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pitchers are by far the position most likely to have serial killer face.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Good Dog posted:

I think Trevor Bauer is still salty. Indians play the Astros this weekend.

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/997522397300494336

I really wish he was starting this weekend because the fan reaction would be :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really wish he was starting this weekend because the fan reaction would be :perfect:

Astros instead of showing pitch speed in park should show pitch RPM.

• Locked thread