Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

PP: 1 | XP: 0

A flush of red scoots across Slapstick's otherwise colourless cheeks at Gwen's comment. "More animated then you could even k- OH HELLO THERE!"

She listens to Bender, nodding along. "Yeah, and my whole world was on the verge of vanishing into nothingness, so it's not like I've got anything to go back to. I'm down for a little rough and tumble adventure through the multiverse! Where are we going? Who are we meeting? Do you like Hammocks? Were you really killed by Dracula? Who's Steve Rogers?" The questions tumbled out of her mouth like a waterfall of quiz cards.

Because that was exactly what was happening.

With a small amount of effort, Slapstick managed to close her own jaw, halting the flow of papers. Picking on up at random and eyeing it.

"What's the deal with airline food?" She shakes her head. "Gonna have to update that one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"...the verge of vanishing? Did you find out why?"

Elijah turns to Bender.

"If we're all to be rewarded by going back home at the moment we left, then...can I send some things with her, if they're prepared? We can work out the details, but...well, as you know, I volunteered. I want to save her world, along with the others we'll be helping."

He doesn't wait for an answer, instead looking at his tablet again.

"Drums, the word is 'universal destruction.' Begin research into entropy-increasers and how to fight them. Universe coordinates still unknown, appear to involve some kind of metafictional conceits. Check the Four's fictionaut research, it might help. If we're lucky, they managed to do more with it than just find out how to weaponize fictional characters. I'll get you more information when I have it. Send."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bender watches Slapstick, waits for her to be done, and then leans in. "I respect you as a performer, but you should know I'm confident enough in my own self that I don't have to prove anything to you." Then, with mock smugness, turns his nose up and pivots away in a pretend huff.

And then Elijah has more questions. "Hey, I'm glad you wanna save worlds and I'm sure these kids are, too. As far as her world, I'm afraid that any word on what blew her home universe up won't do you much good on your mission. See, there's no common thread to these multiversal deconstructions. You almost couldn't spot it unless you already knew it was happening. In one world, Thanos gets the infinity gauntlet and gets a little too kill-crazy. In another, the Crisis Wave engulfs all of time and space, leaving a white void. And then, over there, the Nothing eats Atreyu and Falkor before they get to the Ivory Tower and save the day. Listen, universes die all the time. It's natural...law? Order? Selection? Eh, whatever. What's going on right now is beyond that, though. Universes that should be living into a ripe old age and retiring to Boca Raton are instead keeling over of a heart attack while they're still on the job."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

1 PP, 0 XP, no Stress

"A fine 'how d'ya do' mister Bender. Where was all this before the Reich started it's campaign of murder? I've already avenged the wrongs as much as one person can. I made peace with the outcome for me." arms crossed, and clearly a bit agitated, she scans around the group. And it starts to fall into place. The snippets of pain and personal horrors hidden in all their confusion, the fear of loss and destruction. She sits down and takes her head in her hand, overcome by the burden of feeling. "It's not over, is it? Oh, I must look like a fool to you lot. None of this makes any sense to me!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

The temperature drops by a good ten degrees as Bender speaks. He reaches out to grab Bender's shirt.

"Natural? Who gives half a poo poo about what destruction is natural and what isn't? Who decides? You? The multiverse? Why should any of us care about that?! It's a coward's answer! I don't care if what threatens her home is the same as what threatens others! I don't care if fixing one won't help fix the next! Your multiverse, it made me. It made me for one purpose only. And I don't care what it thinks is natural, because I'm not."

He's practically snarling, his face a mask of rage.

"You sit here and tell us which disasters need to be stopped and which don't? Look at her! She's been facing down the greatest monster her 20th century ever produced! And if she'd lost, would you tell her it'd all be fine, the universe goes on? Because it'd be natural that sometimes, a bad man with a gun shoots first? You tell this other woman her universe dying is natural and you're going to just put her back there to wait for it all to end? What's natural is we poo poo in the woods and climb trees. What's natural is children die of Ebola. So don't you tell me about natural deaths, you little shitstain. If you won't be helpful I'll just go around you. And if you try and stop us from fixing these so-called natural deaths when we run into them, I will take your broom and feed it to you backwards. So let's have no more of that, shall we?"

He shoves the man, turning away.

"You, Slapstick, was it? You have my word upon my honor, I'll see your universe lives if I can. And you, Miss Fury. You've done well. Don't let anyone tell you differently. There's always more wrongs to right, and I can promise you this - what you did matters. You saved your world from Hitler. That's all we're asking here - to do it again. And again. And again. To fight the good fight, over and over, because in one hundred ninety-six thousand, eight hundred thirty-three facets of this goddamned snowflake, there's always going to be another chance to stop a monster, and you know how to fight them."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

PP: 1 | XP: 0 | Stress: n/a

Gwen walks forward casually, saying to Elijah as she passes him, “Aw, you stole my drama. Well, still gotta do the thing.”

Which is why it might be surprising, giving her blithe attitude to the whole situation, when she quick-draws her sword, pointing it at Bender threateningly as she rapid-fires a barrage of questions and accusations. “Okay, who are you really working for? Is it the space bugs? It better not be any bugs, except for any bugs included in the Spider-Verse- are you Morph? Are you Proteus? Are you Proteus pretending to be Morph?” She gets her stiff upper lip on for a moment as she tries her best at a wild-eyed glare, which isn’t hard, given she probably sounds like a crazy person. “Or a bug pretending to be Proteus pretending to be Morph, don’t think I won’t, Futurama, don’t think I won’t go stabsies until you’re halfsies just because I’m a hero now, I can just be an edgier hero.”

There’s a slight moment as the mask of fury breaks, and she smirks, looking slightly away as if self-conscious. ”I mean, I have to be a little edgy, I’m armed with literal edges.”

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bender holds up his hands, "Hey, search me! I'm just telling you kids the facts of life, there's no need for pulling out blades and threatening a working man! As for your twenty questions, you're intel's out of date, Gwen. I ain't Morph, I ain't a bug, and I sure and Proteus. I told you, I'm the janitor at the end of reality. Maybe I'm part of some big cosmic plan, maybe I'm a fundamental force of the multiverse, maybe I'm an antibody. I don't know how it works! I just do my job." Hey backs away, right off the path of light, and flies up and around to the other side of the trail. "You hero-types get so gosh-darn cute when you sense an opportunity for a last-ditch rally cry.

"Still though, uncle! Uncle! You misunderstood what I said. It's my fault, really - like I said, I don't get many visitors here. Hah! What I'm saying is, the cartoon kiddo's universe wasn't supposed to die. It's one of the victims of this...whatever it is. I dunno, why don't we come up with a name for it? It's a victim of the Catastrophe. There we go, that sounds nice and foreboding right? Anyway, what I'm trying to explain is this - the Catastrophe is affecting each universe differently. What she saw in her universe might've looked unique and different from what you'll see in the worlds you're going to be saving from here out. But trust me - there's someone or something pulling the strings in the background. I don't know what, but why would I know? Nobody tells me nothin'! You're supposed to find out and stop it from happening. First things first, you're going to need to get from A to B. For that, you're gonna need this little number here..."

Bender pulls out a bracelet with a complex pink gemstone. "This baby? This is the Tallus. Say hi, Tallus!" It shimmers brilliantly, as if on command. "One of you is going to wear this bad boy, and it'll help you get around. Think of it as your guide. We just have to figure out who gets to wear the all-knowing little wristband. It'll teleport you around the multiverse to where you need to be, no problems. Well, little problem. You see, it's brute-forcing you through the barrier between universes, and not necessarily close ones. That's nasty business. The effect on guys like you is going to be pretty...shall we say pukey? You're going to vomit. Blow chunks. Lose your lunches. The only way to avoid that is if someone wears it who can already teleport. Then, it only makes you as sick as that person's normal power. No extra barf, no extra problems. So you bunch are gonna need to figure out who gets the gem."

Lager fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 15, 2018

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

1 PP, 0 XP, no Stress

That sealed it. Even if Elijah's speech hadn't struck the right chord, the fact that he wasn't the only one immediately outraged by the prospect of being a helpless pawn lost in the game of fate did the trick. She stood up tall, with a slight sniffle, and said "Then the fight isn't over. Soldier on, get to the bottom of things. Have some fun while you're at it. Who needs saving, and what is teleporting?"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Neena 'Bullseye' Barton

PP: 1, Stress 0

At Snow's little speech, she shrugs and mutters, "not much worth going back to in my world anyway. I just want to finish the job I started."

At the discussion about the Tallus and the nature of the Catastrophe, she pipes up, "So... this Tallus thing just pops us out where we need to be? If that's the case..." she sighs, "I could hold it. My powers tend to... keep me out of harm's way. Might be useful to keep us from, I dunno, ending up in the middle of the ocean, or a firefight, or whatever else. Would also keep us from losing it. That's assuming none of you can teleport."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

Berenice grabs the orb tossed at her, allowing it to roll on her palm to the back of her hand then back around to palm. Contact juggling. Part of her had learned it as her first stage trick. She fights the urge to stare into it. Later, loves, later. The overly agrro fellow makes some speech about the natural state of things and its....shockingly insipid. He either missed the point or ignored it. "Are you this angry about radioactive decay, Mister Snow? Or is entropy only a sin when it suits the dramatic?" She blinks, suddenly sharply twice. "I haven't introduced myself. Apologies, but this place seems to have been less kind to me than to everyone else here. I am The Dazzling Starband. Or Berenice Blaire, if you would prefer my codename."

Starband focuses on the Tallus. "I must insist on someone else being the bearer of that. It's wonderful, honestly, but a bit too much like the Benitar. It wouldn't do to make her jealous, she's been far too good to me for far too long."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

"Actually, I'm not that fond of decay, no. Or, for that matter, of radioactives contaminating things in the first place. But that's why I have people working on new archival practices and potential reversal of entropy." Pause. "On more than a personal scale, that is. The man I know that can reverse entropy has yet to figure out the science behind how he does it."

Elijah is not ashamed of disliking when things are destroyed.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

"Yes, well. You seem like you'd be familiar with classical Grecian poetry. Best to remember Eos and Tithonus, I think." She cocks her head. "Let us hope we will not encounter a Cancer Universe on this quest." She had seen one, once. A terrible possible future where there was no death, only constant spiraling vampiric life building on life eternal, a throbbing living corpse with her least favorite living corpse in the center of it all. loving Dracula.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

PP: 1 XP: 0 Stress: 0

Hmm.

Bender was pretty obviously riling everyone up. Maybe trying to throw everyone off their game to keep them off balance? It sort of worked, too, Snow and that Starband girl were definitely at each other's throats, at least a little. At least that Miss Fury woman was looking sort of chill.

"So, who can teleport? Probably best not to lead into potentially hostile situations all pukey. I could probably rig up the glider to do it, given time, but I doubt we have that right now." He offers for a moment, then continues. "Also, Bender, the Tallus, does it do comms or is it just an info dump on the locale? Can we talk to you via it? Do you talk to us? Do you get to hear what we're doing or anything or are we going into this more or less blind except for what amounts to an Almanac?"

Internally, Peter didn't trust this guy one bit. People who said things like 'you hero types' never counted themselves as one, which means Bender didn't see Peter or the others as equals, just as tools. That much was obvious though. He'd want to have a chat with everyone, but not here and not now. Like it or not they had all basically been conscripted, but one could rebel if one was given time and opportunity. Peter didn't know if that was necessary, yet. But best to be sure if one could be.

Peter hopped off his glider and reached into one of his pouches, then handed Miss Fury half of what he pulled out. A ham sandwich - he had packed it earlier today. He lifted up the bottom of his mask and took a bite into the other half. "Assuming we get a teleporter best not to go into these things on an empty stomach. And if we don't, I'd rather puke up food than an empty stomach."

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 16, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bender nods to Bullseye. "Yeah, this little beaut is a helluva lot smarter than me. It's something special. That gem in the middle? Contains a sort of...reflection of reality itself, in a way. When you hold the Tallus, you're holding your own multiverse in miniature." He turns to Peter, then. "It's hard to explain. The whole thing goes way, way over my simple little head! Way I understand, though, the Tallus interfaces with the user. Talks to them inside their mind. Tells them the cliff notes of the mission, what they need to do. It's up to you to decide how to go about accomplishing that goal. No comms or anything, though I'm awful flattered you want to keep in touch that badly!" As Peter goes to hand the ham sandwich to Miss Fury, he feels a sudden weight on his shoulder. Turning his head, he finds Bender leaning against him, smiling wide. "Say, friend. Did you know that I really like ham?"

Lager fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 15, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Gwen rolls her eyes so hard it almost has its own sound effect. "I know there's a twist, because there's always a twist, but I guess I can't force it the narrative." There's a momentary stare, and she grins and flips the sword up, sheathing it. "Just when it turns out you're actually Mephisto or Loki or Devil Dinosaur, I'm just gonna remind you could've come clean and saved us a lot of trouble."

She tilts her head, turning to peer over to Neema. "I can... move in time and space. It's not exactly teleporting, but it's close enough for something like the Tallus. Also, no offense, but I probably rock pink a little more than you." Raising her hands, she speaks more generally to the gathered Exiles. "But, um... it's going to reveal possibly uncomfortable truths about the nature of reality you may or may not be ready for, everyone." A slight pause, and she points to Slapstick. "But you'll probably be fine with it." A pause. "The rest of you, there's a good chance your brain may pretzelify into good old fashioned denial or maybe even amnesia. Like a story from an old and awful racist horror writer. Don't worry, though! That's just how your brain moves past, and heals."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

1 PP, 0 XP, no Stress

"It's just as well." she says to Bender. "I'm not so sure I'm hungry right now."

Miss Fury walks over to the pink clad girl volunteer. "Nothing you've said so far makes an ounce of sense to me, but I'm sure I'll get over it. Ready when you are."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

“I know my limits. Anyway...While I’d very much like the information, I prefer my stomach to remain where it is. As for reality...it’s always been weird. That’s the charm of it.” He turns to Miss Fury. “Teleportation is instantaneous travel from one spot to another. Imagine if you could go from here to the end of a football field without needing to cross any distance in between.”

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 15, 2018

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shunned by Ms. Fury, Peter spares Bender what he hopes came across as a withering look for a moment before he reluctantly hands him the other half of the sandwich.

"Well, if you've got a thing that does what we need without the puking, I'd say you're the best equipped to handle the gawdy jewelry, Ms. Poole. I'm personally more used to mental trauma than nausea at this point in my illustrious career, anyway." He pauses a beat. "That was a joke, of course." Mostly.

Finishing the last mouthful of sandwich, the Goblin continues with his mouth only like, a third full. " I think that just leaves Dom...er...Bullseye, Slapstick, and uh...Starband, was it? Anyone have any objections to us giving the Tallus whatzit to her?" He points at Gwenpool with a smirk, before he pulls the mask down over the rest of his face.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 16, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neena 'Bullseye' Barton

She shrugs and nods, "I wasn't too eager for repetitive nausea, anyway."

She looks at the others and then further down the "road" at the Nexus. "So that's it? We're just taking this guy's word for it and heading off into unknown danger, or are we checking to see if anyone is home?" She glances at Bender, still not quite sure this wasn't some sort of elaborate trap, adding, "No offense, but we haven't even been here for 10 minutes... or however time works around here."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Slapstick

She reached out a paw slowly towards the shiny bravely. Like a magpie. Her mouth opened to declare that she would own the rock. But a splinter of sanity pestered through her head.

"Gwen. Give it to Gwen. I can teleport sure. But I'm not allowed nice things anymore. Not after... the incident..." she looked haunted for a moment and then cracked a grin. "Only kidding. But no. Seriously. Give it to Gwen." This totally wasn't an attempt to end up in the blondes good books. Well, it was. But there was at least some other reason behind it. Just lost behind the grin.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Ignoring Bullseye's questions about the central structure, Bender claps his hands together and tosses the Tallus over to Gwenpool. "I'd say that's close enough to unanimous. Looks like this little baby belongs to you now, take good care of it and it'll take good care of you! But hey - the bunch of you...there are a few rules that you'll wanna keep track of. First off, take these!" Bender tosses out a bunch of credit cards to the team. "These things will confuse any payment system you should be coming across. I don't know how they work, I think they're alien or something. WHO CARES? Just try not to go hogwild or anything - you guys turning into interdimensional hedonists would probably not be doing wonders for your mission. Second, you're probably going to want to keep a low profile as much as you can. Scope places out before going all full hero on everything! Third, LISTEN TO THE TALLUS!" Bender's voice echoes, unbelievably loudly, across the void.

"If you've got any more questions, you'd better be fast! The Tallus decides when it's time to go, and I think it's powering up!" This seems true, the gemstone is now emitting a humming sound.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

1 PP, 0 XP, no Stress

"Payment system?" she started to ask, looking over the card she now held. "I... what is this made out of? No. No never mind, I'm fine." She tucked the card away in a concealed pouch with the crystal ball. Too many questions, and apparently no time for them. She'd adapt to to this like she'd adapted to flying a German fighter plane that was on fire; as quickly as possible.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"You better, we better, I'm going to keep everybody alive this time around.", Gwenpool says to Bender, taking the Tallus and fitting it on, and then giving him the good ol' I'm Watching You v-sign. This is followed by her turning to Neema, putting a finger to her lips, twirling her finger around her ear, thumbing over towards the janitor, putting a hand to her mouth as about to whisper, but then finally points away conspiratorially.

"I wonder if I could do a little recoloring? Hm.", she says as she looks at the gold-and-pink Tallus, putting the other extras in her pouches. It turns those little pouches are actually there for a reason, unusually! "Speaking of which, is there a Weapon X right now?", she asks of their 'guide'. "The team, not the grumpy Canadian. I know, spoiler alert, but- you know, maybe we could get a little foreshadowing?", she says, as her hand goes to her sword again, but it seems to be a more casual gesture as if she's anticipating something, looking to the humming device.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neena 'Bullseye' Barton

She caught the card between index and middle finger, twirling it a few times as she looked off toward the Nexus, eyes narrowing slightly. He'd been forthcoming with all of their questions, but conveniently avoided that one. Now they were getting shunted off to another dimension, possibly to all get killed in, or get erased along with the rest of the dimension. She tucked the card away in a sleeve pouch, thinking idly about the fact that in her experience, all the places where you want large sums of money generally deal only in cash, anyway. She eyed the Tallus, wondering if, in the same way it gave directions from the Nexus itself, it was also a listening device, one that would keep an eye on them for whoever Bender was hiding... either behind his facade, or in that Nexus. She glanced at Snow, the one who seemed the most shrewd of this motley bunch, wondering if he was thinking any of the same things she was.

Either way, a mission awaited.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah reaches into a pocket and pulls out a box of cigarettes. He opens it, stares at them for a few seconds, then closes it and puts it away, looking at Bender again.

"No more questions for now." The man wouldn't answer the ones he really wants, anyway. "Young lady, if you could be sure to inform me exactly about what the...Tallus tells you, when it - well, communicates? I'd like to learn more about it, how it works, and given you'll be taking care of it, that seems the best way." He catches the card, slipping it easily into a pocket as well.

He does pause for a moment, though.

"Weapon X, really? That's a - of course it is. We had the Authority and that's just as bad. Never did find out why they thought that sounded good. But honestly, the sheer balls of it...Weapon X. The kind of people that use that kind of name, you might as well just go with Kill Squad or something similar."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Between Bullseye and Gwenpool, Peter was going to have a talk with the team about not letting the person who you suspect to be your enemy know you suspect them to be your enemy - also about letting the people you suspect to be your enemy underestimate you.

Of course, Peter tended to do that with just about everyone anyway, but this group was going to HAVE to be confidantes, anyway. At least he knew they were all equally screwed. So that made everyone reliable to a point. Except Bender.

He hops back up on his glider, after catching the credit card and shoving it and the crystal into a pouch, and brings it into a low hover. It had come with him through the whole inevitable death turned into bad 80s Sci-Fi series thing, but he didn't want to risk it through the first leap. Building a new glider to his specifications was never easy and who would know if this other dimension would even have things like arc reactors, vibranium, or adamantium?

Which reminded the Goblin to be stingy with his ammo - he didn't have his workshops to re-equip himself. Priority one would be establishing a foreword base, clearly.

"Ok, well, everyone ready to go then? Everyone used the bathroom and gotten a snack? I don't want to have to stop once we start."

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 16, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

Starband tries her best not to roll her eyes. She's surrounded by folk who are either dour Hank McCoy types or 'hilarious' Hank McCoy after a trip to Simon Williams' bachelor pad types. Although these folks don't smell of incense and mid-life crises. "The sooner we're on the way, the sooner we finish things up."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Act I: Hail to the Chief

At the mention of Weapon X, Bender waves the question off. "Listen, I don't have anything to do with any hardcore killer types, but if you guys think you're the first Exiles - or the last - then you're even dumber than me! HAH!" The Tallus begins to glow brightly, enveloping the group in a bright pink light. "Hey, looks like you guys are on your way! See ya later, alligators! Goodbye! Toodle-loo! Auf wiedersehen! Au revoir!..." The rest of Bender's goodbye is cut off as the team vanishes from the bizarre Nexus, and Bender is left waving at nobody at all. He shrugs, turns and starts walking back along the path towards the center.

For the team, however, the next few moments are...troubling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQe1QxHZuWg

The trip between dimensions is longer than they expected and it feels oddly unfamiliar to even those among them, such as Elijah Snow and Gwenpool, who have traveled before in the spaces between spaces. Still, Gwen wearing the Tallus seems to have reduced the worst of the effects to a dull feeling of emptiness in the pits of their stomachs. The Tallus still does the work on the transportation, but filtering it through her unique abilities seems to help the team significantly. After...seconds? Minutes? Days?...the team find themselves on a city street, teeming with pedestrians in standard modern clothing. It appears to be an early morning commute, many of the people nearby are staring at their phones as they read the news, others listen to music as they walk through their daily routine. Immediately as the team appears, however, it seems as though the city stops in its tracks. Suddenly every pedestrian in sight stops, turning away from them. Some of them seem to be shaking with the effort, as though they want to look but cannot bring themselves to do so.

The Tallus begins whispering in Gwen's head almost immediately, almost pleading with her. "takecoverhideblendingetaway!"

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

1 PP, 0 XP, no Stress

"That... was not quite what you described, Mister Snow." Patsy mumbled as she shook off the daze of the transport. "Not quite- oh dear." she adds, noting the fearful reaction of the crowd. "What do we do?"

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 18, 2018

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Huh...that was...something." Is Peter's first response to the trip, surprisingly lengthy as it was.

Peter HAD teleported before, when you're on a team with Dr. Strange, it was bound to come up. Of course The Sorcerer's methods weren't precisely immediate, either, but you could normally kind of see the destination point based upon where he started.

That whole thing was...odd. And if nothing else Peter would've been a bit put off by that, but the locals' reactions to seeing the group appear was even more unusual. Screaming, shouting, a couple 'woah, cool's, all expected. Not...forced ignorance. That was a little much.

"Uh so...up or down on the glider, then? You want me to scout us out? Find a place to park ourselves for a second?" He still had some stuff he wanted to bring up about Bender but obviously plan A is still establish a beachhead no matter what.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 18, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neena 'Bullseye' Barton

Unnerved by the transition but glad to be in surroundings that were at least a little more vaguely familiar, Bullseye glanced around at the shunning en masse they were now experiencing. "I'd say you probably shouldn't draw attention by flying around, but that'd be redundant... either way, I think we should get somewhere away from observers, because something feels really off about this and I'm pretty sure the longer we stand here, the more likely something bad is going to happen... to us, not them."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah shakes his head. "That...wasn't what I expected, either." No Bleed. Strange. He nods to Bullseye. "Probably best to make ourselves scarce, yes."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

"Well that's a reaction... that I'm entirely unfamiliar with! Heh he, hehe hehe.....heeee.... Let's be anywhere but here! Okay? Okay!" Slapstick said, pushing the party in the direction of anywhere but here!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Traveling through a field of white for a bit, one can see pink-tinged glimpses of... the past? Future? Tiny pages of windows, forming a river that swirls around as the Tallus pulls it through. Some of the glimpses might be puzzling, tantalizing, offering third-eye perspectives of one's history behind, and other, less discernible things ahead... but there's no time to stop and gander in the space between the gutters and moments. The Tallus pulls onward.

Upon arrival, looking up, Gwenpool blinks, and then looks to the Tallus. "No splitting the party yet. Everybody, to the all-concealing alley just off-panel!", she says, pointing for a moment, and then dashes off for... well, an alley, panels or no, swinging around to look at the others, beckoning with both hands as if waiting for the others before ducking further in.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 18, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

"Follow that girl!" Slapstick urges. Hurrying the party to follow Gwen. She knew she would be safe if the people attacked them, after all, she just needed to turn on her side, she'd be invisible! Or was it intangential? Ah whatever! She was a two dimensional person. Literally and metaphorically. And that was why here eyes were afixed firmly to Gwen's back.

But not litrally. That would just be weird.

Once in the safety of the alley. She sidled up to Gwen.

"Soooo..." She paused. "I was about to ask if you come here often, but... that would make no sense, even by my standards. So I'll ask instead. Does the do-dad know where we are? Or what this place is? I mean, I'm totally popular and have never received or seen a reaction like that ever before. But that was uhhh... concerning? I'm gonna go with concerning."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Following the crowd (of metahumans that he was jumping through dimensions with), Peter pressed a button on his belt and his glider...folded slightly, affixing itself to his back like a backpack. The wings sheathed themselves somewhat, such that the Goblin would fit through (most) doors with his ride intact.

Sparing a glance back at the street as they ducked into an alleyway, Peter spoke up again. "So, uh, Ms. Pool - any hints as to what we're supposed to be doing then? That whoozamawhatsit is supposed to fill us in on what the mission is, right?"

He pauses for a second, and then continues. "Because once that's settled, I kind of want to run something by everybody, if we have a second." Obviously not RIGHT THIS MOMENT, since they were kind of exposed and clearly that was bad, but still.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

As the band of Exiles head for cover in the alleyway, almost immediately the pedestrians begin to go about their previous routines, but with brows furrowed in worry and confusion. After a few moments, though, it is as though nothing happened at all. It seems that whatever is affecting them is preventing them from retaining memory of the incident. From their hiding place, the Exiles are able to take note of their surroundings. Midtown Manhattan, not far from Rockefeller Center.

As soon as the Exiles are free from prying - or in this case, willfully ignorant - eyes, the Tallus again begins communicating with Gwenpool. She relays the information, though the gem does not seem particularly verbose or descriptive. It seems that the Exiles have found themselves on a world without super powered heroes of any kind. No mutants, no enhanced humans, no Iron Men or Night Thrashers. It would seem that the distinctive appearance of most of the Exiles is what triggered the strange reaction from the passersby, though the true cause of it is left a mystery. Due to the lack of heroic opposition, this reality is fated to be destroyed two generations hence by Michael Korvac, an interloper from another world, though this was not supposed to happen. As for the solution the Tallus provides, it is simply one sentence.

"Kill the President."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah examines his tablet as the Tallus' information and advice is relayed. The Drummer set the thing up to be able to infiltrate and interface with just about any non-protect wifi (and most standard protected ones that don't require active hacking skills to get into). "Well, this place seems to be...strangely average, as it were. But nowhere truly is - the secret history is always there, even if there aren't any superhumans. On my home Earth, a group of men with absolutely no superhuman abilities or, indeed, anything beyond basic metallurgy and excellent algebra made a gun that fired a man into a semi-stable translunar orbit for over a century."

He pauses. "Not that that's relevant here. What's relevant is that most of your are going to need pants. The spandex is simply ridiculous in a time and place like this. Starband - I suppose Ms. Blaire is probably the more appropriate name here - and I can get some clothes for...most of you, at least." He glances at Slapstick, and then sighs.

"Once that's handled, we need to find out more about what's going on here and why in blazes this thing wants us to become assassins."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

1 PP, 0 XP, no Stress

"Unpatriotic ones, at that." Patsy added.

"I'd ask what spandex is, but... listen, Elijah, far be it for me to cast aspersions on your fashion sensibilities, but I'm not entirely sure how comfortable I am disrobing, as it were." she said, with an affectation somewhere between flirtation and genuine timidity. "The truth is, my civilian identity is sometimes a bit of liability. I'm something of a celebrity. Or, was." with that, she removed the cowl of her ceremonial garb, revealing to the team her lovely red locks, piercing blue eyes, and the unmistakable visage of America's sweetheart, Patricia Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Don't worry, I'm like a pink ninja.", Gwenpool says casually from Elijah, poking at the Tallus. "And I don't need to take shade from a guy who dresses like a coloring error. Anyway, I think I've got a source on some clothes for me." She then pinches the Tallus, and the gold color flows a bit under her fingers. "Ah-ha!", she says, pulling off the golden shade between her fingers, leaving only white and pink on the device. "Got it!" With that, she throws a strange, surreal sploch of color over her shoulder, where it lands on the ground, discoloring it to a golden shade.

"Anyway, Korvac was a cyborg from the future who ends up downloading the Power Cosmic from Galac- er, summary page version, he runs into an ancient alien ship and absorbs a lot of power. A bunch of heroes have to fight him and he kills a lot of them, at least until they defeat him, then he unmurders people before he dies because I guess he didn't mean to. All old news where I come from."

As Fury unmasks, she stops and points, "Hey, you're, you're... Hellcat? Wait, what?"