Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Elantris isn’t a bad book, it’s just rough. He uses interstitial chapters as a crutch even when it doesn’t make sense and interrupts the narrative, and the main characters have a bit of Mary Sue syndrome, but it still shows the potential that Sanderson has now demonstrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Elantris is only bad by comparison to his later books. It's still good! I think it suffers a bit by the rigid adherence to the PoV shifts, and it kinda ends right as it's getting awesome. But it's still a good read, and once you're deep into Cosmere stuff there's a lot going on under the hood that's really interesting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Elantris isn’t a bad book, it’s just rough. He uses interstitial chapters as a crutch even when it doesn’t make sense and interrupts the narrative, and the main characters have a bit of Mary Sue syndrome, but it still shows the potential that Sanderson has now demonstrated.

also it has the worst published case of Sanderson's Unnecessary Twist Syndrome

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

also it has the worst published case of Sanderson's Unnecessary Twist Syndrome

But he willfully admits that, and his ability to be honest about his earlier writing is one of the reasons that he has improved so much. And yes, Hrathren is an amazing character.

Count me in as a Mistborn Era 2 fan. I don't even care for Westerns, but the mix of magic and guns is wonderful.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Too bad wax and wayne are the most insufferable characters in an entire bibliography of insufferable characters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

“And further more...FAAAARRT”

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Phobeste posted:

Too bad wax and wayne are the most insufferable characters in an entire bibliography of insufferable characters.

Wax and Wayne are straight up art compared to Lift.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Lord of Chaos is really good. I'd say it has an even bigger payoff than Fires of Heaven. The Aes Sedai political stuff becomes more interesting when the supergirls start to mess with it much more.

If you ever find that one storyline is really boring, you can just read summaries of them. I highly recommend Encyclopaedia WoT for this. You can click on a book title, and they have a very nice graph at the bottom of the page. It shows in colored lines what main characters appear in which chapters. It's obviously a bit spoilery, but you can then read the short chapter summaries of the plotlines you don't find engaging.

Books 7-11 can have pacing issues. I still like even the chapters where no big things happen as an insight into the characters, but opinions vary wildly. If you find them boring but still want to find out how the story ends, looking up summaries is a good way imho.

Also I got really high one time and editted the last three books from Sanderson: TGS/TOM/AMOL and changed all the chapters to the correct timeline that a bunch of people figured out and it reads so much better. I just made it one ebook called A Memory of Light. It's GREATLY improved because the TGS/TOM are mixed and you see all the characters instead of only focusing on two in each book.

I've been trying but I can't find the original mixed timeline spreadsheet to show, drat.

e: found it, I used https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14b-e8DNoRXiS2NtTjoAGNGguVG34C_uS_XIPMWMLH3s/edit#gid=0

Barreft fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 15, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of the reasons for mixing things up was to keep a mix of Jordantext throughout, rather than having long stretches of sandersontext. A sizeable chunk of RJ's AMoL draft was a really long prologue, so a lot of plotlines got pushed back from there.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Captain Monkey posted:

Wax and Wayne are straight up art compared to Lift.

No fuckin kidding

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lift is the best Sanderson character, because you can tell who is absolutely 0 fun by who hates her.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EVGA Longoria posted:

Lift is the best Sanderson character, because you can tell who is absolutely 0 fun by who hates her.

:agreed:

(But Wax and Wayne are good too)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Lift rules, but Wayne owns.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Lift is fine but anyone who doesn't want a story series about Wayne and Lopen traveling the Cosmere and getting in to trouble is a bad person. :colbert:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey guys I didn't know about this thread till just now and I'm not really reading it cause I don't want spoilers.

I picked up The Way Of Kings a while ago on a total whim - I had finished up my recent reading list and didn't have anything else to read, I knew literally nothing about it or about Brandon Sanderson, I just saw that it got good reviews. I was absolutely and totally hooked after a few chapters. The characters, the slow exploration and detailed explanations of the world, the story that slowly expanded to something amazing - I loved it. I burned through all 3 books (in audiobook) in less than two months, which is a feat since the books are enormous and I don't have much time for reading, but I made time.

After burning through them all I hit post-good-book-depression. What else could live up to that? I picked up the cosmere collection, thinking it would be another set of mini-books like the one about Lift, hoping that it would sustain me. After the first one (about soulforging), and was intrigued because it was obviously not part of the same world. Then the intro to the next novella said that it had major spoilers to another book. Imagine my surprise on doing some research to find out that there is a whole separate series and another standalone book.

Man, I've got a lot of reading to do.

:D

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, you've certainly fallen down the rabbit hole.

I'd suggest you read warbreaker next

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, definitely Warbreaker next.

There's another book set on the soulforging world, though it's not very obvious. It's Elantris, Sanderson's first book. Most fans agree that it is one of his weakest works, his writing definitely got better with time.

Be sure to read the Mistborn books in order. Original trilogy first (Final Empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages), then the Wax & Wayne books.

I would love to hear your thoughts when you read/after you've read Warbreaker. I think all of us posting here have read Warbreaker before Stormlight, so I'm very curious what people think who have read Stormlight first.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Would secret history go after the first 3 mistborns or after 3 wax&wayne?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

Would secret history go after the first 3 mistborns or after 3 wax&wayne?

Definitely after the wax and wayne

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Well, you've certainly fallen down the rabbit hole.

I'd suggest you read warbreaker next

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, definitely Warbreaker next.

There's another book set on the soulforging world, though it's not very obvious. It's Elantris, Sanderson's first book. Most fans agree that it is one of his weakest works, his writing definitely got better with time.

Be sure to read the Mistborn books in order. Original trilogy first (Final Empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages), then the Wax & Wayne books.

I would love to hear your thoughts when you read/after you've read Warbreaker. I think all of us posting here have read Warbreaker before Stormlight, so I'm very curious what people think who have read Stormlight first.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking about Mistborn next, so its good to have some guidance. What do you think, Warbreaker -> Mistborn -> Elantris and then finish the Cosmere Collection?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taffer posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking about Mistborn next, so its good to have some guidance. What do you think, Warbreaker -> Mistborn -> Elantris and then finish the Cosmere Collection?

Sounds about right. You might want to put elantris after mistborn 3 just to get some breathing room for the timeskip, it's up to you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taffer posted:

That's a good order, but if you liked or didn't mind Lift, then you could read Edgedancer after (or even before) Warbreaker. It's a short Stormlight novella set between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer, and follows the PoV of our favorite edgedancer. But you can safely skip it if you thought Lift wasn't awesome at all. I still liked it though.

After that, Mistborn -> Elantris -> Rest (basically Arcanum Unbounded without Edgedancer)

You should read Secret History after the last (for now) Wax & Wayne book.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
At a minimum I'd recommend reading Edgedancer just to set up the whole Skybreaker thing and to introduce some crazy SHAPESHIFTING BUG PEOPLE. Even if you can't stand Lift it does have some solid worldbuilding in it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Looking over the original post, it seems like Taffer has already read Edgedancer. Oops.

So definitely Warbreaker next.

Are there any Cosmere books missing from Arcanum Unbounded, apart from the big four (SA, Mistborn series, Elantris, Warbreaker)?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I hate Lift and Wayne both. Lopen is good though.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Hating Lift is a bad opinion. She adds such a fresh perspective to the books.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

She is like the medieval version of "t3H p3nGu1n 0f d0oM"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Lift is the best character because you can tell who is 14 years old by who thinks her lolrandommonkeycheese!!!! is clever or amusing.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Lift is the best character because you can tell who is exactly 18 years old by who thinks her attitude is immature and pointless and fails to see the thirty foot high letters of subtext, instead just insisting that All Fantasy Must Always Be Serious.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chernabog posted:

She is like the medieval version of "t3H p3nGu1n 0f d0oM"

ya it rules

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fun is not only allowed, but encouraged.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jorenko posted:

Lift is the best character because you can tell who is exactly 18 years old by who thinks her attitude is immature and pointless and fails to see the thirty foot high letters of subtext, instead just insisting that All Fantasy Must Always Be Serious.

it's impressive people can read edgedancer and everything, yet still not catch that her entire persona is this facade meant to resist change and avoid dealing with childhood trauma (which she ironically went to an entity created by what is basically the God of Change to get help with)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ekeog posted:

it's impressive people can read edgedancer and everything, yet still not catch that her entire persona is this facade meant to resist change and avoid dealing with childhood trauma (which she ironically went to an entity created by what is basically the God of Change to get help with)

I think it's quite possible to realize that while still finding her behavior grating. I enjoyed Edgedancer overall, but her excessively infantile behavior made it really rough at points. It probably doesn't help that I read it via audio book, and Kate Reading has a really annoying tendency to extremely over-exaggerate anything potentially immature about characters - she'll turn an innocuous question into something really petulant and grating. Did the same thing to Shallan to extreme effect.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Taffer posted:

Kate Reading has a really annoying tendency to extremely over-exaggerate anything potentially immature about characters - she'll turn an innocuous question into something really petulant and grating. Did the same thing to Shallan to extreme effect.

I thought I was the only one who heard this. It's like she elongates the vocals at the end of every other word but only for the female characters and it drives me crazy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Taffer posted:

I think it's quite possible to realize that while still finding her behavior grating. I enjoyed Edgedancer overall, but her excessively infantile behavior made it really rough at points. It probably doesn't help that I read it via audio book, and Kate Reading has a really annoying tendency to extremely over-exaggerate anything potentially immature about characters - she'll turn an innocuous question into something really petulant and grating. Did the same thing to Shallan to extreme effect.

Yeah, the character is a bad, boring trope, and the narration made it even worse.

Lift is the tiny tina of cosmere.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet here, new Powder Mage book out in the second trilogy, Wrath of Empire: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0756CYZ7G/

For those who don't know, the author is a former student of Sanderson's and his writing is fairly Sanderson-esque.

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015
The second trilogy is a pale imitation of the first though. McLellan killed/retired all but one of his excellent pov characters by the end of Autum Republic and then chose not to use Taniel in Unkillable Mad Jack and the Magical Magufin Pillar.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It seems like a long time since the last powder mage book. I can't remember where it was even left off?

However the magic system he made is really cool, I did enjoy those books, I will probably pick it up once I can find a good synopsis to catch up on the story again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dravs posted:

It seems like a long time since the last powder mage book. I can't remember where it was even left off?

However the magic system he made is really cool, I did enjoy those books, I will probably pick it up once I can find a good synopsis to catch up on the story again.

I tried to find a plot summary of sins of empire before digging into the new one, and couldn't, so I just went with it. It's working out.

At the end of sins, the Dynize perform a naval assault of Landfall and Vlora Flint leads the city defense in a huge battle. Lindet, the ruler of the whole place takes off without telling anyone. I think Ben Styke gets caught up in the fight around the godstone but I forget what happens there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Which fantasy series/books would you guys recommend I move on to next?

I've already listened to:
Sanderson (missing Warbreaker and Elantris which I plan to get to eventually)
Kingkiller Chronicles
Gentleman Bastards
Licanius trilogy
Cycle of Arawn (Not the best but just okay)