Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

WMain00 posted:

A good amount of the Scotland lads need to sort their heads out, otherwise there's no way we're going to win the championship.

Of course you won't, it's going down to an Edinburgh vs Glasgow Final which we will win easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

slothrop posted:

I’m a little surprised not to have heard anything from Pocock about Folau

Yeah, same.
I'd say he was told to pull his head in by the ARU after the Australian Story episode aired and he was outed as a bleeding heart conversationalist who actively protested against CSG mining. I mean, if he'd just limited himself to being an avid bible basher who had the common sense to stay within the biblical lines, he'd be fine right now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Nick Phipps got thrown out of a bar because he dressed up like a cow and peed all over the place.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/waratahs-phipps-thrown-out-of-pub-for-urinating-on-bar-20180430-p4zcfq.html

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is some high grade poo poo.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
That rainbow AB jersey is brilliant.

Vagabundo posted:

Nick Phipps got thrown out of a bar because he dressed up like a cow and peed all over the place.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/waratahs-phipps-thrown-out-of-pub-for-urinating-on-bar-20180430-p4zcfq.html
Even the old school 'boys will be boys' crowd would have to be embarrassed that the team Waratahs club captain was paralytic drunk and pissing on the bar before 10pm.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 1, 2018

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

He's not the team captain.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The SRU have are setting up a new six tram semi pro league, to bridge the gap between the club game and the pro districts.

In their infinite wisdom they have chosen three Edinburgh based franchises, and none in Glasgow. Jesus wept.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

HappyCamperGL posted:

The SRU have are setting up a new six tram semi pro league, to bridge the gap between the club game and the pro districts.

In their infinite wisdom they have chosen three Edinburgh based franchises, and none in Glasgow. Jesus wept.

Typical SRU elitism really, it's of absolutely no surprise whatsoever.

I suspect the Super 6 will largely become an irrelevancy anyway, but failing to include a Glasgow team into it makes it even more so.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Do you want power tries? Because you're getting power tries...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/03/flashing-lights-seven-point-tries-and-rolling-subs-its-world-series-rugby

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

New squidge video for those who haven't subscribed already (subscribe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxBqQWZRlU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Exclusive live coverage of Power Rugby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SuUFl0tj94&t=51s

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/103656982/irish-rugby-player-tadhg-furlong-addicted-to-the-most-irish-thing-ever-potatoes

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

How is that even possible?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Potatoes are loving delicious though.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

bessantj posted:

How is that even possible?

Money. Or rather the lack of it in Scottish Rugby. Ideally the SRU would organise new franchises so they are geographically balanced and provide a clear pathway from the amateur/schools/university rugby to the two pro districts (Something like Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Stirling, Borders, and Dundee). But they can't afford to do that so they instead opened it to a competitive tendering process amongst extant clubs - rather then based on an holistic view of what is required for Sottish Rugby to survive/grow There are four historic regions (Edinburgh, Glasgow, The South, and North & Midlands), and the original SRU guidance was that no region would have more then two of the six franchises, but they chose to ignore/change that at some point. Indeed two of the successful clubs (Bouroughmuir, and Watsonians) are less than ten minutes walk from each other.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
It's worth noting that some of the clubs from the east have better facilities and a larger supporter base than the Edinburgh Pro 12 team.

The Pro 12 Pro 17 recently ditched their TV deal for an online streaming deal worth 3 times more. It's unofficially official that the deal includes the remaining South African team s (Sharks, Lions, Stormers) joining the league, and that the Canadian and American teams originally lined up to take part in the Pro 12 will take their place in Super Rugby, to form a North American conference, which will also include The Jaguars.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 6, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Why does this sound eerily similar to the Waratahs?

It's the George Smith story all over again.

For those that don't know this little parable, back in like, 98 or 99, Scott Johnson was coaching at the club level in the NSW competition. His team, Manly, went up against Penrith, who were a largely unheralded, unfancied outfit, and Manly were expected to win with ease. Instead, a Tongan teenager playing at 7 for Penrith tore them apart in the breakdown, stealing the ball away like a thief in the night, and Manly were swept aside. An excited Johnson immediately got in touch with Waratahs scouts, telling them about this "George Smith kid," and how he was something special, and "holy poo poo, get him into the Waratahs!" He was told by an unimpressed Waratahs scout that yes, they knew who George Smith was, but they only rated him the 6th best openside in New South Wales so they weren't interested.

Meanwhile, a Brumbies scout had also heard about him, went to check him out, and got him a contract for the 2000 Super Rugby season. With Smith at 7, the Brumbies would go on to make 5 straight play-off appearances during 2000~2004, making 4 finals and winning 2 titles. The Waratahs only made the play-offs once during this period, where they were soundly defeated by the Brumbies at home.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Looks like Cam Redpath, son of former Scotland captain Bryan Redpath is going to get capped for England. That's three promising players Scotland have missed out on now with Gary Graham, Ben Vellecott, and now Redpath.

Bugger.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

It's the George Smith story all over again.

For those that don't know this little parable, back in like, 98 or 99, Scott Johnson was coaching at the club level in the NSW competition. His team, Manly, went up against Penrith, who were a largely unheralded, unfancied outfit, and Manly were expected to win with ease. Instead, a Tongan teenager playing at 7 for Penrith tore them apart in the breakdown, stealing the ball away like a thief in the night, and Manly were swept aside. An excited Johnson immediately got in touch with Waratahs scouts, telling them about this "George Smith kid," and how he was something special, and "holy poo poo, get him into the Waratahs!" He was told by an unimpressed Waratahs scout that yes, they knew who George Smith was, but they only rated him the 6th best openside in New South Wales so they weren't interested.

Meanwhile, a Brumbies scout had also heard about him, went to check him out, and got him a contract for the 2000 Super Rugby season. With Smith at 7, the Brumbies would go on to make 5 straight play-off appearances during 2000~2004, making 4 finals and winning 2 titles. The Waratahs only made the play-offs once during this period, where they were soundly defeated by the Brumbies at home.

STOP STOP I CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT.
The early Brumbies teams were literally just castoffs from the Reds and Waratahs systems that had no other options other than to go to hell a place Australians call Greenland.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
:getin: Leinster.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

lol, after all the kerfuffle around dodgy romanian referees both spain and romania have been kicked out of rwc for fielding ineligible players.

so russia will be 'europe 1' and portugal/germany will play-off for the right to be beaten by samoa.

this also means that romania will drop off the list of teams who have been at every world cup.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty lame gently caress up someone made in each camp.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, Hong Kong are looking good to potentially make the Repechage play-off against Oceania 4 (which has turned out to be the Cook Islands).

Hong Kong, South Korea and Malaysia are competing in the Asia Rugby Championship for 2018, where the winner advances to the repechage round.

Hong Kong have won 2 of the 4 fixtures they play, with 1 Bonus Point, putting them 4 points ahead of South Korea.

Malaysia, who are 0 from 2, will be unlikely to qualify, having soundly lost their 2 home fixtures, with games in Incheon and Hong Kong to look forward to.

If South Korea will need several things to go their way. They must
1. Win with a margin large enough in Incheon against Malaysia that it both wipes out Hong Kong's current lead in PD (+68 to +16) and keep Hong Kong within striking distance

and

2. Beat Hong Kong in an away fixture with a bonus point and a large enough margin to overcome any Points Differential lead that HK may take into the game.

They also need Hong Kong to either lose to Malyasia (which probably isn't going to happen), or get complacent and fail to win with a bonus point against them.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

goatface posted:

That's a pretty lame gently caress up someone made in each camp.

I'm sure the IRB were relieved to have found other grounds to deem the match invalid.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The Crusaders-Waratahs match this weekend was loving mental and I encourage you to seek out the highlights.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

The Crusaders-Waratahs match this weekend was loving mental and I encourage you to seek out the highlights.

Does someone just repeatedly slap the taste out of Folau's mouth for being a dick? If so, I'll watch that.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Does someone just repeatedly slap the taste out of Folau's mouth for being a dick? If so, I'll watch that.

It’s funnier than that in many ways. Waratahs scored four tries and were up 29-0 after half an hour. And still managed to lose. And the ref missed the most blatant sending off I’ve seen in a while.

https://youtu.be/uyzEhluOKN8

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Excellent highlights - was the blatant sending off not in there? What happened?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

fallingdownjoe posted:

Excellent highlights - was the blatant sending off not in there? What happened?

It wasn't picked up. He got 2 weeks for a clothesline to Kurtley Beale.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Good. gently caress that guy.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

It’s funnier than that in many ways. Waratahs scored four tries and were up 29-0 after half an hour. And still managed to lose. And the ref missed the most blatant sending off I’ve seen in a while.

https://youtu.be/uyzEhluOKN8

:getin:

I like to think games like this is just God styling on Folau for being a massive tool.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

My club (Gloucester) changed the club badge this week and so many people threw a hissy fit about it on facebook they've agreed to pay for a tattoo of the new badge to anyone who currently has a tattoo of the old one

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope it's a really poo poo looking new badge.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

It looks a bit like the (old) UKIP logo

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, it's a bit Britain First looking.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Well Gloucester voted 58% for Leave so

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Hmm Glasgow seem to be trying a 'tackling is optional' strategy against Scarlets. It is not going well so far...

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What the gently caress is going on with Glasgow at the moment? :(

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Glasgow bad. Scarlets better. John Lacey terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

Glasgow bad. Scarlets better. John Lacey terrible.

Sums it up really.

What is it about ireland that produces such terrible referees? Clancy, lacey, Wilkinson et al are just shite; they should not be in charge of professional rugby matches.