Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Enemy management in Musou games is usually about cutting off the head of larger squads - the sea of normal baddies are just there to distract you or whittle you down on the way to the officers, which are the mobs that do the actual damage to your own army. Chopping up the mooks is enormously cathartic and how you get money/EXP/meter, but a lot of victory conditions in Musou consist of beelining to the officers or to the enemy spawn gates and taking them out so your map stops drowning in red.

It took me a while to realize musou is a first person rts and not just hack n slash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How does Hyrule Warriors run in handheld mode? I know it's supposed to be lower res and lower frame rate, but is it at least consistent? I still haven't plugged my Switch into a TV.

Also what's the deal with games running worse in handheld anyway? I can understand the lower resolution (smaller screen) but why do many games halve the fps in handheld mode? Save battery life? If so it should run in 60 if I plug in the charger while playing too damnit :( I just want to lie in bed and play my Switch.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

Hey Canadian goons - it looks like Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is $40 off right now at ebgames.
https://www.ebgames.ca/Switch/Games/732738/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle.

For those that have played it - it's pretty decent, right?

Thanks for this heads up awhile back... just got around to picking it up for $36 +tax using Best Buy's competitive pricing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

If you haven't bought gamers club unlocked and are on the fence I'd recommend doing it like, this second.

anything unique about it compared to what Amazon Prime has for the 10 or so dollars off for preorders?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Computer posted:

How does Hyrule Warriors run in handheld mode? I know it's supposed to be lower res and lower frame rate, but is it at least consistent? I still haven't plugged my Switch into a TV.

Also what's the deal with games running worse in handheld anyway? I can understand the lower resolution (smaller screen) but why do many games halve the fps in handheld mode? Save battery life? If so it should run in 60 if I plug in the charger while playing too damnit :( I just want to lie in bed and play my Switch.

In handheld mode they cut the GPU clock in half (not exactly half, it's running at a little more than half I think) primarily for battery reasons, but also the console could get hot and uncomfortable. They also can run the fan faster when docked because noise is less of a concern. They don't need as much GPU because max resolution in handheld is 720p of course.

I think the reason they don't up the clock in handheld if you are charging is because then developers would have to program in three different modes into every game instead of two, the fan would be too noisy, console too warm.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

In handheld mode they cut the GPU clock in half (not exactly half, it's running at a little more than half I think) primarily for battery reasons, but also the console could get hot and uncomfortable. They also can run the fan faster when docked because noise is less of a concern. They don't need as much GPU because max resolution in handheld is 720p of course.

I think the reason they don't up the clock in handheld if you are charging is because then developers would have to program in three different modes into every game instead of two, the fan would be too noisy, console too warm.

Eh, those are all actually good points :(

I guess even the Switch can't be perfect (only nearly perfect)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

anything unique about it compared to what Amazon Prime has for the 10 or so dollars off for preorders?
GCU is 20% off any new game, that's new in contrast to used. Prime used to do their 20% for 2 weeks after release but now its preorder only and that's garbage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hyrule Warriors has so many systems it feels kinda overwhelming as a beginner. What stuff should I focus on and what should I ignore until later?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RatHat posted:

Hyrule Warriors has so many systems it feels kinda overwhelming as a beginner. What stuff should I focus on and what should I ignore until later?

Just play Story Mode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Would it make sense to play through the entire story mode before touching adventure?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can mix it up a bit but Adventure mode gets hard quick and will expect sufficiently leveled characters, I'd go with Story at least for a while

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What do you guys think, DK Tropical Freeze or Hyrule Warriors? Two totally different genres, and I've never played either.

For those of you who've played both, what are your gut reactions to this question?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Adventure unlocks new weapons and the easy ones aren't too bad. I went after Marin with some level 1 characters and regretted it super hard. did clear a pretty good chunk of the early maps on the WiiU version, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
traded in fire emblem warriors, surprised how high the value was after so many months. Or maybe switch games in general retain value.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

What do you guys think, DK Tropical Freeze or Hyrule Warriors? Two totally different genres, and I've never played either.

For those of you who've played both, what are your gut reactions to this question?

I mean all things being equal and in terms of time for money, DKTF is pretty short (you can clear all the stages over a long weekend if you're inclined) whereas HW last just shy of forever if you don't get sick of it.

I'd say wait for a price drop on TF but this is Nintendo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Macaluso posted:

It's not real

mods!!!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

Hyrule warriors, definitely.

I got the 3ds version and spent hundreds of hours on it. Its fun to figure out how to best turn your characters into murderblenders.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hi my uncle who works at Nintendo revealed unto me hidden E3 secrets

Wario Party

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wario Ware: Rammers

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Tropical Freeze unless you hate platformers. It's excellent.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Thanks guys, Hyrule Warriors it is!

^^^ edit: lol. Yeah, that one's next on the list.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 18, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Tropical Freeze is a better game but Hyrule Warriors is fun and has insane amounts of content so it’s probably worth buying first unless you hate Warriors games.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Your Computer posted:

So uh... if I'm gonna be an idiot and buy Hyrule Warriors for the third time, I need some advice.

I think my biggest obstacle to truly enjoying the game was that it always constantly felt like I was losing. Fort is falling, captain is dying, a strong foe appears, another fort needs your help, the enemy is attacking our main base, just a constant stream of poo poo going south everywhere on the map at once. Where do you even start, what do you do? :( I just felt like whenever I did something good like taking a fort, another fort had already fallen or something even worse was happening in the meantime. I would help one character and then another would be in trouble on the other side of the map. It doesn't help that the game constantly bombards you with messages and it's hard to filter the important stuff out, but even then I'm bad at prioritizing.

I just want to have fun beating mooks up with my cool Zelda characters.

Did you play the WiiU version? Now you can play as or command your other hero characters, so you can pause and send them around the map to cover different areas instead of trying to run everywhere as a single character. It makes everything more manageable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Tropical Freeze unless you hate platformers. It's excellent.

TF is really good but it has some pretty glaring weaknesses, mainly the over-reliance on Dixie (not only does she trivialize most of the platforming but she's also mandatory for a bunch of the game's secrets, and makes Diddy totally irrelevant), the swimming controls and World 4 in particular (which combines the most swimming with the blandest stages), and the bosses. I'm actually fine with most of the boss fights since they can be more or less neutered by just bringing a few extra Kong Barrels into the stage, but the final boss combines a ridiculous run time with insta-death attacks and that's just not cricket.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I like the bosses I just think they should have checkpoints or something.

All the HW discussion has led to me pulling out Fire Emblem warriors again. It really is fun, it's nice to have warriors games on the Switch.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Can you imagine if Star F-0x: Rammers was actually announced and that was the title. He knew all along.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

THE loving MOON posted:

Apparently Europe is getting an online bbtag beta afterall, runs from today til the 20th. I might try to set up a euro account so i can play some more. :p

Oh nice, gunna check this out

Oh nevermind, apparently AU Switch store is different from EU....

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 18, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hyrule Warriors looks, like, ten times better on the Switch than it did when I played on the Wii U.

Is that just because I have a 4K TV now, or did they actually go and replace all the little bokoblins with models who actually have faces? Because this looks like a complete graphical upgrade.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RZA Encryption posted:

Wario Ware: Rammers

Wario Ware: gently caress My Fat rear end With A Switch

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Turns out, when you know the game and what works, like me, you can get a decent way into the game without the requisite items. Or perhaps Velezark prepared me for battling Giant Bosses without sub-items...

Either way, I now have Toon Link and am about to get Medli soon, after which I have everything I need to have to get Yuga. I'm not even finished with the Prologue chapters yet.

Also, it appears the materials you need to unlock character badges have been rearranged a little. Ravio requires Monster Horn materials in this game whereas that wasn't the case in Legends.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Wario Ware: Grab The Devil By The Horns And gently caress Him Up The rear end Deluxe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1cSk_Z8TjM

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I’m gonna play Hyrule Musou in handheld mode and you can’t stop me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Hyrule Warriors playable in 60fps in portable mode?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've been playing it in portable and it seems pretty smooth? IDGAF about fps usually though so I dunno if its constant 60, but I haven't notice stutter or lag like Fire Emblem Warriors had.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's probably 30fps, but you won't really notice or care when the action hits.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

homeless snail posted:

GCU is 20% off any new game, that's new in contrast to used. Prime used to do their 20% for 2 weeks after release but now its preorder only and that's garbage.

Sounds like GCU is being eliminated.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Since nobody answered my question about wireless coop with two Switches in Hyrule Warriors I will assume it doesn't have it? It said wireless play on the eshop screen which is annoying.

Has anyone tried the split-screen coop? Is it good? Does it run significantly better than on the WiiU, where not enough enemies would spawn to allow you to get A tanks in levels so it made things more difficult?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hand Row posted:

Sounds like GCU is being eliminated.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/997610067644985344

If you're still good for a while, Smash Brothers comes with a $10 gift card equivalent in reward points.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm good on GCU until December, after that I guess I'm buying digital from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They must have had almost no margin. I really doubt people are going to be buying games from bestbuy now

• Locked thread