Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Cavill's character is a CIA guy who's sent to track Hunt down when he goes rogue. He seems like a villain based on the trailers, but who knows, maybe he'll do a face turn.

This is like, rival territory, not an out an out villain. He's a good guy with what sounds like good intentions. It'd be cool to see him compete with Ethan in this or the next movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think he's the villian, per se. I think based on the new trailer he's been set to hunt (:v:) down Ethan if he goes rogue. And as Ethan is wont to do, he goes rogue. But I bet by the end they team up against the real villain and become besties :3:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"The more brutal, thuggish Ethan Hunt" is actually a good character idea.

Also the guy in Fallout was the bad guy in the last movie (Solomon Kane) so maybe they're turning over a new leaf or something. IDK. McQuarrie is the first guy to direct two in a row so we'll see what happens.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

I don't think he's the villian, per se. I think based on the new trailer he's been set to hunt (:v:) down Ethan if he goes rogue. And as Ethan is wont to do, he goes rogue. But I bet by the end they team up against the real villain and become besties :3:

They’ll beat the poo poo out of each other and take a break to beat the poo poo out of the villain then possibly Cavill will still try to kill Hunt anyways (nothing personal). I’m not sure Hunt would kill him for doing his job but he probably will. Or use it to take his death and finally be done doing impossible poo poo.’

Or in true MI fashion, Hunt will use the knowledge that Cavill will come after him to lead him/the CIA to the real bad guys.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If we're all lucky, Cavill will join the IMF team and Ethan will take an administrative role.

If we're REALLY lucky, the IMF will go independent once and for all.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Unfortunately, I laughed more watching this:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz3RpiljFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZARc4TGjL7A

i miss vine

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

kiimo posted:

Deadpool just broke the box office record for an R-rated movie on a Thursday (It had the record).

Weren't you insinuating earlier on that this one wasn't going to do well or be well received, something about a bad test screening or something, looks like it's set to be a much enjoyed massive success what happened there?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

feedmyleg posted:

Happytime Murders looks dreadful. Nothing there is working at all.

It's the concept of Melissa McCarthy punching a crackhead puppet in the face that got me.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Another one of these stupid loving things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVdHJuVydb4

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wandle Cax posted:

Weren't you insinuating earlier on that this one wasn't going to do well or be well received, something about a bad test screening or something, looks like it's set to be a much enjoyed massive success what happened there?

I think it's a little too early to call how much-enjoyed it is. All the stuff from that bad test screening leak is in the movie and isn't good; the thing is, though, everything else in the movie is very good.

It really depends on how much a few black marks can ruin a mostly fantastic movie for you, and if you even notice or care about those black marks in the first place. There's also the fact that one of the big things is gonna play badly with X-Men fans and probably not make regular audiences bat an eye at all (Juggernaut's death is, uh, extremely undignified after the character not really getting a lot of screen time).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 19, 2018

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

God drat that looks awful. Not even just the movie, but the trailer itself as well.

At the same time it does make you appreciate Meet the Feebles, which actually has a plot and loads of creativity to it.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 19, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think it's a little too early to call how much-enjoyed it is. All the stuff from that bad test screening leak is in the movie and isn't good; the thing is, though, everything else in the movie is very good.

It really depends on how much a few black marks can ruin a mostly fantastic movie for you, and if you even notice or care about those black marks in the first place. There's also the fact that one of the big things is gonna play badly with X-Men fans and probably not make regular audiences bat an eye at all (Juggernaut's death is, uh, extremely undignified after the character not really getting a lot of screen time).

Deadpool 2 is good, and I loving hate Marvel movies at this point. The satire is on-point.

I'd say the DP movies have single-handedly revived the horse-hosed corpse of the X-Men franchise.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 19, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Peccadillo posted:

hell yeah, a movie where the irl bad guys are told whats up

i kinda get it cause it seems impossible to pull off in contemporary america above a certain level

on the other hand, it lets the steam out so everyone remains annoyed but not enough to revolve

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Juggernaut survived, you can just see him slowly starting to emerge from the pool as the heroes are walking away right at the end.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 19, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

#resist

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

excited for The Post expanded universe

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

pigdog posted:

God drat that looks awful. Not even just the movie, but the trailer itself as well.

At the same time it does make you appreciate Meet the Feebles, which actually has a plot and loads of creativity to it.

Meet the Feebles is not a movie I love or can even watch more than once but it's definitely going for something unique and pretty shocking for the time. This just looks like utter garbage that's 20 years too late. They should've just played it totally straight and it maybe could've worked instead of this loving lazy poo poo.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 19, 2018

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
shock and awe does look stupid, otoh i am pretty stoked for the adam mckay dick cheney biopic

christian bale wrecking his body for our amusement never gets old

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Just wanted to pop in and say that I have a long standing belief that the people who make trailers are better at their jobs than the people who make movies.

I watch trailers and want to see the poo poo out of that movie.

Also, how do Netflix trailers work? Netflix has started to run mini trailers when you linger on a title, but it is very passive and different from the actual trailers, so it’s not like they’re reusing footage. But at the same time, they’re clearly put together specifically for Netflix because they’re quite well done.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to understand why Brian Henson couldn't get funding for it for, like, 25 years.
The thing about the Happy Time Murders that had people excited about it was the concept art that looked stark, atmospheric, and downright pretty. I think people had it in their head that we were going to get a legitimately good looking noir that was only a comedy by the nature of its own absurdity but otherwise played with a straight face, kind of like Riverdale.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ik haat vakantjie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXxgUSk6sVY

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I mean if they’re just gonna make a goofy “lookit the puppets doin’ wacky violent adult poo poo” movie, why not just film Avenue Q? It’s all that plus a very nice message of “life could turn to poo poo at any moment and not everyone finds what they’re meant to do so suck it up”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

You might be thinking about another film which I won’t name.

The only negative thing I believe I said was being annoyed at early material having some lame jokes. The same thing happened with the first one. It’s like Reynolds takes time to get on a roll with the character and then the good poo poo starts flowing in and keeps going even after the film is released.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

The only negative thing I believe I said was being annoyed at early material having some lame jokes. The same thing happened with the first one. It’s like Reynolds takes time to get on a roll with the character and then the good poo poo starts flowing in and keeps going even after the film is released.

They're talking about DP2 but this didn't come from you, it's buzz from elsewhere on the internet. You've expressed nonspecific worry about The Predator, mostly because they aren't showing you anything.

Basically with DP2 the SXSW cut of the movie was incredibly badly received, and they reshot apparently like a solid third of the movie to change what people hated (including the entire after-credits scene being newly added and pretty much existing to retcon a couple of the things people REALLY hated).

e: Apparently the SXSW cut is 20 minutes longer and has Black Tom Cassidy as the main villain, instead of the finished movie, where he's briefly set up as a major villain and then gets instantly chumped by Cable.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 19, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Peccadillo posted:

Oh hay, another one of these exploitive things long after the fact versus during that time when it was difficult for anyone to express the truth because people wanted to use a tragedy to justify inhumanity so people everyone knew were evil could profit off of war. One of these things that keeps happening all the time. At least it's better than the self fellatio of all the other war movies like American Sniper or Lone Wolfman or Heroic All White American Brown Killer Whatever the gently caress.

These are my least favorite Hollywood movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gatts posted:

Oh hay, another one of these exploitive things long after the fact versus during that time when it was difficult for anyone to express the truth because people wanted to use a tragedy to justify inhumanity so people everyone knew were evil could profit off of war. One of these things that keeps happening all the time. At least it's better than the self fellatio of all the other war movies like American Sniper or Lone Wolfman or Heroic All White American Brown Killer Whatever the gently caress.

These are my least favorite Hollywood movies.

The spectacle of 'the complex' self-perpetuates.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

I mean, the film is full of bad jokes, but it also has some really good ones.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I saw the Happytime red band trailer with Deadpool 2 in a packed theater and the crowd went nuts for it. Cheering and laughing all the way through. These are the people that pay for movies.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I saw the Happytime red band trailer with Deadpool 2 in a packed theater and the crowd went nuts for it. Cheering and laughing all the way through. These are the people that pay for movies.

Manchildren are a gold mine of disposable income

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean if they’re just gonna make a goofy “lookit the puppets doin’ wacky violent adult poo poo” movie, why not just film Avenue Q? It’s all that plus a very nice message of “life could turn to poo poo at any moment and not everyone finds what they’re meant to do so suck it up”
Avenue Q needs a bit of polishing if it ever gets polished up into a film. It's a very early 2000s play in terms of how it deals with homosexuality and racism. Not to mention Gary Coleman being dead.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Muppet Gary Coleman is the answer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm down for pretty much everything that's happening in Bleeding Steel.

https://youtu.be/PycUqhQxR1Y

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Why does the "plot" for the dumb Muppet movie seem so familiar? Wasn't there an online short film that dumb people loved like 6-7 years ago that was very similar if not identical? I can't find it but I swear it was a thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WarEternal posted:

Why does the "plot" for the dumb Muppet movie seem so familiar? Wasn't there an online short film that dumb people loved like 6-7 years ago that was very similar if not identical? I can't find it but I swear it was a thing.

Puppet cop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAuefw_Yqmg

The other Puppet Cop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGIHMiOy4s

Puppet rapist?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DD0pBgotC0

Wendell
May 11, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm down for pretty much everything that's happening in Bleeding Steel.

https://youtu.be/PycUqhQxR1Y

Wow, some spectacular incongruency from scene to scene of this trailer!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wendell posted:

Wow, some spectacular incongruency from scene to scene of this trailer!

I love it. It's like every cut is from a different, awesome movie.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah, it was probably one of these but I'm not gonna watch through them to find out. Thanks for assuaging my brain.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

In the Loop did this but was funny. I don't get why a true story has to be boring as poo poo.

This thread is cool though, I had seen a couple A24 movies in the past couple years, but started to go through more and there is a lot of solid gold. Just watched Free Fire, it was pretty fun.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Meghan and Harry is not the only royal wedding that matters. Remember these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtd3OBkGg64

Of course everyone remembers Princess Wheelchair.