Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Chuck would have been the first in UFC.

Did PRIDE pay out that much to Rickson?

I think there's a chance Chuck never cleared a million in above-board pay. He was definitely their highest-paid fighter for awhile, but that was also at a time when the UFC's pay structure was considerably lower and they didn't yet confirm that anyone was getting PPV points period. He definitely SHOULD be the first, if he didn't clear a million for UFC 66 it'd be a loving crime.

Snowden always said he heard from Rickson's people that Pride paid him a million, but Pride didn't disclose until they came to America so it's hard to know for sure and Rickson has this thing about inflating numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CarlCX posted:

I think there's a chance Chuck never cleared a million in above-board pay. He was definitely their highest-paid fighter for awhile, but that was also at a time when the UFC's pay structure was considerably lower and they didn't yet confirm that anyone was getting PPV points period. He definitely SHOULD be the first, if he didn't clear a million for UFC 66 it'd be a loving crime.

Snowden always said he heard from Rickson's people that Pride paid him a million, but Pride didn't disclose until they came to America so it's hard to know for sure and Rickson has this thing about inflating numbers.

agree and lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CarlCX posted:

Chuck definitely made over a million a fight on a couple of his bigger fights. The structure of those contracts came out in a lawsuit, maybe the Randy one?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

This is from the Chael-cast so who knows, but he indicates big headliners equal multi-million paydays.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Log posted:

This is from the Chael-cast so who knows, but he indicates big headliners equal multi-million paydays.

There are a few guys who have made $5 million or more. Based on the contract he was offered by UFC Eddie Alvarez lost out on 7 figures when he couldn't fight Bendo during his Bellator contract dispute. And that was just a guy semi main eventing a 900,000 buy show.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MassRafTer posted:

There are a few guys who have made $5 million or more. Based on the contract he was offered by UFC Eddie Alvarez lost out on 7 figures when he couldn't fight Bendo during his Bellator contract dispute. And that was just a guy semi main eventing a 900,000 buy show.

Chael put a ton of emphasis on how valuable pay per view points but said for legal reasons he couldn't list figures. But I THINK he stated some athletes double and triple their payday with sponsors.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Memento posted:

Which fight best shows off Vitor Belfort in all of his pure-horsemeat special-sauce glory?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG-rml3saNg&t=228s
Vitor vs Wanderlei

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

drat. That Rockhold spinning poo poo is a sick KO.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is chael's loss to anderson still the biggest choke a fighter had going into the end of the fight, ie they were ahead on scorecards and got finished in humiliating fashion

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

STONE COLD 64 posted:

is chael's loss to anderson still the biggest choke a fighter had going into the end of the fight, ie they were ahead on scorecards and got finished in humiliating fashion

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mike Russow owned so much.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I never noticed the polite hammerfist to demonstrate that Duffee was out cold.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

...and the pitch! posted:

That "polite" hammerfist put Duffee into the ICU. Hammerfist of doom.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

STONE COLD 64 posted:

No pun intended, it is indeed the biggest choke. Chael says he thinks about it, constantly, daily.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

...and the pitch! posted:

There's an edit somewhere that has mortal kombat sounds and russow as raiden. It yells finish him when he falls to the ground with a clown nose sound for the bop at the end but I'll be damned if I can find it right now.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXSQ33LL7Q

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

it's really good.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I can't believe that was 8 years ago, jesus.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's the best thing I've ever seen. I love how the hat flies off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's just as good as I remember.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've been wondering this for years... in Tyson vs. Douglas, why did Tyson's corner not have an Enswell? Did they literally forget one? Did they not bother bringing one simply because they didn't think he would get punched that much? How the hell did that happen? Did his corner ever give an answer? Did those guys ever work again?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
IIRC from one of Tyson's bios, Don King successfully blocked out of Tyson's real support by that time, aided by Tyson's own truculence with his original Cus team staff.
The people who were cornering Tyson for Douglas were all incompetent yes men with no real boxing experience. Don King was a penny pincher, so he threw in whoever would cost him the least.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah they were incompetent and Tyson had been training by getting the clap or something.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Has there ever been interviews with them? Do we even know their names? I get saving money by hiring the most incompetent people you can ever find, but even you hire the shittiest carpenter, he's going to at least bring a hammer.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Combat sports is a weird quasi professional industry. That level of incompetence is not something you find surprising after following combat sports for a few years.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

We all know about broken legs from checked kicks like Anderson Silva's leg exploding - but have there been mid fight instances of broken arms/hands/forearms from checked head or body kicks? We see guys block full force head kicks with their hands and forearms constantly but I don't remember any noticeable mid-fight injuries from it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Carlisle posted:

We all know about broken legs from checked kicks like Anderson Silva's leg exploding - but have there been mid fight instances of broken arms/hands/forearms from checked head or body kicks? We see guys block full force head kicks with their hands and forearms constantly but I don't remember any noticeable mid-fight injuries from it.

Wasn't there an arm break in the Liddell/Franklin fight?

Did I dream that Randy got his arm broke vs Gonzaga?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

LobsterMobster posted:

Wasn't there an arm break in the Liddell/Franklin fight?

Did I dream that Randy got his arm broke vs Gonzaga?

yeah both of these are correct. it's not really uncommon for it to happen. the franklin/chuck one and the early forrest griffin vs Edson Paredao are the ones i always think of

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Paul Felder in the first round against Mike Perry at UFC 226 in July. I dont think he broke it elbowing PMP's head - I was pretty sure it was a checked kick, but could be wrong, and the image here from his manager's instagram seems to imply it was from an elbow.

With the Spider leg break, I'm completely amazed that he managed to break both his fibula and tibia. I wondered at first if one of them broke and then the other let go when he tried to stand on it, but it really just went completely floppy after the checked kick. loving nightmare fuel.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Overeem busted Ben Rothwell's arm on a blocked kick during their fight, but Rothwell powered through and won by KO anyway. Also I think back in K1 in 2010 Overeem did the same thing to Gokhan Saki but in that case the fight was stopped when the injury became too obvious to hide (people say Saki was winning on points when it was stopped).

The most hideous case is of course the notorious and completely insane K1 grand prix in which Ernesto Hoost broke Jerome LeBanner's arm, then just repeatedly kicked him in the broken arm, causing him to scream in agony and fall to his knees again and again until the ref called the TKO.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Overeem busted Ben Rothwell's arm on a blocked kick during their fight, but Rothwell powered through and won by KO anyway. Also I think back in K1 in 2010 Overeem did the same thing to Gokhan Saki but in that case the fight was stopped when the injury became too obvious to hide (people say Saki was winning on points when it was stopped).

The most hideous case is of course the notorious and completely insane K1 grand prix in which Ernesto Hoost broke Jerome LeBanner's arm, then just repeatedly kicked him in the broken arm, causing him to scream in agony and fall to his knees again and again until the ref called the TKO.

Tyrone Sponge vs Saki
TKZ popped his shoulder vs aldo

theres a bunch that happened on a fight for the troops card as well

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

TKZ popped his shoulder vs aldo

That was gnarly

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I appreciate all the answers and examples. I looked up a lot of them and especially with things like the Rothwell example drat - it seems insane that someone can break an arm during a fight and still gut through it to pull off a win. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing. Just thinking about how many fighters have broken a hand during a fight and continued to throw punches with it anyway makes me cringe on how much that had to have hurt.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Cant believe i forgot until just now, but Jacare got his arm broke vs Roger Gracie in a bjj match and Souza still won in the end

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Cant believe i forgot until just now, but Jacare got his arm broke vs Roger Gracie in a bjj match and Souza still won in the end

I think it was the IBJJF absolute division finals? Jacare basically tucked his hand into his belt and just carried on.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Puckish Rogue posted:

I think it was the IBJJF absolute division finals? Jacare basically tucked his hand into his belt and just carried on. refused to engage for the remainder of the match

Fixed that for you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It was 2004 mundials, and Jacare was up on points when he broke his arm so he just danced around and ran for the rest of the match while his arm either dangled or was tucked in. Still insane, though.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

butros posted:

Fixed that for you

he neutralized roger's offense, completely shutting him down, much like abu schaubi would later do vs cyborg abreu

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

butros posted:

Fixed that for you

Considering Roger was one of the few who actively looked for subs at that time, you can't blame him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I appreciate all the answers and examples. I looked up a lot of them and especially with things like the Rothwell example drat - it seems insane that someone can break an arm during a fight and still gut through it to pull off a win. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing. Just thinking about how many fighters have broken a hand during a fight and continued to throw punches with it anyway makes me cringe on how much that had to have hurt.

i have personal experience with this, with breaking a collarbone and finishing a bike race (it was something like an hour from where i crashed to the finish line). it takes the edge off your performance but its true you dont feel the pain too badly. frankly speaking a broken bone isnt too bad on the pain scale and luckily the roads were reasonably smooth or i might have cried like a little girl. if a fighter is throwing punches with a broken hand or something its probably just to try and hide it from his opponent, theres no way they will be throwing anything they intend to land with it