Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

ili posted:

Nah that's obviously accidental from a player who never has made questionable tackles let alone got away with two last week.

Oh gee a photo from an angle that shows him wrapping both arms and having a head collision. That proves anything at all.

You could literally take a photo of any tackle where there's contact with the head and make it look like blue murder. It's completely meaningless and if we are going to apply that standard then there will be multiple bins every week.

Luckily they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The only way he's wrapping his arms there is if Sims is behind him.
And if every player who launches themselves recklessly and knocks a player out gets sinbinned, good. Napa has a history of this type of poo poo so gently caress him.

ili fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 19, 2018

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
It isn't a shoulder charge, there shouldn't be any question about that.

The problem is that Napa is clearly flying in with the intention of targetting the head. When Sims changes direction, all that changes is that instead of Napa's shoulder going into his head it becomes a headbutt. Napa's intent and the contact are sufficient to merit a sin bin in my opinion.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

It isn't a shoulder charge, there shouldn't be any question about that.

The problem is that Napa is clearly flying in with the intention of targetting the head. When Sims changes direction, all that changes is that instead of Napa's shoulder going into his head it becomes a headbutt. Napa's intent and the contact are sufficient to merit a sin bin in my opinion.

I disagree. Rewatching the tackle he was clearly going for a bearhug tackle and made connection too early. You see those all the time and the head of the attacker ends up in the chest of the defender. Whilst it was mistimed, we're setting am incredibly low bar for sin bins if that becomes the norm. Thankfully the odds of the refs remembering this past full time are zero.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
We're going to have to disagree on this one then. I've watched replays of the tackle, it looks like Napa is propelling himself upwards, that clearly tells me he's going for the head.

iajanus posted:

Thankfully the odds of the refs remembering this past full time are zero.

NRLrefereeing.txt

The reality is this sort of thing thankfully doesn't too often. What is going to be a problem is picking up cheap penalties by dropping the ball on a tackler that has rolled away and ends up behind the play the ball. The game is going to look really dumb if that happens 3-4 times a game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

We're going to have to disagree on this one then. I've watched replays of the tackle, it looks like Napa is propelling himself upwards, that clearly tells me he's going for the head.

NRLrefereeing.txt

The reality is this sort of thing thankfully doesn't too often. What is going to be a problem is picking up cheap penalties by dropping the ball on a tackler that has rolled away and ends up behind the play the ball. The game is going to look really dumb if that happens 3-4 times a game.

That would kill me

Also lol knights losing a scrum against the feed

Maybe the half back should put the ball in since the full back appears to have no idea how to do so.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

And lol Napa not even charged by the match review committee

Such a serious tackle :rolleyes:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Do the knights want to lose this match?

1pso Facto
Apr 20, 2018
Yeah some very ordinary soft penalties given up by the knights

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Knights defending horrifically and giving away penalties all over the shop. What a way to lose when the opposition have multiple sin bins.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I only saw parts of the second half, but that was a somewhat entertaining cripple fight.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Knights did literally everything possible to throw the match.

They

* gave away heaps of points while up players
* failed to score points while up 2 players
* dropped the ball immediately after scoring, leading to points
* gave a shitton of dumb penalties away, leading to points
* completely collapsed when the game was on the line.

1pso Facto
Apr 20, 2018
A bit like Soufs

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Pretty thrilling/controversal finish to this Souths game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not sure what the controversy was? He was called out specifically for being offside, directly affected the play, and was then called offside. What was wrong about that?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

iajanus posted:

Not sure what the controversy was? He was called out specifically for being offside, directly affected the play, and was then called offside. What was wrong about that?

Oh you're right, nevermind. I only half caught the end and just saw the replay then.

Edit: I hope Manly doesn't poo poo the bed against a Smithless Melbourne now.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 19, 2018

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Oh you're right, nevermind. I only half caught the end and just saw the replay then.

I feel bad for the guy, you just want to rush up and stop the kick. And even after he was called out he had almost no chance to not affect the play. You'd just want the earth to open up and swallow you.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Bit of a ridiculous sin bin that. Can't see why a goal line penalty count threat should continue to apply to play occurring 10min later in the centre of the field.

Edit: What a try! :aaa:

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 19, 2018

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
12 v 11. Love it.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

This is loving hilarious.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

What the fuuuck

Red card for Melbourne and 2 sin bins for Manly. Game is off the rails. :lol:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Actual legit heavy punches landing, is this the 90s?

Walker is a bobshite but he was apparently sinbinned for being punched??? Koroisau should've been sent off rather than binned for that third man in punch from the blind side

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Holy gently caress they can’t even count out ten minutes on the sideline.

1pso Facto
Apr 20, 2018
Yeah just heard that. Super retarded

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Hoping for that dream outcome from a Melbourne v Manly game of no competition points being awarded

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I picked the wrong loving game to go do other stuff after half-time because it was boring

Recording and will watch in the morning

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Smorgasbord posted:

Walker is a bobshite but he was apparently sinbinned for being punched??? Koroisau should've been sent off rather than binned for that third man in punch from the blind side

https://twitter.com/TheNRLRoast/status/997795529487626240

Pretty much lol. I guess it could be argued that he was asking for it because he definitely was mouthing off all game.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Actual legit heavy punches landing, is this the 90s?

Walker is a gobshite but he was apparently sinbinned for being punched??? Koroisau should've been sent off rather than binned for that third man in punch from the blind side

quoted instead of edit but those are all true facts.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 20, 2018

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That could be the worst defensive read of all time by the Dragons. Literally all just gave up on the play for no reason and let the Raiders walk through. The Raider almost didn't put the ball down because it was so easy and bizarre.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Dylan Walker is out six weeks after yesterday's bullshit. It's hard to have any sympathy for him, he talked poo poo and got hit. He was trying to bait the Melbourne player into punching him and got what he wanted in the end.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Wayne Bennett posted:

Wayne Bennett has launched a fiery tirade at the NRL over the match review committee's failure to charge Dylan Napa, accusing the game of having an anti-Brisbane bias.

Whatever you think about the hit this might be the funniest Wayne comment ever.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Jono C posted:

Dylan Walker is out six weeks after yesterday's bullshit. It's hard to have any sympathy for him, he talked poo poo and got hit. He was trying to bait the Melbourne player into punching him and got what he wanted in the end.

I wonder if he's trying to fill the void in the NRL left by one Michael Ennis.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Whatever you think about the hit this might be the funniest Wayne comment ever.

I think he's officially lost the plot.

Meanwhile the Rabbits are going to be cutting ties with the Bears as their feeder club because they went and signed Todd Carney against their wishes. I can't see him being worth the trouble to burn that sort of bridge.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Meanwhile the Rabbits are going to be cutting ties with the Bears as their feeder club because they went and signed Todd Carney against their wishes. I can't see him being worth the trouble to burn that sort of bridge.

Have they actually come out post-signing or will this be yet another ridiculous empty threat?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/norths-and-souths-set-for-split-as-defiant-bears-sign-carney-20180520-p4zgge.html

I"m going off this report.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

From reading elsewhere it looks like Souths and the Bears were always splitting after this year anyway.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

The Fairfax article suggests that the agreement had until the end of 2019 to run, but then it also sounds like the Bears are keen to tell the Rabbits to go gently caress themselves because the cunts are right around the corner ready to bail them out.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, this just seems like they found a brilliant way to get out of a poor arrangement, with a better one lined up. Nicely played.

I will admit I am a member of the bears and hate souths with a passion.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Also colour me surprised

I did not know the bears got their name in the 50s from the big bear supermarket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

iajanus posted:

Also colour me surprised

I did not know the bears got their name in the 50s from the big bear supermarket

Interesting. That would explain the giant inflatable North Sydney Bear I used to see on top of that very supermarket (although it's more like a shopping centre) in Neutral Bay back in the 90s.