Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Apparently the kid who plays young David is in Deadpool 2. I didn't see it yet though.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/legion/news/a857473/legion-shadow-king-professor-x-talks/

quote:

This season of Legion has been increased to 11 episodes, giving the show the opportunity to include some scenes that previously ended up on the cutting room floor.

"Now they've added the extra episode, so you will also get to see some of the things that were cut out, maybe some things were cut out because episodes were too long, not everything was together, and now it reveals more," Negahba said.

"It tells you a little more about the character."

So I guess it isn't getting canceled. Hooray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

night slime posted:

So I guess it isn't getting canceled. Hooray

The other interpretation is that they got an extra episode to wrap it up before cancellation. But don't let that delusion fester in your little mind.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Chadzok posted:

The other interpretation is that they got an extra episode to wrap it up before cancellation. But don't let that delusion fester in your little mind.

Yeah, they don't just give out money in one big bag with a $ on it, they continually pay for things. If they were going to cancel it, they wouldn't have added an episode.

Not that it can't get cancelled, poo poo changes on an hourly basis in CxO's psycho heads, but an extra episode is an extremely clear signal that they're planning on S3.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Yeah, they don't just give out money in one big bag with a $ on it, they continually pay for things. If they were going to cancel it, they wouldn't have added an episode.

It happens, though. There's a big difference for funding an entire season and funding an extra episode to serve as a conclusion where there otherwise wouldn't be one, and networks do occasionally opt for the latter.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

also I just want to add that the Vermillion dancing pose sequence with Nicolas Jaar's Mi Mujer was just too drat good

Hawley's got a fantastic ear for that stuff, Fargo was solid, but on Legion he is ridiculous

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dead comedy forums posted:

also I just want to add that the Vermillion dancing pose sequence with Nicolas Jaar's Mi Mujer was just too drat good

Hawley's got a fantastic ear for that stuff, Fargo was solid, but on Legion he is ridiculous

his music choices are so good that it's genuinely hard to remember in the moment that it's not always original for the show

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Noah Hawley has been employing this woman as the show music supervisor since Fargo season 2. she's brilliant at picking out music.

https://blog.tunefind.com/2017/04/legion-soundtrack/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I need to get this job where I'm paid to add deep cuts of albums\artists to amazing shows.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Syd parachuting out of a plane like it's no big deal owns.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Weird cellphone psa in the middle for some reason but ok

night slime
May 14, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

They entered a cave (tent) right after it though

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Syd parachuting out of a plane like it's no big deal owns.

I was wondering how she’d catch up to him, should have realized the answer was “like a loving boss.”

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The part where the Hush Woman was reading a book to young Admiral Fukyama in the hospital (where she was quoting the "Princess of Pure Reason") was from The Phantom Tollbooth, which is a very good book that everyone should read. I just thought I'd mention that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
oh okay thanks for that last 25 seconds show. I needed to see that crawling out of my laptop before bed. thanks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Alright, new episode of legion. Time to read through the 6 new posts in the thread

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There just doesn't seem to be much to talk about. The show moves so slow. It's a great watch, but it hasn't done much to answer the questions it's put out, and speculation is near impossible.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have two questions

What the gently caress is going on?
How do i get out of this mind gently caress?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
"Geographic disorder" is a sweet band name, so ups to Syd for the suggestion.

I loved this episode, maybe more than any in the season--between the allegory of the cave and wandering la désolée for a mirage of a monastery, this was some seriously imaginative, symbolic, challenging poo poo.

I also noticed how lonely Division 3 is. Seriously, we have seen virtually no extras there. I wonder if Hawley's gonna touch on that...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Has Division 3/this show always been so full of hexagons? There were a lot of hexagons in this ep.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Wafflecopper posted:

Has Division 3/this show always been so full of hexagons? There were a lot of hexagons in this ep.

Division 3 is hexagons, Summerland was circles and cylinders (and the occasional blatant X-Men logo)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

f#a# posted:

I also noticed how lonely Division 3 is. Seriously, we have seen virtually no extras there. I wonder if Hawley's gonna touch on that...

When David and robo-ptonomy were talking all I could think about was the waste of food travelling past them.

What's the reason for the child soldiers again? Does Division 3 run some sort of Logan's Run thing where once they turn 13 they put on big boy tactical gear and are immediately turned to goop by Oliver?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
David's use of the word 'monster' and chasing it down across a desert evoked Frankenstein chasing his monster across the equally-desolate arctic. The tea whistle was also a great callback to the premiere: "I used to play these games with myself. If I can hold my breath until the kettle whistles, he's alive."

Chubby Henparty posted:

What's the reason for the child soldiers again? Does Division 3 run some sort of Logan's Run thing where once they turn 13 they put on big boy tactical gear and are immediately turned to goop by Oliver?
David asked in the premiere and Syd said it's because kids can't be infected by the endless dream. Also remember that when Farouk ran into a group of kid guards in Division 3 he let the kids go rather than kill them.

AnEdgelord posted:

You could tie it to a lot.
  • The Admiral has literally only seen the world mostly through screens for a very long time.
  • Ptonomy is now inside the machine and was viewing the world through a screen, as the Admiral sees it
  • The bald woman inside the mainframe - was she 'born' there? Is the mainframe all she has ever known?
  • The "endless dream", aka the teeth chattering, puts someone alone in a cave forever.
  • Lenny spent a long time trapped in a cave - who knows how long it seemed to her subjectively - only to be thrust back out into the real world, and fears she might still be stuck in the cave.
  • Clark & Syd's conversation hinted at the idea that David doesn't care about other people's feelings, like the "narcissist", but also that David's feelings matter a lot.
  • Or maybe we should just listen to what Jon Hamm is saying and ignore what's on the screen. I've transcribed it so you can better imagine Noah posted this on a blog without a distracting video.

quote:

And now we come to the most alarming delusion of all: the idea that other people don't matter. Their feelings, their needs.

Imagine a cave where those inside never see the outside world. Instead they see shadows of that world projected on the cave wall. The world they see in the shadows is not the real world. But it's real to them. If you were to show them the world as it actually is they would reject it as incomprehensible.

Now what if instead of being in a cave you were out in the world except you couldn't see it. Because you weren't looking. Because you trusted the world you saw through the prism was the real world. But there's a difference. You see unlike the allegory of the cave where the people are real and the shadows are false. Here other people are the shadows.

Their faces, their lives, this is the delusion of the narcissist who believes that they alone are real. Their feelings are the only feelings that matter because other people are just shadows and shadows don't feel. Because they're not real. But what if everyone lived in caves? Then no one would be real. Not even you. Unless one day you woke up and left the cave. How strange the world would look after a lifetime of staring at shadows.
  • Someone who believes they are the only person that's real isn't a narcissist, they are a solipsist. That's such a basic mistake that I don't believe it's a mistake.
  • "What if everyone lived in a cave" is exactly how you'd describe the entire world being put into "the endless dream". Maybe that's how the world ends?
  • Or we should take it more literally than that: No one is real. Maybe David's still in the orb. Maybe this whole season has been David's "endless dream" and/or he's somehow interacting with copies of other people's consciousness.

Spoilers from this week's trailer:

Lenny and David's sister talk! So the twist is that yes just as she fears she's still in Farouk's head but she's also in that body.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I really wish I'd let this season finish up and watched it all over the course of a few days/a week. I love it but I'm always left desperately wanting more.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Gobbeldygook posted:

And now we come to the most alarming delusion of all: the idea that other people don't matter. Their feelings, their needs.

Imagine a cave where those inside never see the outside world. Instead they see shadows of that world projected on the cave wall. The world they see in the shadows is not the real world. But it's real to them. If you were to show them the world as it actually is they would reject it as incomprehensible.

Now what if instead of being in a cave you were out in the world except you couldn't see it. Because you weren't looking. Because you trusted the world you saw through the prism was the real world. But there's a difference. You see unlike the allegory of the cave where the people are real and the shadows are false. Here other people are the shadows.

Their faces, their lives, this is the delusion of the narcissist who believes that they alone are real. Their feelings are the only feelings that matter because other people are just shadows and shadows don't feel. Because they're not real. But what if everyone lived in caves? Then no one would be real. Not even you. Unless one day you woke up and left the cave. How strange the world would look after a lifetime of staring at shadows.

isnt this basically david?
He is trapped in real world looking through it with his powers, warping reality around him to match what he perceives to be real. basically he decides what is real, if something doesnt conform it he changes it.
everyone around him gets brainwashed by his powers. There is nobody out there that can show david what real world is. (expect maybe farouk)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

What the gently caress show?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

f#a# posted:

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that them joining D3 hasn't made more difference. It's supposed to be this huge army, but every time there is a crisis everyone else just disappear, and the main characters are left to wander around the empty base set until the crisis is resolved. They never have any backup or special resources or anything. Most of the events could have just as easily happened at Summerland. In fact, Summerland felt a lot bigger, with open areas full of extras milling around. D3, in comparison, is just a corridor and a couple of rooms.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SimonChris posted:

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that them joining D3 hasn't made more difference. It's supposed to be this huge army, but every time there is a crisis everyone else just disappears, and the main characters are left to wander around the empty base set until the crisis is resolved. They never have any backup or special resources or anything. Most of the events could have just as easily happened at Summerland. In fact, Summerland felt a lot bigger, with open areas full of extras milling around. D3, in comparison, is just a corridor and a couple of rooms.

It's my biggest complaint, easily.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It’s been shown over and over again, but David is generally a good guy at least trying to do the right thing and aware that he could seriously gently caress everyone up if he does the wrong thing or loses control.

Remember, the reason he didn’t tell everyone what’s going on is because Farouk would read their minds and murder all of them (or worse). As unpalatable as it is, subconscious manipulation is the only way they take him down, which is at least a minimal intersection of what everyone (except Future Syd) wants.

I mean, Batman and CW Ollie pull that poo poo all the time, it alienates everyone around them but they’re still heroes.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I just realized that burned-face guy told Syd that he had a boyfriend who jumped out of planes to escape him, and then Syd jumped out of a plane in pursuit of David. The show still has some nice touches :).

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Wonderfully bonkers show.

Is Mi-Go monks a Lovecraft nod?

Worked out what the Vermillions naggingly reminded me of, they're what you get if the weird mustachioed maid/kid in Roeg's Performance grew up to be in Robert Palmer's Addicted To Love video.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

So Farouk said David could be trapped on the plain forever unless he figures out the trick of it. So what do you guys think is the trick?

Farouk has been travelling at a high speed in a straight line and now says "we're almost there" and also that david is a day behind at least. Is the trick to commit to a vector and stay on it for 24 hours? 48 hours?

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I'd imagine David and Syd have to work their poo poo out, most likely David has to come clean and get forgiveness from Syd. Desolé can be both "desert [desolation]" or "sorry. [Je suis desolé]"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There was a shot of the land being stitched together, so I'm wondering if the whole area is some kind of sliding puzzle/rubik's cube. Farouk has maybe just figured out the optimal fixed path to travel along the boundary so that the monastery eventually has to come to him.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lots of things to love about this episode, from fargo-esque split screens to the minotaur at the end (which I took as "here we are, in the heart of the maze")

Gobbeldygook posted:

Someone who believes they are the only person that's real isn't a narcissist, they are a solipsist. That's such a basic mistake that I don't believe it's a mistake.

There is a difference when it comes to psychology/psychiatry (technically speaking both are different in the sense that solipsism comes from philosophy), which goes along a pretty important detail about the Jon Hamm vignette of the week: narcissistic personality disorders can manifest strong delusions to the point of psychoses in an effort to maintain cognitive dissonance at all costs, with the person preferring to cause harm and destruction instead of challenging their own irrational beliefs.

It's not that other people do not exist, it is that they don't matter as much at best, so "I am sure that the wife won't mind my little affair here" because their feelings as narcissist are much more important, but at its worst, welp, egotistic megalomania in a position of power? That's a thing that never went bad in the history books :buddy:

(I would say that a certain fellow who goes around showboating in different languages about how he is the king of kings and dodging all the loving time when asked about the atrocities comitted fits the bill quite loving perfectly)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chubby Henparty posted:

When David and robo-ptonomy were talking all I could think about was the waste of food travelling past them.

I think they said something in the first episode that the children were immune to something, maybe it was the teeth chattering disease or some of Farouk ‘s powers didn’t work as well on them for some reason.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The kids don't get stuck in the monk's maze presumably because they have no core desires, since they're not adults.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I really want to see this season end with another psychic dance battle

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

night slime posted:

The kids don't get stuck in the monk's maze presumably because they have no core desires, since they're not adults.

I'm not sure this makes sense. Kids have emotional needs too.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not sure this makes sense. Kids have emotional needs too.

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I really want to see this season every episode end with another psychic dance battle