Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

he1ixx posted:

Well according to SteamSpy there were 1900 peak concurrent users yesterday so it’s getting play. That’s good.

Given each round only has 10 people, I've been thinking lately that this game will work even if it's only a small community.

I think it has a lot of potential, and I still see some pretty major people of interest jumping on it from time to time so I can see it drawing more of a crowd as it gets more polished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

w00tmonger posted:

Given each round only has 10 people, I've been thinking lately that this game will work even if it's only a small community.

I think it has a lot of potential, and I still see some pretty major people of interest jumping on it from time to time so I can see it drawing more of a crowd as it gets more polished

Is it 10 people or 10 teams? I thought I heard of people getting 16 kills during a round which would only work if it was 10 teams but that may have changed as the source was pretty old and a lot has happened since then.

Do people prefer playing at night or during the day? I did a day mission and it seemed tense but a nighttime mission would be really creepy.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

he1ixx posted:

Is it 10 people or 10 teams? I thought I heard of people getting 16 kills during a round which would only work if it was 10 teams but that may have changed as the source was pretty old and a lot has happened since then.

Do people prefer playing at night or during the day? I did a day mission and it seemed tense but a nighttime mission would be really creepy.

It's always been 5 teams and any solo player counts as a team. You can have 5-10 players per game depending on how many solos there are.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Regrettable posted:

It's always been 5 teams and any solo player counts as a team. You can have 5-10 players per game depending on how many solos there are.

And this is never revealed, so there's this sick metagame of figuring out how many people are still around to murder you as the game goes on, which is fantastic.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

w00tmonger posted:

And this is never revealed, so there's this sick metagame of figuring out how many people are still around to murder you as the game goes on, which is fantastic.

Yeah but knowing that it's not 19 helps my nerves a little...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got the game yesterday and got my first duo kill in a solo game. I got three clues really fast, ran for the lair so I could at least discover it although I had no plans of trying to solo the butcher with the M1873C and Caldwell. I noticed a hunter running around so I waited. Turns out his friend had started fighting the butcher. I got the first hunter right after he noticed me hiding in a bush. Then his friend ran up the stairs directly underneath me already injured by the butcher. I took him out with a single shot, discovered the butcher lair, and ran like hell because I didn't feel like risking half of the experience I just got. That's a satisfying feeling, ganking a duo by myself.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I just wanted to bump this thread to let people know that I’ve recently come back to this game and it’s gotten a lot better. The FPS is still pretty low but the game is awesome and feels way more balanced. Been having a lot of fun with it and, Jesus, it’s so much more tense than PUBG/etc. I honestly can’t think of another game with the level of tension this sort of naturally generates. I really really hope this game eventually becomes popular - it deserves it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Pathos posted:

I just wanted to bump this thread to let people know that I’ve recently come back to this game and it’s gotten a lot better. The FPS is still pretty low but the game is awesome and feels way more balanced. Been having a lot of fun with it and, Jesus, it’s so much more tense than PUBG/etc. I honestly can’t think of another game with the level of tension this sort of naturally generates. I really really hope this game eventually becomes popular - it deserves it.

Agree with how much more tense it is 100%

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I love how incredibly lovely the scopes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, frame rate is decent with settings turned down on a GTX970. Getting a stable 60-75.Considering how much better it looks than a lot of currently popular games even with settings on low I’m fine with that. I might try turning some stuff up a little bit now that I turned off anti-aliasing.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
I have an 6700k and gtx1070, 1440p I get around 45FPS day/55FPS night. Motion blur and bloom turned off because I always turn off gimmicky effects. Down at 1080p I get 75/85FPS and it's much more playable and I don't notice the resolution decrease at all.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So I don't know if any of you goons still play this but the game has gotten some recent and AWESOME updates.

For one: It runs way better now.
More guns and toys have been added - way more scoped weapons, the leveling system is improved and faster, you unlock more of the consumables sooner.
Bear traps are now available alongside lanterns in-game as a deployable. Excellent against Butcher, and against sneaky assholes (plant them inside/outside windows for the most fun)

They have massively improved the whole banishing/boss looting aspect of things.
For one: Starting a banish immediately heals the party involved to full hp, including 'missing' (not burned) hp bars.
Once the banish is done, picking up the bounty tokens gives you 15 seconds of enhanced Dark Sight. Enhanced how? You can see enemy hunters through walls within about 150 yards. The effect is kind of sporadic and jittery - you can see the general area they are in, and their aura bounces around a lot so its really only good for getting an approximate sense of their whereabouts - not quite precise enough to let you say, shoot through walls at them - but more than enough to know where they are waiting to ambush.
This ability only works for 15 seconds total time (in darksight) so it pays to use sparingly and coordinate with your team-mate.
If you murder a bounty carrier and pick up his token, you get the ability as well.
I've also noticed that they have dampened the sounds of gunfire and fighting inside boss-locations, especially the subterranean ones. Where before someone engaging a boss would have been heard for miles, as long as you are inside/under ground, the sound of your fighting won't carry as far.

All in all there's significant improvements to things and I highly suggest y'all dive in again to give things a spin.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

DarkDobe posted:

So I don't know if any of you goons still play this but the game has gotten some recent and AWESOME updates.

Lots of hunt talk over in the TFR games thread. Apparently we're all into late 1800s guns over there.

Will say that it has had great updates. Tier 1 hunters have same health as Tier 3, and the latest patch imo makes the game a lot more fun (Bear traps and more incentives to pick up bounty tokens).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A friend I just bought it under the steam sale and as someone just coming in off the street I'd say the game is optimized fine and, at least on a Friday, had short queue times indistinguishable from any popular game. So yeah if you played it in the past maybe things improved quite a bit?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Jack B Nimble posted:

A friend I just bought it under the steam sale and as someone just coming in off the street I'd say the game is optimized fine and, at least on a Friday, had short queue times indistinguishable from any popular game. So yeah if you played it in the past maybe things improved quite a bit?

Very much an improvement.
Ques slow down a little at the odd hours (early morning for whatever region) but performance is improved.
On my 1070 laptop it runs buttery at maximum settings across the board.
My old 980 desktop purrs along on low well enough.

If you're taking framerate hits: Turn off motion blur and DoF (which are both dumb) and especially Antialiasing - low or off. There's plenty of detail and foliage to the point AA really isn't that noticeable and has a big performance impact for machines that can't quite run things.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Jack B Nimble posted:

Things have definitely picked up post-patch. There's more people playing, and the patch itself has been pretty drat good. I'm still getting absolutely destroyed every other game because there's so much I don't know, but I'm enjoying it a lot, even solo. I bought it about a week before the patch and I've been playing it a fair bit ever since. Gotta say, it is one of the most interesting shooters I've played in a long, long time. I have no idea why it isn't getting more players.

Any good streamers for this?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My suggestions so far:
- Always pick Random Contract
- Double bounties are easier (players split up)
- Night time is easier (lower vis lets you be stupider)
- Going loud can be a deterrent. People will hide from you, and if you are bungling around like a lunatic, most of the time their first shot at you will miss! Be obnoxious.
- On a team, having one loud and one quiet person can exploit this further. Loud guy is quiet guy's decoy.
- Shotguns are amazing. Double barrel is all you need. Pair with a machete or a silenced revolver to taste.
- Stam injector + Sabre is still loving gross. Shotguns cure the problem (don't miss!).
- Butcher is crazy easy with shotties and beartraps.
- Spider is not very dangerous but tedious to kill. Set it on fire! Concertina is also good.
- You can safely run and stab an UNALERTED hive. Don't miss her face. If you miss you'll take about 30 damage. If you get her in the head its about 5 damage and poison. This can be way better than sneaking all the way to her.
- Always melee Armored in the legs. 1 or 2 hits to the legs and they're crippled. Same goes for shooting. Shotguns are BAD against Armored! Yes they knockdown but damage is poor. Better off meleeing.
- Once you are at boss zone, it can pay to leave monsters alive as an early warning. Especially hives - they are loud and obnoxious so people alert or kill them. Zombies are your friends.
- Put beartraps everywhere (but don't forget about them).
- You can loot killed hunters! I believe it just restocks your supplies (e.g. consumables) - I dont think you can steal from them.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 24, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually melee armoreds in the body. Not sure if there’s a damage difference, but 3 machete or talon buttstock hits is a kill, as is three heavy knife attacks and two no-stamina hits. All of those can be chained for a stunlock.

You can get ammo and consumables from hunters, I think it’s random.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was very disappointed when I found out I couldn't permanently take guns from dead hunters. I hope that's on their to do list.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was very disappointed when I found out I couldn't permanently take guns from dead hunters. I hope that's on their to do list.

They've said it's part of the balance around not being purely focused on hunting and killing other people. They want it to be PvP*4vE not PvP then some PvE when you're done a-murderin'.

Which granted, I would also like to take some dumb fuckers stuff and shoot other people with it, but I don't think not being able to really detracts.

There's also the crafting system they have/had planned, not sure if that's still going to be a thing but there'll basically be a lot more incidental loot in the map that you can take out of hunts and then combine into things in the menus for your next one.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
If anyone wants to play evenings around 7-8PM EST hit me up - was taking a hiatus while they improved things and it seems like they have made quite a few nice changes. Plus throwing knives and crossbows make me :gizz:

Warning: I like to win and play to win.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I actually melee armoreds in the body. Not sure if there’s a damage difference, but 3 machete or talon buttstock hits is a kill, as is three heavy knife attacks and two no-stamina hits. All of those can be chained for a stunlock.

You can get ammo and consumables from hunters, I think it’s random.

AFAIK if you are full on ammo it'll always restock a consumable. I try to restock form an ammo crate if they're nearby before looting bodies. I mostly forget to loot bodies though because I played so much before it was implemented.

Jack B Nimble posted:

This was the main reason I bought this game. That and zero crafting. I hate the standard BR model of looting like it's loving Diablo. I want to be shooting things not staring at an inventory menu...

AFAIK the devs have confirmed there will be no gun looting. It took them awhile to even put in the current ammo/restock looting, but they're being very careful about any sort of looting mechanic.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If they really want a more even split of danger between PvE and PvP then I have to ask if PvE gets harder, because I'm running Tier 1 Hunters and it's already, after only a few hours, trivial to navigate an encampment using only melee weapons. Regular zombies, armored, hives, dogs, any of them can be routinely overcome with nothing but a melee weapon (assuming you have a teammate). Furthermore, the failure state for these battles highlights the real danger of the game, because that failure isn't death or even serious injury, it's being forced to discharge a firearm and thus giving away your position to the real monsters roaming this match. Man is the real monster, most dangerous game, etc.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

If they really want a more even split of danger between PvE and PvP then I have to ask if PvE gets harder, because I'm running Tier 1 Hunters and it's already, after only a few hours, trivial to navigate an encampment using only melee weapons. Regular zombies, armored, hives, dogs, any of them can be routinely overcome with nothing but a melee weapon (assuming you have a teammate). Furthermore, the failure state for these battles highlights the real danger of the game, because that failure isn't death or even serious injury, it's being forced to discharge a firearm and thus giving away your position to the real monsters roaming this match. Man is the real monster, most dangerous game, etc.

Zombies are really useful during PvP. You can aggro them so they attack others or get them drawn into a fight. Even a few normal zombies charging you during PvP will gently caress you over. Don't even talk about hellhounds during a fight :suicide:.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I've been in love with this game ever since I got it, but I am terribad. I wasn't a while ago, but now I'm just getting sniped from what feels like across the map, and they wiggle back and forth just right so I can't get my ironsights on their heads. It's very frustrating.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

E-Tank posted:

I've been in love with this game ever since I got it, but I am terribad. I wasn't a while ago, but now I'm just getting sniped from what feels like across the map, and they wiggle back and forth just right so I can't get my ironsights on their heads. It's very frustrating.

Im liking the game less since they added scopes to be honest, every other change is amazing but scopes have pushed the engagement range further out than id like.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm still unironically advocating for scopes to be removed from every game on the planet.

They're never fun. You walk out and occasionally some chucklefuck will snipe you from across the map. If you're lucky they'll miss and you'll have to squint into the distance and try to close the gap, but most of the time the only answer is to either see them first and have your own scope, or die.

Bring scopes back into games when developers figure out a way for it to have counterplay aside from "snipe back".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No one has a scope at the tier of play I'm at, but I watched a youtube video of scoped Mosin compilations and that poo poo should not be in the game. It looked reasonable through the scope, the player hunting for a head shot on a distant figure disappearing and reappearing through the thick foliage, but then the shooter would lower the scope and you'd realize just how far away he was.

Here it is, look at this time stamp, how the hell would the other team have ever seen this unless they were looking through a scope themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvqTP_IjC94&t=197s

Orv
May 4, 2011
Obviously not with that kind of precision or sight picture but I have had engagements at just shy of that range not infrequently without scopes.

That said, if the fog weather option is available at all times, might be worth doing more often than not.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Jack B Nimble posted:

No one has a scope at the tier of play I'm at, but I watched a youtube video of scoped Mosin compilations and that poo poo should not be in the game. It looked reasonable through the scope, the player hunting for a head shot on a distant figure disappearing and reappearing through the thick foliage, but then the shooter would lower the scope and you'd realize just how far away he was.

Here it is, look at this time stamp, how the hell would the other team have ever seen this unless they were looking through a scope themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvqTP_IjC94&t=197s

Over half the kills in this video are with the dolch.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just got this game during the steam sale so this is a real newb question:

Me and my partner would find a clue and then a location on the map would have a spot appear with a number 1 on it.

What is this location signifying? My partner kept insisting that the next clue wouldnt be there but then moments later, we'd get an alert that a banishment was happening there.

My partner was of the mind that in previous matches, this number didn't mean anything and I couldn't find any information anywhere about what this location marker is trying to say.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Just got this game during the steam sale so this is a real newb question:

Me and my partner would find a clue and then a location on the map would have a spot appear with a number 1 on it.

What is this location signifying? My partner kept insisting that the next clue wouldnt be there but then moments later, we'd get an alert that a banishment was happening there.

My partner was of the mind that in previous matches, this number didn't mean anything and I couldn't find any information anywhere about what this location marker is trying to say.

It depends? The number corresponds to the bounty (for two bounty maps there will be `I` & `II`).

At the start of the match when you have no clues it will look like this:

The numbers indicate which bounty it is (the upper left 'quest objectives' match the numbers on the map). The double red line through the map is the two territories that particular bounty may be in, and if you pick up a clue in that area it will go towards that bounty.

If you get a clue the territory will tighten around where the bounty possibly is. As you get more clues it narrows down to a single compound on the map and have the 'target' icon over the building the bounty is in. If you get the clue at the same place the bounty is, the 'target' icon will show the building they are in and your map will immediately update to have no more clues for that bounty available.

For single bounty maps the entire map is the initial territory...

Eventually the map will get something like this:

In this case both bounties are being banished. When that happens everyone on the server will no longer be able to collect clues for that bounty, and its location will be displayed on the map. The 'smoke' or whatever is where the bounty is being banished. It doesn't show the target icon once it's being banished.

So yeah, your friend is right. The number doesn't show where the bounty is, just the possible area it may be, and eventually the compound it's at.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 5, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cheers and thank you for the information that is immensely helpful. There is a lot of game details to parse and make sense of and I just don't want to spend time arguing about minor things like this with friend when we could just be hunting instead.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

AndyElusive posted:

Cheers and thank you for the information that is immensely helpful. There is a lot of game details to parse and make sense of and I just don't want to spend time arguing about minor things like this with friend when we could just be hunting instead.

I'm imagining sneaking up on these two bickering about the map with my Mosin.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm imagining sneaking up on these two bickering about the map with my Mosin.

We were using Discord but we should consider using in-game just for thematic reasons like this.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
My favorite is always "I thought I heard someone here" as I round the corner with my double barrel leveled at their chest.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm not sure why I find the theme song so catchy, but I do.

HMMmmmmm HMmmmmmm Hmmmmmmm HMMMMMMM

*CLAP*

HMMMM

*CLAP*

HMMMMMmmmmm Hmmmmm Hmmmmm HMMMM

*CLAP*

HMMM

*CLAP*

HMMM HMMM HMMM Hmmmmmmmm

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a good song. Sets the mood real well too, which is paramount for such a weird setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvd5Mrjq3jc

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Orv posted:

It's a good song. Sets the mood real well too, which is paramount for such a weird setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvd5Mrjq3jc

The aesthetics of the hunters really do a good job of this as well.

Your hunterdudes run toward Duck Dynasty swamp man, Western cowboy, or Louisiana Voodoo.

Also there's an untold story here of "White Southern bayou boy happily teams up with black Voodoo priest a few years after the civil war to take back the swamps."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I wonder also if the monsters are a worldwide event or it's suppose to be localized. That time period is ripe for exploration in other settings with new maps. I know a lot of their assets look swamp-related but hopefully they can mix things up a bit.

Western mining town would be amazing (think Bisbee, AZ) or a New England Mill town complete with canals and broken down industrial revolution machinery.