Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Taffer posted:

You can easily limit the size yourself with the /worldborder command.

It's a small difference, but in the console version, the borders are always at the edge of an ocean, so your world is completely surrounded by impassable water. I kind of prefer that to an invisible wall with actual terrain beyond it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gonna live in a beehive.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Mooshrooms look almost 3d on a map, with shadows

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Has anyone explored the new ocean biomes in the latest snapshot? Once I get the ingredients to make the potions you need to do all the exploring (unless I'm missing something) I want to use those ingredients for other things so never get there sadly.

Btw, Mojang just hired a new developer, so maybe development will go slowly instead of glacially.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 12, 2018

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
avoid the latest snaphot. 18w19a was killing old worlds, with 19b fixed. but 19b has an issue on multiplayer where you cant swim or float anything in water (like ride in a boat)

also I am getting issues crashing loading new chunks.

both are confirmed bugs but the swimming has a work around

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Roundboy posted:

avoid the latest snaphot. 18w19a was killing old worlds, with 19b fixed. but 19b has an issue on multiplayer where you cant swim or float anything in water (like ride in a boat)

also I am getting issues crashing loading new chunks.

both are confirmed bugs but the swimming has a work around

Yeah it's unplayable single player as well. Hope for a new snapshot on Wednesday.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Better Together versions get Phase 1 of Aquatic update. Java version coming 'very soon'.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I had never heard of the "Education Edition Chemistry" resource pack coming out with it. I recognize on reading about it that it's for interactive children's science courses and probably won't have much in terms of gameplay where most people's games/survival mode is concerned, but it sure looks neat, and feels like a clever idea.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
New PiroPito video starts off very upsetting.

I think he still hasn't realized there's a time limit on loose items before they despawn.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Wow, I'm not a least bit surprised at what he's going to use the shulker boxes for

Jamesman posted:

New PiroPito video starts off very upsetting.

I think he still hasn't realized there's a time limit on loose items before they despawn.

It's extremely frustrating that he didn't even try to look for it properly, like it's probably in his nether wart farm or something

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Every time I see an update in this thread at about this time of the week, it reminds me to check YouTube. Thanks :v:

Kamrat posted:

Wow, I'm not a least bit surprised at what he's going to use the shulker boxes for

For anyone who isn't watching but wants to hear what the crazy kid is up to, he got shulker shells, figured out what shulker boxes do, and predictably is excited because this means he can carry a lot more cobblestone with him and this will make it a lot easier to build his very long bridge.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Buttcoin purse posted:

Every time I see an update in this thread at about this time of the week, it reminds me to check YouTube. Thanks :v:

For anyone who isn't watching but wants to hear what the crazy kid is up to, he got shulker shells, figured out what shulker boxes do, and predictably is excited because this means he can carry a lot more cobblestone with him and this will make it a lot easier to build his very long bridge.

I thought he swapped out the bridge for glass? Or was that just to reorient it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that was just part of it

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kamrat posted:

It's extremely frustrating that he didn't even try to look for it properly, like it's probably in his nether wart farm or something
Why the gently caress is he just standing there peering over the edge like 30 blocks away? This actually made me feel frustrated just watching it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just installed the Windows 10 version on my wife's 7 year old laptop and goddamn the game runs like an absolute dream. She and I have been playing the game since 2010, though we stopped for a few years after having kids. Recently, we were feeling the desire to fire it back up, but my pc is still packed away from our latest move, so we just had the one laptop that was always really slow with the game anyway, but now, holy poo poo.

Also, I absolutely love the fact that it was extremely easy for me to log in to the world via the mobile version of MC on my phone. Whenever we get a Switch, Minecraft will likely be a day 1 purchase on there (especially if the Better Together update is there).

Strong kudos to Microsoft for streamlining all of this poo poo; I don't care about mods, so I'm perfectly fine with it vanilla. With my son starting to get interested in it, I love how simple it's all become for us to play together.

Quick question: has anyone here ever used an Xbox 360 controller (natively, without some 3rd party app) to play this version?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Quick question: has anyone here ever used an Xbox 360 controller (natively, without some 3rd party app) to play this version?

Yes I have. If win 10 recognizes the controller, then MC will as well. If it's a legit MSoft controller and not an afterglow, it should work just fine. I have both, and had to do some finagling back when win 10 was new. Now I think it's streamlined for aftermarket controllers too.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just installed the Windows 10 version on my wife's 7 year old laptop and goddamn the game runs like an absolute dream. She and I have been playing the game since 2010, though we stopped for a few years after having kids. Recently, we were feeling the desire to fire it back up, but my pc is still packed away from our latest move, so we just had the one laptop that was always really slow with the game anyway, but now, holy poo poo.

Also, I absolutely love the fact that it was extremely easy for me to log in to the world via the mobile version of MC on my phone. Whenever we get a Switch, Minecraft will likely be a day 1 purchase on there (especially if the Better Together update is there).

Strong kudos to Microsoft for streamlining all of this poo poo; I don't care about mods, so I'm perfectly fine with it vanilla. With my son starting to get interested in it, I love how simple it's all become for us to play together.

I pretty much only play on iOS because the rewritten Minecraft code is so much better there than the Java edition even ran on my gaming PC. I’m pretty sure it’s giving me a repetitive stress injury, but it really is good software.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I pretty much only play on iOS because the rewritten Minecraft code is so much better there than the Java edition even ran on my gaming PC. I’m pretty sure it’s giving me a repetitive stress injury, but it really is good software.

Very aggravating in Creative mode, due to accidentally breaking blocks when all you meant to do was turn slowly.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

I don't know what it is, but I can't stand the 'feel' of Windows 10 edition. Like, how the camera moves when you turn, jump, etc. It feels gummy compared to Java.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Saeka posted:

I don't know what it is, but I can't stand the 'feel' of Windows 10 edition. Like, how the camera moves when you turn, jump, etc. It feels gummy compared to Java.

Agreed. I constantly get input lag in the Microsoft version, which is weird since it runs better in absolutely ever other regard.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been creeped running around in caves when I mash 3 to get to my bow only to find that lol nope didn't switch weapons get rekt.

At first I thought I was just loving up, but it's happened consistently on Win 10 and never once ever since alpha 1.3 in the Java versions :shrug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I play Win 10 and I haven't had any lag. Love the new Chroma Hills resource pack.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo I love this game again.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Good! Post pics of your base! This thread can never have enough survival base posts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Saeka posted:

Good! Post pics of your base! This thread can never have enough survival base posts.

I barely have anything now, but will post when I do.

Ok, sort of cross posting from the Android gaming thread, but does anyone have any experience playing this game on mobile with an 8bitdo Pro controller? Thinking about picking one up, mainly for playing this on my phone, because I really don't like the touch controls.

I don't care that I'll still be on mobile, and I also don't want to bother with a Bluetooth m+kb just for this, I'm good using dual-analog sticks for playing the game, that never bothered me. Just want to make sure I'd be getting something worthwhile.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

From the Chroma Hills Win10 resource pack.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Jesus Christ those villagers are horrifying.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Seeing popular packs get ported to the Win 10/Bedrock edition gives me hope that someday we'll see Painterly and Dokucraft on there as well.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
there's something loving magical about that high res egg texture just floating serenely in the air

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Realistic hi-res texture packs always look awful because no matter how high you get the resolution you're still pasting those textures onto cubes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

:gonk:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
latest piropito video is incredible. he goes over his bridgemaking process and how long everything takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tedfTCrV3nI

it takes him 25 minutes to walk from x:0 to x:69,050... when he's traveling at 8x speed because he's in the nether. and using swiftness potions for a chunk of the journey.
that's not even the end of his bridge either. it's only about halfway. it goes all the way to x:124,632. he just drowns himself to travel back to his quarry at the halfway point.

for anyone not doing the math, that means that it would take over 5 hours to cross this bridge without using nether portals.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 29, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
before I could only carry 1,920 cobblestone blocks to extend my bridge with per trip. now with shulker boxes, I can carry up to 46,656 blocks at once! what an improvement

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 29, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
How To Build A BRIDGE

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

And then he suicides, losing all his shulker boxes, even though he knows how to use an ender chest and at one point along the journey has one in his hot bar. At this point I'm convinced this is as real as professional wrestling.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
piropito is the same man who once spent 6 months drawing a huge, intricate maze only to set it on fire once it was finished. he's real as hell

e: also he showed the entire process of placing all those blocks, hugely fastforwarded but otherwise uncut

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 29, 2018

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, I'm not saying the work he puts in is fake. There's no question there. But certain events that happen and now that seem more scripted then genuine. I'm going back to see more of his earlier Minecraft stuff since I've only been watching since around 20 episodes ago and he'll stop on experiments just before doing the one thing that'll show him how certain things work or make choices where it's always the one that would cause the most stress to a knowledgeable player who is watching.

It's still entertaining, don't get me wrong. I'm just no longer a believer.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Potsticker posted:

And then he suicides, losing all his shulker boxes, even though he knows how to use an ender chest and at one point along the journey has one in his hot bar.

Yes, I was triggered by that too. They're valuable, don't throw them away like that!

quote:

At this point I'm convinced this is as real as professional wrestling.

I'm not 100% convinced but there seem to have been too many "I have all these valuable things, I'd better try not to die *awkwardly jumps into lava*" moments.

I see he likes time lapse, so I can probably look forward to more bridge building videos :suicide:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Saeka posted:

Well, it's nothing much, and worse, it's using default textures, but this is what I have so far, at least in the world that's on my phone.

Mobile controls being what they are, it makes the game WAY more difficult. Otherwise, I'd be further ahead. Not much, but at least a bit.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Lorini posted:

From the Chroma Hills Win10 resource pack.

This makes me nostalgic for launch Everquest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

New Java snapshot today when people were expecting a full release. Oh well maybe someday.