Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what little I remember of the 2011 series, I think the characters ended up not being that interesting to follow? The thing that I remember the most is that when they had the reveal that their fantasy world of animal folk had the origin of being some kind of crashed alien prison ship, I was a little angry at the show for pissing around doing nothing for so long when they were sitting on that gem.

But I guess when you're trying to do a straightforward dramatic show nowadays, there's the urge to play it slow and steady with your insane worldbuilding, as opposed to the 80s when they played fast and loose and basically just threw whatever insane stupid poo poo they had off the top of their heads into the mix.

Yeah that's about how I remember the reception to it. It was too boring/grounded to be a good monster-of-the-week show, but not focused enough for the overarching plot to feel worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what little I remember of the 2011 series, I think the characters ended up not being that interesting to follow? The thing that I remember the most is that when they had the reveal that their fantasy world of animal folk had the origin of being some kind of crashed alien prison ship, I was a little angry at the show for pissing around doing nothing for so long when they were sitting on that gem.

But I guess when you're trying to do a straightforward dramatic show nowadays, there's the urge to play it slow and steady with your insane worldbuilding, as opposed to the 80s when they played fast and loose and basically just threw whatever insane stupid poo poo they had off the top of their heads into the mix.

2011's problem was it it essentially waited until literally it's last episode before cancellation to actually do anything remotely interesting while, as you said, pissing around doing nothing with monster of the week episodes for the vast majority of its runtime.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'm willing to wait till at least one or two episodes are out before calling this show poo poo or not

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The cartoons you liked in the 80s as a kid weren't actually very good so it's fine to remix them however people want

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

The cartoons you liked in the 80s as a kid weren't actually very good so it's fine to remix them however people want

https://twitter.com/heyshanmurphy/status/997595791500988417

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TwoPair posted:

Gumball is already a cat so you'll have to find a new name.

Man I had to actually google that (as opposed to thundercats which people heap praise/nostalgia on so much I know character names without having seen an episode), I don't think you'll have a problem.

Silverhawks showed up in the 2011 series

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Gumball is already a cat so you'll have to find a new name.

After seeing that intro?

OK Lion-O.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Thundercats has always been a bunch of dumb marketing people cynically copying whatever was popular well after it had already become a thing. The original Thundercats came several years after He-Man, the last reboot was an anime-style show years after the anime craze has ended, now they're trying to do the CalArts thin lines with flat colors thing that Adventure Time and its various spinoffs and knockoffs ran into the the ground half a decade a go.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mycot posted:

Yeah that's about how I remember the reception to it.
It didnt help that CN didnt really position it well. I loving loved it and I had trouble remembering when it was on.
That might have been when they ran into a wall with Beware the Batman and Green Lantern 64, though.

LOL at the guy talking poo poo about Silverhawks being unknown (That's Tigersharks, my friend), when it had the superior Theme Song, a Space Cowboy Pilot who flew by playing a Space Guitar, and was tied into Thundercats 11 (MonStarr is contacted by MumRa when he gets the last infinity stone or whatevs).

What they should really Reboot is The Centurions!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

It didnt help that CN didnt really position it well. I loving loved it and I had trouble remembering when it was on.
That might have been when they ran into a wall with Beware the Batman and Green Lantern 64, though.

LOL at the guy talking poo poo about Silverhawks being unknown (That's Tigersharks, my friend), when it had the superior Theme Song, a Space Cowboy Pilot who flew by playing a Space Guitar, and was tied into Thundercats 11 (MonStarr is contacted by MumRa when he gets the last infinity stone or whatevs).

That was about the era when CN was basically attempting to sabotage literally all of its shows and playing Johnny Test the way they play Teen Titans Go now, iirc. I think either during or shortly after their attempts to become a reality TV network bombed completely, but not after they had started enthusiastically burning bridges.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finally got around to continuing my watch through of Rocko's Modern Life, currently midway through the final season.

I have a few interesting things I've noticed about the Magic Meatball episode where Ed gets promoted waaaay out of his comfort zone. I like that the reason he fails in the initially isn't due to inability to make decisions, that's later, but lack of technical knowledge of how Conglomo works. The first question on the first form he needs to fill out is: "Is the derivative share requirement indexed according to cost and percentage analysis?" That's something you'd need training on, so it makes sense he'd panic and fall back on the titular device at first.

Also the reason that they are having him answer such basic questions is that upper management themselves don't know and are cribbing off of his answers.

Then as he moves up the ladder, despite his whining about the work load, it's actually getting easier due to becoming upper management himself - his former manager is now cowtowing to him asking him a single basic question, one Big Decision to make - whether they should expand employee parking. He now as out of touch as his CEO is, despite initially loving Conglomo like Winton Smith loved Big Brother.

I thought it was as interesting idea having his job actually get easier as the episode goes on but him perceiving it as being harder due to entitlement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rocko's Modern Life is pretty much a scathing mockery of capitalism from start to finish like that, and your description makes it sound absolutely accurate.

I remember the mall episode where Rocko tries to go shopping and the mall tries to sell him absolutely everything except the one thing he wants, designed to keep him trapped and distracted as long as possible, which again isn't really far off real world mall design.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rocko's Modern Life is pretty much a scathing mockery of capitalism from start to finish like that, and your description makes it sound absolutely accurate.

I remember the mall episode where Rocko tries to go shopping and the mall tries to sell him absolutely everything except the one thing he wants, designed to keep him trapped and distracted as long as possible, which again isn't really far off real world mall design.

Also the first thing I noticed about that Mall episode was the sign - The Mall is right in the centre of the O-Town National Forest, land that Should be federally protected, but capitalism has won so hard they can develop literally anywhere.

By the way, It seems to me that Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim have very similar themes, although Rocko is optimistic while Zim is pessimistic. In Rocko, most civilians are consumers but they still have agency. Certainly they mostly use it to gently caress each other over to get ahead, like the chickens hiring other chickens at the Chokey chicken to become meals (one of the first gags in the show is a chicken getting hired at the restaurant - then we see a kid's meal with her nametag) or the Easter Bunnies stealing the eggs of expecting birds to paint and sell at a profit, literal people trafficking, but that very agency means that while many of the characters don't change or are just awful people, some of them potentially can become better people, and start thinking about what they consume, or how they sell.

Invader Zim on the other hand, portrays consumers as helpless children stuck in their homes gaining weight while basically having food and advertising pumped into their living rooms. They don't recognise Zim's nature not because he is smarter than them, but because they are dumber than him. This is an Earth that almost deserves to be invaded which is why the invader is portrayed as a protagonist while the hero is the antagonist - neither can ever win, but no one gives a gently caress who does anyway because the world doesn't deserve saving.
They both portray hosed up capitalist nightmares, Capitalism winning so hard no other social system ever comes to mind.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 19, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aren't all the aliens in Invader Zim presented as just as bad as humanity, though? The Irken society is absurdly oppressive and ludicrously incompetent, but have such a technological advantage they steamroll over everyone anyway, and turn planets into single-purpose facilities based on a whim after conquering them. And Zim for the most part is just as dumb as everyone on Earth, intelligent in a few ways (mostly in engineering) but only passes as human because everyone else is so apathetic (except Dib) and because he's mostly dismissed as a crazy person because he constantly talks out loud about being an invading alien. (wait, is Zim alien Sterling Archer)

Though also notable that one of the few competent aliens, Tak, begins infiltrating Earth by immediately taking over a major corporation. Also implied that Professor Membrane could probably match the Irkens technology-wise if he was sufficiently motivated, in one episode he creates and then turns off a perpetual motion machine out of spite.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aren't all the aliens in Invader Zim presented as just as bad as humanity, though? The Irken society is absurdly oppressive and ludicrously incompetent, but have such a technological advantage they steamroll over everyone anyway, and turn planets into single-purpose facilities based on a whim after conquering them. And Zim for the most part is just as dumb as everyone on Earth, intelligent in a few ways (mostly in engineering) but only passes as human because everyone else is so apathetic (except Dib) and because he's mostly dismissed as a crazy person because he constantly talks out loud about being an invading alien. (wait, is Zim alien Sterling Archer)

Though also notable that one of the few competent aliens, Tak, begins infiltrating Earth by immediately taking over a major corporation. Also implied that Professor Membrane could probably match the Irkens technology-wise if he was sufficiently motivated, in one episode he creates and then turns off a perpetual motion machine out of spite.

I never said every one else was in any way admirable, it's just that Earth is where we see most of the show take place so it stands out more, also some of the conquered planets clearly are ~better than us~ as portrayed, like the planet-turned-weapons-factory that is rebelling by deliberately designing garbage hardware that doesn't work at intended, like the mech that turns invisible - leaving the Pilot helplessly floating as an easy target. also has a power cord that is like 10 feet long. Most other planets, like Irk, are as bad as Earth as portrayed, but some are generally better despite the invasion because they have figured out little ways to say "gently caress you" to the invaders while Earth is just not noticing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Quest For Glory II posted:

i don't disagree with this. i just think the specific angle they're taking for Thundercats seems like a non-starter, and in part because it's basically two of their existing shows mashed together with an existing IP on top.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rant ahead.

I the only person disappointed in OK KO’s swerve to “very special episodes”? It feels like all of the recent episodes have had really heavy-handed morals in them, some better handled than others.

“No More Pow Cards” is probably the worst offender—I get and appreciate the message—but it’s so heavy handed AND they turned the goofiness in the animation to 110% (I think in an effort to make it less depressing) that the end result is completely tonally dissonant and ultimately undermines the message.

“Let’s Play Skeletons” is better in comparison even though I was annoyed by how they went “what if Marge Vs. The Monorail, but guns?” and decided that was good enough.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate children’s shows doing things like making arguments for representation in media and gun control/bans but I think what really annoys me is how IJQ should know from his work on Steven Universe how to write a socially conscious children’s show without coming across all after school special (hint: it’s show why x thing is normal and fine, not tell beat you over the head with the message).

Steven doesn’t spend an episode doing wacky hijinks to try to convince Mayor Dewey to legalize “gem” marriage, the show just has characters who are lesbians and everyone is totally cool with that.

To do a comparison to OK KO, there’s a whole episode telling the viewer that it’s totally fine to be a furry. Instead, they could have just had the bunny that dresses as a human be just a character that everyone treats like a human. Don’t tell your audience to be accepting of something, show them people being accepting of that thing.

[/rant]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 19, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair some people need the sledgehammer.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, the issues handled there and in the Captain Planet episode were ones that most adults need explained to. Being bold and unsubtle about it is a good tactic.

e: Red Action To The Future (or Back to the Red Action?) was such a good episode i'm gonna hold off on seeing the other three for a bit.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 19, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.cbr.com/she-ra-reboot-first-look-voice-cast/

Not entirely clear what vein this is going in, but Noelle Stevenson has a pretty strong handle on how to do fun all-ages adventure without going too hard into the comedy to the point where there's no stakes to the actual plot.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After what happened with Ben 10 and Powerpuff Girls, you'd think that CN would take a hint.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ben 10 is....still successful. Yes, a big majority of it is overseas success, but it's still success.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

Rant ahead.

I the only person disappointed in OK KO’s swerve to “very special episodes”? It feels like all of the recent episodes have had really heavy-handed morals in them, some better handled than others.

“No More Pow Cards” is probably the worst offender—I get and appreciate the message—but it’s so heavy handed AND they turned the goofiness in the animation to 110% (I think in an effort to make it less depressing) that the end result is completely tonally dissonant and ultimately undermines the message.

“Let’s Play Skeletons” is better in comparison even though I was annoyed by how they went “what if Marge Vs. The Monorail, but guns?” and decided that was good enough.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate children’s shows doing things like making arguments for representation in media and gun control/bans but I think what really annoys me is how IJQ should know from his work on Steven Universe how to write a socially conscious children’s show without coming across all after school special (hint: it’s show why x thing is normal and fine, not tell beat you over the head with the message).

Steven doesn’t spend an episode doing wacky hijinks to try to convince Mayor Dewey to legalize “gem” marriage, the show just has characters who are lesbians and everyone is totally cool with that.

To do a comparison to OK KO, there’s a whole episode telling the viewer that it’s totally fine to be a furry. Instead, they could have just had the bunny that dresses as a human be just a character that everyone treats like a human. Don’t tell your audience to be accepting of something, show them people being accepting of that thing.

[/rant]

The skeletons episode was particularly annoying for me. It started with an incredibly tepid and boring political take and then turned it into the most heavy handed metaphor I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t very funny, but at the same time wasn’t able to go dark enough to make it’s message resonate on an emotional level. Hint: If your medium can’t talk directly about death then it’s probably not a good fit to talk about gun violence.

It was also a weird subject for the show to talk about in the first place since OK KO is itself a power fantasy in which people usually solve problems with violence. Why is a gunskeleton button any better or worse than half the stuff in Gar’s shop? Why do skeleton buttons lead to a world where everyone is afraid of everyone else but superpowers don’t? I appreciate what the writers were trying to do but it just didn’t work in the end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Green Lantern TAS was great and I will fight you about it. GLTAS was part of the DC Nation block though and that was hyped pretty well. The various shorts were really good too. It's just a shame they never amounted to much other than slot filler.

I will also say the 2011 series was really good in trying to do world building and making a lot of the weird and disparate elements mesh. It's just that it waited for the season finale to pull a reveal when the season was already fairly long.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

lelandjs posted:

The thing is that when OK KO doesn't decide to do a very special episode it's not preachy, and it's been only 4 of them so far (one for each board team)

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

I thought I was the only one who remembered the Centurions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like there's something refreshing about morals about very relevant issues getting inserted in between the more standard morals about friendship, accepting your family, being okay with being short, and the evils of mindless JRPG grinding.

It's kinda dumb and goofy, but so is OK KO as a whole. It's not a subtle show, it's big and flashy and crazy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shitenshi posted:

No, you're not alone. Power extreme-eme-eme!

Even at the time I found it funny that the characters were so literally toy commercials that their outfits had pegs to attach the accessories.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

readingatwork posted:

It was also a weird subject for the show to talk about in the first place since OK KO is itself a power fantasy in which people usually solve problems with violence. Why is a gunskeleton button any better or worse than half the stuff in Gar’s shop? Why do skeleton buttons lead to a world where everyone is afraid of everyone else but superpowers don’t? I appreciate what the writers were trying to do but it just didn’t work in the end.

Superhero stuff doesn't ever actually kill anybody.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Payndz posted:

No, you're not alone. Power extreme-eme-eme!

Even at the time I found it funny that the characters were so literally toy commercials that their outfits had pegs to attach the accessories.

Heh, I just noticed that. And looking at it, I thought it was some Hanna-Barbera stuff for the longest time, but apparently it was animated by Sunrise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wanted the Centurions toys so bad I used to use Lego to homebrew my own ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Planet kinda got away with its morals more because they managed to get away with unambiguously showing real guns, real drugs, real AIDS and real death, even if the were preachy and ridiculous about it. (and don't get me started on the Northern Ireland episode)

Then there's Dinosaurs with the anti-drugs episode ending with a PSA asking kids not to do drugs, so TV shows aren't forced to do preachy anti-drugs episodes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shitenshi posted:

To be fair, i dont remember them from their original run.

I have cartoon network to thank for that.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Then there's Dinosaurs with the anti-drugs episode ending with a PSA asking kids not to do drugs, so TV shows aren't forced to do preachy anti-drugs episodes.
Dinosaurs was really good about stuff like that (remember the tail extension episode?).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

IT WAS THE EIGHTIES.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What I want to see is a reboot of Exo Squad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Man, Mother Brain is a great character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

What I want to see is a reboot of Exo Squad.
Doesnt the Roughnecks series kind of count for that.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Man that new Thundercats has the ugliest art style I've seen since Problem Solvers and all the non-intro animation looks like it was done on a $0.30 budget.

I see the man who passed the law requiring Adult Animation to be as unpleasant to just look at as possible finally getting around to kids animation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Whitenoise Poster posted:

all the non-intro animation looks like it was done on a $0.30 budget.

At least it's true to the Eighties then :v:

edit: this is meant as bait for people to post bizarrely rad intros btw.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Man they really should not allow cartoonist to post on twitter though.

Lot's of people DESPERATELY trying spin the backlash as a masculinity thing, or a nostalgia thing when literally no one gives a poo poo about the old thunder cats outside of degenerates drawing porn of Cheetara and Kit. It's just ugly guys sorry.