Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Too bad you don't actually get matched against any of the free weekenders. I think they mostly just play with each other, which is probably a good thing.

Yeah, I've had a few obvious smurfs show up in casual which hopefully means the matchmaking is working and keeping them away from the actual newbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

O O O F

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

The caption was Free weekenders but those skins say otherwise

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

afkmacro posted:

The caption was Free weekenders but those skins say otherwise

Didn't even realize their was a caption. I'd have imagined it as, "And this is the team that got me banned for team kills."

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

I was playing pub matches on my cool xbox console earlier and there was one where some noob on my team was just spotting guys nonstop while I was on the floor above and I shot like 2 or 3 people through the floor. Probably not the best way to welcome new players, but it was fun at the time.

Getting owned through soft surfaces is key to the Siege Experience, this is what the game is all about.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
"The charms will be delivered the week after the event" Ubisoft making me wait for my charms!! How dare they!

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
First game of i joined for free weekene was terrorist hunt to get a handle on controls and such. Literally the first thing that happens is someone on my team chases me and team kills me. #thisissiege

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I don't think I've ever been intentionally TK'd.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Elysiume posted:

I don't think I've ever been intentionally TK'd.

they made it a lot harder to TK in thunt now so that it will basically never happen on accident anymore unless you nitro them or are already at low health

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
During T Hunt classic with a buddy we had one terrorist let and he was punching at Mongtange in the doorway. I was stuck behind Monty.

Naturally I swapped to the side shotgun and blew away Monty and the terrorist.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thief posted:

they made it a lot harder to TK in thunt now so that it will basically never happen on accident anymore unless you nitro them or are already at low health

What did they do exactly to prevent TKs in thunt?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Finka is good in terrorist hunt because if a teammate gets downed you can pop the heal to make them stand back up and the ai guarding them will execute them before the animation finishes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Aesis posted:

I've been having horrible time because I can't really use earphones without pain and have to rely on crappy speakers (couldn't tell where enemy was, as well as whether I'm making any noise or not), but on a few games I tried with earphones it really made a big difference.

A good set of gaming earphones is generally preferable over studio monitor style as they're more designed towards comfort over long periods. HyperX Cloud IIs were what the development team for Siege uses IIRC (that and they were bundled with a copy of siege for quite a while).

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Jack Trades posted:

What did they do exactly to prevent TKs in thunt?

player-to-player damage was reduced like 90% so unless you magdump into someone it shouldn't ever kill them quickly

every TK i've seen since this change has been blatantly intentional, going so far as to chase each other across the map to finish the job

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
PC or PS4? Concerned mainly about player base.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

strategery posted:

PC or PS4? Concerned mainly about player base.

Jack Trades posted:

Siege is the 4th most played game on Steam quite regularly so I'd say that it's indeed quite populated.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Are there still enough people in discord to help a totally new player learn this? I would hate to try to learn the ropes with total randos online.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
There are. Join us.

https://discord.gg/peSjqY

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I pulled the trigger on this and will do so.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm about to pull the trigger on this (PC), what's the current status of the game? Is it broken as hell? Enough goons to play with? I already joined the goon discord and I plan on mixing this up with my main game (The Division).

And yes, getting the Standard Edition, but is there any reason to get the advanced edition for 5€ more?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The advanced edition will get you 20 basic operators, saving you a bit of a grind. This game is getting better and better by every patch with more and more players. This is as good moment as any to pull the trigger, especially in PC.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Guillermus posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on this (PC), what's the current status of the game? Is it broken as hell? Enough goons to play with? I already joined the goon discord and I plan on mixing this up with my main game (The Division).

And yes, getting the Standard Edition, but is there any reason to get the advanced edition for 5€ more?

More than enough goons to play with: if you can stomach playing with high ping, there's like 20 guys to play with across the globe. We have enough EU, USA and Australian goons to fill a whole squad regardless of your server every weekend and most evenings.

It's a bit broken but not in ways that make it hard to enjoy the game. just "Oh, Ubisoft" moments every 10-20 matches when a ragdoll goes weird or when every single bullet hits an enemy and it takes 15 rounds to kill them.

There's a few hackers in the higher ranks and a lot of people complain about them but I have encountered it twice in 392 hours of gameplay.

The advanced edition gives you 10 of ye olde outbreak packs (lootboxes, not sure if they still give those since the outbreak event is over? Probably not.) and 600 credits (premium currency, which is enough to unlock 2 DLC operators or so out of the 18 in the game)

If you can shell out for a gold edition you will get two DLC operators for free with your game on top of the 600 credits, and 6 more over the course of this year as they are released, + some discounts here and there. If you get the complete edition you get every DLC operator on top of that.

The DLC operator grind is manageable (25000 renown per operator, meaning you get one every 15-20 matches or so) but if you think 25 bucks extra is worth cutting like 60 hours of grinding, it might be worth it. Do note that by the time you've given all the base game operators a whirl you'll probably have enough renown to buy one or two DLC operators so the grind isn't really a slog, just kind of a buffer in between learning the operators you already have and unlocking a new one. Map knowledge and skill is definitely more important than your actual operator so as a newbie you're not missing out that much without the DLC ops.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kikas posted:

The advanced edition will get you 20 basic operators, saving you a bit of a grind. This game is getting better and better by every patch with more and more players. This is as good moment as any to pull the trigger, especially in PC.

I thought standard gives you the base operators as well now?

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/2/17072204/rainbow-six-siege-editions-year-3-starter-standard

quote:

Starting on March 6, the first day of Siege’s Year Three content, players who buy, or already own, one of four editions — Standard, Advanced, Gold or Complete — will have the Renown cost of the game’s original 20 operators removed completely, making them free for players to use as soon as they start the game. The game’s DLC characters from the Year One and Year Two content will still cost Renown.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 20, 2018

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Game is really healthy, and was even before free weekend. Casual matchmaking takes anything between 5 to 30 seconds, ranked slightly more.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Para Bellum reveal coming up on the pro league stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/rainbow6

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Will do. Steamid is pauleku

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
the decoy not updating if Alibi changed her uniform is pretty annoying, although I guess expecting a DLC op to get a cool uniform is unlikely anyway so

otherwise both abilities look super cool

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Maestro looks like a real fucker, those gadgets look crazy powerful, and he gets an LMG with an ACOG.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Maestro new main

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Gonna play Alibi with only stock weapon and vanilla uniform to triple mindgame opfor forever

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alibi holos don't have any attachments....
Ironsights meta?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Also just noticing that Alibi gets the Judge shotgun pistol as a secondary.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

They got rid of Maestro's cigar. This game is unplayable.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Can confirm that purchasing Standard Edition right now unlocks all base operators (and they weapons+attachments).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man do those Italians look sexy af.
Even thinking about the simple Holo + Shield-in-a-doorway combo is giving me a boner. :awesome:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jack Trades posted:

Man do those Italians look sexy af.
Even thinking about the simple Holo + Shield-in-a-doorway combo is giving me a boner. :awesome:

While you lie down right beside the decoy and shoot around the gap between the shield and doorframe you deliberately left there. :getin:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Alibi is better then Maestro, cause Alibi isn't instantly coutered by loving ASH MAINS. However it's good to see Sledge out of all the ops get some unique interactions with the new crew.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

HOLO GIRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6mUXQOjNoM

CAMERA BOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp_enwRNJJg

the most surprising thing is maestro has that shotgun revolver (whatever name it has I forget) as a sidearm which is baller as all hell.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 20, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Both the Italians get either the shotgun pistol or a Mateba revolver, so I'm pretty sure that means they've got the coolest sidearms in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ATP_Power posted:

Both the Italians get either the shotgun pistol or a Mateba revolver, so I'm pretty sure that means they've got the coolest sidearms in the game.

gently caress, I didn't notice their revolver was a Mateba, which means I can never pick the Judge on them. :cry: