Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

You'll know when Jopson dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

etalian posted:

The show really captured how agonizing the final days of the expedition would have been since some ice ridges can be up to 20 feet tall.

The arctic really seems like a different sort of hell compared to say the Amazon basin, sub-saharan africa, or even Antarctica.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I can’t imagine feeling any kind of hope having to walk for weeks in that bleak of an environment, even if I was healthy and well-fed.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The arctic really seems like a different sort of hell compared to say the Amazon basin, sub-saharan africa, or even Antarctica.

Gimmie a miniseries that features literal bees licking the sweat and tears off your eyeballs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow, post your fetish much

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best cannibalism scenes since Ravenous, I loved how they were able to use the fine china and silverware they brought along.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

etalian posted:

I loved how they were able to use the fine china and silverware they brought along.

They aren't savages!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

York_M_Chan posted:

They aren't savages!

I loved that he had to sit alone and take his canabalism with fork and knife: there must be an officer's table!

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!

I mean... I laughed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I loved that he had to sit alone and take his canabalism with fork and knife: there must be an officer's table!

Say what you will, Fakey respected the rank.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
why the hell does sir john look like he is pregnant

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It was a neat bit how his story showed the complete breakdown of the traditional order and how's he a nobody cannibal in team mutiny

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

etalian posted:

It was a neat bit how his story showed the complete breakdown of the traditional order and how's he a nobody cannibal in team mutiny

Yeah when he meets up with the mutineers you can see him consider for a moment taking command. But then he looks at Hickey's smug face and the men behind him and just says 'so you've everything in hand then?'. Essentially relinquishing command without saying it explicitly.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Hickey on the show and Hickey in the book: I cannot grasp how he wasn't outright killed by his shipmates after all of the weak lawyering he attempted. Just to shut him up.

Trying to keep the show and book reading at the same timeframe is a challenge. 1 EP left and my read still has 20%+ remaining.
Goodsir just gave his rundown to Hickey concerning the best practices for cannibalism and pointing out why Hickey wants to take the infirm and surgeon with him

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 19, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The actor for Hickey is really good especially moments like his gallows moment when he tells all the information that Crozier witheld.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

etalian posted:

The actor for Hickey is really good especially moments like his gallows moment when he tells all the information that Crozier witheld.

Yet he really didn't have a defense for having repeatedly stabbing the lieutenant and cutting off his dinker while prancing about nekkid, and then massacring a group of friendly natives. Aaaaand people continued to follow the guy. :psyduck:

He is really good in the role. It's just the fact that he is able to get away with such things in both the book and series. The book is even less believable, the whole gallows thing not being a thing. I'll be honest, maybe I fell asleep and missed a chapter but in the book it really isn't explained how he is not immediately executed.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 19, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Yet he really didn't have a defense for having repeatedly stabbing the lieutenant and cutting off his dinker while prancing about nekkid, and then massacring a group of friendly natives. Aaaaand people continued to follow the guy. :psyduck:

He is really good in the role. It's just the fact that he is able to get away with such things in both the book and series. The book is even less believable, the whole gallows thing not being a thing. I'll be honest, maybe I fell asleep and missed a chapter but in the book it really isn't explained how he is not immediately executed.

He got saved by a Tuunbaq Ex Machina

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

etalian posted:

He got saved by a Tuunbaq Ex Machina

Well yeah in the TV series. (even so that does not excuse guys still willing to follow him.) In the book they pretty much have all the evidence that he killed the lieutenant and natives but then do absolutely nothing beyond continuing to be suspicious of the guy.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Everyone is supposed to be basically losing their minds completely at this point because of the lead. They could have used that more deliberately to show why people would mutiny. But since it's triggered by Hickey none of that really matters. Hickey has no arc or personality. He's just evil, and you are explicitly beaten over the head with it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A good spin off would be to do the "Man who ate his boots" story for Franklin's earlier disaster expedition on mainland Canada.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They should just do one every year for all the other doomed expeditions. Would anyone actually object

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

etalian posted:

A good spin off would be to do the "Man who ate his boots" story for Franklin's earlier disaster expedition on mainland Canada.

Many scenes of Sir John giving merry speeches to the crew then smash cut scene of crew plotting to eat him alive.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would have to said to hell with the boats and booked it south. Of course if the south side of the island is as barren as the center, they would be hosed but they are already hosed so there isn't much to lose. At least you might be able to fish or hunt seal. 20/20 hindsight and they were navy men, not survivalists. Even still, I can't understand why they sat around eating contaminated food knowing it would only make them more feeble.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

wormil posted:

I would have to said to hell with the boats and booked it south. Of course if the south side of the island is as barren as the center, they would be hosed but they are already hosed so there isn't much to lose. At least you might be able to fish or hunt seal. 20/20 hindsight and they were navy men, not survivalists. Even still, I can't understand why they sat around eating contaminated food knowing it would only make them more feeble.

King William island tends to be really inhospitable and doesn't attract much wildlife.

The whole heading south plan was pretty quixotic given the shear distance of the march and also how the whole crew was already physically ground down by two winters.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

wormil posted:

15,000-25,000 calories per man per day versus extended rationing waiting for the ice to thaw.

So gamble on burning through your supplies on the 600-1200 mile journey or hope for a thaw next spring...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think you have an extra zero on those calories.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

I think you have an extra zero on those calories.

RCMP did an experiment and their dudes were burning >15k/day hauling sledges. :stare:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

RCMP did an experiment and their dudes were burning >15k/day hauling sledges. :stare:

I'm trying to imagine how many cans that would be for the entire crew to go along that trip and how many calories could be contained in each individual can.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

etalian posted:

The whole heading south plan was pretty quixotic given the shear distance of the march and also how the whole crew was already physically ground down by two winters.

Why TWO winters -- how long were they stuck on the ships after they got iced in? I thought they'd gone in at the tail end of summer and got stuck in the fall, and the plan was to wait til the next spring to get the ships through, but they left sooner because of the food issues. Did I skip over an extra year stuck in the pack? I do remember some dialogue suggesting that they'd been stuck for a year, but I wasn't sure how that made sense. Why weren't they able to escape after the first winter ended?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The ice didn't thaw enough to free them before the 2nd winter set in.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

Why TWO winters -- how long were they stuck on the ships after they got iced in? I thought they'd gone in at the tail end of summer and got stuck in the fall, and the plan was to wait til the next spring to get the ships through, but they left sooner because of the food issues. Did I skip over an extra year stuck in the pack? I do remember some dialogue suggesting that they'd been stuck for a year, but I wasn't sure how that made sense. Why weren't they able to escape after the first winter ended?

They over-wintered twice on the ships in the pack (we know this historically from the addendum found on the Cairn message), then decided to try to hoof it when supplies got to the point of "walk out now or no longer have enough supplies for an attempt."

IIRC one of the ships may have been freed from the pack, but the other was found in a condition which suggests it was still set into the ice, abandoned, when it thawed and the ship sank in place.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Favorite shot from the show had to be the gallows scene.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Crozier making the case against Hickey was also an outstanding moment from Jared Harris.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Started watching the expanse and got pleasantly surprised by Crozier showing up. So that’s cool.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

George H.W. oval office posted:

Started watching the expanse and got pleasantly surprised by Crozier showing up. So that’s cool.

Jared Harris can be in everything. Preferably with Tobias Menzies now that we've discovered their chemistry!

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
My favourite Jared Harris scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_88FfHcIo

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Goodsir: good until the very end.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Jared Harris can be in everything. Preferably with Tobias Menzies now that we've discovered their chemistry!

I'd like that very much.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

After watching the finale for a second time, I’m still amazed at how tender and caring Crozier was with the dead and dying and how well Jared Harris pulled it off. Give him all the awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

bitchymcjones posted:

Goodsir: good until the last bite.