Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Big Comedown has an awesome industrial beat to it but holy poo poo does it also translate amazingly to a live band. Probably my favorite song on Another Version of the Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
The Becoming (still) and Black Bomb with Josh Wink.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

All of The Fragile tracks with the back female singers on the last tour we're hands down the best

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Besides what has been mentioned the drums at the end of Piggy are loving savage as gently caress.

Also on the opposite end of the spectrum the cheesy synth beats of Sanctified are amazing.

Pino Palladino's unbelievable reimagining of Sanctified's bass line.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Terrible Lie, Wish, Gave Up, March of the Pigs, Reptile, We're In This Together, The Collector, The Hand That Feeds, Getting Smaller, Hyperpower!, 1,000,000, Discipline, Satellite and The Idea of You come to mind. Some of those are cemented in my brain from seeing them performed live so many times, others are just songs I find myself tapping out on my steering wheel or my desk or whatever every time I listen to them.

And obviously The Perfect Drug :v:

Finally a chance to post this blast from the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ZMKfFHU3U

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

a mysterious cloak posted:

Pino Palladino's unbelievable reimagining of Sanctified's bass line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBiYFoHsOg

Yeah, it puts the original to shame honestly.

(I almost forgot that this version includes part of Sunspots at the end!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWmoco8XqPA

How To Destroy Angels did have some really loving good drums too, even if they were mostly synthetic and sometimes had layers of effects obscuring them on the albums. Some of the live performances of those songs rectified that, but unfortunately there weren't many of those:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiIh0xxAg48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB7vwdDbgxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvhYJjRHw8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBPrKBuY_Xk

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 18, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Convict Colony's got one hell of a beat too.

Actually I never thought of it but it's kind of similar to The Collector in a way :stare:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If we’re including non-NIN things then I vote The Believers, Black History Month, and Meet Your Master.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Fave NIN beats:
Sanctified (The rework gives me shivers still), The Wretched, Into The Void, The Perfect Drug, the entirety of Year Zero, okay, actually just The Good Soldier, Me, I'm Not, God Given, The Great Destroyer, 3 Ghosts I, 35 Ghosts IV, Find My Way, Disappointed, Running, Less Than, The Background World

I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole bunch but that' just what I can think of (although I did have to scan through Ghosts, admittedly lol)

Fave HTDA beats:

Fur Lined, The Believers, The wake-up (I wish this was a more fleshed out song every time :smith:), Welcome oblivion, How long?, Strings and attractors, and obviously The loop closes.

Fake edit: They added a third show in Chicago :o

Sai-kun fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 19, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So any goons actually waiting in lines?

(If so stop reading this because the digital world has failed you and you should be interacting with other people or something)

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

So any goons actually waiting in lines?

(If so stop reading this because the digital world has failed you and you should be interacting with other people or something)

I said gently caress you to Trent and made my girlfriend go wait in line for me so I can shitpost on the forums. :colbert:

she's actually very nice and got up early for me because I wasn't able to go, and I love her :unsmith:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Didn’t feel like risking waiting in a downpour in Detroit, or... well, spending nearly 4-5 hours of my time today getting tickets.
I’d be more willing to accept the “I want to do it like the old days” bit if he were charging old days prices.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I love you Trent, but I hope your day one ticket sales make you turn around and hit the for sale button on ticketmaster.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sleepwalkers posted:

Didn’t feel like risking waiting in a downpour in Detroit, or... well, spending nearly 4-5 hours of my time today getting tickets.
I’d be more willing to accept the “I want to do it like the old days” bit if he were charging old days prices.
That reminds me: how much was it to go to a NIN show in the 90s? I know the economy was different back then and such, but I didn't see them for the first time until 2008 so I have no idea.

Like at the height of their popularity with Closer/Head Like A Hole/etc., were they charging $100 a head for their shows? Or was it a lot more reasonably priced?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

That reminds me: how much was it to go to a NIN show in the 90s? I know the economy was different back then and such, but I didn't see them for the first time until 2008 so I have no idea.

Like at the height of their popularity with Closer/Head Like A Hole/etc., were they charging $100 a head for their shows? Or was it a lot more reasonably priced?

Shows overall were WAY more reasonably priced. The rise of online ticketing and scalping showed most venues and artists they were actually undercharging for premium tickets at most events. Cheap seats in venues are still (relatively) cheap, but better seats have exploded in price.
Pictures of various tickets for NIN’s various 94-95 tours show prices to be roughly ~£10 for European shows, US$15-25 for GA.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sleepwalkers posted:

Pictures of various tickets for NIN’s various 94-95 tours show prices to be roughly ~£10 for European shows, US$15-25 for GA.
Oh what the gently caress :negative:

God, I'd kill to see NIN for that cheap.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/997836982117109761

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

The Boston location had 3 ticket windows open and they were taking about 2 minutes per transaction. I was #324 and they didn't get to me until 2:30.

They stopped letting people in around #800. There are still hundreds of people outside. They only scheduled all the employees till 3, but they extended it until 6. Hilarious.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I mean they did admit it would be lovely

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/ChadSloman/status/997836746577645568/photo/1

Apparently this was my theater around 9 this morning.

lol, no thanks

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

I mean they did admit it would be lovely

This is significantly shittier than any of the problems an online presale would have caused.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I hope this high a demand means a lot of tickets end up on StubHub so I can actually go to this somehow.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Every part of my brain was screaming at me for not going this morning but it sounds like it was probably best I didn't go, especially given what a miserable rainy day it turned out to be.

I still sort of hope I can find some sort of tickets to this but I'm not holding my breath. I hope it ends up being a more low key small venue tour and not something like HTDA small venue tour so I can feel sort of okay about missing this.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I loving adore how NIN’s Twitter account is giddily retweeting pictures of people buying 10-12 tickets as if they actually plan on bringing their entire extended family to the concert and aren’t planning on immediately flipping these online.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...I thought you could only buy 4 tickets max?

Also about 140 tickets for the Boston show are already on Stub Hub (starting at over $300 of course)

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 19, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pirate Jet posted:

I loving adore how NIN’s Twitter account is giddily retweeting pictures of people buying 10-12 tickets as if they actually plan on bringing their entire extended family to the concert and aren’t planning on immediately flipping these online.
lmao

I saw tweets that they were selling merch at these presales too, so those booths all had to be staffed. And I also saw that they had giant banners at several of the venues and a ton of signage and fancy exclusive packaging for the tickets and poo poo.

Like, y'all probably could've saved a bunch of money and saved people a lot of time and hassle by just doing a password-protected online presale or something, but okay.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

lmao

I saw tweets that they were selling merch at these presales too, so those booths all had to be staffed. And I also saw that they had giant banners at several of the venues and a ton of signage and fancy exclusive packaging for the tickets and poo poo.

Like, y'all probably could've saved a bunch of money and saved people a lot of time and hassle by just doing a password-protected online presale or something, but okay.

I mean at this point it's clear that this is more about being a publicity stunt than it actually was about how bad internet ticket buying is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean at this point it's clear that this is more about being a publicity stunt than it actually was about how bad internet ticket buying is.
It's funny too because like someone said a few pages ago (can't remember who exactly), they haven't had a hit single in many years (was the last one The Hand That Feeds? because that was like 13 years ago lol). God Break Down The Door rules, but it's not going to top the streaming charts or anything. So I'm pretty sure most of the people that actually lined up to buy tickets have been following them for 10 to 20 years at minimum and have the money to throw at them.

They don't seem to be trying to attract any new fans with this publicity stunt.

It's almost like they're pulling a stunt that Death Grips would've pulled years ago after Trent accosted Death Grips for cancelling on them as an opener right before that tour started in 2014 lol

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's still my headcanon that Death Grips faked their own breakup specifically to piss off Trent Reznor.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Also, uhh, AWITHUHHHHHHHHHH TEETHUHHHHHHHHHHH

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Also, stolen from a friend's Facebook, but lmao, good job stopping scalpers Trent!

And this was before noon!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/vcolombo/status/997885063021973504

https://twitter.com/jjstation_/status/997898807085068289

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 20, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That's the particularly maddening thing about this "event," really - NIN as a brand name is big enough and has enough of a cult following that there's no way the presale wasn't gonna sell out anyways. It didn't particularly matter, financially, whether the presale was physical or online, so all Trent really did was just make the purchasing process even more annoying and exclusionary for nobody's benefit whatsoever. Except for the nearby bars that got to make menus of awful puns, I guess. (And not even awful in the fun way. "La Mer French Toast?" What the gently caress?) Dollars to donuts that in the near future somebody on Team NIN will be like "wow we sold every single ticket! This event was a huge success!"

I miss the old method where when NIN was done making music they'd just put it right up on their website and start making money immediately instead of making people go through a million hoops to stand in line for hours hoping to hear two tracks a singular time on a designated pair of headphones.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 20, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pirate Jet posted:

I miss the old method where when NIN was done making music they'd just put it right up on their website and start making money immediately instead of making people go through a million hoops to stand in line for hours hoping to hear two tracks a singular time on a designated pair of headphones.
But that's the way it used to be done in the 90s, remember??? When there were dedicated music store chains like Tower Records with headphone listening stations set up so you could preview a CD to decide whether or not you were going to buy it?

It's weird because NIN has always been forward-thinking and this reeks of "Man, weren't the 90s great?! Let's go back to the 90s!"

And according to all the retweets I was seeing on my timeline earlier, a lot of people bought into it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be really obnoxious when the rest if the tickets go on sale and sell out in a nanosecond and all the people that were really into this dumb idea are gonna be like "see, look how bad that was!"

I did like that I was looking through comments and one person was like "all you whiners would have loved the 2005 club tour where tickets went on sale and sold out instantly and no one got tickets" and it's just funny because I'm a whiner and I got tickets to that tour through Ticketmaster without any real problems

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I've seen NIN a a handful of time between 2005 and the hesitation marks tour and never had a problem getting decent tickets online in the $25-$60 range depending on the venue. Those were all arena shows in St. Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, and Columbus. It looks like the prices for these new shows are significantly higher at the box office, is it the "intimate venue" price? It seems like these cost more than they would from a ticket broker.
(I know, nowhere near the demand of NIN) I saw Puscifer in Louisville, Brown Theater (1400 cap) and Indianapolis, Murat Theater (2500 cap) for $25-$35. Scalpers still get the best tickets i'm sure, but in that size of venue all the seats are great.

Bonus tour shirt pics:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Skails posted:

I've seen NIN a a handful of time between 2005 and the hesitation marks tour and never had a problem getting decent tickets online in the $25-$60 range depending on the venue. Those were all arena shows in St. Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, and Columbus. It looks like the prices for these new shows are significantly higher at the box office, is it the "intimate venue" price? It seems like these cost more than they would from a ticket broker.
(I know, nowhere near the demand of NIN) I saw Puscifer in Louisville, Brown Theater (1400 cap) and Indianapolis, Murat Theater (2500 cap) for $25-$35. Scalpers still get the best tickets i'm sure, but in that size of venue all the seats are great.

Yep, the ticket price discrepancy there is, I think, two things: One, there are no "cheap seats" in the venues they're touring at now, so more of the venue is priced at the higher tier. I bet the best seats on the Hesitation Marks tour aren't that far off from the better seats in these venues. NIN and the venues know that demand likely outstrips capacity for these venues, so they can price more of the venue in a premium range. Two, it's a pretty small tour, all things considered, so they're likely interested in charging more to recoup tour cost and make it worth their while.

e: APC tickets were $75 for what I'd call above average main floor at the same venue in Detroit that NIN will be playing at.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The first two rows in Boston were $250 a ticket I believe which is just...really?

I think nosebleeds were $75

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Can't wait for when this tour starts and there is no visuals or anything, it's just going to be the band on stage just like it was in the 90s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The first two rows in Boston were $250 a ticket I believe which is just...really?

I think nosebleeds were $75

The Metallica tour this year is $163 for upper deck and $3-500 for lower. It’s loving unreal how fast concert prices have shot up in the past 10 years or so.