Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The cohesive look is also just WoW but without the charm or anything copyrightable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

Isn't that partially why Mists of Pandaria exists? I once heard it was because one of the expansions wasn't released to China because of censorship, and that Mists or another expansion was made partly as a response to that. Then again, it's been a long time since I read that, and I've never seen it said anywhere else since, so maybe that's not the case.

Wrath didn't launch in China until a couple months before Cataclysm came out.

Mists of Pandaria was also part of a pivot to better incorporate the Chinese audience, but it was also the best expansion to date in general so it wasn't exactly a crass cash in.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

Wrath didn't launch in China until a couple months before Cataclysm came out.

Mists of Pandaria was also part of a pivot to better incorporate the Chinese audience, but it was also the best expansion to date in general so it wasn't exactly a crass cash in.

That might have been what I read; that someone saw Mists as a sort of appeasement for the delay with Wrath of the Lich King.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i remember the reason they going around why they didn't add pandarens early on (since it should been the first race added) was not to offend china.

it's still weird they added the draenei but made them look like eredar and not like the much cooler draenei that were already in the game and wc3. then added werewolves (wtf?) as a playable race instead of something cool like nerubians.

blizzard sucks so much rear end.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I remember at the time I was really jazzed to get to play as a Broken, but I guess people needed boring space elves with generic crystal technology.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Pandaria kicked rear end because it pushed the writing team out of their comfort zone of killing off characters from Warcraft 2/3, and as a result they came up with some genuinely interesting and fleshed out locations/races/events.
Same thing happened with the Arakkoa in WoD and the Nightborne in Legion, the moment they can just go hog wild with a concept largely unconnected from the ongoing plot spaghetti they nail it.

See all the garbage that's coming out from the previews of the BfA novels to see when they don't.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don't know if it's true, but my favorite apocryphal blizzard story is that one of the reasons they let Valve go ahead with Dota 2 is that, when they tried to say that everything in Dota is their copyright, one of the companies behind Slayers decided to dunk on them due to a dota character being, literally, Lina Inverse

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SteelMentor posted:

Pandaria kicked rear end because it pushed the writing team out of their comfort zone of killing off characters from Warcraft 2/3, and as a result they came up with some genuinely interesting and fleshed out locations/races/events.
Same thing happened with the Arakkoa in WoD and the Nightborne in Legion, the moment they can just go hog wild with a concept largely unconnected from the ongoing plot spaghetti they nail it.

See all the garbage that's coming out from the previews of the BfA novels to see when they don't.

My only complaint with the Nightborne is Blizzard making them a Horde race for the next expansion instead of another neutral one. Kinda shits on the Alliance players a wee bit after all the grinding to complete the storyline.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint with the Nightborne is Blizzard making them a Horde race for the next expansion instead of another neutral one. Kinda shits on the Alliance players a wee bit after all the grinding to complete the storyline.

Aw come on, man. We just closed the lore thread!

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Tired Moritz posted:

old yorick was really good and i miss him now

Alas.

I'm glad to see that for the time being, even after the collapse of CA, crossovers are still happening. Film Brain recently did one with The Dom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUzK5n22e8A

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want to like the Dom but I realized I can't deal with people whining about how adaptations aren't 100% accurate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tired Moritz posted:

I want to like the Dom but I realized I can't deal with people whining about how adaptations aren't 100% accurate.

same. Seems like a decent enough guy and show but I'm just incredibly over the whole 'critiquing an adaptation by just saying how different it is'. Obviously there are cases where that should be part of it but I'm just kinda bored with ones that are focused on it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

New Ahoy. This is not a drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F9ahZQ7oP0

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I don't believe you, he was assassinated after revealing the truth behind Polybius.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

same. Seems like a decent enough guy and show but I'm just incredibly over the whole 'critiquing an adaptation by just saying how different it is'. Obviously there are cases where that should be part of it but I'm just kinda bored with ones that are focused on it.

From what I've watched of his he doesn't seem too much of a purist, mostly he just seems to explain/list differences. Though I may have just seen a few better videos.

The big problem with 'The Dom' for me is that he puts 'The' in front of his monicker and the fact he talks in annoying rear end in a top hat youtuber voice.

And frankly terrible skits. But thats just par for ex CA people.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

LGR finally got that Phillips CD-i

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I've been subbed to Ahoy for a couple of years now and I'm still always impressed by his presentation. I'd watch a video about horticulture if it were presented in his style.

...actually, I'd probably still watch a video on horticulture.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

cosmically_cosmic posted:

From what I've watched of his he doesn't seem too much of a purist, mostly he just seems to explain/list differences. Though I may have just seen a few better videos.

The big problem with 'The Dom' for me is that he puts 'The' in front of his monicker and the fact he talks in annoying rear end in a top hat youtuber voice.

And frankly terrible skits. But thats just par for ex CA people.

Yeah he's chill enough and pretty fair. I only recall him being angry at 50 Shades and even then he did defend and explain misconceptions.
But never ever watch a video with his stupid Harry Potter OC in it.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 19, 2018

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Jackson Tyler has written a really solid critique of God of War and how the prestige packaging of the latest game is used to disguise the same toxic ideologies found in the rest of the series.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/god-of-war/trophy/11533-Don-t-They-Ever-Shut-Up-.html

Edit: Actual Link
https://deorbital.media/the-game-of-the-generation-58ab544630cb

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 19, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Conal Cochran posted:

Jackson Tyler has written a really solid critique of God of War and how the prestige packaging of the latest game is used to disguise the same toxic ideologies found in the rest of the series.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/god-of-war/trophy/11533-Don-t-They-Ever-Shut-Up-.html

I've always wondered how to defeat the desert sirens

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://deorbital.media/the-game-of-the-generation-58ab544630cb

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

I've always wondered how to defeat the desert sirens

Not my finest moment, but probably not my worst.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
My favorite thing is when authors make a series of unsupported claims that are tangentially related to the topic and then never addresses them again. A really solid critique.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i read it and I dont really get what's their point

edit: I reread it and I kinda get it but I don't really think the new GoW is really promoted as a feminist masterpiece.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 19, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Big spoilers for the game in the article.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tired Moritz posted:

i read it and I dont really get what's their point

edit: I reread it and I kinda get it but I don't really think the new GoW is really promoted as a feminist masterpiece.

there are absolutely painting the new GoW as some huge leap forward in gender roles and all and tons of terrible 'GoW taught me to be a better dad' takes. It's kinda fair to say 'yea but this is like the avatar of toxic masculinity in modern gaming' in response. Like, you can say 'well that's the point of THIS game, to change him' and I agree but it also wouldn't have had such a huge launch if not for the GoW brand.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, people are absolutely playing up GoW as some sort of massive super amazing perfect game, as if whatever story it's trying to tell hasn't been done better and more tastefully in 2010.

I mean, poo poo, playing up a designed by committee AAA game like this is pretty :laffo::
https://twitter.com/GamesRadar/status/994668494351470592

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The game is real good, but other games did some things it does a whole lot better. On the writing side, it still doesn't know what to do with women characters. They have no agency or voice.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gow i believe is the highest rated game on ps4 despite that console having the greatest game of all time on it (bloodborne).

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

God of War 2018 was good and you could basically see the millions of Triple A dollars burning on-screen in real-time but people heralding it as a triumph and masterpiece of gaming is weird to me. There's some serious flaws in the game technically, like the camera being so loving close to Kratos that playing on anything above Hard is a goddamned nightmare.

edit: I'm also so tired of Dad Games. When the hell are we going to see a cool Mom Game aside from Bayonetta?

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 19, 2018

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

gow i believe is the highest rated game on ps4 despite that console having the greatest game of all time on it (bloodborne).

That's bizzare

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Not really. Bloodborne is great but doesn't have as wide appeal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mokinokaro posted:

Not really. Bloodborne is great but doesn't have as wide appeal.

Just wait until Bloodborne 2, where you play as the hunter twenty years after and you have to adopt a baby moon being and teach it how to grow up in the cold, heartless world of blood monsters.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i heard its good and it has a pretty good father son relationship going for it but it doesn't actually end the story so we don't actually know exactly where its themes are going.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, people are absolutely playing up GoW as some sort of massive super amazing perfect game, as if whatever story it's trying to tell hasn't been done better and more tastefully in 2010.

I mean, poo poo, playing up a designed by committee AAA game like this is pretty :laffo::
https://twitter.com/GamesRadar/status/994668494351470592

wait, what game told that story better in 2010

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

wait, what game told that story better in 2010

I assume he's referring to Nier. Which, other than them both being Dad games, are completely different stories.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

I assume he's referring to Nier. Which, other than them both being Dad games, are completely different stories.

God of War is imo a better game than Nier.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I liked Nier but it did suffer from trying to be a game about being a dad and about being a child at the same time, due to there literally being two separate game built into the script. Which means that no matter which version you played some scenes were clearly meant for the other version.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Junpei Hyde posted:

God of War is imo a better game than Nier.

Even thinking of God of War bores me to tears, so I highly doubt that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Libluini posted:

Even thinking of God of War bores me to tears, so I highly doubt that

that sounds really dangerous if it happens while driving