Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CharlestonJew posted:

why did they give Finn a new love interest? did Finn get officially friendzoned by Rey or something?

If Rey has no specific emotional commitments, she can continue to be a cipher, which is useful for marketing purposes.

That said, it looked like maybe Finn wasn’t all that into Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finn and Rey and friends. Rose and Finn are also friends. You can love your friends without wanting to shoot the torpedo into the exhaust port.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Also for whatever reason the idea of a black man kissing a white woman or there being any sort of consensual passion between the two is alarming to executives. White man and black woman? Perfectly fine. Black man and latina? Perfectly fine. Gay couples of any sort of intermixed race? A-okay! Asian man, white woman? "Well, no one finds Asian men attractive, but we'll let it go." Black man, white woman? Now hold your horses here, bucko, we're afraid that could be offensive to some folks.

poo poo, it took Will Smith until like Bright before he had an on-screen marriage with a white woman. Denzel has maybe had one or two on-screen mixed relationships like that? But hell if they'll anchor the love story of a blockbuster with it.

It's the strangest, stupidest hurdle. But then you remember some people lost their poo poo over a Cheerios commercial that did BM/WW, and you go "well, I suppose they have some actual evidence that they don't think it's worth the trouble."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zoe Seldana and Chris Pratt made out in the biggest movie of all time though.
And don't say she's green.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CelticPredator posted:

Zoe Seldana and Chris Pratt made out in the biggest movie of all time though.
And don't say she's green.

Unless Chris Pratt is the palest black man on the planet, you may have misread that post.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes I did.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CharlestonJew posted:

why did they give Finn a new love interest? did Finn get officially friendzoned by Rey or something?

Because Disney is too conservative to show Finn and Poe in a loving, mutually respectful relationship. Finn is totally Rey's gay best friend.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rey never showed romantic interest in Finn

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

no one shows romantic interest in tfa, really. SMG had it right when he compared it to sonic of all things

luckily TLJ escapes that and has dad luke walk in on the kids about to kiss and ruining the moment with some 'you are not to see that boy anymore!' dadding

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I actually kinda thought Finn had a good character and arc in TFA (the only one besides Kylo). He's a grunt, see's some serious poo poo on his first mission and realizes he wants no part of this, tries to run away from it all, and finally realizes that you can't just put your head in the sand and let the world burn and that other people do indeed matter to you. One of the many things that make TLJ so aggravating is this entire arc is swept under the rug and Finn is exactly what he was at the start of TFA.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently the intent with Finn was that he wasn't just abandoning the resistance, but rather going off to find Rey using the tracker Leia dropped. Unfortunately, they cut the scene that set this up, and his story for the rest of the movie had nothing to do with him trying to find Rey, so now he just comes off as a coward again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

I actually kinda thought Finn had a good character and arc in TFA (the only one besides Kylo). He's a grunt, see's some serious poo poo on his first mission and realizes he wants no part of this, tries to run away from it all, and finally realizes that you can't just put your head in the sand and let the world burn and that other people do indeed matter to you. One of the many things that make TLJ so aggravating is this entire arc is swept under the rug and Finn is exactly what he was at the start of TFA.

The serious poo poo he sees can't have had that profound of an effect on him since he readily inflicts similarly serious poo poo on his fellow grunts while trying to escape.

Logically the awakening he experiences as his comrade dies in his arms can only have been a lust for stormtrooper blood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Style posted:

Apparently the intent with Finn was that he wasn't just abandoning the resistance, but rather going off to find Rey using the tracker Leia dropped. Unfortunately, they cut the scene that set this up, and his story for the rest of the movie had nothing to do with him trying to find Rey, so now he just comes off as a coward again.

I felt like that was in the finished movie anyway. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
MORE kissing?!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I want chewie to gently caress a porg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

I want chewie to gently caress a porg

The Porg loving Movie, a film by Thierry Zéno.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I felt like that was in the finished movie anyway. :shrug:

yeah i never got the vibe that finn was straight up bailing on everyone at the start of TLJ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
He literally directly tells Rose that's what he's doing :psyduck: she doesn't believe him at first but the audience is never given any reason to assume he's lying

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

His first words when waking up from a coma is "where's Rey", too. I can see how between that and telling Rose "I need to find Rey so she doesn't come back here and get blown up like the rest of you" would seem like enough and any more scenes would be dragging the movie along and making too much of a point of it when, in reality, the rest of his arc is going to disregard it anyway.

But it is still funny that TFA sets up all this stuff - Finn lying about being in the Resistance, BB8 being his wingman for a moment in the Falcon, most of his TFA stuff is "I got a boner for the desert girl" but the movie itself is so drastically afraid of actually tapping into any sexuality whatsoever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
to be honest i have a feeling this is partly because finn is very black, rey is very white, poe is white-passing and also a guy, and disney has all the balls of a gelding horse (and the right wing crowd getting Very Mad about TFA probably didn't help things)

e: also it's amazing that, upon forgetting poe's name, i typed "pilot guy from the new star wars movies" into google and it immediately pulled up the loving wookieepedia page for Poe Dameron

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

“This movie was tepid trash, but they really set the stage for the next movie to be good” is a train of thought that needs to just die already.

I don't think that's quite the argument being brought up.

The idea, I think, is that Force Awakens had good aspects (Interesting and/or likable characters, fun interactions) and bad aspects (the main plot was A New Hope, But Again). The sequel, therefore, would be expected to be good in the ways Force Awakens was good without repeating the same plot.

Unfortunately, we got the reverse. The character interactions that people liked were removed by splitting the cast up, most of the new characters came off as less interesting, and the main plot is somehow even worse.

(That said, yeah. "This sucks, but maybe the next one will be good" is very seldom a reasonable argument.)

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Making the Falcon an object of nerdy awe and multiple glory shots per movie is the most aggravating thing.
loving please let it go.
You just know they’re going to milk it for so many more movies. Who even likes that POS that much? It’s just a ship, it’s the pilots (han and lando) who make it sorta work. You could easily replace it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The falcon was ok when it was a beat up pile of poo poo. The new iFalcon looks dumb as gently caress.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

WOW its the :allears: :allears: :shlick: falcon!!!!!!

Its embarassing as hell

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really wish Han had died in the falcon and they were both gone.

It could make a great Chewie moment even. Have him sit out a flight for some reason and that’s when Han finally gets blown up. Then Chewie goes berserk with rage and guilt. Have him rip off a trooper’s arm, or even have him jump in a fighter and tear poo poo up, showing he’s a badass pilot in his own right.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Why is the Millennium Falcon placed in such a prominent role while R2-D2, a much more iconic bit of Star Wars imagery, is sidelined?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

pospysyl posted:

Why is the Millennium Falcon placed in such a prominent role while R2-D2, a much more iconic bit of Star Wars imagery, is sidelined?

Because you need to pay an (expensive) actor to run the R2D2 costume but the Falcon is cheap overseas visual effects.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Phi230 posted:

I want chewie to gently caress shove a porg up his rear end

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CharlestonJew posted:

Because Finn and Rey weren't going to see each other until the end of this film and there wouldn't be time to address any romance they HAD to give a new one so people wouldn't keep wondering if he's gay for Poe. Can't have that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ammanas posted:

Because you need to pay an (expensive) actor to run the R2D2 costume but the Falcon is cheap overseas visual effects.

R2D2 is literally a robot now.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

pospysyl posted:

The evil influence of Big Lego.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CelticPredator posted:

R2D2 is literally a robot now.

A robot controlling technician is even more expensive, that's a comp sci or engineering degree

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just think it’s funny that Disney basically refuses to design a new spaceship in a franchise about space wars involving spaceships going pew pew blammo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
To be fair there was extremely little pew pew spaceship blammo in the prequels

Disney has given us our dose of peeeeew pewpewpew nnnnnneeeeeiiiiiiiirrrrggggggh x wings tie fighters nreeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugy *bzzzzt zt*

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 19, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think most people really care about what spaceships are in it all that much, just that there are some. :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You could carve “Star War” into a turd from a reanimated water buffalo’s rear end and people would still fill convention halls to dress up as TurdTrooper #1135.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

You could carve “Star War” into a turd from a reanimated water buffalo’s rear end and people would still fill convention halls to dress up as TurdTrooper #1135.

Yeah, I too saw TFA.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

To be fair there was extremely little pew pew spaceship blammo in the prequels

End battle in ep1, jango chase and geonosis battle in 2 and opening battle in 3

Also notably new, unique designs in every single one of those battles.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

I just think it’s funny that Disney basically refuses to design a new spaceship in a franchise about space wars involving spaceships going pew pew blammo

i mean, it makes sense in the context of the new trilogy- the First Order is basically a cargo cult version of the Empire, so of course all their kit is pretty much based off imperial designs, and the Resistance just straight up can't afford new ships and is using old Rebellion gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

We’re 3 movies into Disney Star Wars and we’ve got one measly lightsaber duel.