Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I just picked up Dragon's Crown Pro, anything worth knowing that's not covered on the wiki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Anything I should know about Ico? The PS3 remaster if that changes anything

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Anything I should know about Ico? The PS3 remaster if that changes anything

Without trying to spoil, there are shadow enemies that drag people into holes that appear when combat starts. A successful abduction is a game over. Instead of chasing these enemies all around, stand next to these holes while fighting. You can them immediately rescue the victims instead of hoping you can reach the abductee in time.

edit: literally, i hated the game until I figured that out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gynovore posted:

I picked up Witcher 1 a month ago and gave up after two hours. Am I all thumbs or is the combat really that bad?
Could be either one! Your strikes have to be timed to go with the uhh is it a flash or a tone or both? of the little icons that appear when you are fighting. Beyond that you are early enough in the game that using magic or potions is probably not the issue, though certainly the more accouterments and fancyblasts you can bring to bear in a fight the better-off you will be.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Silvergun1000 posted:

I just picked up Dragon's Crown Pro, anything worth knowing that's not covered on the wiki?

The wiki for that's pretty complete. I'd say don't stress equipment beyond picking the highest level stuff you pick up in the levels. Also, if you want to get all of the trophies, eating every different food item is by far the trickiest one.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I installed a mod that increased your base running speed. There's so much back-and-forth running, especially at the start of the game, that it gets really tedious. The game's totally playable otherwise, but for the sake of expediency, I'd strongly recommend it.

My memories of Witcher 1 will forever be of running back and forth in that loving swamp in Act 2. gently caress that Act. I ended up using a trainer to god mode through the rest of the game so I could import to Witcher 2

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Gynovore posted:

I picked up Witcher 1 a month ago and gave up after two hours. Am I all thumbs or is the combat really that bad?

There is combat? You just pick one of three modes depending who you fight(scrawny dude - fast style, fat dude-strong style, 3 or more dudes- group style) and click when cursor changes to flaming sword. The only risk is dying of boredom v0v

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Quarex posted:

Witcher 1 is amazing there we just had the argument that always happens here

Edit: Its combos are rhythm-based and I never felt like an utter failure at life as a result unlike in 2 where everyone dies in the tutorial. But I am sure 2 is still a great game and maybe some day I will actually not give up in frustration after the tutorial

The Witcher 2 has an awful tutorial that’s probably the hardest part of the game. They gated way too much of the functionality behind unlocks, and you pretty much need to go to the lowest difficulty until you figure out all the buttons and poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could anyone give me a hand with Tales of Berseria fighting? Never played a game in this series before and it's... Odd. With Velvet, buttonmashing seems to work well enough but I cannot reach anywhere near that level with any of the other characters - I like Eizen's meaty-sounding punching well enough but the guy is out of breath after one combo, for example, and don't get me started on trying to combo magic or figuring out how the samurai guy's soul break works.
What am I doing wrong? Could someone give me a short rundown of the characters' playstyles? Don't worry about spoiling, I've got four people now and a strong suspicion the insufferable witch is going to be the fifth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

anilEhilated posted:

Could anyone give me a hand with Tales of Berseria fighting? Never played a game in this series before and it's... Odd. With Velvet, buttonmashing seems to work well enough but I cannot reach anywhere near that level with any of the other characters - I like Eizen's meaty-sounding punching well enough but the guy is out of breath after one combo, for example, and don't get me started on trying to combo magic or figuring out how the samurai guy's soul break works.
What am I doing wrong? Could someone give me a short rundown of the characters' playstyles? Don't worry about spoiling, I've got four people now and a strong suspicion the insufferable witch is going to be the fifth.

The game straight-up shows who your party members are in the opening movie, it's not a big secret.

What gets you Break Souls is just stunning, killing, or inflicting ailments (which gets easier as you get more Ventite from bossess, Code Red Demons, and a few story moments). You can also get them from carefully-timed side-stepping out of being attacked, but those fly off into the fight arena for you to retrieve. If you have three or more Souls stored, using Consuming Claw (R2) is well worth doing as it buffs your stats and makes it even easier to get Souls if you play your cards right. And can be sustained for a fair while if you don't complete a four-move combo. At the very least, you'll probably net at least one soul and can Thereonize something again the moment the current run ends.

A good basic combo to stick on a button is alternating between the forward and reverse spinning kicks. They're basic martial Artes without an element, and a lot of enemies are weak to that. Plus both moves use very little Soul Gauge.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Finally bit the bullet and cut all the chaff from the Final Fantasy Tactics page. It was all good tips, but way, way too much for someone who's never played to remember. Besides, figuring out what's good and if you can make poo poo like a Knight/Black Mage work is half the fun of the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PMush Perfect posted:

Finally bit the bullet and cut all the chaff from the Final Fantasy Tactics page. It was all good tips, but way, way too much for someone who's never played to remember. Besides, figuring out what's good and if you can make poo poo like a Knight/Black Mage work is half the fun of the game.

imo add information about how auto-potion works and chooses which item to use, i've played fft like three times and i still can't recall off the top of my head. it's a powerful skill that can pave over almost any gently caress-up you make over points of no return (except riovaes rooftop but dat's pussy trap, bitch). i feel like i remember having to sell all my potions and hi-potions to force it to use x-potions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

imo add information about how auto-potion works and chooses which item to use, i've played fft like three times and i still can't recall off the top of my head. i feel like i remember having to sell all my potions and hi-potions to force it to use x-potions.
Okay, yeah, I'll add an items tip.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The game straight-up shows who your party members are in the opening movie, it's not a big secret.

What gets you Break Souls is just stunning, killing, or inflicting ailments (which gets easier as you get more Ventite from bossess, Code Red Demons, and a few story moments). You can also get them from carefully-timed side-stepping out of being attacked, but those fly off into the fight arena for you to retrieve. If you have three or more Souls stored, using Consuming Claw (R2) is well worth doing as it buffs your stats and makes it even easier to get Souls if you play your cards right. And can be sustained for a fair while if you don't complete a four-move combo. At the very least, you'll probably net at least one soul and can Thereonize something again the moment the current run ends.

A good basic combo to stick on a button is alternating between the forward and reverse spinning kicks. They're basic martial Artes without an element, and a lot of enemies are weak to that. Plus both moves use very little Soul Gauge.
Yeah, as I said, Velvet is one I mostly figured out. Not sure how to use Ventites, though; I was under the impression it is a socketing thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, as I said, Velvet is one I mostly figured out. Not sure how to use Ventites, though; I was under the impression it is a socketing thing.

They're completely passive, you just let them accumulate.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've been playing The Flame in the Flood this week, here are some tips for the wiki:

- When it’s raining you can use empty jars and they’ll be filled with clean water. Don’t forget to top off your thirst meter while you are doing this.
- Instantly eat stuff like Mulberries, Wild Garlic and Dandelions (unless you are near a camp fire and are creating Dandelion Tea). Cat Tails are usually found in mass quantities, use them for crafting first and then eat what you didn't turn into Braided Cords. Crafted food like Jerky, Cooked Yucca and Ash Cakes should be saved for as long as possible, because they don’t spoil.
- If you die and start a new game, you will keep the contents of the dog’s backpack. So keep items in there that you want to preserve OR that are useful for a new character. To give a few examples: Sumac Tea gives you medicine and jars. A set of Box Traps will lead to Rabbit Hides, which you can turn into clothing or Pouches (= more inventory slots). And you always have a use for Saplings, Nuts & Bolts and Old Lumber.
- Even after you’ve maxed out your inventory space, you can still create another Pouch. This is a waste of materials, unless you want your dog to hold onto a Pouch for a new game.
- When sailing around you will sometimes see a shopping cart or a stack of tires. Getting close to them and right-clicking will give you an item. It’s not worthwhile to damage your raft for it tho.
- Traps can be picked up again after you’ve deployed them, but they will lose some durability. This mainly matters for the Box Trap, because unlike other traps it can be used two times. So deploy it on a rabbit burrow and wander around for a bit.
- Upon entering an area you might suddenly get the Boar King quest. It can ONLY be harmed with arrows and you don’t get a special reward for killing it (just more meat and hides than you get for a normal boar). Feel free to avoid it.
- The easiest way to deal with bears is to place 3x Spear Traps near its lair and then fire a single Arrow to lure it out. Be sure to stand behind the traps as it comes charging at you.
- If you are playing the campaign, there will be a point where your raft crashes on a beach. A workbench will be nearby, and it might be a while before you see another workbench! If you've got a Steel Knife with low durability (25% or less), save the resources for new one, craft what you need at the workbench and finally create that new Steel Knife before you sail away again.
- The game seems to auto-save when you: dock your raft, leave a camp fire after using it, leave a shelter after sleeping in it OR leave an area on your raft. If you mess up badly you can exit to the main menu and then continue to load the last time it saved. Very useful if the raft gets stuck and loses more than half its health bumping into terrain.

Raft upgrades:
-Rudder: Will make the raft controls more responsive. Get this first, because it will lead to less bumping and sharper turns will allow you to visit more areas.
-Raft Storage: More storage for your raft, which is always useful.
-Raft Shelter: A shelter you can use without having to deal with the wolves at night. Also allows you wait out the rain. Surprisingly useful.
-Sturdy Frame: Take less damage if the raft bumps into something. Somewhat useful if you still struggle after getting the Rudder upgrade, otherwise you can skip it.
-Stove: Essentially gives you a camp fire on your raft. Allows you to craft everything that doesn’t require a workbench in the safety of a dock, even in the rain.
-Raft Motor: Allows for more control during rapids and will speed things up when the river is barely moving. Uses Oil, found at Marinas. Not needed during the campaign.
-Water Purifier: A source for clean water that slowly fills up before it can be used. You probably have dozens of jars by the time you would get this. Skippable.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 22, 2018

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm playing xcom enemy unknown for the first time and I'm constantly short on money, even when using the gray market. My mission is to build a hyperwave relay. Can I fart around at mission control and grind out some more money before I build the relay? I don't know if that's sustainable to do, or if I'll lose to attrition with the council panic levels.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm playing xcom enemy unknown for the first time and I'm constantly short on money, even when using the gray market. My mission is to build a hyperwave relay. Can I fart around at mission control and grind out some more money before I build the relay? I don't know if that's sustainable to do, or if I'll lose to attrition with the council panic levels.

Have you been putting satellites over countries? They prevent abductions from occurring in addition to increasing your monthly funding, so that should be one of your top priorities at all times. Otherwise the other major time limit you have to worry about is the enemy deployments getting scaled up, possibly beyond what you can handle with your current gear.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah, I've finally started pumping out satellites but it's a slow process. What causes enemy deployments to scale up? Is it caused by a certain amount of time passing, or does it happen when I advance the story? I'd like to just not make this hyperwave thing until I have some more upgrades and satellites, but I'm afraid I'd be screwing myself by putting it off.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A lot of money does come from selling alien corpses and such, so you may want to rush it just so you can hit those juicy targets.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

anilEhilated posted:

So Eizen is character that initially needs a few levels to learn artes before he get full access to his gameplan. Those artes are Rock Lance and Eleventh Hour; both artes have knockdowns attached to them, So the idea with Eizen is to end combos with either of those artes so that you can use his really good Break Soul and continue your combo.

Rokurou's Break Soul is pretty simple. After using it you'll have a brief period where you will nullify attacks made against you and counter. You can still use it mid-combo to extend your combo and is pretty good for that reason because it also increases the stun rate and gives guard piercing on his next attack.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah, I've finally started pumping out satellites but it's a slow process. What causes enemy deployments to scale up? Is it caused by a certain amount of time passing, or does it happen when I advance the story? I'd like to just not make this hyperwave thing until I have some more upgrades and satellites, but I'm afraid I'd be screwing myself by putting it off.

im p sure alien "tech levels" increase as time passes ingame so dont lolligag too much

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Really until you have satellites over everywhere, the goal of the game is to get satellites over everywhere. If you're making progress at that steadily and aren't getting your rear end kicked scooping up the downed ufos, you're officially doing it right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PMush Perfect posted:

A lot of money does come from selling alien corpses and such, so you may want to rush it just so you can hit those juicy targets.

Don't sell the genric grunts though. You need them for researching plate armor, and they're surprisingly rare depending on how quickly the invasion escalates.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks guys, guess I'll focus all my money on satellites now while the aliens are still relatively easy to handle...

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I recently acquired Vampire the Masquerade. It installed fine but it's telling me I have less than 15mb of memory (which I read online is something about having more memory than was common back in the day) so what patch(es) do I need to get it up and playable. I've never played anything WoD before besides the Hunter the Reckoning games so I'm not looking to change/fix anything yet just get it up and running.

edit: Is there anyway to increase the font size in Viscera Cleanup Detail? I forgot how small everything on that table you have is.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 23, 2018

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

juliuspringle posted:

I recently acquired Vampire the Masquerade. It installed fine but it's telling me I have less than 15mb of memory (which I read online is something about having more memory than was common back in the day) so what patch(es) do I need to get it up and playable. I've never played anything WoD before besides the Hunter the Reckoning games so I'm not looking to change/fix anything yet just get it up and running.

edit: Is there anyway to increase the font size in Viscera Cleanup Detail? I forgot how small everything on that table you have is.

The unofficial patch is all you need. Make sure to uncheck the plus patch when installing for your first playthrough

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

juliuspringle posted:

It's a little boring to give you practically the same answer twice in a row, but according to the PC gaming wiki the rather critical unofficial patch linked there fixes that issue amongst others. The GOG version apparently comes with it by default.

E: Beaten!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
For clarification, are you talking about the original VtM: Redemption game or are you talking about VtM: Bloodlines? Because that'll probably need a very different solution to the problem, seeing as it's much older.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cardiovorax posted:

For clarification, are you talking about the original VtM: Redemption game or are you talking about VtM: Bloodlines? Because that'll probably need a very different solution to the problem, seeing as it's much older.

The "less that 15mb memory available" bug is specifically a known Bloodlines issue so I highly doubt it's about Redemption.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Bloodlines. I keep forgetting there are two. Thanks for the help guys.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanfy posted:

The "less that 15mb memory available" bug is specifically a known Bloodlines issue so I highly doubt it's about Redemption.
A 15mb error sounded like something from about that era, from what I remember of when I played Redemption, so I figured it would be better to make sure.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is there anything worth knowing about Caves of Qud that's not on the wiki? I dunno if any of the info on there is out of date, since the game gets frequent updates and changes

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is there anything worth knowing about Caves of Qud that's not on the wiki? I dunno if any of the info on there is out of date, since the game gets frequent updates and changes

Angry Diplomat posted:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.
Otherwise, stick your head over into the thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739217 Most of the advice seems decent since I last played (which was a while, to be fair).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theshim posted:

Otherwise, stick your head over into the thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739217 Most of the advice seems decent since I last played (which was a while, to be fair).

I can never get enough of the phrase "TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY." :allears:.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Not having an achievement list that read exactly like that is literally the worst decision Unormal&Co could make. :colbert:

I know about the bear one

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'm going to buy Caves of Qud.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

BrightWing posted:

I'm going to buy Caves of Qud.

Goons have recommended me some awesome games over the years, I have a feeling this may be another.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
caves of qud is gamma world reimagined by a poet and packaged as a roguelike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
The fact that true multiplayer is coming to No Man's Sky in July has made me want to pick up the game again, after not having played it much since the first few months of release. I understand a number of updates have happened since launch, and I figured I would just start a new game, as I don't remember what kind of progress I made in my first save. Anyone have any advice for starting out now, in the game as it has currently been updated?