Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I liked gow because it told a complete story by itself and any plot holes and the like can be explained by blame the Edda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nier was a complete shitshow on a technical level but literally every other aspect of it is better than gow18, imo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Last of Us was better, I already had my spiel about it in the 'PYF things dragging this game down' thread, but the "Bad person becomes father figure" thing works infinitely better when your character's bad actions aren't irredeemable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
God of War is actually fun to play unlike Last of Us. Though I really am sick of the over shoulder 3rd person view. It's bad in shooters and it's even worse in brawlers where you need situational awareness. It's what put me off Senua's Sacrifice even if that game is quite good for what it is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I always see people say it but I dunno what's wrong with TLOU's gameplay, I always thought it was really well done third-person shooting. :shrug:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yardbomb posted:

I always see people say it but I dunno what's wrong with TLOU's gameplay, I always thought it was really well done third-person shooting. :shrug:

Same. I didn't own a ps3 for a long time so only played it when at a friend's place but I really enjoyed it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

Making controls intentionally sluggish as a means of reinforcing helplessness or danger is not what I consider good game design. If a game wants combat to feel stressful, it should be because of dangerous enemy AI or a threatening environment, not stress brought on by fighting with the control scheme.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm looking forward to one day getting single parent/parent-analogue stories like these where the parent isn't a grizzled old dude tbh

Has there ever been a single mom main character in gaming?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm looking forward to one day getting single parent/parent-analogue stories like these where the parent isn't a grizzled old dude tbh

Samus in Other M :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Bayonetta came closest, but that relationship had some real weird wrinkles. She was basically acting as her own adoptive mother, because time travel.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Libluini posted:

Even thinking of God of War bores me to tears, so I highly doubt that

:same:

It's the same as with The Last of Us for me, where it just looks dreary and boring. I'm getting tired of seeing everyone talk about it.

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't know about single moms (I'm sure there's something, I just can't think of it off the top of my head), but as for non-grizzled old dude single/widowed dads, there's Harry Mason from the first Silent Hill game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nuebot posted:

Just wait until Bloodborne 2, where you play as the hunter twenty years after and you have to adopt a baby moon being and teach it how to grow up in the cold, heartless world of blood monsters.

You say that as if we wouldn't all play it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Insurrectionist posted:

Fallout 4 if you play as a woman?

Jade in Beyond Good and Evil is an adoptive mother of a whole brood.

That's sadly the only two I can think of.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Insurrectionist posted:

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil maybe?

I'm with you though. More kick rear end moms! The fact that these dad games are transparently the power fantasies of the 40 something white dudes making them kills all interest for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's kind of sad that you have to go back to a game from 2003 to dig up a motherly female character. They really have not made much progress. Obviously there are games out there that fit the mould but the fact that you need to dig for them says something about their scarcity.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Arcsquad12 posted:

God of War is actually fun to play unlike Last of Us. Though I really am sick of the over shoulder 3rd person view. It's bad in shooters and it's even worse in brawlers where you need situational awareness. It's what put me off Senua's Sacrifice even if that game is quite good for what it is.

god of war and all other games like it are aggressively unfun. i have never even remotely understood why people like that combat even a little bit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

god of war and all other games like it are aggressively unfun. i have never even remotely understood why people like that combat even a little bit.

Character action games are great, Revengeance, God Hand, DMC, all them.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Nier's plot wasn't very good and idk what people really see in it. It bored me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Not really. Bloodborne is great but doesn't have as wide appeal.

that's true but shouldn't be part of rating a game. they don't knock points off movies if they don't have mass appeal if the movie's a masterpiece.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

God of War and Nier are both great!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

The fixed camera God of War games are very fun, but aside from the first game saying "this bastard deserves everything that's coming to him", there's little to say about the plot. But the actual hack'n'slash brawling in the old games is great.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yardbomb posted:

Character action games are great, Revengeance, God Hand, DMC, all them.

God of War and the clones that sprung up afterwards are incredibly shallow games though.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Insurrectionist posted:

There's an upcoming game whose title escapes me where you play as a mother who, and I'm not sure I have these details right, gives her baby son up to be used in a ritual sacrifice. The game's story is her journey to get him back. I think. I wish I could remember the title.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I've been playing through God of War 3. You can easily find it used for $3 or $4 now. They're the type of games I like to think of as simple pleasure games. They're pretty simple and button mashy, but they make for a fun distraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMXjDLGHGJo&t=0s

Quinton has added to the ever growing numbers of Ready Player One book reviews. I've only recently subscribed to his channel and I suggest others check it out as well.

Ready Player One does miss out on a lot of potential satire about nostalgia and nerd culture, but the biggest missed opportunity for satire in my mind has to be the part where in the real world, the main character buys a gun via a vending machine.

Also, when he mentioned how nerd culture places such an emphasis on encyclopedic knowledge, my mind immediately went to superhero comics. It's part of the reason why I don't really bother with the main two publishers anymore. That mentality is just so pervasive that whenever I read one of them there's a part of me that just feels like I'm doing homework. Though it also might be that a lot of superhero comics just aren't very good.

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 20, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ain't seen nothing God of War coulda done for me a few quarters in a Final Fight machine done better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Insurrectionist posted:

Heather Mason :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Testekill posted:

God of War and the clones that sprung up afterwards are incredibly shallow games though.

Yeah, God of War is an incredibly shallow and basic series, and comparing it to a proper character action game like DMC is horribly overselling what it offers.

Also, honestly, Nier and Automata are probably two of the actual best games ever made, and it would've been great to see either one get even half of the press GoW18 did. But they're just too crazy and japanese, and god knows we can't have that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, Automata did genuinely get a lot of play and accolades compared the original's most memorable coverage being the guy who couldn't follow quest markers.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, God of War is an incredibly shallow and basic series, and comparing it to a proper character action game like DMC is horribly overselling what it offers.

Also, honestly, Nier and Automata are probably two of the actual best games ever made, and it would've been great to see either one get even half of the press GoW18 did. But they're just too crazy and japanese, and god knows we can't have that.

So how much time did you spend looking up 2B's skirt?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nier Automata has sold obscenely well and gotten quite a lot of press. It single-handedly saved Platinum from going under.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nier Automata has sold obscenely well and gotten quite a lot of press. It single-handedly saved Platinum from going under.

And yet it still didn't get anywhere close to the accolades of GoW18.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It was a big company's smaller budget game versus another big company's system seller for the year. It's cynical to say, but game penetration comes down to marketing dollars and few if any gaming sites punch above the level of those that are currently posting dozens of Infinity War clickbait links because that's where the clicks are.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Look at all these bad Dad of Boy opinions in this thread. Disgraceful. :colbert:

Edit: Before any of you get up my rear end, I'm not saying it's a perfect game. I just think it's not as bad as you're all making it out to be.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

VolticSurge posted:

Look at all these bad Dad of Boy opinions in this thread. Disgraceful. :colbert:

Edit: Before any of you get up my rear end, I'm not saying it's a perfect game. I just think it's not as bad as you're all making it out to be.

Thing was slightly flawed, ergo, it's a piece of trash travesty garbage lovely poo poo poo poo poo poo.

Or "I didn't care for it, so it was therefore objectively bad."

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Insurrectionist posted:

There's Amy, a downloadable 360 game from I want to say 2012? Where you literally hold a young girl's hand as you walk her through a zombie apocalypse.

I'm sure if you delve into indie games you'll find way more female protagonists than AAA games, but I honestly don't know what percentage of them would be moms.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
GoW was basically oscar bait: the video game. I thought everyone saw through that though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wanna say the Shelter games were explicitly made to try and counterbalance the lack of mom games.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A new Thunder Cats cartoon was announced and

THUNDERCATS ROAR- The Societal Dangers Of Toxic ANTI-Masculinity

Thundercats Roar - Cartoons for a Cucked up Generation

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The show does actually look pretty awful, it's a hodgepodge of every current show's art in a way that's super ugly and it's obvious CN is just trying to make TTGO 2.0 with it, so of course none of that's actually why they're complaining, just more chuds desperate to have something to screech about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

The show does actually look pretty awful, it's a hodgepodge of every current show's art in a way that's super ugly and it's obvious CN is just trying to make TTGO 2.0 with it, so of course none of that's actually why they're complaining, just more chuds desperate to have something to screech about.

Yeah, I haven't really seen anyone that I follow complaining about it being un-masculine or anything along those lines. It's pretty much the complaint that it's the same kind of overly-bright, bean-face style (in regards to the fact that the head and mouth is shaped like a bean) from other shows like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and that other show that I don't know the name of:
https://twitter.com/FourEcchiTasty/status/997561648792686592

It's inspired some satire:
https://twitter.com/AnotherJoystick/status/997997541378666496 https://twitter.com/maniadrone/status/997943207051874305

There's also, uh, this:
https://twitter.com/NicoColaleo/status/997544040491974656
https://twitter.com/NicoColaleo/status/997646607595143168
https://twitter.com/LisaNani25/status/997753930116354048

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 20, 2018