Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

inthesto posted:

As much as Ben and Edan mocked his speaking style, Dave is still definitely the best narrating DM out of all the actual play podcasts I listen to

Yeah it cuts both ways, he speaks/narrates with a particular inflection and rhythm that makes it easy to parody but its also super entertaining in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Roach Warehouse posted:

Yeah it cuts both ways, he speaks/narrates with a particular inflection and rhythm that makes it easy to parody but its also super entertaining in its own right.

One thing I noticed, that they picked up on and mocked, was that he really does fixate on using specific words a lot from season to season. I started laughing at it too. Like ostentatious. Then one day I found myself just saying it in casual conversation and laughed my rear end off at myself while everyone looked at me weird because I don't think any of my friends even know what ostentatious even means.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The stand up segment in 4.06 is a terrible vengeance from Dave holy poo poo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LentThem posted:

I'm only up to episode 26 in that podcast but man there are already some amazing bits of backstory for these guys.

Hing: "When I was a child, one time my mother punished me by locking me in a chicken coop for 3 hours. Since then I've never been scared of birds...except maybe American Eagles."

On this note, just listened to episode 73 where Hing explains that his mom didn't allow him to drink from water fountains because she was an insane germophobe, caught him drinking from a fountain at school, and made him drink a whole liter of milk as punishment.

Ben: "The more I learn about your childhood, the less explicable your character becomes."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

inthesto posted:

Dave's greatest skill as a DM is knowing exactly when to take his hands off the wheel and let the players make unforced error after unforced error
Is having a completely separate person play the NPCs something that pops up in D&D much? Dragon Friends is the first time I've ever run into it (I've pretty much only heard TAZ and Harmontown/Quest, plus my own D&D experience is zero), and having the lack of full control plus Dungeon Dave's ability to adapt to that is what really drew me into the series.

Rodyle posted:

The stand up segment in 4.06 is a terrible vengeance from Dave holy poo poo.
They could have done it as a team. :negative:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Having a co-DM to play the NPCs is definitely not the norm at all. The only other podcast I've bumped into that does it is Neon Rivals Presents Tomb of Annihilation, and that's a very new one.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Having other people play NPCs is a key feature of Tenra Bansho Zero, a very good and cool game!

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Ben and Edan and all the guests also let Dave come up with 10 times the NPCs of most podcasts without them all having a singular voice moving things forward.

And sometimes you get the Fae king and queen where they just get real horny, which a regular DM might not perform so vividly.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, having someone else play the NPCs is great but even better is having two people who bounce off each other and cut down on the number of times one person has to awkwardly converse with themself.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/999520423128645632?s=19

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

This makes me very nervous. Every NPC is just going to be a homicidal maniac from the get go.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
So this is how Dragon Friends ends.

lol at "A Very Canonical Episode"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

not being australian it upsets me that I will not get to see this until the end of the season

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I feel like the Hing DM sessions needs its own bingo cards with squares like "Hing forgets the premise of his own adventure", "Freezo is portrayed as the victim despite clearly being at fault", and "Dave blows apart Hing's climatic fight due to actually knowing the rules"

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
The No Difficult Questions Episode

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I just started listening to this - this is the sort of funny thing I need right now to get through some really stressful stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish I could get Ben and Edan to come over and play the npcs in my games

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1001107980048392197

What monkey's paw do I need to wish on to get Justin McElroy to guest on Dragon Friends

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Ask Ben, I guess? He's the McElroy fan.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve started watching the ToA streams and there’s something that just feels slightly meaner about the players tormenting Dave when there isn’t an audience to laugh at it. Also you have to look at him as he suffers, which makes it more personal. But I’ll get used to it.

And I’m only on episode 2, but they seem to have fallen back toward season one levels of knowing how to use microphones to create a consistently pleasing audio experience. Hopefully that gets better

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
They start getting a bit more of an audience as the thing goes on, so that sort of helps, but Dave being visibly crushed by 3-5 idiots at any given time is still something you'll have to deal with.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpacePig posted:

They start getting a bit more of an audience as the thing goes on, so that sort of helps, but Dave being visibly crushed by 3-5 idiots at any given time is still something you'll have to deal with.

I mean, I knew what I was getting into, I’ll live.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

When you all were saying there was a S3 payoff for Hing doing whatever he wanted, did you mean when Freezo loses his ties to magic and then has to kill Hing at the end? Just finished and Jesus christ, lol

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Pastrymancy posted:

When you all were saying there was a S3 payoff for Hing doing whatever he wanted, did you mean when Freezo loses his ties to magic and then has to kill Hing at the end? Just finished and Jesus christ, lol

Do you maybe mean famously depraved and gross serial killer Michael Hing?

Yeah, it's absolutely amazing. Not that it's really changed much so far, but it's still very funny.

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni

SpacePig posted:

Do you maybe mean famously depraved and gross serial killer Michael Hing?

Sap Toad

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Season 3 end spoilers: Has Dave ever said why he took magic away from the party in Freeside? It was deservedly vindictive but also didn't have a real payoff.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Psychepath posted:

Season 3 end spoilers: Has Dave ever said why he took magic away from the party in Freeside? It was deservedly vindictive but also didn't have a real payoff.

I'm 99% sure it was just to gently caress over Hing

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

I have to say that given the style of NPCs/bad guys Ben Jenkins plays as it's uncanny what Griffin McElroy used for his namesake in TAZ

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Griffin uses the names of fans from Twitter

e: wow, I really misread your post if I thought this was news.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 2, 2018

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Psychepath posted:

I think it's just a setting thing. In Shadowrun, magic doesn't work in space in general.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Up to episode 2 of ToA, and every second of that talent show was incredible. Alex Lee slowly panicking as she realized she pimped herself into doing a half-orc rap musical was delightful.

Also, I'm enjoying having faces to put to the voices, but I'm getting very distracted trying to guess how old Benny Davis is. He's either a very stern 25 or a very gracefully-aged 50, I cannot tell.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 2, 2018

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also, I'm enjoying having faces to put to the voices, but I'm getting very distracted trying to guess how old Benny Davis is. He's either a very stern 25 or a very gracefully-aged 50, I cannot tell.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It's also fun that Edan Lacey looks exactly like I imagined him.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

Edan has the best laugh in the cast

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pastrymancy posted:

Edan has the best laugh in the cast

And someone on the stream said he looked like Pablo Escobar and now I can't unsee it

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Edan Lacey is the best thing Australia has ever accomplished, I feel.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
bigsofttitty.png owns

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The crowd went nuts for Freezo's crit in the latest episode, in a way I was unprepared for and delighted by.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Continuing my journey through tomb of annihilation; I absolutely loved Edan and the frog king doing drugs in the hot tub ("Yes! You get me! I'm SO glad I met you!")

It's criminal that this podcast isn't more popular than it is (I don't actually know how popular it is but whatever it is, it should be more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
They pull in a bit over 1k a month on Patreon, so there's obviously a sizeable fanbase there, but nothing even approaching heavyweight status. I really want more people to discover the podcast, because at 3k a month, they'll start doing weekly releases.