Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mr Underhill posted:

...And the inevitable Cuphead-like. Complete with almost-copyright infringing title.

Looks like poo poo, team has zero programmers (one "technical director" though so that's totes all right!), one artist and one animator. Asking for $50 000 which isn't even going to pay their salaries, let alone let them outsource the massive amounts of work they need to get from outside.

Cuphead was a labor of love from guys who eat and breathe old animation and understood perfectly how the aesthetic worked and how it would work in a game. These are just some fuckwits who aped the style, cut off the colours and slapped on an old tyme film scratch filter (or even more likelier, a scratch animation looping on top of the game layer) and legged it to Kickstarter to ride that sweet sweet wave.

gently caress these assholes and their dumb ripoff game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Does wizard of legend have its own thread

:justpost:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Please post about Wizard of Legend because I really want to play that game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Just remember, you can't fall in a pit. You can only get knocked in or dash in.

Oh dang, I did not realize that, that's actually really helpful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Quick, tell me of the video game kickstarters that did not get significantly delayed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pureauthor posted:

Quick, tell me of the video game kickstarters that did not get significantly delayed

Shadowrun Hong Kong, I think?

and the Subahibi visual novel KS, but that's because they'd already translated/ported the game, the KS was just for extra funds and physical goodies.

So that's... one and a half games out of the 10+ I've backed. God bless gamedevs and their sense of scale.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

S.J. posted:

Played a little bit last night, playing with a GTX 980, 32 gig of ram and the game installed on an M.2 SSD, I would get 3-10 second hangs while enemies spawned in. Borderline unplayable at the moment for me.

edit: quick perusal of their twitter indicates they know about this and a patch is forthcoming. Will wait until then to pass judgement.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

Shadowrun Hong Kong, I think?

Was Hong Kong kickstarted? I guess I figured all of the SR games after Returns were made out of pocket.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Dragonfall was a stretch goal on the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter, and then Hong Kong was a separate Kickstarter afterwords.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

S.J. posted:

It's all I've been playing the last two days. Hands down the best action roguelite this side of Risk of Rain. I've just been experimenting with builds (there is an rear end-ton of content, over 100 spells I believe) so I haven't been pushing for wins but I'm pretty good at action games and I haven't had a complete run yet. It's tough, fun, and has a ton of progression. I love it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AbstractNapper posted:

In more exciting news, it seems that La-Mulana 2 is getting a summer release this year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2/posts/2184694
I can't wait to be terrible at it! :D

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Stoneshard is a modern take on the classic turn-based roguelike, a bit like Dungeons of Dredmor that's more Darkest Dungeons-flavored. It's by the devs of 12 is better than 6 which was also crowdfunded and came out to be a fairly decent budget Hotline Miami-like. They're also my fellow Russkies and they probably need the cash, so pls bck ktnx.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pureauthor posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 only had a one-month delay, though that was a Fig project.

Also, if it's anything like the first game, it'll take about a year before they manage to iron out all the bugs and fully balance combat.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

did ftl get delayed?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Samuel Clemens posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 only had a one-month delay, though that was a Fig project.

Also, if it's anything like the first game, it'll take about a year before they manage to iron out all the bugs and fully balance combat.

Given how buggy it is now. This seems right.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Dear HBS, please make another kickstarter for something. I don't give a poo poo what, just please take more of my money.

On the waypoint podcast, Austin suggested that they make another Shadowrun game but with Battletech's procedural mission structure. I actually went "gently caress YEAH" at the thought.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was super excited for Deadfire until about two weeks before launch when I realised I might as well wait for the DLC to finish coming out and the inevitable 12 months of patches redesigning every class from the ground up before I played the thing.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 17, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, I've learned long ago that you should never play a big RPG on its release date.

Though in Obsidian's defence, at least they actually bother to patch the most glaring flaws.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Pillars 3.x is much better than Pillars 1.0 was design-wise so I'm glad Obsidian kept fixing it, it's just that I did my 60 or whatever hour playthrough at launch and then could never find the time or energy to replay the game to play the DLC I'd bought or to see the mechanics changes.

This time, I'll just wait until all the DLC is out (which gives me an excuse to finish replaying Pillars) and they're done with major balance/design changes and play it through in one go. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 17, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

All of the DLC for Pillars of Eternity is already out, right? I'm planning on replaying it as well.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Phlegmish posted:

All of the DLC for Pillars of Eternity is already out, right? I'm planning on replaying it as well.

I'd certainly hope so now that the sequel is out :v:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Also how is the PoE dlc? Worth buying? I want to replay it as well before I start on PoE2.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If you enjoy the main game, there is no reason not to grab the DLC since it's the same thing but better. Stronger writing, more interesting combat encounters, and a welcome change of scenery.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

I'd certainly hope so now that the sequel is out :v:

I misread his post

Does the DLC change the level cap? One of the things I disliked about PoE was hitting the level cap barely halfway through the game

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I misread his post

Does the DLC change the level cap? One of the things I disliked about PoE was hitting the level cap barely halfway through the game

Yes, each of the White Match DLCs ups the level cap by 2 (so if you have both WM1&2 your level cap will be 16).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Tagichatn posted:

Also how is the PoE dlc? Worth buying? I want to replay it as well before I start on PoE2.
Everything in The White March is better than the base game. So if you thought the base game was good to ok you should get the DLC.

Only flaw is that unless you enable level scaling you'll blast through the endgame being completely outleveled (you get an option to enable level scaling at a few points in the game).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you've ever been curious about loving around with game development, Ben Tristem/GameDev.tv who did a bunch of pretty good Unity/Unreal courses on Udemy are now Kickstarting a Discovering Godot course. They're pretty good and reliable and the price is decent, so if you're interested in Godot I'd recommend backing. And, ofc, if you ever wanted to, like, buy all of their courses at once but never got round to it, the one tier with all their courses is a pretty good deal bang-for-buck.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
An update on Bard's Tale 4 and bit of a Q&A - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2188974

Krome Studios are now doing the remaster of the original trilogy, I seem to recall there being a debacle about the previous studio working on it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This doesn't strictly belong here, but it's pretty neat: Paradox is making board games of Crusader King and others, and using kickstarter to fund 'em.

e: And Here's the link to the first kickstarter.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kirbysuperstar posted:

Krome Studios are now doing the remaster of the original trilogy, I seem to recall there being a debacle about the previous studio working on it.

Oh nice, good to see things continuing to look up for them.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Unsung story's updates are so good now that even if the game isn't great I think I'll be pretty satisfied with my original pledge

I haven't seen any other devs come anywhere close to the level of transparency and depth of updates as little orbit has been doing. The latest update was a detailed look at their current iterations on their interface/UI design and as someone fairly interested in game design I found it fascinating

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Unsung story's updates are so good now that even if the game isn't great I think I'll be pretty satisfied with my original pledge

I haven't seen any other devs come anywhere close to the level of transparency and depth of updates as little orbit has been doing. The latest update was a detailed look at their current iterations on their interface/UI design and as someone fairly interested in game design I found it fascinating

The thing I find the craziest about this is that they apparently intend to fulfill the physical rewards. I don't think anyone reasonable would have blamed them for just dropping those entirely.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I know it's not a Kickstarter but it's pretty relevant to most of this thread. I just backed this book project on Unbound. Full disclosure: I am an insane map nerd so maybe I'm the only one who is interested in this.

Virtual Cities.

quote:

Virtual Cities: An Atlas & Exploration of Video Game Cities is an ambitious and richly illustrated atlas that is the first detailed attempt to document the deep and exciting history of game cities via a combination of original maps, ink drawings, and insightful commentary and analysis.

Virtual Cities will be a beautiful book meant for lovers of cartography and imaginary worlds, artists, game designers, world builders, and, above all, everyone who plays and cares for video games.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

AttackBacon posted:

It's all I've been playing the last two days. Hands down the best action roguelite this side of Risk of Rain. I've just been experimenting with builds (there is an rear end-ton of content, over 100 spells I believe) so I haven't been pushing for wins but I'm pretty good at action games and I haven't had a complete run yet. It's tough, fun, and has a ton of progression. I love it.

Yeah, agreed--I'm really pleased with how fun it is. The spells have good variety and mostly handle well. It's hard, but the constant new churn of spells and combos keeps it feeling fresh and interesting. I actually had pretty low hopes for it, but it's very solid.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Megazver posted:

Fig's new game is Xenosis: Alien Infection and it's a top-down single-player survival sim about surviving on a huge creepy abandoned spaceship. It looks alright, if you enjoy the genre.

This looks a ton like Teleglitch. Almost the same font choices, even.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Memento posted:

I know it's not a Kickstarter but it's pretty relevant to most of this thread. I just backed this book project on Unbound. Full disclosure: I am an insane map nerd so maybe I'm the only one who is interested in this.

Virtual Cities.

Backed and can't wait. Konstantinos is a great guy, and from what snippets he's been posting this is shaping up to be as entertaining as it will be useful. Bit of a warning: their sign-up poo poo is wrecked, so you'll have to authenticate with social media if you want this. I know, I know...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, agreed--I'm really pleased with how fun it is. The spells have good variety and mostly handle well. It's hard, but the constant new churn of spells and combos keeps it feeling fresh and interesting. I actually had pretty low hopes for it, but it's very solid.

I went ahead and picked it up and yeah, Wizard of Legend is pretty great so far. Haven't had a successful run yet but I'm learning a lot and the various spell combinations get really, really fun, and I've learned how to beat 2 of the three bosses.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 20, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just don't get Wizard of Legend on consoles, especially Switch. The console ports are really badly optimised, the Switch one noticeably chugs compared to PC and has random freezes as well.

And play it with a mouse and keyboard, otherwise you can't aim spells independent of your movement direction.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lemon-Lime posted:

Just don't get Wizard of Legend on consoles, especially Switch. The console ports are really badly optimised, the Switch one noticeably chugs compared to PC and has random freezes as well.

And play it with a mouse and keyboard, otherwise you can't aim spells independent of your movement direction.

They patched the WoL Switch version already, maybe it fixes some of the performance issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Underhill posted:

...And the inevitable Cuphead-like. Complete with almost-copyright infringing title.

Not only is it copying cuphead's style, the name is loving steamboat wbillie, which is a blatant knockoff of one of the things that cuphead was aping in a less direct manner.

Uggggh.