Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We watched The Skydivers last night and as soon as I saw Coleman Francis in the credits i was like... oh... oh no... this is not good. I've never seen this one before but I remember Red Zone Cuba; a friend of mine just loves that one and I've probably seen it at least 3-4 times.

While the movie was really, really bad and utterly pointless, it wasn't a terrible experience with the riffing - in fact, better than some I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I still contend with Red Zone Cuba that Francis came up with the last line "Griffin ran all the way to hell... with a penny, and a broken cigarette" first, then worked his way backwards to get to that point. It just stinks of "Isn't this line so incredibly deep?"

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Flag on the moon. How did it get there?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
They don’t call John Carradine “the Voice” for nothing

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

While the movie was really, really bad and utterly pointless

it had two points

coleman francis got to play with light aircraft

and he got to film that gigantic blonde woman at the tarmac dance

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A man comes to town, impacts no one, and leaves.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Sanzuo posted:

I Accuse My Parents has to be at least a top 10 episode for me. God this is just fuckin funny the whole way through.

I really like that one too and someone said they didn't like it a while ago and I was trying to think of some good quotes to defend it. It's a great episode but I think it's hard to make a lot of the riffs funny without the context. Like the Edward G Robinson style gangster impressions, the duck noises when people go in and out of the apartment, the constant stupidity of Jimmy... and the goofy hat singer. "Showed us the kiss way to the promised land" ;-*

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

boner confessor posted:

i'm glad that mary jo, kevin, and bill are so game to be guest stars (probably easier to schedule than mark hamill) and iirc the main reason mike didn't come is because he's busy with his own thing now?

Paul was also in the last episode as his Observer character. And some of the music was done by Charlie Erickson, writer of the original theme music.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Dixville posted:

Flag on the moon. How did it get there?

:geno: "Pictures of the moon."
:v: "Nude."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I Accuse My Parents is great because of how flawed the central premise is. Nothing that happens to Jimmy is the fault of his parents. He turns to a life of crime simply because he's trying to impress a girl who seems like she would be into him anyway without his big spending.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
All of the 'bad teens' films are amongst my faves -- High School Big Shot and Teenaged Crimewave also being highlights.

Crimewave especially interests me, because the actress playing Terry (whom no one will ever touch, being dirt) is exactly the same age as my mum (likewise as Jimmy's character in Accuse is roughly my dad's age at the time the film was made) -- it's more the fashions and music that make me realise that my parents were once teens and stuff. :)

Plus my mom loved goofy films like them as a kid herself, and probably saw a number of the older MST3K ones in the cinema originally!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

muscles like this! posted:

I Accuse My Parents is great because of how flawed the central premise is. Nothing that happens to Jimmy is the fault of his parents. He turns to a life of crime simply because he's trying to impress a girl who seems like she would be into him anyway without his big spending.

It's not that he even knowingly turned to crime, but rather that he was such a gullible simpleton that he thought nothing was wrong with delivering packages for Gangster McCriminal at three in the morning.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:geno: "Pictures of the moon."
:v: "Nude."

"Come up here where it's really obscene!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's not that he even knowingly turned to crime, but rather that he was such a gullible simpleton that he thought nothing was wrong with delivering packages for Gangster McCriminal at three in the morning.

Well, he does knowingly write a bad check, which is why he gets the shady job.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DivisionPost posted:

Well, the thing is...there’s already a baseline. Here’s an interesting host segment from Future War that Mike presided over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADiNgr0C5d4

“Nonono, [2.7 times a lady isn’t] bad! Sure, Wynona is 3.3 times a lady, but Nina Totenberg is only two and a half! And Melissa Etheridge is—ooh, well, pretty low, heh-heh.

:colbert: Funny that you pick that out, and not Mike's hurtful mockery of facial deformities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherubism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbPV1hMCHI

But I guess you think it's okay to laugh at people for their medical problems, you insensitive cow!

Yes, this is a joke post if you couldn't tell

EDIT: Okay, to contribute something besides fake shitposting, the Coleman Francis trilogy has a weird...miasma about them that I can't look away from. They genuinely feel like movies made by manic depressives, for manic depressives.

OTOH most of the "Bad Teen" films just blur together in my head. I Accuse and Big Shot manage to bring something unique to the table, but other than that it's probably the genre of film that I can't sit through even with the riffs.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 19, 2018

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Well, he does knowingly write a bad check, which is why he gets the shady job.

Oh true, I'd forgotten that bit. Kids, let this be a lesson to you: kiting checks inevitably leads to acting as a runner for 1940s gangsters. :cop:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: Okay, to contribute something besides fake shitposting, the Coleman Francis trilogy has a weird...miasma about them that I can't look away from. They genuinely feel like movies made by manic depressives, for manic depressives.

"There was no such thing as 'clinical depression' before this film."

Also I'd argue that Coleman's films were less manic depressive and more just straight up misanthropic. I think a lot of film people (directors, writers, producers) have a general disdain for people and their overall intelligence, and Coleman Francis even more markedly so.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"There was no such thing as 'clinical depression' before this film."

Also I'd argue that Coleman's films were less manic depressive and more just straight up misanthropic. I think a lot of film people (directors, writers, producers) have a general disdain for people and their overall intelligence, and Coleman Francis even more markedly so.

I truly want to be believe Francis was a misunderstood genius and, given enough money, would have made a cinematic masterpiece.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The end bit where Crow and Server want a hamburger sandwich and french fries potato garnish is a particular favorite of mine. "Joel, you magnificent bastard, I read your menu!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love High School Big Shot because it starts with Marv writing a paper for a classmate, which results a robbery/multiple homicide and a suicide.

SirPhoebos posted:

I wish I could find the quote, but I remember one of Coleman's actors being interviewed and saying "Coleman made movies like other people cut themselves."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe that there was an interview with Tony Cardoza talking about how Coleman was a very shallow man and things happen in his movies because that's what he wants to see.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Good lord, I stay off the forums with a concussion for three days and I come back to 223 new posts in this thread.

Anyway, has anyone else seen Brandon's Cult Movie Reviews? I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned in this thread. I stumbled across it one day a while back and the next thing I knew it was 2 hours later and I had watched like 5 or 6 episodes.

It's a good partner for MST3k; he's actually reviewed a few movies that have been done on MST3k, and he gives shout-outs to them when he does. He's a fun watch, I guess is what I'm saying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I Accuse My Parents, The Beatniks, Girls Town, all of those "drat kids!" movies are among the top 20 of all MST3K eps

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Season 12 needs a '60s/'70s biker movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

I Accuse My Parents, The Beatniks, Girls Town, all of those "drat kids!" movies are among the top 20 of all MST3K eps

Girls Town is creepy as gently caress with the Paul Anka subplot. Where a girl is crushing super hard on Anka and he spends the movie stringing her along.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Edward Mass posted:

Season 12 needs a '60s/'70s biker movie.

Easy Rider 2 :getin:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Paul Anka's beefy security nuns step in.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The Velvet Hog

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

precision posted:

Easy Rider 2 :getin:

Kinga: Your movie today is Easy Rider-
Max: "Two! Easy Rider 2! Ha ha, you thought it was gonna be the classic original featuring Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper but-"
Kinga: "YES MAX, THAT WAS THE JOKE!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Good lord, I stay off the forums with a concussion for three days

Quick! Watch Beast of Yucca Flats and tell us if the movie makes any more sense with a head injury!

But seriously, best wishes to your brainmeats. Concussions suck; I got a big one a few years ago in a bike crash.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Hell, watch Easy Rider and see if that is any good, I always figured you had to drop acid to enjoy more than 10 minutes of that show

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

I truly want to be believe Francis was a misunderstood genius and, given enough money, would have made a cinematic masterpiece.

I would unironically love to read a SMG appraisal of e.g. Red Zone Cuba hailing it as art of the highest caliber.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

zeal posted:

it had two points

coleman francis got to play with light aircraft

and he got to film that gigantic blonde woman at the tarmac dance

The former is relevant to me. I showed a pilot friend Time Chasers because hey, light aircraft like she's being trained on.
She was livid by the end. Lots of angry 'airports do not work that way' ranting ensued. The lack of any headsets in the plane especially got her going. And I think a part of her soul died when the strangely prominent 'Cessna' logo showed up (in the hangar office, while they're trying to steal back the Time Transport)

So obviously I need more episodes that feature light aircraft to share :v: Aside from Skydivers, are there any other episodes that fit the bill?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If she's up on her aviation history The Starfighters might be fun.

Edit: The jet in the movie was notoriously unsafe, mainly for the reasons that they mention as pluses. Its wings were too short and thin to actually hold it up and the plane crashed like crazy.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 20, 2018

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Paingod556 posted:

So obviously I need more episodes that feature light aircraft to share :v: Aside from Skydivers, are there any other episodes that fit the bill?

San Francisco International has a kid easily stealing a light plane and then being able to fly it with radio instructions. Also, security at the airport is terrible in general, with people sneaking onto the field and someone bringing a gun into the airport and on a plane.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SirPhoebos posted:

:colbert: Funny that you pick that out, and not Mike's hurtful mockery of facial deformities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherubism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbPV1hMCHI

But I guess you think it's okay to laugh at people for their medical problems, you insensitive cow!

I have no memory of this segment. Please tell me it was a Robert Z'Dar movie.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I have no memory of this segment. Please tell me it was a Robert Z'Dar movie.

It was a Robert Z'Dar movie.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

If she's up on her aviation history The Starfighters might be fun.

Edit: The jet in the movie was notoriously unsafe, mainly for the reasons that they mention as pluses. Its wings were too short and thin to actually hold it up and the plane crashed like crazy.

That ones a favorite. I've shown it to people mostly for Crows PC.

And I know about the Lawndart. Though most of it's rep was the decision to strap bombs to it and the Germans using a plane with a terrible glide ratio and landing approach angle in a nation with runways surrounded by mountains and or forests. The wings were fine- sharp wings means sharp turns :v:

Action Jacktion posted:

San Francisco International has a kid easily stealing a light plane and then being able to fly it with radio instructions. Also, security at the airport is terrible in general, with people sneaking onto the field and someone bringing a gun into the airport and on a plane.

Oh god that's perfect.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Davros1 posted:

I still contend with Red Zone Cuba that Francis came up with the last line "Griffin ran all the way to hell... with a penny, and a broken cigarette" first, then worked his way backwards to get to that point. It just stinks of "Isn't this line so incredibly deep?"

It's not at all deep, but it is a good line in a pulp fiction cover kind of way. And Carradine's delivery really sells it.

But yeah, the movie itself is typical Francis, i.e., he's the only one who understands or cares what's happening on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's not at all deep, but it is a good line in a pulp fiction cover kind of way. And Carradine's delivery really sells it.

But yeah, the movie itself is typical Francis, i.e., he's the only one who understands or cares what's happening on screen.

Oh, I know it's not deep, but you can imagine Francis thinking it was poignant as hell when he came up with it.